closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Tudor under the radar

It would need to be a pretty poor 'radar'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    To be honest I think anything that doesn’t have ‘Rolex’ written on the dial is under the radar for 95% of people. Most of the rest have some quite odd ideas, and only the tiny minority that remain know every brand and watch from a hundred paces. Hardly anyone I know has ever heard of Vacheron Constantin, making it a very under the radar choice in theory. On seeing a Royal Oak for the first time, another friend’s response was simply ‘That’s weird!’ I’m not sure what to conclude from this, but probably ‘wear what you like and don’t worry about it’, with the possible exception of Rolex which will be noticed, and old branding Grand Seikos, which were genuinely ‘under the radar’ as preconceptions dictated that they couldn’t possibly cost as much as they did. As for Tudor, people will probably assume it’s exactly what it is - a watch that’s neither cheap nor in Rolex territory, that possibly has something to do with that footballer with the nice hair.
    agree with this. most people won't have heard have tudor, let alone be able to recognise one.

Craftsman
    Build quality is fantastic and the Black Bay in the second hand market is a steal - have a Pelagos and a recently acquired BB Bronze (from Sales Corner) which has replaced my 2007 non date Sub as my daily wearer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    Build quality is fantastic and the Black Bay in the second hand market is a steal - have a Pelagos and a recently acquired BB Bronze (from Sales Corner) which has replaced my 2007 non date Sub as my daily wearer.
    do you find they get recognised much?

Craftsman
    I really like it, I also feel that is a special watch. But as others said, the comparison with the sub is a inevitable one, they are similar and part of the same family in my eyes..

I would love to have the sub and the blue pelagos

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Tudor is still very much under the radar in the US. These entered the market here back in 2013

As a brand they're gaining altitude and slowly loosing their under the radar status, though this is to be expected seeing as they were relaunched a few years ago and they've now got Becks and Gaga on-board. My local AD has had their display in the most prominent window position since they've stocked them, anyone walking past and paying attention to what's on show can't help but notice them. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that people know Tudor, more just maybe know the name.

As for any watch being under the radar - it doesn't matter what brand it is, if it's large/bling/gold and not just your typical black dial and steel then it'll stand a higher chance of being noticed. Everyone and their dog knows Rolex for example, as a brand they're absolutely not under the radar, though they have many watches that are.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    As a brand they're gaining altitude and slowly loosing their under the radar status, though this is to be expected seeing as they were relaunched a few years ago and they've now got Becks and Gaga on-board. My local AD has had their display in the most prominent window position since they've stocked them, anyone walking past and paying attention to what's on show can't help but notice them. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that people know Tudor, more just maybe know the name.

As for any watch being under the radar - it doesn't matter what brand it is, if it's large/bling/gold and not just your typical black dial and steel then it'll stand a higher chance of being noticed. Everyone and their dog knows Rolex for example, as a brand they're absolutely not under the radar, though they have many watches that are.
    Yes, to the gen pop they are still unknown, but to WIS and Social Media they are becoming more well known, even saw Brian Conley wearing one, and he didn't look like a Puppet!

as a brand they're absolutely not under the radar, though they have many watches that are.
    Pretty much like every other High Steeet watch brand (Oris, Lorus, Tissot, Hamilton etc etc).

Master
    Did a bit of a tour of the far East before Xmas, and in a number of the up market shopping centres the Rolex boutiques have been changed to Tudor, and there is no Rolex representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Did a bit of a tour of the far East before Xmas, and in a number of the up market shopping centres the Rolex boutiques have been changed to Tudor, and there is no Rolex representation.
    Hull?

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post

To my eyes, the Rolex text is less obvious, the Tudor seems bottom heavy and like its perched on top of the 6 marker..
    These two images illustrate to my eye the price difference.

"I was once told by my local AD you can have interest free credit on any watch brand in the store except Rolex (I didn’t want it or ask for it). I asked why and his response was that ‘Rolex think if you have to lend the money to buy one you they don’t want you wearing it’."

What a misconception!

No credit for a 5K watch, but Bentley, Rolls, Ferrari will get you wearing theirs on credit?

Master
    I suspect every brand other than Rolex, Seiko, Citizen, Tag and Michael Kors could be considered 'under the radar'.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Based on the photos only, or handling also?

Pelagos feels a significantly better made watch vs my 14060 (albeit different to the photo), but every time I pick up the sub, it reminds me of how comically cheap the bracelet felt when I first purchased it.

Without sounding like Boris the Blade, some form of solidity certainly adds a feeling of quality vs a more tin effect. Think of slamming an 80’s fiesta car door vs something German.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    "I was once told by my local AD you can have interest free credit on any watch brand in the store except Rolex (I didn’t want it or ask for it). I asked why and his response was that ‘Rolex think if you have to lend the money to buy one you they don’t want you wearing it’."

What a misconception!

No credit for a 5K watch, but Bentley, Rolls, Ferrari will get you wearing theirs on credit?
    Interest free credit now though!
    So something must have changed.

Craftsman
    I think them being under the radar is only a good thing. Higher brand awareness will only mean higher prices

Craftsman
    I am not sure i 'get' Tudor'. Every conversation i hear somewhere along the way goes on about them being made by Rolex and Rolex enters the conversation, they sound like a poor mans Rolex.

Are they made by Rolex?

And what is it with the weird shaped hour hand?

Please don't bash me for wondering. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    I am not sure i 'get' Tudor'. Every conversation i hear somewhere along the way goes on about them being made by Rolex and Rolex enters the conversation, they sound like a poor mans Rolex.

Are they made by Rolex?

Tudor is owned by the same company that own Rolex so they bennefit form that is many ways I imagine. From what I have read they are made by a different company and different people so not in the same premesis as Rolex. It is no different to search groupnowning both omega and longines. I personally view it as it’s own brand but there will always be those who see it as a poor mans rolex and the same folk probably see longines as a poor mans omega and a Porsche Boxster as a poor mans 911.

Ultimately what do YOU think? Longines and Tudor are great brands in their own rights and produce different style watches compared to their more expensive siblings.

Craftsman
    Cheers Stunno1, i was not aware that Longines were linked to Omega but is that just purely because they are part of the Swatch group. As such that is more a financial rather than physical link to me.

I wonder as Tudor seem, or their older watches at least, intrinsically linked to Rolex. I say this as i have seen older Tudor watches with Rolex marked parts and such on them.

Master
    Cheers Stunno1, i was not aware that Longines were linked to Omega but is that just purely because they are part of the Swatch group. As such that is more a financial rather than physical link to me.

I wonder as Tudor seem, or their older watches at least, intrinsically linked to Rolex. I say this as i have seen older Tudor watches with Rolex marked parts and such on them.
    Back way back then Rolex used to use Tudor to test movements and they shared parts etc. Now as far as I am aware they are separate companies like longines and omega are under swatch. Like omega and longines providing a more affordable alternative to the more expensive brand within the umbrella.

I seem to recall an article asking Rolex why they didn’t take the spring design from the pelagos for themselves and they said they wanted the brands to remain distinct from each other and both to have innovative elements to their watches that are differentiators. Also, Rolex don’t treat both sides of the crystal with anti glare but Tudor do etc
    Last edited by Stuno1; 24th January 2018 at 10:13.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    All luxury watches are under the radar as 99% of the public don't notice or care!

You saying we are only a 1% minority ?

I know where you are coming from but I think there is a rising interest in nice mechanical watches and quite a few of that is with the younger generation.

Also I think we have to take Rolex out of that equation as everyone I've ever spoken to know of Rolex, well nearly everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    All luxury watches are under the radar as 99% of the public don't notice or care!

I have to say I agree with that. The average person pays no attention to what watch you wear. In my experience people pay far more attention to what car you drive.

Master
    They don’t to me so keen to understand why they do for you? What they demonstrate is the tool element of the pelagos and the way the Rolex is more rounded with polished surfaces and polished elements around the inedcies etc. That doesn’t illustrate price differences to me though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    They don’t to me so keen to understand why they do for you? What they demonstrate is the tool element of the pelagos and the way the Rolex is more rounded with polished surfaces and polished elements around the inedcies etc. That doesn’t illustrate price differences to me though.
    They don't to me either. If anything they make me wonder why there is a price difference.

Craftsman

Green BB.

If anyone is looking for the Green edition BB. One can be found at Blowers with the reasonable price tag of £6.5k for the now not so limited edition of put your name on the list at Harrods and you shall receive one from Tudor.

Modern Tudors at £6.5k. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    After my purchase of the Tudor Pelagos last week I have read up alot more on Tudor and in general.
    In the watch forums it seems Tudor are raved about but outside of this it seems a unknown brand.
    Now before the comments come in this is not about (look at that guys watch it's an *****) if it was about that the SD would never be off the wrist.
    I love the Tudor and to be honest I would rather have this on the wrist than Rolex, Omega etc I love the look, Quality and the brand plus a sense of knowing that the watch I have on is all of this and I may just as well have a £10 beater on in many people's eyes.
    Views appreciated.

Are they made by Rolex?

Yes, they are made by Rolex. The old ones have a pedestrian ETA or Fleurier movement rather than an in-house movement. That is changing now that Tudor is starting to produce their own movements.

The "weird shaped hour hand" is a based on the Tudor snowflake watches from the late 60's to the early 80's. The design is tremendously functional. There is no mistaking the hour hand for the minute hand and the time can be read instantly.

I worked at an AD in high school and a Tudor Snowflake cost $400 - exactly half of what a Rolex Sub cost. I desperately wanted a blue one but could never afford it. I made $3.35 an hour and had to pay for car insurance, gas and dinner for my girlfriend once a week. I eventually got this one a few years back - it's not blue and it cost me about six times what it would have cost me in high school. It gains about 3 seconds a day, pretty good for a watch almost 40 years old.

You don’t need Gaga and Becks to sell these beauties...

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    You don’t need Gaga and Becks to sell these beauties
    They might put a few people off though.

I don't think they are.

Sure they don't have the universal recognition of Omega, Breitling, TAG Heuer or Rolex, but most high streets and shopping centres in the UK will have at least one jeweller with a pretty prominent display of Tudor watches.

I'd be interested to know how people in shops position Tudor - If you go in saying "That's a nice watch, can I have a look at it", do they show it to you and describe the features or does it quickly become "This is really a Rolex, except for the name"?

I tried on Pelagos once and wasn't too excited by it, but recently I've been coming around to the idea of one again (I still quite like the idea of a Titanium diver's watch), but I'd be put off if someone pushed it as a "Poor man's Rolex"...

Maybe I should do some research myself at the weekend

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 26th January 2018 at 09:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    They might put a few people off though.
    Me included, glad I got this before they came on the scene 🙄

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't think they are.

Sure they don't have the universal recognition of Omega, Breitling, TAG Heuer or Rolex, but most high streets and shopping centres in the UK will have at least one jeweller with a pretty prominent display of Tudor watches.

I'd be interested to know how people in shops position Tudor - If you go in saying "That's a nice watch, can I have a look at it", do they show it to you and describe the features or does it quickly become "This is really a Rolex, except for the name"?

I tried on Pelagos once and wasn't too excited by it, but recently I've been coming around to the idea of one again (I still quite like the idea of a Titanium diver's watch), but I'd be put off if someone pushed it as a "Poor man's Rolex"...

Maybe I should do some research myself at the weekend

M.

When I bought mine there was no mention of Rolex. I was already aware of the link as well. If folk want a Rolex really they should just hang on a bit longer. Like anything if you buy something other than what you really want it will never live up to expectation. For me tudor is a quality brand in its own right and the Rolex association played no part in my purchase.

I was originally dead-set on getting a Rolex and was actually contacted by Mappin & Webb (having been on the waiting list for short while - late 2015) when a new Submariner date came in a couple of days after the BBN became available. Do I ever regret rejecting the Rolex to buy the Tudor? No.

When I bought mine there was no mention of Rolex. I was already aware of the link as well. If folk want a Rolex really they should just hang on a bit longer. Like anything if you buy something other than what you really want it will never live up to expectation. For me tudor is a quality brand in its own right and the Rolex association played no part in my purchase.
    I agree, but I wondered if the pitch was that it's a 'Cheap Rolex'.

Obviously not in your case.

M

Master

M
    I hope not. For me that devalues the brand. I guess like you say, it would be interesting if anyone is sold one in that way.

Craftsman
    I've got a BBN and most recently when people who aren't interested in watches spot it they say - "ooh is that the one that David Beckham advertises". No one has mentioned the Rolex affiliation to me which could be because:
    1. They aren't aware of it...
    2. They are thinking it, but don't want to offend me!

M
    I bought a BB36 a couple of days ago and there was no mention of Rolex at all until I mentioned them, after which the assistant appeared to be keen on distancing the two brands stating that Tudor was its own company with a dedicated design team, manufacturing facilities and so on. Whenever I've tried Tudors on in the past I've always got the impression that the R name wasn't to be dropped into the conversation and that the Tudor brand was to stand on its own merits, which is the right way of doing things IMO.

I bought a BB36 a couple of days ago and there was no mention of Rolex at all until I mentioned them, after which the assistant appeared to be keen on distancing the two brands stating that Tudor was its own company with a dedicated design team, manufacturing facilities and so on. Whenever I've tried Tudors on in the past I've always got the impression that the R name wasn't to be dropped into the conversation and that the Tudor brand was to stand on its own merits, which is the right way of doing things IMO.
    Good to hear.

I think their watches are good enough in their own right without association with the R word.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Good to hear.

I think their watches are good enough in their own right without association with the R word.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I'm not so sure it is a good thing.

They obviously feel that they could do more damage to Rolex than damage to Tudor by the association.

I like both Rolex and Tudor, but as Rolex provided the Oyster case, I would have preferred something along the lines of Oyster Case Designed by Rolex on the case back similar to the older Tudor models.

They aren't going to escape their history, and there is no point trying, as it most likely very beneficial - unless you are going to sell it off! Hmmm
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    They obviously feel that they could do more damage to Rolex than damage to Tudor by the association.
    I don't think that has been suggested or inferred at all. Perhaps Tudor just want to be considered on their (considerable) merits?

Quote Originally Posted by dobbsie View Post
    I don't think that has been suggested or inferred at all. Perhaps Tudor just want to be considered on their (considerable) merits?
    I’m suggesting it and inferring it. It seems obvious to me, but I accept others will have their own take.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Well I'm refuting it because is nothing more than an opinion, and a bloody long one at that.

Journeyman
    I have become a big fan of Tudor over the last few years. When talking to people, I very rarely hear the roles association being mentioned, which is a good thing

Apprentice
    Yes it is. Look at for example this Big Block, which challenges Daytonas easily. I could get a Daytona, but I prefer this.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    Yes it is. Look at for example this Big Block, which challenges Daytonas easily. I could get a Daytona, but I prefer this.

That’s a great watch 👍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    That’s a great watch
    I'll second that, good value compared to a Daytona.

Journeyman
    I think they are somewhat under the radar despite high profile brand ambassadors. I think if you're a watch fan you definitely know them, but to the average person they won't be a commonly-known brand. I would love to get a BB red at some point, on the distressed leather - they look gorgeous!

Master
    Picked this up before Christmas as a work watch. Must say that I really like it, will be interesting see how it patinates over time. Super accurate also, about +5 seconds in a week.

Craftsman
    Deffo under the radar, only had one person mention “haven’t they something to do with Rolex?...”

Yep mate, poor man’s Rolex ;-)

Pelagos is the dog’s, lume is 2nd to none, clarity at 4am is better than anything I have.

I hope not. For me that devalues the brand. I guess like you say, it would be interesting if anyone is sold one in that way.
    I can't see anyone being persuaded to buy one if told it's is a 'poor person's Rolex'!

I'd wager their spiel is more along the lines of it being a very high value Rolex relative.