closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple watch repair cost

Apple watch repair cost

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, my Apple watch will not charge, I am guessing that the battery has dropped below the threshold and the charging chip cant see it, I have tried everything they suggest, nothing works, all that happens is the Apple logo comes on every 20 or so seconds and then goes off.

I called apple, the watch is out of warranty, they want £229.10 to fix it, that's nearly the price of a new one, his argument was that it isn't a watch it is a computer! after I said Rolex don't charge 80% to repair a watch.

has anyone else had experience of these things packing up.

Sadly its worse than it first appears - not only have you bought a microcomputer, you've bought one full of proprietary code and hardware - they have you over a barrel. If you don't want to pay it, you only option is to see if a third party will do it.

A disposable watch then...

Like the phones.

How long have you left it for? Try leaving it charging for 24 hours.

Also give the back of the watch and charger a good clean first, my sons wouldn’t charge but a quick clean fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    A disposable watch then...
    Yep

I left it on charge for 16 hours

I have cleaned it

I have also tried heating it up to give the battery a bump

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, my Apple watch will not charge, I am guessing that the battery has dropped below the threshold and the charging chip cant see it, I have tried everything they suggest, nothing works, all that happens is the Apple logo comes on every 20 or so seconds and then goes off.

I called apple, the watch is out of warranty, they want £229.10 to fix it, that's nearly the price of a new one, his argument was that it isn't a watch it is a computer! after I said Rolex don't charge 80% to repair a watch.

has anyone else had experience of these things packing up.
    Seems like they quote a full service rather than a battery replacement. A friend had to do their one and it was about £80 from Apple.

Grand Master
    I’m not a fan of Apple watches etc and I’m not surprised to hear that they’re expensive to fix. I think owners have to be realistic and view these things as consumables, a bit like mobile phones. They’re the diametric opposite of proper watches, which have intrinsic value and are treasured by their owners for many years.

I don’t consider these things to be watches and it surprises me that folks who appreciate proper watches would even consider wearing one. They do look a bit naff and I question how useful they really are.

Paul

Master
    Worth checking out imend.com.

Master
    The screen on my wife’s Apple Watch became partially detached so I took it to the localApple Store as it was only 18 months old.

They diagnosed a swollen battery and sent it to their service centre who replaced the watch.

Always had excellent service from Apple, perhaps we were lucky?

I think the key is. To go into an Apple store, when dealing with them remotely it’s always more expensive.

Make a Genius Bar appointment and be enthusiastic, I.e. you really want to use it but.....

The Manager can help, but if you just rant and moan, you’ll get zip☹️

Blog Entries

Apple watch repair cost

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    I think the key is. To go into an Apple store, when dealing with them remotely it’s always more expensive.

Make a Genius Bar appointment and be enthusiastic, I.e. you really want to use it but.....

I agree , been Into Genius Bar and always had good results usually for mobile phone issues .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Seems like they quote a full service rather than a battery replacement. A friend had to do their one and it was about £80 from Apple.
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/watc...ervice/pricing

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post

they refused to give me an appointment for a watch, saying that all non warranty watches are return to base

Quote Originally Posted by mattleicester View Post
    he said that it is more than a battery change, because (he is an expert apparently) if it was just a battery it would try to charge.

which of course is rubbish.

he said that it is more than a battery change, because (he is an expert apparently) if it was just a battery it would try to charge.

which of course is rubbish.
    Book a genius bar appointment and be firm but polite . I book them on internet .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Crazy.

My Mrs is on V1. She was thinking of upgrading soon anyhow before it becomes unsupported and then totally worthless

Worth a go if you have not tried it
    1. Hold down the power and crown to force restart Apple watch. It will show update rings then turn off, come back on and show the rings again.
    2. Type your passcode on Apple watch. It can work fine after the few cycles.
    Option 2: Force restarting iPhone and Apple watch

1. Force restarting iPhone first by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake and Home button simultaneously for around 10 seconds and you’ll see the Apple logo.
    2. Immediately force restarting Apple watch by pressing and holding both side button and Digital Crown for 10 around 10 seconds and you’ll see Apple logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattleicester View Post
    Worth a go if you have not tried it
    1. Hold down the power and crown to force restart Apple watch. It will show update rings then turn off, come back on and show the rings again.
    2. Type your passcode on Apple watch. It can work fine after the few cycles.
    Option 2: Force restarting iPhone and Apple watch

1. Force restarting iPhone first by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake and Home button simultaneously for around 10 seconds and you’ll see the Apple logo.
    2. Immediately force restarting Apple watch by pressing and holding both side button and Digital Crown for 10 around 10 seconds and you’ll see Apple logo
    Thanks, but the issue is that the battery has dropped below the threshold and the charge circuit cant see it, therefore the watch wont do anything, they use a reference circuit to sense the battery, its basic electronics these days, the thread was really about Apple effectively saying throw it away if it fails out of warranty.

We have ESS ovens here ill stick it in one of those for a couple of hours at 50 degrees and see if that kicks it into life. other than that ill throw it in the bin

Master
    Whoa don't throw it - I'd have a bash at fixing it- my ereader was similar I 'jumped ' it with a 9v battery and it's been fine ever since

As lewie said can you not jump it from an external battery,just enough to get it started, I have had to do this with cordless tool batteries

Master
    £80 ish for a new battery from apple... what's the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    £80 ish for a new battery from apple... what's the issue?
    did you read the thread,

because Damien from Apple said it will be £229.10, he said they don't just do a battery change on the first version, if you want to ask him yourself, his number is 0080027752775 ext5058799

Baking it at 50 degrees for an hour sorted it out, have charged and completely flattened it 3 times with no problems.

Baking it at 50 degrees for an hour sorted it out, have charged and completely flattened it 3 times with no problems.
    Good news, not something I would have thought of doing.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Well good new

Glad you got it sorted in the end

Having treated myself to a Samsung I thought about setting up the Pay option. I've never used it before. Then I realised I'd still have to get my wallet out for the Nectarcard, rendering the whole exercise pointless. The supermarkets are my main uses of non online shopping and they all have cards. Oh well.

We have ESS ovens here ill stick it in one of those for a couple of hours at 50 degrees and see if that kicks it into life. other than that ill throw it in the bin
    do you think this might work with power tool batteries? I have few Dewalts which need help.

Thanks

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche