closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fiberglass brush pens. Any good ?

Fiberglass brush pens. Any good ?

So I've seen these fiberglass brushes/pens around on the internet and they've been advertising them as scratch removal solutions for all sorts of metallic objects including watches.

I wanted to know how good they are and if there is any difference between them and the other solutions such as cape cod, scotch brite, toothpaste (never tried this one) and so on.

Should they be used only in certain circumstances such as for brushed finishes ? Are they good for deep scratches/marks or just minor stuff ?

Master
    They are not scratch removal, more to unify a brushed finish- I keep meaning to order one- cousins do one for £1.40

As above, definitely not a scratch removal tool.
    I have one I use to remove oxidation / stubborn dirt from watch parts.
    It will scratch steel, so should not be used on anything delicate.

It could be used to apply a brushed finish, although I would not particularly recommend it, it is unlikely to reproduce the correct grain.

Journeyman
    Definitely not a scratch removal tool. They will scratch even quite hard metals such as stainless steel and can be used produce a brushed effect if used carefully which may be what you want to do to remove light marks from something. Obviously it wont match any existing brushed finishes on a piece so use with care.

Alright so at most it might work on brushed finishes and even then only under circumstances and with a certain degree of efficiency.

The fact that it removes certain stains and rust is good as I'd still use that on certain parts. Thanks guys!

Grand Master
    They can be used to touch up a brushed/grained finish that's had a light scuff but they don`t completely remove the marking.

They're no good for refinishing a brushed finish because they don`t cut deep enough.

As Olli has said, they can be useful for getting rust off watch parts......so is bathroom cleaner and an ultrasonic bath.

Paul

Craftsman
    Yeah, they are old fashioned and not used now.

Peg wood, micro lapping film, micro fibre swabs and rodico are decent options.

If you use a fibreglass pen just remember the part will need cleaning and it will leave tiny almost invisible glass particles all over your bench or at worse in your watch.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post

If you use a fibreglass pen just remember the part will need cleaning and it will leave tiny almost invisible glass particles all over your bench or at worse in your watch.

Or in your fingers! Pulling them out with sharp tweezers is always fun.

Paul

Craftsman
    Not as good as a bergeon refinishing block. Harder to use and as said harder to clean up and remove the splinters