closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holiday in Tunisia?

Holiday in Tunisia?

Was about to book a lazy week in the sun in early May. Can’t decide between Tenerife/Lanzarote or Cape Verde or Crete (not as hot in May?)

And then noticed Tunisia was back on the destinations list.

It’s a bit of a bargain. A few reasonable looking 4/5 star hotels around the £520pp mark, all inclusive for the first week in May, with Thomas Cook.

Is it a daft idea? Any other recommendations for a week of May sunshine and R&R?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Was about to book a lazy week in the sun in early May. Can’t decide between Tenerife/Lanzarote or Cape Verde or Crete (not as hot in May?)

It’s a bit of a bargain. A few reasonable looking 4/5 star hotels around the £520pp mark, all inclusive for the first week in May, with Thomas Cook.

Is it a daft idea? Any other recommendations for a week of May sunshine and R&R?
    Might there be a reason why it is an apparent bargain?

Tough call, we went a few times in the nineties and really enjoyed it, but now?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I'm torn about this - from a purely numerical and evidence based point of view, you are more likely to die from food posioning than from a jihadist and thus my rational mind says to take advantage of the deal and support a country that needs the support for various reasons.

But I wouldn't go.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I'm torn about this - from a purely numerical and evidence based point of view, you are more likely to die from food posioning than from a jihadist and thus my rational mind says to take advantage of the deal and support a country that needs the support for various reasons.

But I wouldn't go.
    A random Jihadist might ruin your holiday I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    A random Jihadist might ruin your holiday I guess!
    Or a nutter in a Vegas hotel...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

Indeed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

Funny how certain types of “terrorist” stick more in our minds than others. We are going to Vegas next spring, not sure we would go to Tunisia. Aren’t people odd?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Funny how certain types of “terrorist” stick more in our minds than others. We are going to Vegas next spring, not sure we would go to Tunisia. Aren’t people odd?
    Agreed. We were there in October just gone, and have just booked to go back the same time next year. Not a second thought.

No correct answer or advice...........

It is all down to your own personal assessment of risk.

Al

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Al
    Indeed.
    Although you have to take that a package holiday company aren't going to take you anywhere particularly dangerous.
    I don't think it would bother me, at what point do you stop; I mean any Western city is probably fairly high on a hit list nowadays, but it wouldn't stop me going.

I guess it is. One might think that the chances of a terrorist attacking the same place that’s already been “done” would be very small.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Maybe Cap Verde is a better bet.

On a similar note, I’ve wanted to visit Cairo for years. It is such a shame not to feel it’s safe enough to go!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    Indeed.
    Although you have to take that a package holiday company aren't going to take you anywhere particularly dangerous.
    I don't think it would bother me, at what point do you stop; I mean any Western city is probably fairly high on a hit list nowadays, but it wouldn't stop me going.
    But there are risk controls, and risk controls. Tunisian ones are not (imo) way up there. And the second sentence is a bit naive.

Been Tunisia and wasn’t too impressed and it wasn’t that warm ,Egypt was good last time I went in April,not too sure now ,it would be Canaries for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Have you thought about Morocco? I go 2 or 3 times each year, it's close, great climate, some fantastic hotels and riads. Worth a look?

Also you can find some good Dubai deals in May but that's if you like it hot... And early May...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    Indeed.
    The package holiday are playing the odds, just like any company, the question is - as a husband/father - do you want to play those odds.

"At what point do you stop?" - when the risk isn't justified in your eyes. The actual risk is fixed, the perceived risk is what varies from individual to individual.

Al

I went to Tunisia a few years back (prior to the attack) and I wasn't impressed. Very little outside of the hotel, particularly when it came to infrastructure, and a rather nasty attitude to women which made my partner feel very uncomfortable. I much prefer the Canaries, much less of a "milk the tourists" attitude.

Saying that, things could have changed, but I won't be bothering to return

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Al
    ^^^^ This, personally, I wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, no and no. I have been twice now and both were truly awful holidays never to be repeated! At least one was spent with a very nice young companion that made up for the rest of the holiday.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I wouldn’t go but not because of fear of terrorist attacks.
    It’s because I had the worst holiday ever there in the 80s.
    Couldn’t set foot outside the hotel without being pestered by rude Tunisians trying to rip you off.
    The hotel beach in those days had an armed guard to keep the local populace away.
    Lovely country, but the people put me off. Would never go there again.

Holiday in Tunisia?

Greece is my recommendation for May. Usually fantastic weather - went every May half term for 7 years on the run.

Try the Peloponnese as it’s a relatively short drive from Athens (so abundance of frequent and cheap as chips scheduled flights from the U.K.) now the motorway is open all the way to Kalamata.

Fantastic sites and places - Mystras, Mycenae, Olympia, Kardimili, Stoupa, Monemvassia, Pylos/Navarrone (as in the guns of) Mani etc etc. Some of the best beaches in Greece and water is a comfortable 72F in late May.

Lounging on the warm beach while looking up at the snow capped 10,000 ft Taygetos mountains in May is a sight. Great local food and wine. Certainly the best value I found across the whole of Greece and eating out/vino is a fraction of the cost of the more traditional Med or Canary Island holidays.

Don’t take it from me though. It was Lonely Planet’s best place in Europe to visit last year.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/europe/...2-1479d276e30c

We’re off there next May half term with the kids.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 7th December 2017 at 09:57.

Thanks for the tips. That’s defo made up my mind about Tunisia. I remember going when I was a kid and thought it was fab but do remember my parents hating the locals hassling us all the time.

The Greece idea above is a good one.

Have wanted to go to this place for a few years. Probably affordable in May! Just wonder if it’s warm enough in May for the wife to be happy on a sun lounger by the pool??

http://www.romanoscostanavarino.com/...t=noneAudience

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would of thought it was cheaper than that for Tunisia.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you thought of Sardinia?
    I went on a touring Holliday last year it was less crowded than many places.
    The times I did get to the beach it was like paradise,I much preferred it to Corsica.
    Lots of space,good food and the people where very friendly.

https://www.sardinianplaces.co.uk/weather

Having spoken to someone who was in the Tunisia holiday ‘incident’ I certainly wouldn’t go there.
    Long story short, their security is an absolute joke.

Holidays to Tunisia, and Egypt, are cheap for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
    I went to Tunisia a few years back (prior to the attack) and I wasn't impressed. Very little outside of the hotel, particularly when it came to infrastructure, and a rather nasty attitude to women which made my partner feel very uncomfortable. I much prefer the Canaries, much less of a "milk the tourists" attitude.

Chris
    I wouldn't go there to take Liz for the same reason. Plus I don't trust them and their security... no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post

Chris
    I'd concur with this - it was our experience also. The whole country is trying to get in your wallet from the moment you land, and behind the smiles they don't actually like us much at all.

Similar in Morocco, but there is more to do and see there.

At the moment, I wouldn't consider going again.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Thanks for the tips. That’s defo made up my mind about Tunisia. I remember going when I was a kid and thought it was fab but do remember my parents hating the locals hassling us all the time.

The Greece idea above is a good one.

Have wanted to go to this place for a few years. Probably affordable in May! Just wonder if it’s warm enough in May for the wife to be happy on a sun lounger by the pool??

http://www.romanoscostanavarino.com/...t=noneAudience
    As mentioned above, I've been to the Peloponnese 7 times in late May. By late May the weather is usually very settled and you can expect high in the low 80s and its usually warm enough in the evening to dine out in T-shirt and shorts. Over that time I seem to remember around 5 days of bad weather over 50 days of holiday, so my guess is around 10% of the time. As mentioed the sea is warm enough to swim in in late May. If you go early May everything will be just a bit cooler.

May in the Pelopponese is not that busy and no Greeks go on holiday at that time. So, if you are looking for a bit of bustle somewhere like Kardimili or Stoupa both have a nice buzz, whith the latter having 20-25 restaurants set around a very pretty horshoe beach, with another 5-6 restuarants around the next beach (Kalogria).

Food is very good quality and exceptional value, with main couses around 8 Euros and a kilo of (very good) barrel wine for around 6 Euros.

I've been to Pylos/Navarone and whilst very nice would take Stoupa/Kardimili over it every day. The drive from Kalamata to Stoupa is up there with some of the finest scenic drives in the world IMO.

Incidentally, I did have a load of Starwood points to burn and considered staying in the hotel you have sent a link to. But, we like the real Greece experience and dining out in tavernas for lunch and dinner, and this hotel was a bit far out of the way. And to be honest a nice hotel far out of the way from the restuarant/cultural scene, means you could be anywhere in the world.

As we are all different YMMV. Good luck wherever you choose.

We are doing Monemvassia, The Mani and Stoupa as a family, and very much looking forward to it. The kids are now teeangers, and we've been taking them to, and had fantastic holidays on the Pelopponese since we they where nippers, so the place hold very, very fond memories for us.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 7th December 2017 at 13:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    But there are risk controls, and risk controls. Tunisian ones are not (imo) way up there. And the second sentence is a bit naive.
    I would agree with your assessment there, they probably aren't as controlled, no.
    I don't see why the second sentence was naive; I think it's fair to say we have fairly differing viewpoints on the situation, it doesn't make me naive however.

Anyone been to the Olympia hotels? It seems there are 3 all set together, not far from the Kalamata airport, where BA fly to. Their prices are very good, in May.

Not sure the wife will think it's hot enough to sunbathe though. I did mention Dubai, but that'll be way TOO hot in May!!

Why is it always such a massive headache booking holidays!?

http://www.olympiarivierathalasso.com

http://www.mandolarosa.com/photo-gallery/the-hotel.html