closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Techcrunch article about fake industry

Craftsman

Techcrunch article about fake industry

IMO rather good article about fake industry: https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/03/th...he-superfakes/
    From history to nowadays superfakes.

Craftsman
    Very interesting but scary article

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nothing new there really.

Journeyman
    I had an opportunity to compare my 5 line Pelagos with a high end 3 line Pelagos fake and it was scary good. 3 people we asked to guess the real one all struggled (ok non watch people admittedly). The ti case, bracelet and bezel were perfect, only the dial lacked a very subtle amount of "lushness" if that makes sense, oh and the self winding rotor sounded horrible! The owner of the fake was very pleased with the results but I just couldn't get my head around why he had bought it in the first place. Id prefer to have no watch than that

Journeyman
    I thought it was interesting that the Swiss used to fake American watches.... Does go to show how we are being over charged for generic mass produced items but we are willing to take the hit because we want to believe the item we have is special. I heard something similar about the diamond market. The new lab grown stones are so good it is impossible to tell them apart by eye (special testing equipment is required) and they are etched so the trade can tell. The diamond cartels want to keep the market constrained so prices remain high. Consumers also want the market to be managed so they can feel that that sparkle actually means something - where in reality it doesn’t given that if we wanted to the market could be flooded with stones which are just as good. So are we all fools for falling for the trick of believing the dream the rich tell us to believe just so we can keep them rich????

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Very interesting article.

Although I did struggle with the line about buying a 5 dollar fake for 12,000 dollars.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    Very interesting article.

Although I did struggle with the line about buying a 5 dollar fake for 12,000 dollars.
    I struggled with the line that a fake could hurt you. Perhaps some minor contact dermatitis....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That they can make near perfect copies for pennies points out another problem in the industry. Both the copy makers and the real watchmakers are fleecing us.

Really nothing new unless you've been living in a bubble.

Yes, some fakes even fool even experts...it's only when you remove the caseback that the truth will out.

It's the new black now...take the caseback off.

Journeyman
    What will happen to the swiss industry when the fakers start producing their own quality product for peanuts, I would have thought the swiss should be afraid, very afraid!!

Scottie

So the Swiss, Who faked American watches in the late 19th. century and the English watches of high regard before that are whining about their watches being faked today. Ahh, diddums.
    Karma sometimes takes its time, but it always comes!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Every time I see something like that a little part of me feels foolish for paying such sums for a nice watch when a very similar item can be sold for a fraction of the price ...

I'd never buy a fake but I sometime wonder if I'm paying too much for the product ... and perhaps the smart money is in more affordable items.

Craftsman
    This Swiss activity in 19th century sounds like a start for homages...kind of. But yes, modern technologies being cheaper and available to wider public, may have some unwanted sideeffects.

Grand Master
    Watches have more than doubled in price over the past 11 years, the market for traditional watches is generally falling, the quality of the best fakes is very impressive. Should the Swiss be worried?......I think they should.

I don`t think the general public care about fake watches, generally there's no stigma attached to wearing a good replica. It's only the enthusiasts/purists (folks like us) who get steamed up to a greater or lesser extent about it.

What I dislike is the dilemma it poses for anyone trying to buy a second-hand watch, even those with good knowledge could be taken in. It's not just the expensive stuff that's getting copied, I`ve seen fake Rados that are difficult to tell from the real ones without taking the back off. Even cheap Casios are getting copied.......that surprised me!

As for frankens, that's another problem. I`ve got a 60s Omega in my drawer that's got me scratching my head, the only part that's genuine is the movement! I thought the caseback was genuine till I compared it to a known genuine one. Anyone looking to buy could've been fooled by this one.

Not a new problem, and one that won`t go away.

Paul

To be honest I couldn't care less about fakes & not bothered who buys them & wears them .... Its if the fake is sold as the real deal that causes the problems.