timefactors watches

Thread: A year with Fuji x

A year with Fuji x

So, slightly inspired by the mirrorless to full frame thread, about a year ago I switched to the fuji x system - below are a selection of my favourite images taken with the system over the last year...

Sunrise in Uppsala by Ash Smith, on Flickr

The Breakwater (Explored) by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Millenium Bridge by Ash Smith, on Flickr

The Shard b/w by Ash Smith, on Flickr

The Forest by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Apprentice
    The pictures are beautiful! Was any modification needed to get such results?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shinn8 View Post
    The pictures are beautiful! Was any modification needed to get such results?

Thanks!
    You're very kind :)

All of them have been processed in lightroom in one way or another, either to do the black and white conversion or to do a little colour work. The 2 black and whites are long exposures.

The forest shot has been through photoshop to selectively apply a light "orton effect" which gives it that slightly ethereal feel

Apprentice
    Fully concur. Simply stunning images. Certainly something to aspire to, but I feel it will be a long old journey.

I have been using the RAW format since getting my Sony gear just under a year a go, but I am yet to actually do anything with them processing wise.
    Adobe Lightroom seems to be the no-brainer option so I look forward to having an explore of it when time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post
    Fully concur. Simply stunning images. Certainly something to aspire to, but I feel it will be a long old journey.

I have been using the RAW format since getting my Sony gear just under a year a go, but I am yet to actually do anything with them processing wise.
    Adobe Lightroom seems to be the no-brainer option so I look forward to having an explore of it when time allows.
    Thanks, much appreciated - I take a lot of stinkers too, but i'm getting better at working a scene and understanding what will likely make for a good image.

LR is pretty solid all round, there are some other options which are looking quite tasty - lots of love for the new version of Luminar for example and there's some good tablet options in Snapseed and Affinity, but for me LR can do 90% of what I need and then either PS or a plug-in fills the gap.

Can I ask which X -series camera and lens you use?

Great photos BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    Can I ask which X -series camera and lens you use?

Great photos BTW.
    All of the above were shot with the X-T10 and XF18-55mm

And thank you :)

Thanks for that, I've been contemplating a walk around zoom for a while now. The 18-55 looks spot on.

The XF18-55 is an absolute stormer of a lens - you won't regret it if you go for it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Thanks, much appreciated - I take a lot of stinkers too, but i'm getting better at working a scene and understanding what will likely make for a good image.

LR is pretty solid all round, there are some other options which are looking quite tasty - lots of love for the new version of Luminar for example and there's some good tablet options in Snapseed and Affinity, but for me LR can do 90% of what I need and then either PS or a plug-in fills the gap.
    LR is indeed a good alrounder and the one to choose if you already have it. Affinity is cheaper, (and better IMO, there's also an iPad version and they're working on an Android one), but for processing RAF's you just can't beat Silkypix - especially for skin and foliage shots.

Great shots by the way, and the 18-50 is a simply fantastic lens. Then again, Fujifilm don't make a bad lens.
    Best Regards - Peter
    Please Note: It is possible that Griswold may know nothing whatsoever about horology. It's even possible that he has never even owned a watch. It is also highly possible the he has a strange imagination. His wife insists he would be far better off paying more attention to taking his medication on time.

Master
    Fabulous pictures! Really shows what the X system can do.

Liking them a lot. Shows you dont need to spend daft money to get good results, just an eye for something.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Fabulous pictures! Really shows what the X system can do.
    Absolutely, the X-Trans processors, whilst being a bit fiddly to process compared to some others are simply beautiful (and if you don't want to bother with post work, then the Fuji jpeg film simulations are just stunning)

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Liking them a lot. Shows you dont need to spend daft money to get good results, just an eye for something.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Stuart. The biggest benefit i've found with the X - is simply that I take it with me to more places because it's smaller and lighter than what I was using before.

A year with Fuji x

Yeah I get that. I bought a Nikon D800 and some of Nikons finest glass, cost a fortune. I used it a lot at first, but find myself using it less and less due to the weight and bulk of the kit. In fact, Iíve just returned from a Caribbean cruise and didnt take any of it with me !!

It can take amazingly detailed pics, razor sharp and with good dynamic range. Thats if I can be bothered hiking it round with me. Lately I find myself using my IPhone and GoPro. I may actually consider selling the Nikon stuff and downsizing, technology is advancing so quick these days.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Very nice images there.

(Off to read up on Fuji X). ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Very nice images there.

R
    Don't bother reading up on them Ralphy, just buy one - you won't look back.
    Best Regards - Peter
    Please Note: It is possible that Griswold may know nothing whatsoever about horology. It's even possible that he has never even owned a watch. It is also highly possible the he has a strange imagination. His wife insists he would be far better off paying more attention to taking his medication on time.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Very nice images there.

R
    You'll find a lot of positives from those who love the X-Trans sensors and lots of hate from those who have tried them and can't get their workflow to change when processing images (X-Trans files need slightly different sharpening techniques). Of course, you could just shot using the amazing jpeg film simulations and never have to touch an editing programme.

Master
    You'll find a lot of positives from those who love the X-Trans sensors and lots of hate from those who have tried them and can't get their workflow to change when processing images (X-Trans files need slightly different sharpening techniques). Of course, you could just shot using the amazing jpeg film simulations and never have to touch an editing programme.
    Have to admit that I only use the jpegs so far. I can't be bothered with editing stuff afterwards in the main. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Journeyman
    Iíve recently traded in all my Nikon kit (except the FE) and moved to a Fujifilm XT 20. Really impressed so far. Image quality top class and so much lighter and more convenient.

Iíve always shot in RAW in the past but have struggled with the Fuji in Lightroom (I really need to upgrade). However the jpegs are simply gorgeous so Iím in no hurry

Master
    Beautiful shots mate. I switched from my Canon DSLR's to Fujifilm X100,then the X-Pro 1 about 4 years ago I think. Wouldn't go back now. Absolutely adore the cameras. Must get out more with them.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Have to admit that I only use the jpegs so far. I can't be bothered with editing stuff afterwards in the main. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.
    Nothing wrong with that, they're generally pretty stunning - classic chrome or velvia used in the right situations are just on the money...

This is a velvia shot, straight out of camera, Fuji does colour like nobody else:
    All the colours by Ash Smith, on Flickr

The only thing you're really missing by not getting involved with post processing is the exact creative choice over how the final image will look and some excellent shadow recovery from the X-trans raw files.

I know plenty of wedding photographers who have started using the CC jpegs and speeding up their workflow tenfold!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Beautiful shots mate. I switched from my Canon DSLR's to Fujifilm X100,then the X-Pro 1 about 4 years ago I think. Wouldn't go back now. Absolutely adore the cameras. Must get out more with them.
    Thanks mate, me either. I might look to add a X-Pro 2 to my bag in the new year, if for no other reason than to get the Acros film simulation!

Grand Master
    Thanks mate, me either. I might look to add a X-Pro 2 to my bag in the new year, if for no other reason than to get the Acros film simulation!
    Download the now free NIK Collection, it's already included in the Silver Effects Pro module. Works great with files from my X-20 and X-Pro 1.
    Best Regards - Peter

I've got the Nik collection, but the Acros profile there isn't quite the same - the in-camera version uses an algorithm to moderate the levels of 'noise' depending on the brightness (or otherwise) of different parts of the image, so you get a very film like grain, which isn't uniform across the image. Being very picky I know :)