closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Mechanical Alarms

Vintage Mechanical Alarms

I wasn't on the lookout for a new watch but this one called out to me when I saw it online. The dealer was about 15km away, the sun was out, so I cycled off to see it. It is a "4H" (as in, 4 hands) Citizen Alarm.

The 4H series began in June 1958 as Japan's first alarm watch. There were several dial designs and cases in steel or, like this one, steel capped in gold. The hand wound movement is Calibre 980 (981 is the same with a date), 5.7mm thick and 27mm wide, beating at 18,000bph. My one is the 17-jewel movement top-end gold capped version from 1963, a year prior to the original Tokyo Olympics. It is doing a fine job of retaining its looks despite being over half a century old:

The dial has a very subtle sunburst and is layered with applied overhanging indices:

The crown at 4 is for winding the movement and setting the time. The crown at 2 winds the alarm and sets the alarm time. Leaving this crown in the setting position arms the alarm. Pushing it in disables it. It is a very simple system. But what an alarm...

It uses a double caseback. The first one makes the sound, the pin (visible in the picture above) in this inner caseback is struck and the caseback itself then amplifies the effect by resonating. The second caseback with the 6 holes in it is the one next to the wearer's wrist. The holes let the sound out, and also shields the wearer from the vibration of the alarm.

The case size is an entirely modern 37mm:

You can see the subtle sunburst dial here:

These aren't so common but there are still some around. The basic movement seems hardy enough and the dials and cases on the ones I have seen are generally holding up well. Worth a look if you fancy a dress watch with an interesting and useful complication.

This one came from well-known antique watch dealer http://www.sweetroad.com who were very patient and knowledgable when I visited. I know some of you visit Tokyo from time to time. This place is worth a detour. Hundreds of vintage Seiko, Omega, Rolex and many other interesting models. It is located just outside Tokyo on the way to Yokohama, but an easy train ride from central Tokyo if you don't fancy cycling
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 3rd December 2017 at 04:16.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oooooh, very nice!!!!!

Journeyman
    Like it a lot. You’d never bump into anyone else with one that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice, squire. I really like the floating effect of the indices. The whole design is pure class, actually.

Congratulations. Lovely addition.

Thought I'd seen most things but that is a new one on me!

I love those interesting old Japanese watches.

Great catch.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    That's lovely, love the dial with the hanging markers. Such an interesting piece.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's very appealing on so many levels.

Thanks all. The alarm is both useful and easy to set/check. Much quicker and simpler than a digital.

There is a quick history of alarm watches here https://www.timepiecechronicle.com/f...-alarm-watches from where you can see the similarity of this movement to the Adolph Schild S.A. based one fitted to the Tudor Advisor of 1957 (and many others of the era):

And my Citizen Alarm:

It's all about that dial and hands though really...

Lovely classy old watch and interesting / informative write-up. Thanks.

Great looking watch and a useful feature too.

Master
    Great find, never seen one of those before. The alarm system must be one of the more useful complications in daily life and seems pleasantly simple and effective. Any chance of cancelling it by accident when it’s worn? Or is it intended mainly for waking up in the morning with the watch by the bed?

Master
    Very interesting watch thanks for sharing. So I take it the alarm rings twice a day/every 12 hrs? Not seen the video, but how loud is it?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

The alarm will sound at the set time and either a.) run down or b.) stop when you push the crown at 2 back in. So you'd have to wind the alarm again and arm it again to make it sound twice a day.

Good point about the similarity between the Citizen and AS.

A lot of the early Japanese stuff was often pretty much cribbed from Swiss designs.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    The alarm will sound at the set time and either a.) run down or b.) stop when you push the crown at 2 back in. So you'd have to wind the alarm again and arm it again to make it sound twice a day.
    Like that a lot. Such a charming mechanism.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Master
    I have just purchased an old 2004 girard perregaux traveller GMT with an alarm- awaiting delivery. I will tell you what it is like. Quite a complication.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    I have just purchased an old 2004 girard perregaux traveller GMT with an alarm- awaiting delivery. I will tell you what it is like. Quite a complication.
    Be nice to see that one. GP were one of the many who used the AS movement (as per the Tudor above) and I suspect the GMT owes at least a portion of its DNA back to that original.

Nice post and pics, I've been looking for something similar myself,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Cool

I have a couple of Sekonda mechanical alarms but nowhere near as nice as the Citizen

John

Would be happy to see those John. Thread title updated in anticipation

(BTW is that an MG Midget? I had one of those a long time ago!)
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 3rd December 2017 at 06:54.

Journeyman
    A very lovely addition. Enjoy!

Master
    Be nice to see that one. GP were one of the many who used the AS movement (as per the Tudor above) and I suspect the GMT owes at least a portion of its DNA back to that original.
    I will put it up once it lands

Blog Entries
    Thats a stunning dial on that, and size is good at 37mm. Great find I reckon.

The alarm feature was one of the reasons why I ventured into the pre-owned market when I first started in this hobby. Loved the early Memovoxes and I would up getting this IWC with the JLC alarm movement very early on.

I love the easy legibility of the dial...and at 40mm, the perfect size.

I've seen very very few of these over the years in the Ti...a couple in the steel.
    Last edited by Denizen; 3rd December 2017 at 17:11.

Very interesting Citizen and one I've never come across before.

I'm always surprised that the Omega Memomatic isn't much more appreciated. After all it was the world's first automatic alarm* watch which could be set to the minute and where the time and alarm function are powered by the same barrel. Speedmasters and Seamasters are much lauded by collectors but the Memomatic is a genuinely innovative timepiece that seems a little overlooked. Guess I would say that though ; )

Cheers,
    Gary

That Citizen is absolutely lovely; a real hidden gem. The dealer site is very interesting and there's one watch on there I'll probably torture myself over for a few days; I don't suppose that you're going back any time soon?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
    The alarm feature was one of the reasons why I ventured into the pre-owned market when I first started in this hobby. Loved the early Memovoxes and I would up getting this IWC with the JLC alarm movement very early on.
    Haven't seen that before, very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    ...the Memomatic is a genuinely innovative timepiece that seems a little overlooked. Guess I would say that though ; )
    Another good one! Does the automatic winding manage to keep the single barrel wound even if you use the alarm once a day? That's a good feature if so. I was told by the shop that I bought mine from to not wind the alarm barrel if I wasn't going to use it, to save a bit of wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    That Citizen is absolutely lovely; a real hidden gem. The dealer site is very interesting and there's one watch on there I'll probably torture myself over for a few days; I don't suppose that you're going back any time soon?
    I think they have a site on Rakuten https://www.rakuten.co.jp/sweetroad/ which might work with some of those shopping in Japan services (or directly?).

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Very interesting Citizen and one I've never come across before.

I'm always surprised that the Omega Memomatic isn't much more appreciated. After all it was the world's first automatic alarm* watch which could be set to the minute and where the time and alarm function are powered by the same barrel. Speedmasters and Seamasters are much lauded by collectors but the Memomatic is a genuinely innovative timepiece that seems a little overlooked. Guess I would say that though ; )

Cheers,
    Gary
    The Memomatic has got to be my ultimate alarm watch. Till then I just have to make do with a Bellmatic.

I think they have a site on Rakuten https://www.rakuten.co.jp/sweetroad/ which might work with some of those shopping in Japan services (or directly?).
    Thank you. The watch I had in mind has an exotic dial and their photos are quite lurid; I was interested in a second opinion. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Thank you. The watch I had in mind has an exotic dial and their photos are quite lurid; I was interested in a second opinion. Probably.
    I always appreciate an entreaty to view something exotic and lurid, although I regret have no immediate plans to return to the establishment. If perhaps you were to link to the item of interest, you might obtain more than a second opinion on its potential. If it doesn't tip your hand, of course

I always appreciate an entreaty to view something exotic and lurid, although I regret have no immediate plans to return to the establishment. If perhaps you were to link to the item of interest, you might obtain more than a second opinion on its potential. If it doesn't tip your hand, of course
    Thanks. I've just sent you a PM but having looked at the Rakuten site it appears to be out of stock anyway.

Yes sold out unfortunately. I like your thinking though.

Craftsman
    Thanks for sharring. Everyone should have a alarm in their collection

Another good one! Does the automatic winding manage to keep the single barrel wound even if you use the alarm once a day? That's a good feature if so.
    Yes it does, although the Memomatic was never intended as a true alarm watch, more of a reminder alarm. The alarm itself is pretty quiet and probably wouldn't wake many from the depths of sleep. It's more of a vibration on the wrist with a small ring. I think it was originally meant to act as a prompt, so you'd set it at 1.30 to remind yourself of a meeting with Adrian from accounts, that kind of thing.

Cheers,
    Gary

Love my Memostar.

Last edited by bobbee; 29th July 2018 at 16:21.

Master
    Right here we go. 2004 I believe Girard-Perregaux Traveler II (4935) self-winding automatic watch, 40mm stainless steel case, black dial on a black crocodile strap calf leather backing with stainless steel GP tang buckle. Functions include date, alarm, GMT, hours, minutes and seconds.

Tough to show in the photos how nice it is. I love the lugs clinging around the wrist and the Teper in the strap. Has an alarm also chaps. I will put it up on another thread but alarm, c’mon, gets it on here first.

Lume isn’t too bad either.

If someone can tell me how to upload a video via Tapatalk I will put one up of the alarm.

Cheers Fred

Right here we go. 2004 I believe Girard-Perregaux Traveler II (4935) self-winding automatic watch, 40mm stainless steel case, black dial on a black crocodile strap calf leather backing with stainless steel GP tang buckle. Functions include date, alarm, GMT, hours, minutes and seconds.

Tough to show in the photos how nice it is. I love the lugs clinging around the wrist and the Teper in the strap. Has an alarm also chaps. I will put it up on another thread but alarm, c’mon, gets it on here first.

If someone can tell me how to upload a video via Tapatalk I will put one up of the alarm.

Cheers Fred

Nice GP indeed..one of my favorite!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    Nice GP indeed..one of my favorite!!
    Do you know much about these then? I have done my homework but alway good to know more.

For instance it has a number on the back (A N. 272), I wouldn’t mind knowing how many were made of this version. Is there somewhere you can check this sort of thing?

Do you know much about these then? I have done my homework but alway good to know more.

For instance it has a number on the back (A N. 272), I wouldn’t mind knowing how many were made of this version. Is there somewhere you can check this sort of thing?

Unfortunately I can't help with the number of pieces made...an email to GP might help to solve the enigma
    Last edited by cirotti; 8th December 2017 at 17:48.

I've got this mechanical alarm watch, but I don't think it's vintage, although in many ways it feels and looks it.

M

Cheers Fred

I've not seen that before...nice.

The long lugs and the curved screwbars needed for the strap would give me pause though.

The long lugs and the curved screwbars needed for the strap would give me pause though.
    That's a beautiful Citizen, very classy.

I've a few alarm watches, but only one mechanical one....

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    That's a beautiful Citizen, very classy.

That looks quite fetching!

What's the size?

That Citizen is a very handsome watch. Very interesting piece indeed.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

That looks quite fetching!

What's the size?
    Thanks. It's 36mm sans crown.

I rather like it too, the alarm isn't awfully powerful though; enough for a reminder while I'm awake, but not enough to wake me from sleep.
    Best Regards - Peter

Master

Why is that? Not sure I know what you mean help me out if you will. Cheers.

That's nice and one I haven't seen before. If it is hand wind, the 17J and crown layout suggests it is likely based on the same A Schild S.A base as my Citizen and "...over 450 different alarm watches during the 1950's and 1960's with examples from Bulova, Gruen, Omega and many more" according to this page. I'm wearing the Citizen a lot and I really like its simplicity. No screw-down crown, just a quick wind in the morning. The alarm managed to wake me up in time for a late night work call too.

That's nice and one I haven't seen before. If it is hand wind, the 17J and crown layout suggests it is likely based on the same A Schild S.A base as my Citizen and "...over 450 different alarm watches during the 1950's and 1960's with examples from Bulova, Gruen, Omega and many more" according to this page. I'm wearing the Citizen a lot and I really like its simplicity. No screw-down crown, just a quick wind in the morning. The alarm managed to wake me up in time for a late night work call too.
    I've not taken the back off this one so can't vouch for the movement, though as you say, probably an A Schild as they were fitted to many makes around that time. Like yours, no screw down crown, and it only takes four or five turns of the crown to set it in motion. The case is chromium plated and in good condition for its age, the dial is excellent; would that the alarm was a little louder though. It gets worn in rotation with my other watches. I do rather like these older watches, something about them? or maybe just nostalgia? or maybe just 'not in your face' as so many modern watches?

Enjoy the Citizen, it's a beauty.
    Best Regards - Peter

Why is that? Not sure I know what you mean help me out if you will. Cheers.

Just an observation that the longer lugs on the GP in question, combined with the way the strap fits in deeper within the lugs...would make this watch a tough choice to buy for me. My wrist isn't large to start with.

That's all. :-)

I've not taken the back off this one so can't vouch for the movement, though as you say, probably an A Schild as they were fitted to many makes around that time. Like yours, no screw down crown, and it only takes four or five turns of the crown to set it in motion. The case is chromium plated and in good condition for its age, the dial is excellent; would that the alarm was a little louder though. It gets worn in rotation with my other watches. I do rather like these older watches, something about them? or maybe just nostalgia? or maybe just 'not in your face' as so many modern watches?

Enjoy the Citizen, it's a beauty.
    I have the same watch, though sadly not in as good condition. Mine appears overwound, which I know is a misnomer. The second hand moves for a couple of seconds and then stops.

Taking the back off mine it shows it as a Ronda 1223 movement.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&Ronda_1223_21

One of these days I must get it fixed!