closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garages

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    (...)would love a nice pick up, but try finding a petrol one.... (...)
    Lots of nice ones are made, especially by your American cousins. Ford F-series, Dodge Ram, Chevrolet Avalanche, Nissan Titan et al.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Lots of nice ones are made, especially by your American cousins. Ford F-series, Dodge Ram, Chevrolet Avalanche, Nissan Titan et al.
    Due to the amount of towing we do... there's no way the Mrs would go for LHD.... and I'm not that keen myself..

Blog Entries
    Due to the amount of towing we do... there's no way the Mrs would go for LHD.... and I'm not that keen myself..

Saw a really nice lwb and high top van conversion for horse transport that our neighbour has. For 1-2 horses looked really nice.

Similar to this one

Master
    We've looked at van conversions in the past....at over 800kg Charlie would put any of them over their weight limit...

We also have his "girlfriend" Rosie, who's probably another 550+ kgs...

The trailer above is rated at 1600kg, and the Jeep can tow 3500kg, with the advantage that it can be used for other duties, such as shopping, fetching feed, and as a tractor for chain harrowing etc..

Ah, I completely overlooked that aspect.

Impressive horses! Shires, Percherons, Ardennais?
    And question : why does RHD/LHD make a difference for towing?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

Pulling out round a bus at a stop with no proper vision and a dangler?

My days of LHD's are definitely over - too dangerous.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I understand the passing issue but with that sort of trailer and load I imagine the options for passing are limited. The main inconvenience for me in France is paying the parkings in the multi stories.

Master
    Charlie is pure Clydesdale, Rosie is a bit of a mix with Irish draft, shire, and a bit of Cob

Nothing would convince the wife to go LHD..

Master
    Some great looking spaces in this thread. Particularly liked the one with the Porsche in it. As for Ralphy's with the CL and the A8, one can only dream.

Inspired, I just went out and had a quick measure - I'd have 400mm clearance if I wanted to park my car in the garage - presuming I could actually clear enough space for it in the first place. Not sure that's enough.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    Has anyone got a recommendation for a floor covering? My bog-standard two-door double has a fairly rough finished concrete floor - tried using garage floor paint (after sealing it with EVA) and it peels off where the tyre regularly 'sit'. Currently have that spongy black foam padding, which is comfortable and warm, but not meant for vehicles to park on.

I see on the U.S. TV car garage make-over progs these firms who pour some sort of plasticised (?) bodning surface on rough floors?

Any ideas welcomed - not keen on tiling.
    The US guys are probably using Epoxy flooring products. We often use SIKA Epoxy in commercial engineering environments and they are ideal if your pockets are deep enough. They tend to be a complex system of primers, fillers and coloured top-coats and need professional installation, but the end results can be very impressive and durable.

Master
    I'm lucky to have a 20' wide by 20' deep garage.... the lift has now gone, as has the TVR, and I have a lathe and milling machine in there...... the floor is no longer clean either...

Craftsman
    I'm lucky to have a 20' wide by 20' deep garage.... the lift has now gone, as has the TVR, and I have a lathe and milling machine in there...... the floor is no longer clean either...
    Very tidy, how a man-cave should be.

It does my head in when i see a clean garage floor. It's not natural.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Proper job.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    We've looked at van conversions in the past....at over 800kg Charlie would put any of them over their weight limit...

We also have his "girlfriend" Rosie, who's probably another 550+ kgs...

The trailer above is rated at 1600kg, and the Jeep can tow 3500kg, with the advantage that it can be used for other duties, such as shopping, fetching feed, and as a tractor for chain harrowing etc..
    Blimey he's a big boy then! Suppose a van would only have one purpose, just looked so much easier to drive than some of the 'horse boxes' you see around.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Blimey he's a big boy then! Suppose a van would only have one purpose, just looked so much easier to drive than some of the 'horse boxes' you see around.
    We did give this a go for a while.... but for the amount we used it, it didn't make much sense, and again the Mrs was a little intimidated by the size.....Believe it or not she's a very confident and competent at towing (farmers daughter) so it worked out better with the horse trailer...

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I thought with the diverse membership here and some of the cars on the 'what do you drive' thread that there would be some nice garages on show. Kudos to Ralphy and Enoch for leading the way!

What I did like the sound of was getting my floor sealed. The roof was already plastered and I had that painted plus the walls painted, but I have noticed that if I alternate the cars on a weekly basis, I can notice a little build up of dust, particularly on the black M6. I had a word with our decorator and he reckons to seal the floor and paint with two-pack paint would need a few days' drying time so it would need to be empty throughout. A job for the spring/summer perhaps and I'll continue to use Hetty to vacuum out the dust from the floor each weekend for the time being ;)

One final addition I'd like to make would be another BMW...an airhead motorbike would be ideal but my wife has drawn her own lines in the sand over this...

I had a word with our decorator and he reckons to seal the floor and paint with two-pack paint would need a few days' drying time so it would need to be empty throughout. A job for the spring/summer perhaps...
    This - very much so.

Unless the concrete base is dry enough then no amount of painting will seal it up - and PVA-ing it won't make any difference either. Meanwhile, there's always plenty of carpet going spare if you ask your local fitters. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Just completed my garage, stripped it out completely and sealed the brickwork with two coats of masonry paint. The floor paint is a two pack epoxy over a sealer coat and took me two days. I've used it before and is hard wearing, isn't affected by tyres or oil etc. I used this one https://www.rawlinspaints.com/home/f...=303&results=3

Journeyman
    great looking job there. I have garage envy mines full of stuff we cannot get in the house.
    john

I thought I'd bump my own thread with a question about dehumidifiers...

In the first post you can see my garage: it's underneath my bungalow and there is a Novorol roller garage door to the front. Inside there is the central heating boiler but no radiators. There is a marginal amount of airflow through the bottom of the door where the rubber seal meets the concrete slab. The inside is bone dry and there are no problems with damp. The ambient temp is usually 10 degrees C.

I noticed a fair amount of condensation on the inside of the garage door last night. It's been really cold (about -3) and the garage door is insulated apparently, so I imagine a decent temperature gradient across the door. Both cars were cleaned on Saturday before the door was closed.

Would I benefit from a dehumidifier? If so, what benefits am I going to get from one other than a drier inside of the door?
    Last edited by j0hnbarker; 11th December 2017 at 14:47.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Would I benefit from a dehumidifier? If so, what benefits am I going to get from one other than a dryer inside of the door?
    Not sure what you meany by a dryer, but you would certainly benefit from a dehumidifier.

Wet cars would certainly contribute to the humidity but the outside air is damp at this time of year so that'll enter whenever the door is opened.

R

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Not sure what you meany by a dryer, but you would certainly benefit from a dehumidifier.

Wet cars would certainly contribute to the humidity but the outside air is damp at this time of year so that'll enter whenever the door is opened.

R
    I should have proof-read. Meant to say other than a drier inside of the door, i.e. not dripping water on the car when I open it!

Perhaps I'll have a look into it. Any recommendations?

I should have proof-read. Meant to say other than a drier inside of the door, i.e. not dripping water on the car when I open it!

Perhaps I'll have a look into it. Any recommendations?
    We've got a couple from Aldi/Lidl (Silvercrest brand?) and they've proven to be reliable. Ideally you can run a drain to the outside, otherwise you'll need to empty the machine's internal tank (it's surprising how much water they draw out of the air).

I ran a length of hosepipe from my machine out though a hole in the wall at floor level so it didn't need emptying.

R

Master

Enoch, could you get anything under the TVR or was it just to get it off the ground to work on it? I can't imagine you'd be able to stand under it so did you have some sort of contraption to allow you to sit down and work on stuff?
    Ta

Master
    It is a bit on the dear side (warning: Major understatement!) but you could have a look here

Good lord. I quite liked those until I saw the price. They make the refurbed range rovers look cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Good lord. I quite liked those until I saw the price. They make the refurbed range rovers look cheap!
    Indeed. But they are not just refurbished. They are completely redone as modern beasts. Think Eagle E-type.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Enoch, could you get anything under the TVR or was it just to get it off the ground to work on it? I can't imagine you'd be able to stand under it so did you have some sort of contraption to allow you to sit down and work on stuff?
    Ta
    Hi David...
    I could probably have got another TVR or similar underneath, but nothing taller..... I generally used it for getting the car to waist height (knackard knees) to clean it and do the odd bit of maintenance...

If I wanted to work on the underside I used one of those small mechanics stools on wheels, and scooted about.

It was a big help for me at the time, and allowed me to do a lot more than I could if I hadn't got it IYSWIM..

Best bit was, it cost me £1800 quid from a company in Holland, and I sold it to a mate 8 years later for £1800

Would I benefit from a dehumidifier? If so, what benefits am I going to get from one other than a drier inside of the door?
    No to a dehumidifier. See my earlier post in this thread.

A little heater (with thermostat) would be a better bet to stave off condensation.

I'm standing by my recommendation of a dehumidifier as I cannot see that using one could have any adverse effect on car seals. Rubber is affected by light, heat and oxygen but not by humidity - AFAIK. Maybe in extremis at both ends of the humidity range but not when you're reducing the relative humidity from say 70% down to 40%. The problem with heating moist air is that the warmer the air the more water it can hold and metal needs to be kept dry to avoid rust.

R

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'm standing by my recommendation of a dehumidifier as I cannot see that using one could have any adverse effect on car seals. Rubber is affected by light, heat and oxygen but not by humidity - AFAIK. Maybe in extremis at both ends of the humidity range but not when you're reducing the relative humidity from say 70% down to 40%. The problem with heating moist air is that the warmer the air the more water it can hold and metal needs to be kept dry to avoid rust.

R
    I've just been down and measured the temperature and it is 13C. Outside is -2C.

I'm not sure what adding any extra heat would achieve either really. The boiler is down there so I could run a small radiator off, but there is already a small amount given off by the boiler anyway. Besides, the dessicant dehumidifiers give off a slight amount of heat too, so I'll probably try one of those and report back.

Desiccant is the better choice over compressor dehumidifiers for your requirements.

R

Just getting mine together over the Christmas break
    Metals bench and tool storage done ready to bring my R100s back to concours...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post

That make me very envious

Are you Rossi or is the name a coincidence?

That looks superb!

Thanks
    Here's the light duty bench for electrical etc not yet complete

Craftsman
    I cannot wait to get into our new (to us) house next year. It has a nice sized double garage. Only plan to keep my mk2 golf in there and then it will be a workshop on the other side. I like the work benches on the above pictures. Nice and tidy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Here's the light duty bench for electrical etc not yet complete

Superb,I had to use the wall at the front of my new house to hack saw something the other day.
    how many bikes have you got?

...currently 3- the R100s from 1978, an R1100s sport from 2004 and my trusty 2006 Bonneville scrambler which is heavily modded.

Blog Entries

Nice bike and nice workshop. Finally got a moving date for new house and detached double garage so can't wait to get the new workshop started. Only 1 bike to fit in at the moment so loads of room to play with, although the bike count may increase! Cars can stay on the drive

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Nice bike and nice workshop. Finally got a moving date for new house and detached double garage so can't wait to get the new workshop started. Only 1 bike to fit in at the moment so loads of room to play with, although the bike count may increase! Cars can stay on the drive
    moving at last Ian!.now you can start a thread on solicitors..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    moving at last Ian!.now you can start a thread on solicitors..
    Wouldn’t dare do that, I couldn’t afford the letters and it would take too long 😂
    Just glad we’re nearly there after 6 months!!👍

Garages

Unfortunately my garage is not yet looking so tidy!

And that’s the tidier part!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Old Gpzs I love them what models?

All three are 750 unitrak models.

I always preferred them to both the 1100 and 550s.

The one on the bench now has a zxr400 front and rear end and will end up looking something similar to this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice,I thought you might have a turbo.

No; I’ve never been over keen on the turbo; too much weight and complication for very little gain in performance.

Prices are strong though so I’m definitely in a minority here.

As usual......

Master
    Those old GPz’s really were bullit proof. I had a few z650’s back in the day and a mate had the GPz jeez that bike took some abuse, and never went wrong... my z650 on the other hand holed a piston trying to keep up with him on the Chester bypass... happy days

The z650s were bullet proof too, I had a couple back in the day.
    Putting high flow air filters on and not rejecting was probably the cause of the holes piston. I did it to on the M62 near Leeds! Still ran it home on 3 cylinders though!