closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What HAQ do people have?

Quote Originally Posted by dmpl View Post
    I have a Precista PRS-17-C which has gained less than 1 second since the clocks went back.

I don't know if this constitutes an HAQ but it certainly works for me!
    Same here, Citizen Ray Mears that has not deviated at all from my phone time. Not sure if that means I have a so-called haq movement in it but sure these weren't sold as such.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've read a few places, the same statement "high accuracy quartz or high end quartz, generally categorized as watches that are specified to plus or minus 10 seconds a year."

I'm not sure who defines this (COSC?), but the non-Precisionist Bulovas don't meet this (the full Precisionists do, apparently) according to their spec (I think the issue is that Bulova never claimed these were as accurate, the manual says "gives accuracy within 5 seconds/month" - That could just be to distinguish the dearer models, but is supposed to be due to the size of the batteries).

I'm not trying to discredit the Bulovas, I think they're good watches, especially at their price point, but I don't believe they actually qualify as HAQs, even if some individual watches exceed their spec.

A Tuning Fork watch was High Accuracy in its time, but probably doesn't better most normal quartz watches today.

M
    That’s interesting. However hard I’ve tried I can’t find an official Bulova spec for the 262khz UHF movement that identifies the level of accuracy claimed for it. They do seem to be quite coy about it.

The oldest of my three is my Moonwatch, and that certainly appears to be operating comfortably within the +/-10 spy that seems to be the accepted level of accuracy for HAQ - it gained just 3 seconds in 6 months...

It’s interesting that they chose to call their movement High Performance Quartz rather than High Accuracy Quartz.

Simon

Master
    Thanks! Me too! It's just arrived in Germany, which is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Aah, I see. My confusion of course was centred around the fact that he posted a comment about two watches with a photo of three

Hope you get your watch soon...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Same here, Citizen Ray Mears that has not deviated at all from my phone time. Not sure if that means I have a so-called haq movement in it but sure these weren't sold as such.
    I think that a HAQ watch must be specified as such. Which means there must be some designed form of compensation for the natural drift of the quartz crystal. Ideally it should also be adjustable to compensate for the eventual aging of the crystal, and the hour hand should be set independently.

The old Longines VHP movement had this, and I also think the Seiko 9F movement allows rate adjustment to compensate for ageing of the crystal. AFAIK the new ETA HAQ movements do not allow for manual rate adjustment (unless maybe in a service centre, where they may or may not care). They only have TC for the crystal characteristics at the time of production.

Just to update, my cheap Argos Bulova is still within a second of the atomic clock I checked it against in December.
    Seems pretty high accuracy to me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Do these qualify?

Is that patina on the Constellation, or has the dial always looked like this? It looks too consistent not to be deliberate, yet too funky for such an otherwise serious watch ...

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Do these qualify?

I think Roger Smith owns one of those Marine Chronometers

Craftsman
    the Seiko SCM023 (pictured in this thread) and the Pepsi version, SBCM025 - both with perpetual calendar feature also.

(not a good pic but all I had handy)

[IMG][/IMG]

My only one at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    Is that patina on the Constellation, or has the dial always looked like this? It looks too consistent not to be deliberate, yet too funky for such an otherwise serious watch ...
    He's just finished painting a ceiling...

It's original, I believe.

M

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Might be a dumb question but what defines a Quartz as a HAQ?
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    As far as I'm concerned a High-Accuracy Quartz watch HAS to have thermo-compensation
    From a practical standpoint, any quartz watch that can maintain exceptional accuracy in a variety of extreme temperatures would qualify as HAQ to some extent.

One afternoon, my mischievous 13 year-old nephew placed his father's 9F Seiko in the refrigerator freezer along with his own standard production Seiko quartz analog watch. After approximately 15 hours at -10F, the 9F was still keeping accurate NIST U.S. time while his regular Seiko was running about 15 minutes slower. He attributed the timing loss to the internal lubricants stiffening, irregular cell-power and possible deviations in the quartz crystal and coil operations. Thus thermo-compensation seemed to play a major role.

His only exposure test to higher temperatures came during the thawing process when he dropped both watches into coffee cups filled with hot water that he had microwaved on high for about 3 minutes.

Once his stock Seiko quartz returned to normal operating temperature, it resumed its regular deviation of roughly -5 seconds per month which isn't bad for a standard quartz watch. The 9F on the other hand, never fluctuated despite the temperature extremes. Very impressive to say the least. If consistent timekeeping accuracy was a critical consideration or prerequisite, the 9F is apparently capable of doing so in harsh environmental climates.

Needless to say, the kid's father never learned of this DIY experiment.

Since starting this thread, I Have managed to get myself this beauty!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Here's mine. SBGT021. Only black on black day dater.

SBGX069

CTQ57-0955

The Aerospace Twins (fraternal that is...)

And quite coincidentally, they're all Titanium too.

Pretty sure this qualifies...

Even after all these years and all that patina.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Here's mine. SBGT021. Only black on black day dater.
    I had a SBGT037 day/date, black dial.

Master
    Read this post 3 times, still not sure what constitutes a HAQ

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    I had a SBGT037 day/date, black dial.
    Sorry I meant black day date wheel on black dial. SBGT037 has white date wheel IIRC, but I do prefer the modern case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Read this post 3 times, still not sure what constitutes a HAQ
    HAQ I think is a quartz movement that is thermocompensated to achieve the high accuracy. +/-5spy vs +/-15spm of basic quartz movements.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    HAQ I think is a quartz movement that is thermocompensated to achieve the high accuracy. +/-5spy vs +/-15spm of basic quartz movements.
    Thank you, so If I owned one, I guess I would know.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Thank you, so If I owned one, I guess I would know.
    The movement specs would say it. Look for whether it's thermocompensated, or whether the specs say "TC".

Master
    My Breitling Chrono Avenger M1 Chronograph runs the ETA thermo-compensated 251.232 movement, which is accurate to better than 1 sec/month.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    Since starting this thread, I Have managed to get myself this beauty!
    Great watch, mine says Hi.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    My one and only HAQ:

If it had a quick-set hour hand, it would be perfect. Even without it, it’s a great watch.
    Ooh.....Grail! Probably the only watch I covet right now !