closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ladies watch around £1000

Craftsman

Ladies watch around £1000

One of the lads is wanting a ladies watch (not for himself!) It's his Mrs 50th and he's asked me for suggestions. He's looked at a Tag Link on watchfinder for around £750, I've told him you can pick one up new for around £1000
    Think he's pick Tag as he's heard of brand. I said I would have a look and see what I could find, that's where the knowledge of this forum would be helpful (please!)
    It's going to have to be a brand recognisable (as he ain't a clue) And I've had to push him from the £700 to £1000 (tight arse!)
    Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I bought SWMBO a Rado Jubile when we first met and she hasn’t worn any other watch since.
    She loves it and, being ceramic, looks as good today as when I bought it fifteen years ago.

Master
    Last edited by Stuno1; 6th January 2018 at 21:10.

Journeyman
    Be careful.
    I bought my wife what I thought was a lovely watch with an auto movement , A beautiful looking Tissot thing.

Everyday she goes out to work wearing either a pink lady G casio thing or a quartz 200m animal monstrosity that I bought her for diving.

Last year we went out for new year to Paris, I wore a tuxedo and she wore a very sexy black dress with stockings and little black knick nacks with a PINK lady G on her wrist.
    I give up I really do.

Paul.

I bought my missus a Mondaine quartz from a Brazilian rain forest for about 100 squid. She loves it to bits.

I spoil that woman, I really do.

She’d probably prefer a Michael kors for £200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for Rado - timelessly elegant and the ceramic finish means they just don't shows signs of wear.

Master
    My wife wears her longines every day but I would second quartz. She could not care less that it’s automatic and it actually annoys her that it loses time and I need to change it. My wife loves her watch. She used to wear a michael kors one but she does appreciate the quality difference between them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    Be careful.
    I bought my wife what I thought was a lovely watch with an auto movement , A beautiful looking Tissot thing.

Everyday she goes out to work wearing either a pink lady G casio thing or a quartz 200m animal monstrosity that I bought her for diving.

Last year we went out for new year to Paris, I wore a tuxedo and she wore a very sexy black dress with stockings and little black knick nacks with a PINK lady G on her wrist.
    I give up I really do.

Paul.
    Paul, I've looked at the auto Tissot earlier and look nice at not bad money.
    Thought about sending some pics to him to see what he thinks.
    Do you as I think the ladies would prefer a quartz ?
    I love winding, setting my watches but if it was for my Mrs don't think she would be that bothered!!

For Men and Women - unless they are actually into watches- always go quartz.

Craftsman
    I have to smile, would not mention my pals name (you never know who's on here, it's a small world) but I asked him why he was getting the watch and he said as an investment!! I explained that at that price he would never make a profit on the watch, but then he explained "I don't mean on the watch but it's my 50th a few months after so I'm expecting something nice back"
    I just shook my head (with a smile)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Paul, I've looked at the auto Tissot earlier and look nice at not bad money.
    Thought about sending some pics to him to see what he thinks.
    Do you as I think the ladies would prefer a quartz ?
    I love winding, setting my watches but if it was for my Mrs don't think she would be that bothered!!

I once said to my wife outside of a luxury jeweler, choose any item of jewelry you fancy , here is £1000 in cash.
    She bought a stainless steel letter opener with a gold bezel for £116.00 then we went to the tractor showroom and she bought a £2750.00 sit on lawn mower and added the 800 odd quid to it.

I give up.

Paul.
    Last edited by PaulM; 6th January 2018 at 22:15.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    I once said to my wife outside of a luxury jeweler, choose any item of jewelry you fancy , here is £1000 in cash.
    She bought a stainless steel letter opener with a gold bezel for £116.00 then we went to the tractor showroom and she bought a £2750.00 sit on lawn mower and added the 800 odd quid to it.

I give up.

Paul.
    LoL, know where you coming from.
    My wife is also 50 this year and I have suggested a nice ladies DJ or something similar, she is not at all bothered, would rather have a nice holiday!
    Loves the watch I gave her years ago that I had (first what I thought was a nice quality watch at the time!!)
    By the way anyone guess what it was and I will make a £10 donation to the fundraiser

I would agree with quartz. My wife thinks it’s pathetic when she sees me winding and setting one of my watches. She has a quartz tisot. Cost about £200 or £300.

Ladies Omega Seamaster. There may become coming to SC very soon for a very reasonable £900

Craftsman
    I got my wife an omega constellation and she loves it. Might be able to get one for around £1000

I would agree with the suggestions to go Quartz. I've bought my wife a few nice watches and the Quartz have been the best success. She loves an old vintage Omega Constellation Quartz in steel and gold as it will go with any choice of jewellery whether gold or silver. She also has a Quartz Breitling Colt Oceane that she likes as it looks 'bling'. Basically, she's only cares what it looks like rather than the mechanics.
    to the great suggestions about the ceramic Rado; I handed down to her my Rolex 36mm Rolex OP with Grape dial and it literally took her about a week to f@@k it up. She'd just take it off when going to the gym and throw it into the bottom of her hand bag to get 'stone washed' by the rest of the crap in there. At least a ceramic will withstand this abuse and still look good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My wife loves her Rados - she's now got three and they've been great. Good service too - put one in for a new battery a few months back at a cost of about £40 and when it came back it'd been cleaned up and had the crown and crystal replaced. They hadn't looked that shabby beforehand, I only knew they'd been changed because they returned the old ones with the watch.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I've been looking for something similar for my wife - after doing a bit of research i came up with the following two which i personally thought were both pretty good.

1) Longines Dolce Vita - quartz
    https://www.longines.co.uk/watches/l.../l5-258-4-71-6
    https://www.longines.co.uk/watches/l.../l5-255-4-71-6
    (both £930) there are quite a few other variants

2) Tissot Ballade Powermatic 80 COSC - automatic
    https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/...80-cosc-4.html
    £795

Having shown my wife both watches she:
    a) doesn't care about automatic or things like COSC
    b) preferred the strap on something like the omega below, though i'm a bit reluctant to paying £1760 for a quartz watch...
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...2410276005001/

Not sure the sort of discount that you might be able to get on these at a highstreet jeweller.

Bit of a minefield buying something for the missus - suggest cross-checking what she likes first - chances are her taste in watches is going to be different from what you think.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kermorvan666 View Post
    I've been looking for something similar for my wife - after doing a bit of research i came up with the following two which i personally thought were both pretty good.

1) Longines Dolce Vita - quartz
    https://www.longines.co.uk/watches/l.../l5-258-4-71-6
    https://www.longines.co.uk/watches/l.../l5-255-4-71-6
    (both £930) there are quite a few other variants

2) Tissot Ballade Powermatic 80 COSC - automatic
    https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/...80-cosc-4.html
    £795

Having shown my wife both watches she:
    a) doesn't care about automatic or things like COSC
    b) preferred the strap on something like the omega below, though i'm a bit reluctant to paying £1760 for a quartz watch...
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...2410276005001/

Not sure the sort of discount that you might be able to get on these at a highstreet jeweller.

Bit of a minefield buying something for the missus - suggest cross-checking what she likes first - chances are her taste in watches is going to be different from what you think.
    I've looked at Tissot and they seem to do a few nice ladies watches for under £1000.
    It is a minute field and am glad it's not me who's choosing.
    My pal did mention the Tag links and I've seen a nice MOP dial one at £1300, don't know if this would comment £1000, I've asked the question.

Frederique constant have Some very nice ladies watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    These are lovely and you’d haggle a good discount or use Quidco

I must confess that I like the look of the Ladies Tag Kirium whenever I see one; I think the design really suits the size.

Have you had a look at Nomus? Not quartz but very nice and modern.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/nomos/pri...es--att105.htm

Craftsman
    Got (what I think ain't a bad price) on a tag link £300 off an £1300 watch.
    But would not be my choice! I'm off Tag!
    But sent my pal some pics of some Tissot heart powermatic 80 and he's half up for one of these (probably because it's cheaper!) To be fair they look a nice watch for not alot of money, what movement do they put in these ??

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Don't buy a Tag. There are far better watches out there at similar prices.

Totally agree but I think alot of people looking at this price range come across Tag, recognise the brand and are hooked.
    I would rather get one from a brand not as well recognised but a better watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Got (what I think ain't a bad price) on a tag link £300 off an £1300 watch.
    But would not be my choice! I'm off Tag!
    But sent my pal some pics of some Tissot heart powermatic 80 and he's half up for one of these (probably because it's cheaper!) To be fair they look a nice watch for not alot of money, what movement do they put in these ??

The following links give quite a bit of background on the watch and the movement.
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tissot-...-111-movement/
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ti...ng-introducing

I'm a newbie so the benefits of a silicon balance spring are a bit lost on me.....

Journeyman
    The following links give quite a bit of background on the watch and the movement.
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tissot-...-111-movement/
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ti...ng-introducing

I'm a newbie so the benefits of a silicon balance spring are a bit lost on me.....

Just realised that you mentioned the heart model rather than the Ballade - so ignore my post - i think the Ballade uses a slightly different movement.

Craftsman
    Just realised that you mentioned the heart model rather than the Ballade - so ignore my post - i think the Ballade uses a slightly different movement.
    Good read though so thanks.
    I have sent pictures of this watch also and the movement, I'm surprised at seems good quality.

Master
    Can I just say this has been a very interesting thread. My wife loves watches so I always keep my eye open for good candidate, and as well my mother wants a new watch, so some good ideas.

As a suggestion from me, basically Japan market only but Seiko Lukia range has some very nice ladies watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Don't buy a Tag. There are far better watches out there at similar prices.

The guys wife might want a Tag. My wife loves her Tag as a good balance of a little bling , recognised brand name and can be worn with good WR. Showed her an Omega and she thought it was dull.

Craftsman
    Well my pal has made his choice, and he's going for this.
    After this little exercise Tissot make some nice ladies watches at decent money, even found myself looking at one for the wife, would have to be one of the Automatic ones though. The powermatic look great value.