closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golf R estate..any one had one/got one?

Golf R estate..any one had one/got one?

So chaps, I'm thinking of taking a new PCH in the form of a Golf R estate. Best out there seems to be £3k down and £192 a month for 23 months. (8k miles). I seem to remember a few of you had the hatch version on a really cheap lease a couple of years back. Any feed back? Any one go for the estate? Although not as nice to look at as the hatch, the offer seems pretty good at just over £7k for 2 years of a fast and fun little car...Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I went Estate because of Labrador which gets glued to the rear screen

Fabulous car not a lot to touch it for the money I went DSG which I think suits character

We also use one on Supercar tours as support car and it embarrasses quite a few bits of hardcore machinery

Deal sound good where from ?

Regards
    Tim

Master
    Looks a great car but the estate only comes with DSG (you can get a 6 spd manual with the hatch) so make sure you try one before you commit. I'd look if the manual was an option as the DSG box and I do not get on.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    I went Estate because of Labrador which gets glued to the rear screen

Fabulous car not a lot to touch it for the money I went DSG which I think suits character

We also use one on Supercar tours as support car and it embarrasses quite a few bits of hardcore machinery

Deal sound good where from ?

Regards
    Tim
    https://centralukvehicleleasing.co.u...~5EPTA4~6.htm/

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Looks a great car but the estate only comes with DSG (you can get a 6 spd manual with the hatch) so make sure you try one before you commit. I'd look if the manual was an option as the DSG box and I do not get on.
    Yes I have noticed it's DSG only in the estate but the hatch is a lot more expensive. Also I hear the dsg estate is 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. That's seriously quick combined with 4 wheel drive. I think that's got to embarrass a few sports cars...

Craftsman
    I'm also not a fan of the DSG box, suffered one on a Gti for two weeks before selling it and buying a manual instead.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I thought the DSG suited the lazy delivery of the R. Probably even better in an estate. Afterall, it is not a sports car.
    Last edited by Skyman; 3rd December 2017 at 20:07.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    I'm also not a fan of the DSG box, suffered one on a Gti for two weeks before selling it and buying a manual instead.
    Likewise, love Auto on a SUV or family van but not in The R
    RIAC

Over on pistonheads there's a chap who downshifted on a manual and blew he's golf r engine. The Mrs will be driving the new car whatever we go for so maybe the dsg isn't a bad shout lol.

DSG is same tech as Audi as you would expect use it as a manual using paddles with seemless up and down shifts with a fabulous fraaappp or leave it in D Race mode and it does it for shopping cogs quickly epic fun.

It’s not an Auto box 😉.

Great thing about the estate is you can hear exhaust better than hatch makes some great pops and frapps

I was a confirmed self-stirrer (stop sniggering) and enjoyed a bit of heel-and-toeing until I bought a Golf GTI recently and am now a fan of the DSG box. Drop it into "Sport" and use the paddles, or drive it as an automatic. Changes are instantaneous and imperceptible, it's very easy to get used to.

I love mine, it's been a bit of a revelation.

Foxy will be along shortly to point out that the DSG gearbox alone probably weighs more than an MX-5

Master
    You can get the dsg remapped too, I had it done on an s3. Even in manual the car will change gear for you if it thinks it needs changing, so manual is not 100% manual
    The map takes that away making 100% manual also speeds the gear changes up and lifts the Rev restriction a little great mod for the box.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    You can get the dsg remapped too, I had it done on an s3. Even in manual the car will change gear for you if it thinks it needs changing, so manual is not 100% manual.
    How does that work exactly?

I think they are a great looking car

Blog Entries
    Wifey had a MK7 R manual hatch for two years and replaced in May for a MK7.5 DSG (7 speed).

The new model is noticeably quicker and the 7 speed DSG is very very impressive. I love these little cars as they look like nothing and do not draw attention even more so in estate form.

If you do it you will not be disappointed and PCH makes so much sense.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    How does that work exactly?
    "Manual" changes are via paddles behind the steering wheel, so the entire gearbox is electronically controlled. A remap just changes the parameters so it shifts at higher revs.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    "Manual" changes are via paddles behind the steering wheel, so the entire gearbox is electronically controlled. A remap just changes the parameters so it shifts at higher revs.
    Thanks. My misunderstanding. I thought the OP was talking about a true manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Wifey had a MK7 R manual hatch for two years and replaced in May for a MK7.5 DSG (7 speed).

The new model is noticeably quicker and the 7 speed DSG is very very impressive. I love these little cars as they look like nothing and do not draw attention even more so in estate form.

Pitch
    Thanks for that..I think il get on the phone tomorrow and see how long delivery is. What do you think of the price?

Master
    It also takes the cars ability to change gear for you when its in manual making it a proper manual. It's down right dangerous when it decides to change gear for you mid corner.

I've had one on lease since June.

Pros : Lots of toys (digital dash, decent Audio, cruise control, G-meter, tyre pressure warnings, etc), very, very quick when you get it right (I know it's just one measure but 0-60 is only a whisker slower than a Ferrari F40! I've had moments, where it feels like I'm sitting in the front seat at the cinema when the Millenium Falcon goes to lightspeed!), comfortable, hugely practical and can be surprisingly economical on a run, grip is outstanding. I paid a little extra for Lapiz Blue - I think it looks great for an estate and others have stopped to make the same comment.

Cons : I'm not sold on the DSG box personally, it's quite a BIG car, you'll be surprised how many parking spaces it will barely fit in and, subjectively, for all its capability, it's not a car I'm feeling 'love' for. Driving it normally is just like driving any VAG group car, there's no sense of occasion like I used to get just sitting in my RX8, let alone driving it, and the opportunities to really rag it are almost zero if you value your licence.

No idea what I'll replace it with, though, it does too many things I want a car to do, incredibly well.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 3rd December 2017 at 22:25.

Blog Entries
    Must add mine are/have been hatches so cannot comment on the estate size.

I really do like the DSG it is so lazy in 'E' and Mrs P has achieved 40+mpg on many an occasion. It does however come into its own in 'M', it shifts through the gears lightening quick.

One thing I did not mention is the row. The tech's at VW have played with this and the new model makes a LOT more noise with mad banging and popping on the overrun.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've had one on lease since June.

Pros : Lots of toys (digital dash, decent Audio, cruise control, G-meter, tyre pressure warnings, etc), very, very quick when you get it right (I know it's just one measure but 0-60 is only a whisker slower than a Ferrari F40! I've had moments, where it feels like I'm sitting in the front seat at the cinema when the Millenium Falcon goes to lightspeed!), comfortable, hugely practical and can be surprisingly economical on a run, grip is outstanding. I paid a little extra for Lapiz Blue - I think it looks great for an estate and others have stopped to make the same comment.

Cons : I'm not sold on the DSG box personally, it's quite a BIG car, you'll be surprised how many parking spaces it will barely fit in and, subjectively, for all its capability, it's not a car I'm feeling 'love' for. Driving it normally is just like driving any VAG group car, there's no sense of occasion like I used to get just sitting in my RX8, let alone driving it, and the opportunities to really rag it are almost zero if you value your licence.

No idea what I'll replace it with, though, it does too many things I want a car to do, incredibly well.

M
    So, where was it you got this from , a VAG dealer or a lease deal site?

Craftsman
    Must add mine are/have been hatches so cannot comment on the estate size.

I really do like the DSG it is so lazy in 'E' and Mrs P has achieved 40+mpg on many an occasion. It does however come into its own in 'M', it shifts through the gears lightening quick.

One thing I did not mention is the row. The tech's at VW have played with this and the new model makes a LOT more noise with mad banging and popping on the overrun.

Pitch
    I had an R36 (Passat) which had a DSG gearbox. It never once got the wrong gear for me. Very clever bit of kit.

Master
    I had a manual 5dr hatch for 2 years.

They aren't much fun once the thrill of just mashing the pedal through the floor and gripping on as the thing headbutts the horizon wears off. Haldex is still a pretty basic 4wd system meaning its still acts like a heavy fwd car in corners (expect understeer). Basically in 2 years not once did I drive the thing just for the sake of it.

However, I'd happily have another. And it would be DSG. Its just the perfect all in one car really despite its flaws.

The reason I'd take the DSG is that the manual is horribly notchy between first and second and the whole point of this car is the sheer traction it has for a rollercoaster launch. Why hinder its single party trick with a mediocre manual. You also can't heel n toe the manual as vw cut fueling when the brake is pressed (its not a sports car). Add in the fact that VW cheaped out on a clutch that's very near its power limit (many have burnt out and the warranty is only 1 year on the clutch) and the DSG makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Have you seen the new Seat Cupra 300 estate? Same engine on a Audi S3 chassis I believe. Golfs are so common I think I'll hang on for the Cupra as the price will inevitably plummet as I buy my cars but they're still a bit new. Not much to look at which is fine by me as apparently the performance and handing are great.

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Have you seen the new Seat Cupra 300 estate? Same engine on a Audi S3 chassis I believe. Golfs are so common I think I'll hang on for the Cupra as the price will inevitably plummet as I buy my cars but they're still a bit new. Not much to look at which is fine by me as apparently the performance and handing are great.
    The Golf R is the same, the S3 is the same, it's just body panels and badges that differ.

Maybe a few minor differences in setup - I've never liked SEATs personally - I think they'd sell a LOT of Skoda Octavia "VRr"s though!

If you're buying secondhand a SEAT could be a good choice over a Golf as VWs always hold their prices better.

In answer to an earlier question, my car came via a lease company, but all the deals were within 10s of pounds at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow
    Haldex is still a pretty basic 4wd system meaning its still acts like a heavy fwd car in corners (expect understeer).
    Interesting - I must admit to finding the 4WD pretty impressive - You can feel the power move around as you apply power to overcome the
    (fairly mild) understeer - Basically ALL 4WD systems over or understeer before redirecting power to other wheels, surely?

I can't say it feels noticeably worse than any other 4WD car I've driven, although they're pretty few and far between, and it's certainly much better than a FWD car.

That said, it's not a patch on my old Mazda for driving pleasure, but in 9 years I never found anything vaguely practical that was!

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 4th December 2017 at 20:19.

Master
    The Golf R is the same, the S3 is the same, it's just body panels and badges that differ.

Maybe a few minor differences in setup - I've never liked SEATs personally - I think they'd sell a LOT of Skoda Octavia "VRr"s though!

If you're buying secondhand a SEAT could be a good choice over a Golf as VWs always hold their prices better.

In answer to an earlier question, my car came via a lease company, but all the deals were within 10s of pounds at the same time.

Interesting - I must admit to finding the 4WD pretty impressive - You can feel the power move around as you apply power to overcome the
    (fairly mild) understeer - Basically ALL 4WD systems over or understeer before redirecting power to other wheels, surely?

I can't say it feels noticeably worse than any other 4WD car I've driven, although they're pretty few and far between, and it's certainly much better than a FWD car.

That said, it's not a patch on my old Mazda for driving pleasure, but in 9 years I never found anything vaguely practical that was!

M.
    I've actually gone from my golf R to a cupra 290 black edition.

Same engine, same gearbox (dsg in this one), 90% of the switches inside are the same and just about every component underneath has an Audi badge on it but its very different to drive. Yes, its 2wd so not massively surprising but the whole character and feel of the car is completely different. It just feels a little more focussed on having fun.

Its infuriating trying to get the thing moving off the line without lots of wheel hop but once under way its much sharper, quicker feeling and just all round more pointy and direct than the golf. The mechanical differential seems to make a big difference but I'm positive the geometry is just a little more focussed as It goes round corners at speeds that would see the golf in a field.

It is a far more compromised car though. Its a bit cheap and nasty in places, the wheel hop is horrendous and it is proper hard in cupra mode. I drove my golf permanently in race mode but going to the cupra, cupra mode felt utterly insane for the first few weeks.

Master
    Possibly also worth saying that my current car is leased via central, where the op saw the R deal.

My dealings with them were limited and I had no issues but a few of the guys that ordered on the same deal as me had issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I've actually gone from my golf R to a cupra 290 black edition.

Same engine, same gearbox (dsg in this one), 90% of the switches inside are the same and just about every component underneath has an Audi badge on it but its very different to drive. Yes, its 2wd so not massively surprising but the whole character and feel of the car is completely different. It just feels a little more focussed on having fun.

Its infuriating trying to get the thing moving off the line without lots of wheel hop but once under way its much sharper, quicker feeling and just all round more pointy and direct than the golf. The mechanical differential seems to make a big difference but I'm positive the geometry is just a little more focussed as It goes round corners at speeds that would see the golf in a field.

It is a far more compromised car though. Its a bit cheap and nasty in places, the wheel hop is horrendous and it is proper hard in cupra mode. I drove my golf permanently in race mode but going to the cupra, cupra mode felt utterly insane for the first few weeks.

Does it not have launch control?

Master

M.
    Its better than its ever been but its still a limited system even when compared to an old impreza as it lacks the ability to distribute power across either axle as per the focus RS.

The S3 and the R are fwd cars 90% of the time and as they use the xds (abs based diff) it means they tend to act like fwd cars with a relatively slow electronic diff. VW did make claims that this generation of haldex could send 100% of the power to the rear wheels but its since been proven this only happens if the front wheels are effectively free spinning with zero traction (so pretty much need to be in the air). I think the default is a 60/40 front bias at best.

It is a great system for generating traction but not great for lateral grip. Its fascinating to watch slow motion launches on YouTube where you can see the power move between the wheels so efficiently.

Master
    Does it not have launch control?
    Yes. But its totally pointless in a fwd car. It still spins the wheels and its actually possible to launch it more effectively by doing it manually.

Thankfully I'm too old for traffic light GPs so its not too much of an issue.

Pitch
    Don't draw attention??? They're scum magnets unfortunately. There's 3 (iirc) on a car forum I frequent that have had them pinched. Including an estate owner that was bundled in the boot and threatened with weapons as he was loading the car for a weekend away.

No tracker fitted as standard, easy to move on. Difficult to pinch, so owners inevitably get confronted for keys if the worst happens.

Brilliant cars, very capable and fun. Lack a bit of character, but that's why they're such good dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    It is a great system for generating traction but not great for lateral grip. Its fascinating to watch slow motion launches on YouTube where you can see the power move between the wheels so efficiently.
    Interesting. I guess though that on the road you'll rarely notice any shortcomings.

Lateral grip isn't something the R is short on.

Feel, yes, but that's true of most modern cars.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Don't draw attention??? They're scum magnets unfortunately. There's 3 (iirc) on a car forum I frequent that have had them pinched. Including an estate owner that was bundled in the boot and threatened with weapons as he was loading the car for a weekend away.

No tracker fitted as standard, easy to move on. Difficult to pinch, so owners inevitably get confronted for keys if the worst happens.

Brilliant cars, very capable and fun. Lack a bit of character, but that's why they're such good dailies.
    If the likes of Pistonheads are to be believed, five-door and estate Golf R's are popular with scrotes as getaway cars. Buy one and it will be stolen and used in an armed robbery. Apparently.

If the likes of Pistonheads are to be believed, five-door and estate Golf R's are popular with scrotes as getaway cars. Buy one and it will be stolen and used in an armed robbery. Apparently.
    Shortage of Audi R/S4 and R/S6s and AMG Mercs to blame.

Oh, and Mk2 Jags...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Posts relating to thefts were a regular occurrence on the golf R forum. Most were taken off driveways in good areas with the house being broken into for the keys. There were a few scary stories of cars being "jacked" and people being followed home as well as one guy who discovered a small tracking device cable tied under the car when it went in for warranty work.

Its started to happen to the cupras as well now despite the less desirable badge. The press car given to Top Gear magazine was actually stolen last year.
    http://superunleaded.com/top-gear-jo...e-house/18395/

Craftsman
    Possibly the best all rounder out there, goes like stink (I've had a clean license for 30+ years but not sure how long it's going to last) can easily take family & loads of clutter on long journeys, has Spaniel snot on the rear window, is an auxiliary golf club storage unit and puts a stupid grin on my face every time I get in it.
    One can be had for £7k over 2 years, get one, you won't regret it.

Master
    I've had one through VW fleet on PCH for about 1 year and a half. Deal was £1500 down and £230 per month for a fully specced car over 2 years.

Overall I really like the car, plenty fast for the road, if you don't think so then you are a lunatic driver. 4WD makes it handle pretty well, I don't drive it that quickly very often but as you would expect its quite neutral.

I really don't think the Estate feels any larger than the hatch ( had GTD previously ). Mags such as EVO etc confirm this.

The noise the car makes on full throttle upshifts is also a nice gimmick.

My two dislikes are the MPG which I have never seen go above 27 long term and the DSG box. I find the gear box does interrupt the driving experience even in full manual and is easy to confuse if you are braking from high speed to a stand still, changing down to first as you do so and then trying to pull away quickly.

Also when in auto it is difficult to modulate the accelerator pedal, if you are just trying to nip past a slower driver the box always drops a gear and you sound like a boy racer.

I would highly recommend as I struggle to think what else you can get on lease for comparable money. My mates both had R hatches and went to M140i which are a hell of a more expensive and far more difficult to drive swiftly if that is your thing.
    Last edited by Slevin Kelevra; 5th December 2017 at 12:26.

Craftsman

interesting

I'm thinking about a Golf R or an Audi S3 as a little retirement pressie next year but the estate would be better for the hound, an interesting thread.

Master
    I’m onto my 2nd Golf R now, the first being the 6 speed manual and the current one is he new 7 speed DSG. All I can say is the DSG is so much better than the manual, if there were no DSG option I would not have opted for another one.

The facefit Golf also has the nicer digital dash and comes with nav and heated seats as standard, nav was an expensive option on the original R.

I certainly won’t try to talk you out of the Golf R given the deals available at the minute.

Blog Entries
    There seems quite a few of us on R number two migrating from a manual to a MK7.5 DSG.

My comment on attention above was comparing to the Focus and Civic which as a 52 yo bloke I could not get away with.

These are amazing little cars for not silly money, 40mpg can be had, had they grip like nothing else. It’s going to be tough to replace in 2019 after four years of experiencing two.

Craftsman
    I work in the motor trade and due to this get a company car. I am with a brand with which I can’t have one of the product I work for as they are north of £250k each. Therefore I get a choice of any of the other brands we sell, I could have a BMW, Audi, Mercedes or VW up to £41k due to tax reasons. I also have my partners SUV to use as a family car but still choose out of everything the Golf R estate as it literally ticks every box. I have over the years had pretty much everything as a company car inc 911’s, M3’s and all manner of SUV’s but the R is the only thing that will loose you your licence, carry your dog and not cost the earth to run (RS6)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Franco81 View Post
    I work in the motor trade and due to this get a company car. I am with a brand with which I can’t have one of the product I work for as they are north of £250k each. Therefore I get a choice of any of the other brands we sell, I could have a BMW, Audi, Mercedes or VW up to £41k due to tax reasons. I also have my partners SUV to use as a family car but still choose out of everything the Golf R estate as it literally ticks every box. I have over the years had pretty much everything as a company car inc 911’s, M3’s and all manner of SUV’s but the R is the only thing that will loose you your licence, carry your dog and not cost the earth to run (RS6)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    And if that isn't a bona fide recommendation I don't know what is. Cheers 👍🏻

Just seen this thread and I’m thinking that’s my next car sorted, speed, 4wd, looks and the estate functionality is perfect.

Time to check out some good lease deals for next year...

I had the Golf R estate for 3 years, when I changed i went for an Audi A4 sport line Estate. Although the Audi feels better finished, the Golf was all round a better car (the Audi did have more grunt, but then Audi “retuned” the A4 due to the emissions “issues” and power is definitely down). When I replace the Audi, I will go back to a Golf. Silly things like underseat storage was included on the Golf, but extra on the Audi. SatNav was touch screen, the Audi stupid rotary wheel navigation. The boot on the two on paper are the same volume, in practice I could get 4 cases in the Golf, only 2 in the Audi. Tailgate lifts a lot higher on the Golf. I still smack my head on the Audi’s!
    A big thumps up for Golf

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

But do the Haldex AWD systems actually work? A member of staff who had an S3 could never get to work in the snow because the Haldex failed. (or that was his excuse)!
    I have a 3.0R Outback with the Prodrive gearbox etc and it works off road (goes where many fail). I'll need to replace it soon; don't want diesel; want some power, but also do need clearance (tracks and the likes) so I guess the Golf is out on the last one.
    A6 are just too big for the country lanes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    But do the Haldex AWD systems actually work? A member of staff who had an S3 could never get to work in the snow because the Haldex failed. (or that was his excuse)!
    I have a 3.0R Outback with the Prodrive gearbox etc and it works off road (goes where many fail). I'll need to replace it soon; don't want diesel; want some power, but also do need clearance (tracks and the likes) so I guess the Golf is out on the last one.
    A6 are just too big for the country lanes etc.
    4WD with winter tyres should work, if not then the snow is just too much and hence too dangerous to drive, every car i ever had has a set of winters stored in the garage ready for the colder months, i'll be keeping my eyes peeled next year for the lease deals for one of these...