closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strap for vintage Daytona

Strap for vintage Daytona

Thinking of getting a strap for my 6263 Daytona, and Bulang have helpfully come up with a guide/sales pitch which you can see here:

https://bulangandsons.com/strap-guide-rolex-daytona/

My watch is identical to the one here and I'm torn between several options. So which do you think looks best?

Lumberjack brown or blue/petrol. In any event, nothing too light as the high-contrast dial combo needs a darker-coloured strap to ‘frame’ it.

Craftsman
    Love the Newman black croco

Craftsman
    I think that the two tone blue and petrol one suits that particular watch face best.
    Would these straps also fit a 116520 Daytona?
    Quite like the Newman straps as I have pretty chunky wrists.

Master
    Excellent, been thinking of one for mine but hopeless picking straps so will watch with interest at the decisions of the great and the good.

Excellent site John. I like the first strap with the suede upper.

Out of interest what are the prices like, I did a similar thread last week about putting a strap on a 5512 - must check out the Sub section on that site.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Out of interest what are the prices like, I did a similar thread last week about putting a strap on a 5512 - must check out the Sub section on that site.
    Great minds and all that, it was my first choice but like I said straps confuse me!

I would personally put it on a Tropic like this:

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Great minds and all that, it was my first choice but like I said straps confuse me!
    See if you agree with me on the Submariner section. The one below at £100 - tempted.

Master
    Not keen Ken but then again Ime rubbish with straps, the only one I have liked was a vintage leather slightly distressed by Gobo, I think it was only about £40. Hand made and lovely quality but with subs and dwellers I prefer bracelets so I didn’t have it on long.

Prices are about 120 Euro depending on what you have. I'm afraid suede isn't for me. Looks fine but I can't stand the feel of it.

Interesting that a few people are going for the 'Paul Newman' straps. I saw an interview with someone from the auctioneers of THE Paul Newman. He said people were asking why they'd put it on such a horrible strap, not realising that it was similar to the one the man himself had used.

I'd look at the saffiano straps from GLC straps in Rome. This leather has become something of a fascination for me this year.

http://glcstraps.it/shop/

Infuriatingly the watch gallery on the website doesn't have any saffiano straps but they do have some Daytonas on suede; I think the price should beat Bulang hands down.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

So this is what I ended up with after ignoring all the advice! Tried darker ones but there didn't seem enough contrast with the bezel.
    Rubbish picture under harsh light but you get the idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stunning watch John, those 4 digit Daytonas are very special. Surprised you even bothered to ask advice on appropriate straps - very much down to personal taste. I have been wearing a £6 two piece NATO for the last week and it is great, very comfortable, no strap below the caseback and no foldy bit to turn under and tuck in.

^^^ Yes but it's always interesting to see what other people think. Sometimes someone comes up with something you haven't considered. Most people would never take this off the bracelet, but I'm not a fan of the old Rolex bracelets and will wear it more on leather.

I like the idea of a £6 nato strap. That wasn't on your 5512 was it???

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I like the idea of a £6 nato strap. That wasn't on your 5512 was it???
    No, it was on a Smiths Radio Room, but a cracking bit of kit for very little money. Got it from Carl at Gas Gas Bones.

Has to be a Tropic, that fat leather thing is all wrong. Were Tropics not offered as an option at purchase back then? Be careful fitting, the price of a decent house relying on a 10p springbar!

Did Chef Tubby Martin not have one of these on Saturday btw? Not sure if thats a goid or bad thing......

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Be careful fitting, the price of a decent house relying on a 10p springbar!
    Either you're from 1976 or it's worth more than I thought!

See if you agree with me on the Submariner section. The one below at £100 - tempted.

That's the one I bought a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Either you're from 1976 or it's worth more than I thought!
    Apologies, house oop Norf!

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Apologies, house oop Norf!
    Well I'm up north and couldn't buy anything better than you'd keep chickens in for the vale of this. No if it was a Paul Newman...

Master
    I would love to see more pictures to judge the strap’s quality!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk