closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What HAQ do people have?

What HAQ do people have?

After reading the thread 'The Convenience of Quartz' it got me thinking what High Accuracy Quartz watches are popular. For me, I have found myself wearing my Breitling Aerospace more and more at weekends (due to the convenience) but what HAQ are everyone else wearing.
    Thought it would be nice for some show and tell. These are the HAQ that I have/had...

Bulova Accutron II: initially loved it and the smoothest of sweeping hands was great but the strap felt really cheap and it started to bug me. Got flipped after about six months.

Breitling Colt Skyracer: The size of the watch and the Breitlight material made it feel like a cheap child's watch. Loved the idea but IMHO just didn't work... for me at least.

Breitling Aerospace: Just love this watch. As mentioned, every weekend I find myself reaching for this one!

Certina DS Action: latest acquisition and so far vey impressed. These can be picked up for a steel (mine was £250 brand new box and papers). To be honest quality is easily comparable to my Tag Aquaracer for a fraction of the price. Would certainly recommend.

Over to you...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I have a Grand Seiko SBGT021 - supposedly accurate to 10spy, but mine is pretty much spot on (maybe 2spy at my current rate). Not sure if there's a more accurate watch out there... The Citizen Chronomaster?

Seiko 7A38 for me - they really hit the spot with these IMO. I have one black (well, sort of!), one white and REALLY enjoy owning them:

The 15 jewel quartz movement:

No VHP owners yet?

Blog Entries
    I have this Bulova Precisionist which is very accurate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    No VHP owners yet?
    I had one of those Longines VHP models back in the mid-1990s. Titanium and gold plated. It was my one and only watch for many years. It’s a shame that Longines haven’t revived that old model. To my mind it looks much better than the latest one.

More than a couple here... all in Ti too

A picture thread it seems, so some of mine old and present:

Day Date Oysterquartz

Grand Seiko 9F82

Seiko 8F32

Seiko 8F56

Grand Seiko 8J55

Grand Seiko 8J56

Movement shot of the latter, in an old Seiko Lord Marvel case:

A bit nicer than the 9F to my eyes.

Apprentice

What HAQ do people have?

Grand Seiko SBGV027 9F Quartz. Hasn’t varied by even 1 second in 10 months.

Last edited by teb1013; 6th December 2017 at 04:38.

Master
    My one and only HAQ:

If it had a quick-set hour hand, it would be perfect. Even without it, it’s a great watch.

[QUOTE=reggie747;4588009]More than a couple here... all in Ti too

Love the look of this Chronomaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I have two currently, The Citizen Chronomaster CTQ57-1201 and CTQ57-0952:

I especially like the 1201, being a bit of a dressier model with a wonderfully detailed bracelet. The watch also looks beautiful on the leather strap. The white-faced titanium 0952 doesn't get as much wrist time, as the automatic The Citizen NA0000-59B (in the middle) gets worn more as an all around watch. Both Chronomasters are really well made and finished, though, some of the best bangs for a buck I can think of.

I've also had a couple of GS quartzes - SBGX063 and 061. Wonderful little pieces, with impeccable finishing, but sadly the case shape just doesn't do it for me. It's a bit too cushion-y for my tastes. I would love a GS SBGV009, though, but those are very hard to find for a good price.

Do these qualify?

"A man of little significance"

I own both the current watches in the Bulova Archive Series - the Moonwatch and the Stars & Stripes. Both fitted with the 262khz Accutron movement.

I’ve also just bought the grey Lobster as well to keep them company...

Simon

Just this Bulova bargain.

Might be a dumb question but what defines a Quartz as a HAQ?

I had until recently a Quartz Raymond Weil Tango Date, would that qualify?

Master
    No VHP owners yet?
    As soon as I can find one I will try one - they look good to me (except the carbon dial) and with independent motors, perpetual calendar, continuous seconds etc they're ticking all the right boxes. However Jura is still preorder and I can't find anywhere with stock?

Craftsman
    The beater

Rolex Oysterquartz (17000) SS beater; Cartier Santos quartz in steel/gold for dress wear; Audemars Piguet Huitième chronograph in yellow gold; Glashütte Original Senator Excellence SS; Glashütte Original Panoreserve SS; bated breath for arrival of Stowa Flieger.
    Need more . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post

I had until recently a Quartz Raymond Weil Tango Date, would that qualify?
    To my mind it needs to have either a thermo-compensated movement, or a higher than usual (32khz) oscillating frequency. I wouldn't include Radio controlled or 'just lucky' movements that can keep to <1sec per month. But maybe quartz watches with a manufacturer's spec of <2 sec per month would also qualify?

Interesting to hear what other people's opinions are.

By that definition my only one is my Aerospace.
    Last edited by Caruso; 6th December 2017 at 14:44.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Whilst there is no formal definition of the phrase High Accuracy Quartz, there seems to be general acceptance that a watch must retain an accuracy within +/- 10 spy to qualify. Some form of thermocompensation (tc) is usually required to guarantee this level of performance with a mass produced movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Do these qualify?
    I think you might just get away with sneaking those two in. A lovely pair, as they say.

Are the Bulovas in this thread actually High ACCURACY Quartz? I know they oscillate very quickly, but are they actually any more accurate than normal quartz watches? I've had a Snorkel II reissue and have a Moonwatch, but I don't think of them as HAQ.

I do have these two:

M.

Concerning Bulova the following link is helpful. http://wornandwound.com/guide-to-hig...z-haq-watches/

Master
    Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the Tissot model.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    To my mind it needs to have either a thermo-compensated movement, or a higher than usual (32khz) oscillating frequency. I wouldn't include Radio controlled or 'just lucky' movements that can keep to <1sec per month. But maybe quartz watches with a manufacturer's spec of <2 sec per month would also qualify?

Interesting to hear what other people's opinions are.

By that definition my only one is my Aerospace.
    Pretty much what I think too. The idea is that the movement is very accurate on its own. I very much like my GPS and radio controlled G-Shocks, but they're not very accurate on their own, so don't qualify.

Agreed atomic time sync must be cheating surely?

Love the b1 regret selling it

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Do these qualify?

If they do, then so does this

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There is this Bulova Accutron 11.

Then there is this Credor HAQ.

Mitch

Master
    This one. I'm thinking of maybe trading this for full gold one.

I never realised the OysterQuartz was temperature compensated till now. Want one slightly more now.

http://www.oysterquartz.net/the_5035_movement.htm

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    This one. I'm thinking of maybe trading this for full gold one.

Love the integrated bracelets on this. What's the clasp like?

Master
    As far as I'm concerned a High-Accuracy Quartz watch HAS to have thermo-compensation - which rules out the Bulova Precisionist/Accutron II movements. One of my early Precisionist movements was actually a worse timekeeper than my PRS18Q although I have one of those Military-style Bulovas which is reasonably accurate, BUT little or no better than any of my other quartz watches. Amongst my conventional quartz watches there is a Hamilton Khaki Field quartz which has consistently maintained +3 seconds over a whole 6 month period - and that is good enough for me.

The other point is that unless the movement offers independent adjustment of the hour hand, as some do, you only ever need the watch to be accurate for 6 months because of the BST/GMT change.

Master
    I prefer quartz for the convenience and accuracy and these are all accurate to a second a month or better.

Cheers
    Neil

Is the seamaster a HAQ?

(I have one myself).

Is the seamaster a HAQ?

(I have one myself).
    That's a good question. My AT Quartz is up there with the accuracy, but don't know if that's the spec or what technology is used so presume not.

I believe the early versions of the earlier SM quartz came with the TC movement. Also, I don't believe the Citizen chronmaster is TC, but it is still very accurate and I'd call it HAQ.

Interesting discussions about the definition of HAQ. When starting the thread I was thinking ‘my definition’ was manufacture specified as +\- 10spy. In regards to TC, I believed that it is purely a technology used to achieve that specification. Similar to Bulova using Ultra High Frequency quartz to achieve the specs. So my believe is that all TC watches are HAQ but not all HAQ are TC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    Love the integrated bracelets on this. What's the clasp like?

The clasp is a regular Datejust clasp. It's a heavy watch for it's size, about the same as a Submariner. It's still super comfortable with the integrated bracelet and the bit of adjustment you get with the clasp.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Are the Bulovas in this thread actually High ACCURACY Quartz? I know they oscillate very quickly, but are they actually any more accurate than normal quartz watches? I've had a Snorkel II reissue and have a Moonwatch, but I don't think of them as HAQ.

M.
    Yes I believe they are. My understanding is the tuning fork technology and the UHF movement qualify them as HAQ.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    There is this Bulova Accutron 11.

Mitch
    Momentary thread hijack... you don't see many of these about. I've just bought one and it's turning up today. Looking forward to it very much.

As you were...

Simon

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I've always wondered about these. It's an ETA 955.612 I think which is the same movement as in my Bell & Ross Hydromax. I don't think it's thermocompensated and has nothing in it to define it as a true HAQ. Mine gains between 1 and 2 a month I think so it's close for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

I have owned a Bulova Precisionist for a while and was very disappointed with it as it gained eight seconds in three months.
    However I set this when the clocks went back in October and it's still +-0.

My next best was an Aerospace which I left running for a while year without resetting and it gained a massive three seconds.

Sent using my finger and the TZ-UK app
    Last edited by luddite; 7th December 2017 at 15:05.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

I've read a few places, the same statement "high accuracy quartz or high end quartz, generally categorized as watches that are specified to plus or minus 10 seconds a year."

I'm not sure who defines this (COSC?), but the non-Precisionist Bulovas don't meet this (the full Precisionists do, apparently) according to their spec (I think the issue is that Bulova never claimed these were as accurate, the manual says "gives accuracy within 5 seconds/month" - That could just be to distinguish the dearer models, but is supposed to be due to the size of the batteries).

I'm not trying to discredit the Bulovas, I think they're good watches, especially at their price point, but I don't believe they actually qualify as HAQs, even if some individual watches exceed their spec.

A Tuning Fork watch was High Accuracy in its time, but probably doesn't better most normal quartz watches today.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 7th December 2017 at 15:27.

Master
    Are you quite sure you have two currently?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffon.bj View Post
    I have two currently, The Citizen Chronomaster CTQ57-1201 and CTQ57-0952:

I especially like the 1201, being a bit of a dressier model with a wonderfully detailed bracelet. The watch also looks beautiful on the leather strap. The white-faced titanium 0952 doesn't get as much wrist time, as the automatic The Citizen NA0000-59B (in the middle) gets worn more as an all around watch. Both Chronomasters are really well made and finished, though, some of the best bangs for a buck I can think of.

I've also had a couple of GS quartzes - SBGX063 and 061. Wonderful little pieces, with impeccable finishing, but sadly the case shape just doesn't do it for me. It's a bit too cushion-y for my tastes. I would love a GS SBGV009, though, but those are very hard to find for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Are you quite sure you have two currently?
    Yes , I’m glad I’m not the only one who found that confusing

Simon

Master
    I think the source of our confusion might be different. I'm rather hoping the 0952 is in the post to me, as of this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Yes , I’m glad I’m not the only one who found that confusing

Simon

I have a Precista PRS-17-C which has gained less than 1 second since the clocks went back.

I don't know if this constitutes an HAQ but it certainly works for me!

Chronometre on the dial, so it must be...

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    I think the source of our confusion might be different. I'm rather hoping the 0952 is in the post to me, as of this morning!
    Aah, I see. My confusion of course was centred around the fact that he posted a comment about two watches with a photo of three

Hope you get your watch soon...

Simon