closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of the most beautiful cars ever made

One of the most beautiful cars ever made

Craftsman
    Cannot disagree with that

Got up close to it at Goodwood, it really is a thing of beauty.

Norman had a bad day when he trashed it but a thing of beauty it is indeed

That sounded amazing!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    Cannot disagree with that
    Me neither. 100%.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The lines are amazing but I would rather listen to it, fantastic sounding beast.

Lovely.

Was hoping to disagree (assuming it was yet another 911 thread! ), but there's no question!

M

Master
    Again and again you read of people gushing over the classic models of the past... the looks, the engines, etc....

Why don't the car manufacturers make something like this today? Strip out all the cushy rubbish like trendy touch 17" screens and all that multimedia crap, fancy heating a/c out, electric this and that out and just make a drop dead gorgeous car with a fantastic engine.

Master
    I always thought Bill Lyons had the perfect eye when it came to style of his cars....

The beautiful XK120 FHC is a prime example..

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Again and again you read of people gushing over the classic models of the past... the looks, the engines, etc....

Why don't the car manufacturers make something like this today? Strip out all the cushy rubbish like trendy touch 17" screens and all that multimedia crap, fancy heating a/c out, electric this and that out and just make a drop dead gorgeous car with a fantastic engine.
    It's a combination of factors - Euro NCAP regs covering crash protection for the car occupants and pedestrians, coupled with "expectations" of what makes a "premium" or "luxury" car. Add those to the ever-increasing electronics burdening even fairly basic cars, and there's not much opportunity left for "style" or "elegance". Engines are restricted by emissions regulations, and some alleged performance car engines have synthesised noise from proper engines played through their sound systems.

Just occasionally a manufacturer can wrestle a silk purse from the sow's ear of regulatory requirements, but most take the view that profit lies in giving the masses what they want, so it's gadgetry, a soft, wallowy, insulated ride and five Euro NCAP stars all the way to the bank.

How often do you see a proud owner of a new premium performance car boasting about having "all the toys"? Steering feedback and behaviour during the initial third of the turn-in don't matter if you have a seat which vibrates your buttocks should you be inattentive enough to stray across a white line, or Apple CarPlay.

Beautiful car, fabulous noise.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I have a bit of a Diecast 'problem', but this one was a bargain some years ago

Even in scale model form, it's a stunner!

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I have a bit of a Diecast 'problem', but this one was a bargain some years ago

Even in scale model form, it's a stunner!

M
    Nice. What model is that?

It's the Autoart 1:18th scale one.

I don't think it's in production any more and used ones are usually quite expensive on eBay.

M

Very nice.
    Prefer an early Aston though.

My 21 year-old Daimler Six.

I like to think that some of the classic Jaguar DNA has filtered down to the lines of this car.
    Engine is the last of the straight six dohc series.

Last edited by calypso; 6th December 2017 at 08:49.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post

The original Mazda MX-5 came close, I suppose, and the market was certainly there.

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
    The original Mazda MX-5 came close, I suppose, and the market was certainly there.
    Top man, XJ13-MX-5 in 18 posts. It's almost as if you started this thread just to troll everyone!

Incidentally I think you're right. The MX-5 was dreamed up by Bob Hall, who at the time was a journalist working in LA. His father had a Big Healey and Hall Jr. was eventually old enough to get insured on it after a few years of being driven round in it. Later on he started wondering why no one made anything like the Healey and the MX-5 was born. The Healey and MX-5 (Mk1) certainly feel similar to drive (although the MX's steering and gearchange feel much closer to those of the MGB) and have very similar character. The MX doesn't have the looks but then it's a product of its time and I can't think of anything designed post-1960s that comes close to looking as good as Maserati 3500GT, Mercedes 300SL (or even better, Uhlenhart SLR coupé), XK120 and so on. Which, actually, were all 1950s designs. Still, the MX-5 has the character but crucially is properly built, something you can't necessarily say about Lotuses.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Near perfection for me along with the XKSS.
    The nearest I got (fairly close I think) was a 96 Metallic Forrest Green XK8 with 20" XKR alloys. Great lines and definite DNA of those 60's greats.

The original Mazda MX-5 came close
    No minger, but hardly "one of the most beautiful cars ever made"

Ferrari 246 Dino, 250GT California or 330 P4 and Lamborghini Miura all spring to mind as genuine contenders.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Ferrari 246 Dino, 250GT California or 330 P4 and Lamborghini Miura all spring to mind as genuine contenders.
    Almost my selection to a tee.

I'd possibly add a DB4 Zagato to the mix.

I quite like the Stratos as well but I'm aware that's a bit left field.

I've never thought the Dino was that attractive, and I just don't get the hype with the Miura. Both nice cars, the Miura more so, but I find the Alfa T33 and quite a few other cars more attractive. Is it an early mid-engine thing?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jaguar revivng the E-type? It is an electric car though.

http://media.jaguar.com/news/2017/09...0&brand=jaguar

Craftsman
    Their F Type looks lovely...

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Bored on the train, so coding helps me

This thread needs pictures

Got to get a pretty bum in here somewhere. I have a 911 and my wife is unimpressed by dinner party boasts that I have two gorgeous bottoms in the household......

The 1970's one obviously

Imagine this coming up behind you on the M1 in '74 !
    Last edited by The Doc; 6th December 2017 at 22:43.

Prettier, louder and more fun to watch than the modern bore-fest

Master
    I've always considered the 1950s Bentley R-Type Continental as bodied by H J Mulliner to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made:

It's one of those cars which will be in my garage come a huge win on the Euromillions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

https://youtu.be/KQIRbV_noi8?t=30s

A spot of Mat Monro,
    Last edited by number2; 7th December 2017 at 11:11.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    My 21 year-old Daimler Six.

I like to think that some of the classic Jaguar DNA has filtered down to the lines of this car.
    Engine is the last of the straight six dohc series.

Some nice cars in this thread but this is the one that pushes my buttons!

The Alfa T33 Stradale absolutely is the one for me (but I would say that, wouldn't I).

I'm certainly in the 'one of the most beautiful cars...' camp, but I'll admit to some bias though as I'm a Jaguar fan, having owned a number of them.

Norman Dewis, the test driver who crashed the XJ13, is a remarkably sprite 97 year-old who I've had the pleasure to meet twice, he's an absolute gentleman and a legend in the motor world. Here's an interview with him from last year (if you want to skip to his recount of the crash jump to 24:00):

(Apologies, the link starts the interview at 11 minutes in and I can't work out why, so you need to adjust it).

My current Jaguar is an XKR, the lines of which I prefer over it's successor, the F-type.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 7th December 2017 at 08:29.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Very nice.
    Prefer an early Aston though.
    "Early Aston " you say..

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I've never thought the Dino was that attractive, and I just don't get the hype with the Miura. Both nice cars, the Miura more so, but I find the Alfa T33 and quite a few other cars more attractive. Is it an early mid-engine thing?
    Good question.

It's a combination of things but the smaller size appeals as those of us of a certain age have been brought up on Colin Chapman's principles of keeping kerbweight to a minimum.

I find the Dino to be quite a poignant proposition as well bearing in mind the history of Enzo and his son.

It's the compactness of the design that works for me. I like the fact it has a relatively low output as well - I've never driven one but from road tests it doesn't appear to be waiting for an opportunity to kill the driver. So I imagine it would be more of a companion on the twisty stuff than a pocket screamer.

The Stratos is very similar and shares some DNA.

The Miura is less attractive I think although it works from a rear three-quarter position. I prefer the Countach and in practice if I had to choose I'd probably go for a Jalpa anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I watched that film as an 11 year old, and realised that there is nothing more stylish than an Italian (Rossano Brazzi), driving an Italian car, in the Alps, to Matt Monro.

If I won the Euromillions, I'd rename myself Carlo, or better BRUNO (!), and take off round europe in a Miura, smoking endless cigarettes and and looking for pretty girls

Every time I go to Italy to see my family there, I am struck by how achingly, effortlessly and frustratingly stylish they are. And just look at the cars above. Last time I was there I had an Alfa Romeo hire car and the armrest in the down position hit the handbrake and knocked it off if you weren't careful. But, by God it was a beautiful car.

My wife, who is way way above my league, still gets leering/complimentary comments from strangers when we are there, to her delight.

Master
    I watched that film as an 11 year old, and realised that there is nothing more stylish than an Italian (Rossano Brazzi), driving an Italian car, in the Alps, to Matt Monro.

If I won the Euromillions, I'd rename myself Carlo, or better BRUNO (!), and take off round europe in a Miura, smoking endless cigarettes and and looking for pretty girls

Every time I go to Italy to see my family there, I am struck by how achingly, effortlessly and frustratingly stylish they are. And just look at the cars above. Last time I was there I had an Alfa Romeo hire car and the armrest in the down position hit the handbrake and knocked it off if you weren't careful. But, by God it was a beautiful car.

My wife, who is way way above my league, still gets leering/complimentary comments from strangers when we are there, to her delight.
    Even the way the way the cigarette hangs from his lips as he's driving looks cool.

PS I do wonder if women really like being seen as sex symbols... they won't admit as such but deep down....

Master

Pictures, or she didn't happen! lol (couldn't resist)

I think when Aston and Jag collaborated with their DB7 and XK8 respectively I thought both were stunning modern masterpieces.

As a chronological list: -

1960's - Toyota 2000GT
    1970's - DeTomaso Pantera
    1980's - Ferrari 308GTS (Magnum PI's car!)
    1990's - McLaren F1/Aston DB7/Jaguar XK8

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Pictures, or she didn't happen! lol (couldn't resist)
    There's a shot of her bum in #32... well if it's not then 'Doc has some explaining ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I think when Aston and Jag collaborated with their DB7 and XK8 respectively I thought both were stunning modern masterpieces.
    I had no idea they collaborated, I thought Ian Callum simply worked for Aston Martin and then left for Jaguar.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    The Alfa T33 Stradale absolutely is the one for me (but I would say that, wouldn't I).
    That is stunning.

Blog Entries
    This:

Not a quick car by modern days' standard. A simple 320D can keep up the with Aston in traffic (first-hand experience). Nore the technology... The Aston shares quite a few items from the Jaguar parts bin. Especially clutch parts.
    But the looks of this car. It's só beautiful! Just a paper wrap and put it in my driveway.

Notnowkato published a pic of the DB4. Equally beautiful. But please, please... no chrome w/wheels.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 7th December 2017 at 17:58.