closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Loss of our beautiful dog, George. Updated.

Loss of our beautiful dog, George. Updated.

I had to make the awful decision to put our lovely, lovely black Labrador, George, to sleep last Thursday. It was possibly the hardest thing I have ever done. He was my best pal and the family are truly devastated. Our Cockapoo, Boris, clearly misses him too. He was only 16 months old and was a wonderful pet.

I/we want to get a second dog for several reasons but I’m not sure I’m up to having another Labrador. I think it would be too painful, but given time I might be wrong. If we don’t have another Labrador, the issue is what to start looking for. I think (hope) I will find the process of looking therapeutic. Choice of breed, age and whether I should have a rescue dog are all on my on mind. I’ve never done the latter and I’ve had a Cocker, Beagle and most recently, George. I wouldn’t want to go bigger than George. Any thoughts on breed - pedigree or mixed breed and puppy or rescue dog (which tend to be older) - would be interesting to read. A friend of ours owns an English Bulldog, which is a great dog but quite inactive.

David.
    Last edited by dejjl; 5th January 2018 at 08:48.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear this.
    My inlaws use Labrador rescue. Their first, Harry died and they swore they would never get another. However, a few months later, Charlie arrived on the scene. Mad as a box of frogs but they love him. If it makes a difference, Harry was black, Charlie is blonde. Might give some separation?

Master
    Labrador Rescue or if you fancy a spaniel I’d suggest ‘save our spaniels’ or ‘spaniel Aid uk’

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Sorry to hear that Dave.
    I wouldn't bother with an English Bulldog. My sister has one and all it basically does is drool,hump stuff and fart.

Master
    So sorry to hear about George.

If you do decide to get another, give a dog that doesn't have one a loving home, rescue dogs can be marvellous companions.

We have Tipsy just over two years now and when we saw her we just had to have her, the most loving, happy, mischievous, playful dog we have had. We love her to bits.

Really sorry to hear about your loss, currently our wonderful Fell Terrier has found time catching up on him so your desicion rings like a "terrible bell",
    In your place I think I'd be looking at a mongrel, fairly small and from a resque centre, good luck and all the best with your new friend in 2018
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear of your loss. It's never easy and the price we pay for their company.
    If you think about a spaniel, may I suggest "Spaniel Aid" as a source. They help so many dogs and deserve all the help they can get.
    Ian

Craftsman
    It’s a really tough time losing your dog, we have always had Flatcoated Retrievers, a lot quirkier than labs. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with you. I know only too well the pain in making that decision.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

David, sorry to hear about your loss. I remember you sending me pics of him when you'd just got him, he was a similar age to my choc lab. R.I.P George

David, I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my condolences and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Saddest of news David - my heart goes out to you.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    When we had to put our George down who was a boxer we spent almost 12 months traipsing around rescue centres etc etc trying to find a dog that suited us and came very close to having a mongrel that was superb however in the couple of hours we spent having a coffee deliberating someone else swooped in and took him lol. Whilst out on a walk that afternoon dogless but still walking like we weren’t we bumped into someone with a boxer along the way, my wife said in all the dogs we’d seen she had never seen me so happy as when I was playing with this boxer and we where wasting our time look8ng at other breeds. We found a breeder we liked and decided on a different colour than George just to separate them, Henry is 6 this year mad as a hatter but a superb family dog the girls dress him like a princess the lad uses him as a walker and he loves it all. My advice is take your time don’t rush labs come in different colours so maybe that would solve your problem like it did ours, take a look at boxers we think they’re superb like the clowns of the dog world. However in my experience all dogs like people are different so don’t expect the same again they may have similarities but they will be different, I feel for you it’s horrible but take your time.

My heartfelt condolences. It’s a terrible feeling even when it’s clearly the right thing to do. It’s almost four years since our beloved schnauzer had to go and while it’s not painful any more I still miss her.

Master
    My condolences, I feel your pain. My beloved airedale was diagnosed with inoperable bowel cancer many years ago. The vet had given her an injection that he said would give her a days relief or so. So I took her home for us to have a last day together. We visited her favourite walking spots and I fed her little bits of her favourite food. She slept her last night on my bed.
    The next morning she was ready. I can never quantify or explain that but I just knew that she was tired and ready to go. I took her into the consulting room, held her head and whispered to her as she slipped away. The hardest thing I have ever done, but I wanted the last thing she saw to be me, not a stranger, and to hear my voice.
    Since I never was able get another dog, but my kids now are keen to get a puppy so I may so do. However I will never be able to replace her.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Sad news, sorry to hear this.
    "A man of little significance"

My most sincere condolences David.

We lost ours earlier in the year and I’m not sure we’re ready for another one yet. It does get easier though.

Take your time, you’ll know when the time’s right.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Feel your pain. Had to do the same a couple of times

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    So sorry to hear about George.

If you do decide to get another, give a dog that doesn't have one a loving home, rescue dogs can be marvellous companions.

We have Tipsy just over two years now and when we saw her we just had to have her, the most loving, happy, mischievous, playful dog we have had. We love her to bits.

David - so sorry to hear of your loss. It must be very hard for you.

Nev - your dog looks lovely and so good to hear how joyous she is. A great example of how rewarding rescuing a dog can be.

Very sorry to hear this, David. My condolences to you and your family.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    So sorry David x

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My personal very worst nightmare. But he and you no doubt had awesome times together. Those memories will survive. All the best.
    S

Sorry for your loss: had to make the same decision 4 years ago: we haven't had another dog as the pain was horrendous and still is when we had to let him go

Master
    Blog Entries
    Horrid news Dave and I know your deep pain.

When our black lab Morgan left us 3 years ago we vowed never again. However we now have Brodie another black lab but of farm stock. Very different to Morgs who was the show stock - not that we did or intended to.

So, just think to yourself that there various types of black lab - farm or show types.

RIP George. Bark, run and forage now forever lovely mutt.

Jim

Craftsman
    Sad for your loss - and dreading being in the same situation as I know I will be heartbroken

David
    Sorry for your loss. When it comes to choosing another dog, I would recommend you concentrate on cross breeds as they have fewer health issues.
    Collie/spaniel/lab/shepherd crosses are usually ok. Try and get a collie in there as having an intelligent dog is a must in my opinion.
    Good luck
    John

Very heartbreaking and my thoughts are with you.

Sorry to hear this David, our thoughts are with you.

Really sorry to hear your news David.

Hope you're able to reflect on the good times you spent with him.

So sorry to hear this Dave, I know what it's like to have to let an old friend go.

Give it a little while and then have a look around.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Really sorry to hear about your dog David, they become part of the family and it's heartbreaking to say good bye..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

So sorry to hear about your loss... dogs are rarely in our lives long enough. ..

Thank you for your many supportive and helpful posts. This is a great place.

David

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear about your loss, went through something similar a couple of years ago with our border terrier Pip who was 14 who we had from a puppy. Took a "year off" and eventually (with support from the wife and both boys) we got a rescue Border Terrier just over a year ago. Brock is amazing and we wouldn't be without him (despite him being profoundly deaf and other complications) although I did make sure he was a different colouring to Pip as I didn't want a continual reminder as I still miss Pip everyday. Good luck whatever you decide.

So sorry, been through few times now and never any easier...

Love gun dogs and had Weimaraners & pointers before.

Couldn't do the losing mine thing again so
    to offset things
    currently have a 9 month old black lab Barny had from 7 weeks old but he's a guide dog puppy & will leave in june at 12 to 14 mths for advanced training .. going to miss him and lose him too but he will make a huge difference to someone....

A failed guide dog of any breed is a superb choice by the way if you do want another.
    Just remember the fun days and the price of grief is the love & good times you have over many years

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by lordloz; 2nd January 2018 at 13:28.

I'm really sorry to hear of your news too. We had an English Springer Spaniel which is a lovely breed, but any dog you get I'm sure will make your lives richer and happier.

Hi David

Go to a rescue centre, with no pre conceived ideas, and let a dog choose you.

Years ago, we went looking for a small dog for my mum and dad, and ended up with a retired greyhound. She is gone now, but lived to a good fifteen, enjoyed her life, and made many joyous family memories.

Mum now has a 3 year old Norfolk terrier - had him from "new" and he (Archie) has developed in to a great character ;-)

Sorry to hear of your loss, but remember the good reasons why we have pets (for them and us).

Cheers

Foggy

Update: we are going to see a 17 month old dog tomorrow with a view to possibly rehoming her. She’s a lurcher (collie x) and looks lovely in the pics and videos. We’ve decided not to do the pedigree and/or puppy thing this time. I’ll keep you posted and thanks again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hope she turns out to be the dog for you David. I said hello to a young couple's Lurcher in the pub yesterday. She had a lovely friendly temperament and it turned out she was a rescue. She was new to them and they only let her off the lead in enclosed fields because her instinct to chase prey, but they clearly adored her.

ATB

Jon

Loss of our beautiful dog, George. Updated.

Excellent news. Lurchers are wonderful, affectionate, dogs.

My wife picked one up off the roadside a few years ago - clearly belonged to the local dog men - and we housed it with our pack for a few days. Soon settled in, though coming into the kitchen and seeing it standing on top of the worktops concentrated the mind with regards to what was left out!

They are gaze-hounds rather than scent-hounds, so will typically only chase whilst the prey is in sight. Scent-hounds, on the other hand, can disappear for hours.

So sorry to hear of your loss David...dogs are the most precious things, I gave my 3 year old Coton, Minnie, a good cuddle after hearing of the loss of George...all the very best with the search

Grand Master
    Always very sad, our friend had theirs put down yesterday also and its so hard. One really nice thing you can do is make sure they pass happy, as you know chocolate is toxic to dogs but its also something they just love so if they have to pass in a controlled environment I for one would make sure they truffled the best box of Thorntons selection box ever so thats the last taste and memory they have without the poison phase being allowed to occur

So sorry for your loss
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Hi, we had a lurcher who passed on two months ago. A great breed that barely barked, didn't need masses of walks, and was totally loving to all the family and whoever he met. Being a sight hound we had to be a bit careful where we let him off the lead in case he spotted something furry and took chase! I'm sure you'll have a great experience. Good luck!