closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persistence Rewarded - Smiths Radio Room Watch Plus A Bonus

Persistence Rewarded - Smiths Radio Room Watch Plus A Bonus

Some of you will have seen my on-going hunt for a Smiths Radio Room Watch via the WTB section and via various grumbles in WT that I thought I had been beaten on this occasion. Those who posted pictures of theirs in the Friday thread probably received a PM or two from me over the months pestering them to sell.

I even did a WTB on watchuseek, which was fun as I became a target for Nigerian Scammers all who ended up being banned. I asked one for images and the rascal lifted images off Google. I did a WTB on the Omega Forum as well and alas all without success.

Everyone who buys a Timefactors watch says it is one of Eddie's finest. Whilst this is, it is a little different as it is a direct tribute to the more famous clocks which indeed have a rich history and are admired by collectors. The was only 100 made as a limited edition around 2010 and they have long since disappeared and rarely, if ever, come up for sale.

Whilst hunting I did find and buy this:

It is an Astral (trading name of Smiths) Quartz Radio Room Clock from the 1970s with a Junghans Quartz movement and is in wonderful condition.

Anyway, fast forward to Tuesday night and whilst watching Sky Sports and tapping away on my i-pad a PM comes through from Dunk (sundial) asking if I would be interested in buying his Radio Room Watch, numbered 100 out of 100, virtually mint full set as it has been a safe queen over the years.

Not only that, Dunk pointed me towards Eddie's page on the PRS-28:

http://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs28.htm

He said, see the clock in the listing (image credited to him) which it states the watch is based on, if you buy the watch would you like to buy the clock as well.

I responded in seconds - tell me where to pay.

Anyway after a very smooth transaction and Dunk having flu he managed to get to the Post Office and sent it on its way. The package arrived this morning and I am chuffed to little mint balls - as they say around these parts.

Some images:

So, what is it like. It is 40mm but the dial must be the biggest dial that I have had on a 40mm watch due to a very narrow bezel, so it wears more like a 42mm watch. Extremely comfortable and clear and yes, probably a bit of a Marmite watch. There will be those reading this that absolutely hate it. Each to their own and all that. Delighted to have one at long last and no, it won't be flipped.

The fundraiser will also benefit because Matthew (Mr Curta) very generously put in my WTB that if anyone sold their watch to me he would put £25 in the fundraiser. Obviously I then matched that offer and when Dunk heard about it he also wanted to contribute. Every penny counts.

As people have helped me, I would equally like to try and help Pete (Mainspring) who is a Lifeboat man at Hoylake up the road from me who has also been chasing one of these watches without success.

If anyone reading has one not being worn, please give Pete first dibs.

Once again the WTBs deliver and my 2017 aspiration arrived with three weeks to spare...

Many thanks to Dunk, Matthew and all the other guys who told me that they were keeping a lookout for me.

Regards,
    Ken
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 6th December 2017 at 17:37.

Very nice indeed - you now have the "full set!"

That is dope. The shnizzle with the wizzle.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Great result, proof that persistency pays off.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I'm truly delighted that your cunning plan bore fruit.

Well done to all those concerned .
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What a great story,that’s the bulldog spirit never give in I admire your persistence.
    Have you put the clock up on the wall?

Edit when I click on your photo I get a lot of adds for hot Russian woman,is this a sideline?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    What a great story,that’s the bulldog spirit never give in I admire your persistence.
    Have you put the clock up on the wall?

Edit when I click on your photo I get a lot of adds for hot Russian woman,is this a sideline?
    Haven't decided where to put the clock yet, the Quartz clock is in the hall at present. This older one is a bit louder.

No sure about those Russian ladies, I clicked on one image and it just took me to Postimage. You must have links sitting in your computer from previous activities

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Haven't decided where to put the clock yet, the Quartz clock is in the hall at present. This older one is a bit louder.

No sure about those Russian ladies, I clicked on one image and it just took me to Postimage. You must have links sitting in your computer from previous activities
    previous activities have been varied let’s leave it at that.

Glad you found it, odd thing is the Radio Room watch seemed to be up for sale on timefactors for years without selling out then soon as they were gone they suddenly became desirable!

I had a couple of WTB threads on other forums on your behalf, I will leave them up for any other potential buyer, if one comes my way I will pass it on.

Craftsman
    That’s lovely and I proper geeked out at the reason for the red and green segments. A beautiful nod to another era.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Glad you found it, odd thing is the Radio Room watch seemed to be up for sale on timefactors for years without selling out then soon as they were gone they suddenly became desirable!

I had a couple of WTB threads on other forums on your behalf, I will leave them up for any other potential buyer, if one comes my way I will pass it on.
    Thank you Robert, very much appreciated. It does seem odd, but that seems to be a reoccurring theme with rarer watches, think four digit reference Daytonas for example, Rolex couldn't shift them in the 70s and 80s and now they are extremely desirable and expensive.

2010 was before my time on here, maybe it is the 'sold out and discontinued' that sparks the interest

As people have helped me, I would equally like to try and help Pete (Mainspring) who is a Lifeboat man at Hoylake up the road from me who has also been chasing one of these watches without success.

If anyone reading has one not being worn, please give Pete first dibs.
    Surely Pete can just wait a couple of weeks until you decide to move yours along.

Until then, well done on the persistence Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Surely Pete can just wait a couple of weeks until you decide to move yours along.

Until then, well done on the persistence Ken.
    He is only 4 miles up the road...

I see in your group photo you have an older clockwork Astral. Very nice 😻 What year is that, is it mod stamped?

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    I see in your group photo you have an older clockwork Astral. Very nice  What year is that, is it mod stamped?
    That is the clock that Dunk sold me, which arrived today and is the clock that the limited edition watch is based on. I assume that I would need to get into the movement to answer your question, which I don't really want to do. There are no obvious markings on the outer case.

Following the thread on perspective, I took this shot tonight, a sort of SOTC if you like. Both watches are 40mm, but the Rolex looks a lot smaller due to the bigger bezel.

Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 6th December 2017 at 20:34.

Master
    Congratulations, persistence has prevailed.

I seem to recall you bought a Smith's astral clock from eBay a while ago so do you now have two?

I really don’t want to like that watch, but somehow I do.

Glad you got one though.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I seem to recall you bought a Smith's astral clock from eBay a while ago so do you now have two?
    Yes, that's the first image in my opening post, the Astral Quartz with the Blue segments. So yes, I now have two (at present)

That was a weird one, no one was bidding.

Cracking stuff Ken. Very pleased for you!

Steve

Congratulations Ken, I'm really pleased that this worked out so well in the end.

Being an inquisitive soul I've naturally had my Smiths Astral Radio Room clock apart. I can't be certain but I suspect that the movement in yours is similar. Mine does not bear any specific markings. The 8-day movement keeps excellent time.

Master
    Let me know if you want to flip it!

Congratulations, a lovely looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Congratulations Ken, I'm really pleased that this worked out so well in the end.

Being an inquisitive soul I've naturally had my Smiths Astral Radio Room clock apart. I can't be certain but I suspect that the movement in yours is similar. Mine does not bear any specific markings. The 8-day movement keeps excellent time.
    Thank you Matthew for all your help and the donation, greatly appreciated. Dunk told me that the clock had been recently serviced when he got it and he has kept it fair regularly wound. I am happy to leave it as is, but yes mine is also an 8 day winder.

I was looking at google images to see what straps and NATOs suit the watch. I assume you have one of Eddie's as I have seen similar on his site. I think the best match was a special edition Italian NATO which I think looks absolutely superb, it looks like it was made for the Watch. Check out my WTB tinight.

Master
    Its really good to hear that this all worked out for you so well. Even better that it was all within this forum.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cool little story!!!!! Great a member answered your call

A refreshing thread compared to some of late lol

Just thought that I would share this image of what the wife has done to my Clock.

I suppose if it sticks out it's going to get tinsel wrapped round it

Craftsman
    Congratulations on these Ken - your dogged persistence and patience has finally been rewarded.

Thanks for the shout that I am still desperate for one of these, and if anyone is feeling generous and Christmassy, I will happily copy Ken's donation to the fundraiser!

I am currently up in Perth and will be able to respond to pm's tonight (here's hoping!).

Anyway, back on topic, delighted for you Ken!

Enjoy both the watch, and the clock!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I was looking at google images to see what straps and NATOs suit the watch. I assume you have one of Eddie's as I have seen similar on his site. I think the best match was a special edition Italian NATO which I think looks absolutely superb, it looks like it was made for the Watch. Check out my WTB tinight.
    Yes, mine's on a Darlena leather and canvas from Timefactors. The NATO looks great.

That's a great story.

Well done to all involved.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Love a funky colourful watch and great to see your persistence rewarded. Enjoy and get it on tomorrow for the Friday thread 😀
    Maybe you should repaint the entire wall to complement the clock.....

I'm really glad you got one, Ken!!! That has been a real hunt – but worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    I'm really glad you got one, Ken!!! That has been a real hunt – but worth it!
    Many thanks. I love the colours on your NATO. I spent some time last night on Google images trying to find the strap or NATO that I thought best matched the watch. This was the winner imho:

I did a WTB to see if anyone had one or could point me in the right direction and it turns out a supplier in the US sells then, it is a special Italian edition NATO. I ordered one this morning.

^^^ That really does work well. Could you point me that way too? Nice to have some options!

Mine is one of Eddie's as I'm sure you know.

I've always felt that Eddie could have used the PRS-28 case as a base for many face and hand designs – its rock solid but has some lovely elegant touches too.

^^^ That really does work well. Could you point me that way too? Nice to have some options!

Mine is one of Eddie's as I'm sure you know.

I've always felt that Eddie could have used the PRS-28 case as a base for many face and hand designs – its rock solid but has some lovely elegant touches too.
    https://www.strapcode.com/store/20mm...l#.WilcatGnyhB

It was $30 including international shipping, just under £24 when I paid by PayPal. Delivery 1 to 2 weeks. A little expensive for a NATO, but the colour match to the dial is quite superb.

I like the completely flat back, it sits superbly on the wrist and is very comfortable. More manufacturers should try it instead of sticky out casebacks.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 7th December 2017 at 16:25.

Personally I would have gone to Cousins - you'd already pounced by the time I saw your WTB.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/nato-style-flags#

£1.75 plus VAT.

Banned
    Congratulations , the nato you have chosen looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Personally I would have gone to Cousins - you'd already pounced by the time I saw your WTB.

£1.75 plus VAT.
    Thanks, aren't they wholesale only. I'm not registered with them and I have seen on threads here that they were getting tough on people falsely declaring themselves as dealers.

Thanks, aren't they wholesale only. I'm not registered with them and I have seen on threads here that they were getting tough on people falsely declaring themselves as dealers.
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to that; if they were really strict they'd probably go out of business.

Master
    Also plenty of folk on here would grab you one on an order too, I would if you decide you want one. Be ordering some bits over the weekend so let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Also plenty of folk on here would grab you one on an order too, I would if you decide you want one. Be ordering some bits over the weekend so let me know.
    Just beware that they often deliver to the account holder address regardless; I've had a couple of things delivered to home when I explicitly asked them to go to the office (actually addressed to a colleague who I was doing a favour for). It's not a big deal but it might mean the cost of another stamp and a couple of day's delay.

You finally got one! Hard to believe they hung around so long, can't tell you how many times I added one to my basket but there were always other priorities. They were a bigger bargain the more time went on as if I recall they were never given a price increase.

Anyway lovely to get the clock to go with it, goes to show you really do need to persist. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Thanks guys, but I think I am covered now. I ordered a few pieces from Gas Gas Bones last weekend and the NATO from the States and I was going to order a few pieces from Eddie today, so I don't think I will be needing any more for now.

Just changed the Watch over to a Black two piece NATO. I didn't even know they existed until I saw one on the Gas Gas Bones website last week. It came today and looks much better than the rather dull original tan Brown strap. The NATO wears like a strap, nothing behind the watch and no folding bit at the end, but on the wrist it feels and looks like a NATO. It will do until my Italian edition NATO arrives from the States.

I always cut the extra bit off my nylon straps - looks better getting the buckle under the wrist and no bulk. I'd like to find a perlon that worked too.

I always cut the extra bit off my nylon straps - looks better getting the buckle under the wrist and no bulk. I'd like to find a perlon that worked too.
    This two piece works really well on the back of the wrist. The buckle sits where it should and the two fixed holders don't move around like they do on a strap and there is a little over a cm of rounded strap left after the second holder. Much neater than a bulkier NATO.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks good,I am eagerly waiting for my GGB order.
    did he email you when it was on the way?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Looks good,I am eagerly waiting for my GGB order.
    did he email you when it was on the way?
    No. I did pay £2.50 for Signed For, but didn't know it was on its way. The Postman just rang the bell at lunchtime. I did order stuff that was in his other section, so he must of had it in stock. I ordered 2 x pairs of spring pins and he sent me 4 pairs - top bloke.

Pleased the images thing worked for you

Master
    Blog Entries
    His straps are made to order so I may have a short wait,he’s very clear about it so no complaints just keen to get them.

Thanks for the image posting tip,ridiculousy easy compared to what I had been trying.

I’m very pleased for you, Ken. Please forgive me if I say that it’s not my cup of tea (but then wouldn’t life be dull if we all liked the same things)!

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk