closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pay more for your garden waste collection?

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    What garden waste doesn't break down into compost?
    Well, over a reasonable timescale, a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Well, over a reasonable timescale, a tree.
    Better get a woodburner! To be fair, i don't think you'd fit a tree into a green bin anyway!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Branches take forever to break down as does most 'woody' stems.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Pay more for your garden waste collection?

I have an invasion of Horsetail and various evergreen shrubs and composting this is a nightmare including other forms of garden waste.
    I currently have 7 bins to put paper, plastic, food, tins/glass, general, cardboard and garden waste in, however had some work done in the house and emptied the hoover into the general waste bin (brick dust) after an Electrican drilled a few holes in the wall to find a note in my letterbox stating that the bin contained builders waste and was not going to be emptied.
    Our local tip now inspect your car to see what your disposing and that your not exceeding certain limits, however they wonder why fly tipping is such a great problem in Essex!
    Enough is enough it’s about time the local authorities take responsibility for spending on wasteful PC projects and appreciate that the majority require an actual service.

B

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Branches take forever to break down as does most 'woody' stems.

R
    I find woody stems break down into something useable within two to three years, you could speed this up with 'hot composting'. Thick stuff i burn. I don't have a chipper.
    I used to take my composting very seriously. Now i just stick it all on open heaps on a two year rotation. Seems to work fine. Nowhere near as good as the el primo black gold i used to harvest from my new Zealand bins but i can't be arsed these days
    Last edited by seikopath; 8th December 2017 at 23:24.

Better get a woodburner! To be fair, i don't think you'd fit a tree into a green bin anyway!
    2” max in ours.

I find woody stems break down into something useable within two to three years, you could speed this up with 'hot composting'. Thick stuff i burn. I don't have a chipper.
    I used to take my composting very seriously. Now i just stick it all on open heaps on a two year rotation. Seems to work fine. Nowhere near as good as the el primo black gold i used to harvest from my new Zealand bins but i can't be arsed these days
    I'm still a relative newbie at this lark, but the results so far have been good (except for the branches). I also have a suspicion that leylandii greenery isn't good in the heap?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Leylandii is very acidic, if you a serious gardener its all about the ph balance. It's just common sense really. Basically, you just want a really good balance. If you have too much of stuff like that at one time I'd burn it or alternatively you could use something like that as a mulch in a non sensitive area. But basically Leylandii is the devils curse. Burn the f***er

Some of these biodynamic types use branches as a 'slow release' form of energy in newly made beds. They call it 'hugelkultur' something. Never tried it myself but it seems to make sense.

If you have the space, just leaving a pile of rotting branches in a corner of the garden provides an excellent insect habitat. Much better and more effective than those insect houses you can buy from the garden centre that cost £££.

By the way, in our area the green bin contents is taken away for hot composting. They turn around the contents into usable compost within six to seven weeks, the compost is then sold at the council dumps, sorry, recycling centres. I could go on about composting but then I'd probably even bore myself. Dave.

If you have the space, just leaving a pile of rotting branches in a corner of the garden provides an excellent insect habitat. Much better and more effective than those insect houses you can buy from the garden centre that cost £££.
    I cut up a lot of bamboo into 4" lengths and bound them together into 'bug hotels'.

(I'd nominate bamboo as a garden waste that doesn't break down into compost). ;-)

R

Journeyman
    We were is Cambridgeshire until 18 months ago and the garden waste is hot composted on special site and recycled. No extra charges

we are now in Staffs Moorlands as yet no extra charge. Although they have just contracted East Cheshire to collect the waste so maybe changes soon.

Staffordshire now charge for building rubbish at the recycling center.

Cash straped as Councils are one thing is for certain we pay more for less each year.

I cut up a lot of bamboo into 4" lengths and bound them together into 'bug hotels'.

(I'd nominate bamboo as a garden waste that doesn't break down into compost). ;-)

R
    Canes can be very useful in the garden. People pay £££ for decent ones.

As for insect houses, if you want to attract solitary bees for example, don't use bamboo with more than 6mm internal diameter as they just aren't fit for purpose

R
    I just give it to the Panda.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Or you hide it in your normal bin.
    That's what a lot of people are doing are doing around here - then the non recycled tonnage increases against the recycled tonnage, council are fined and the cycle begins again.

I pay £37 ddeb for my brown bin.

B

Craftsman
    There’s 4 or us in my street who share a garden recycling bin. It’s MORE than big enough we only have a small lawn each. Few bedding plants.
    You wouldn’t believe what I put in house hold waste now they the local council dump charge. And fly tipping is they the roof.
    It’s a disgrace tho, I pay council tax and that’s meant to cover streetlights, emergency services and waste management. They need to learn to budget more effectively and stop wasting cash on the wrong things.

Master
    The garden waste collection (fortnightly) in Harrow is £75. You can have a second bin for £37.50, so we split the costs of the two with a neighbour.

In Harrow most of the libraries have now closed - they were meant to have been turned over to volunteers, but it did not come together. I think that next will be the park maintenance, they are looking for community groups to take some of them over.

We have 3 bins, recycle, waste and garden stuff, no charge for these but have the option to pay £40 for a extra green bun which we take up because of the size of the garden.
    Cheers..
    Jase