closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Tudor under the radar

Craftsman

Is Tudor under the radar

After my purchase of the Tudor Pelagos last week I have read up alot more on Tudor and in general.
    In the watch forums it seems Tudor are raved about but outside of this it seems a unknown brand.
    Now before the comments come in this is not about (look at that guys watch it's an *****) if it was about that the SD would never be off the wrist.
    I love the Tudor and to be honest I would rather have this on the wrist than Rolex, Omega etc I love the look, Quality and the brand plus a sense of knowing that the watch I have on is all of this and I may just as well have a £10 beater on in many people's eyes.
    Views appreciated.

Master
    Currently yes. But with Beckham and lady gaga on board as well as a reasonable advertising campaign I've seen tied in the the all blacks. That may change

Craftsman
    Tudor is fairly new to the UK, they only returned a couple of years ago after a long absence. I bought my first Tudor around 5 years ago brand new from Italy and found that you could sell in the UK at a decent profit, i ended up buying about a dozen from Italy, Germany and Belgium and sold them all no problem. Then they were introduced back into the UK and the desire seemed to disappear, i think they were definitely more desirable when you couldn't just go to Goldsmiths or Ernest Jones and buy one. They are trying to raise their profile, David Beckham is one of the most recognised people in the country and he is now a Tudor ambassador, it will take time to become a well known brand, but i do think they'll get there. Hope so anyway, my new Black Bay Chronograph should be here early next week

Master
    Definitely in the UK given they didn't even sell/market them til recently. I was very close to buying the Pelagos myself - but just can't pull off a 42mm for my skinny wrists. Shame as the lumed bezel, titanium bracelet, and glidelock clasp is one of, if not the best, out there and right up my street!

Journeyman
    At first, Tudor was not in my sight. Because I don't like Rolex watches. But after I saw the Black Bay Bronze Blue (Bucherer Edition). I'm in love with it. Unfortunately, I contacted Bucherer and got reply back that they won't open for waiting list anymore.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by torsinsit View Post
    At first, Tudor was not in my sight. Because I don't like Rolex watches. But after I saw the Black Bay Bronze Blue (Bucherer Edition). I'm in love with it. Unfortunately, I contacted Bucherer and got reply back that they won't open for waiting list anymore.
    Try the watch gallery in London, they have just been taken over by Bucherer, i'm on the list there, although they did say it would be some time next year and than was a couple of months ago

Craftsman
    Most people aren't into watches so only the ones with lots of advertising and sponsorship deals are generally known: Rolex, Omega, Longines and TAG are probably the most recognised.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I think my Heritage Ranger has garnered the most comments of any of my watches, but they also reference it along with being advertised by Mr Beckham, so clearly they are doing something right.

Great watches, it was this or a North Flag and it was a tough choice.

I hope they stay under the radar, hoping to get one soon.

Craftsman

Is Tudor under the radar

I bought a Pelagos last month and the dealer said they had noticed a steady increase in demand over the past few months. Might be the new advertising campaign or might be the run up to Christmas. Who knows?
    All I can say is I’m really pleased with mine and there’s been quite a few threads recently where others have also had positive comments on them.

Journeyman

Is Tudor under the radar

I very much like the Tudor range, good to see them introducing new and interesting models. Here’s my North Flag on a strap I bought about 18 months ago.

Straightforward no nonsense build and finishing but high quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by slever; 2nd December 2017 at 09:39.

Master
    They are very much under the radar which is a draw for me. Working in finance everyone seems to have a Rolex, omega or brightling with only a few who know about watches buying other premium lesser known brands.

I have an onega and love it but it does draw attention. I see Rolex as being like Porsche for people who know nothing about watches (appreciate that’s not the case on this forum) and that really turns me off that particular brand, as it does with Porsche. This is from talking to many friends. Owning something like a Tudor that you know is built very very well and to my eye looks great and flys undetected is a bonus. Also, with the new movement accuracy and power reserve it’s a bargain (pelagos and north flag).

Of course we will all have different opinions but I have really wanted to Tudor. For me having someone like David beckham advertise it actually devalues the brand. It will attract the folk who know nothing about watches but want it because he advertises it.

Craftsman
    I really wish they'd do the North Flag with a different highlight colour, I love the design but I hate yellow! It'd look great if the yellow was a red or maybe blue colour.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by slever View Post
    I very much like the Tudor range, good to see them introducing new and interesting models. Here’s my North Flag on a strap I bought about 18 months ago.

Like that, could be on my Christmas list🤔

Journeyman

Is Tudor under the radar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    They are very much under the radar which is a draw for me. Working in finance everyone seems to have a Rolex, omega or brightling with only a few who know about watches buying other premium lesser known brands.

I have an onega and love it but it does draw attention. I see Rolex as being like Porsche for people who know nothing about watches (appreciate that’s not the case on this forum) and that really turns me off that particular brand, as it does with Porsche. This is from talking to many friends. Owning something like a Tudor that you know is built very very well and to my eye looks great and flys undetected is a bonus. Also, with the new movement accuracy and power reserve it’s a bargain (pelagos and north flag).

Of course we will all have different opinions but I have really wanted to Tudor. For me having someone like David beckham advertise it actually devalues the brand. It will attract the folk who know nothing about watches but want it because he advertises it.
    I felt exactly the same as you about Porsche and Rolex and avoided both for many years; It’s the same in the high tech business. In the end I got a 15200 steel Perpetual date to see what ‘all the fuss was about’. Then I bought a 911 to see what ‘all the fuss was about’. Luckily, the Porsche was brilliant and I bought three more subsequently. The Rolex is still much enjoyed too.

The only two things I’d never buy are a Tag and and Audi (warming to the R8 in my old age though).
    Last edited by slever; 2nd December 2017 at 10:17.

Master

If I didn’t have my aquaterra i would have bought the north flag. It was in fact this watch that drew me to Tudor and subsequent research that showed me the pelagos that I bought. It adds more diversity to my small collection.

Master

Under the radar? Enjoy it while you can.

If their new advertising/ambassador drive comes off they may become as must have for every wanna be pop star/gangsta/mogul as a Rolex and you'll have the dealer saying (through a smirk) "sorry sir, 2 year waiting list" and when you eventually get one they will be taking its virginity with sticker removal and making every employee wear it for a day so it's not flip material. But all is not lost, you'll be able to get a pelagos for £6000 from a grey dealer.

Journeyman
    If I didn’t have my aquaterra i would have bought the north flag. It was in fact this watch that drew me to Tudor and subsequent research that showed me the pelagos that I bought. It adds more diversity to my small collection.
    Mine was a bit of an impulse buy but I had been keeping an eye on them for a while. The new in house movement was the final straw that broke the wallets back. Agree blue and red accents would help lift sales, yellow is a Marmite colour.

Master
    I felt exactly the same as you about Porsche and Rolex and avoided both for many years; It’s the same in the high tech business. In the end I got a 15200 steel Perpetual date to see what ‘all the fuss was about’. Then I bought a 911 to see what ‘all the fuss was about’. Anyway, the Porsches were brilliant and I bought three more subsequently. The Rolex is still much enjoyed too.

The only two things I’d never buy are a Tag and and Audi (warming to the R8 in my old age though).

I bought an Evora in a 911’s place but am sure I will have a Porsche at some stage in the future. I was intending to buy an explorer but the price is silly for the watch when I looked at what the pelagos offers.

Journeyman
    I bought an Evora in a 911’s place but am sure I will have a Porsche at some stage in the future. I was intending to buy an explorer but the price is silly for the watch when I looked at what the pelagos offers.
    The Evora is a real head turner, a bit braver and a very a confident, independent choice compared to the usual sports cars. I’d consider a Milgaus if I was to add another Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Under the radar? Enjoy it while you can.

If their new advertising/ambassador drive comes off they may become as must have for every wanna be pop star/gangsta/mogul as a Rolex and you'll have the dealer saying (through a smirk) "sorry sir, 2 year waiting list" and when you eventually get one they will be taking its virginity with sticker removal and making every employee wear it for a day so it's not flip material. But all is not lost, you'll be able to get a pelagos for £6000 from a grey dealer.
    Best we start buying up all the ETA Black Bays that are still around and sticking them in a safe for ten years then..... 😉

Master
    The Evora is a real head turner, a bit braver and a very a confident, independent choice compared to the usual sports cars. I’d consider a Milgaus if I was to add another Rolex.

It certainly drew a lot of attention, all of the right sort as well. My old manager had a Milgaus and it was a fantastic looking watch.

Journeyman

Is Tudor under the radar

The female sort of attention?
    Last edited by slever; 2nd December 2017 at 10:36.

Tudor is not exactly above the radar on watch forums either unless you are talking about their dive watches. I can’t remember ever seeing a picture of a Tudor glamour or Tudor style on here.

Master

Great pic.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    The female sort of attention?
    Haha... yes some female attention. Also on a number of occasions I came back to the car to find people looking in it and taking pictures. Often people approached asking what the car was, lots of compliments from folks in petrol stations etc. Not once did I get a middle finger or jealous person.

It does still seem to be very much under the radar to the general public at least.

I have been close to buying one a couple of times: once in Nottingham in 2014 and this year in Oxford. Both times the the sales person was quite surprised that I knew a thing or two about them and the one recently mentioned how even most people who come in and look/try one on are not necessarily previously aware of the brand. That said, as above, it's not like the average punter knows much beyond the existence of Rolex/Omega/etc. Can't quite pin down what their target audience is with the current brand ambassadors or if it's just a 'maximum exposure' type thing.

Master

Bought almost 2 years ago the day. Lovely quality and just about perfect size for me.
    That North Flag looks very,very nice on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As has been said already, yes they are for Joe Public, but if their current advertising campaigns pay off, perhaps not for much longer.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I love certain Tudor watches, notably the ETA black bay blue. Reminds me of the old Tudor subs which I love and would love to own ones. Photo of the old sub below and thread I started.

Tudor BBB 79220B - great value for money
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t

I bought the Tudor Ranger a while back which is without doubt the only 100% keeper in my collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    I love certain Tudor watches, notably the ETA black bay blue. Reminds me of the old Tudor subs which I love and would love to own ones. Photo of the old sub below and thread I started.

Tudor BBB 79220B - great value for money
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t

There’s a few B.B. Blue (ETA) available at some Goldsmiths sites around

Master
    Watches in general are under the radar... if you're not swinging it around in everyone's face. I wear a Rolex almost every day (often a bling bling Daytona) and I can count on one hand the number of people who have noticed my watch. It's a tiny object strapped to your wrist - a spot on your body that people don't tend to look at.

So yes, Tudor is under the radar.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Watches in general are under the radar... if you're not swinging it around in everyone's face. I wear a Rolex almost every day (often a bling bling Daytona) and I can count on one hand the number of people who have noticed my watch. It's a tiny object strapped to your wrist - a spot on your body that people don't tend to look at.

So yes, Tudor is under the radar.
    I’d tend to agree, but you do notice people ‘clock’ if you’re wearing an expensive or unusual watch more often these days, although they rarely comment (unless they’re watch aficionados).

Master
    I’d tend to agree, but you do notice people ‘clock’ if you’re wearing an expensive or unusual watch more often these days, although they rarely comment (unless they’re watch aficionados).

I'm fairly aware of my surroundings, in an unfortunate OCD like way sometimes, and I really don't see people noticing. For instance, my daughter had a gymnastics competition this morning and I wore my Daytona. It was under my shirt cuff the vast majority of the time, with the brief appearance here or there for checking the time or happenstance. I'd put the probability of someone noticing it at around zero.

The last time I can recall someone commenting on watch of mine was a student, who was into watches himself. He mentioned my LV while I was using his laptop to log him in to some online simulation. I think if it's not RIGHT in front of someone's face it's really not noticeable. Though, all my watches are SS - so probably a yellow gold and blue Sub would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I'm fairly aware of my surroundings, in an unfortunate OCD like way sometimes, and I really don't see people noticing. For instance, my daughter had a gymnastics competition this morning and I wore my Daytona. It was under my shirt cuff the vast majority of the time, with the brief appearance here or there for checking the time or happenstance. I'd put the probability of someone noticing it at around zero.

The last time I can recall someone commenting on watch of mine was a student, who was into watches himself. He mentioned my LV while I was using his laptop to log him in to some online simulation. I think if it's not RIGHT in front of someone's face it's really not noticeable. Though, all my watches are SS - so probably a yellow gold and blue Sub would be a different story.
    Absolutely, a number of people in the offices wear rose or yellow gold plated watches, which from a few feet away might look like a Patek, Lange or JLC, but are only recogisible when I’m sat at a table with them. The point being I have an interest and actually look to see what watches people are wearing. Most don’t give it a second thought.
    It's just a matter of time...

I wouldn’t think they’re under the radar at all, given the amount of press advertising - if you want under the radar there are plenty of other brands to choose from. Sinn springs to mind but you can peruse this forum for dozens more!!

Craftsman
    I think they are a bit under the radar for the vast majority of the public who buy maybe one watch and make it last for years.
    AD's in my experience always push the "little brother" to Rolex connection but I held back from buying a BB blue and am pleased I did since I bought something that suited me better.
    However,they have a good range,do an in house movement that will attract some people (serviced by RSC,I gather) and I quite like the North Flag but on other people's larger wrists.
    They seem to be in the market to compete with Omega at a lower price and I think the Swatch Group should look over their shoulder and see it.
    Maybe no dress watches yet but the more sporty lines,diver and field,look covered.
    Nice to see them trying as others have said.
    They compete in a very competitive market segment and good luck to them.

Master
    One thing I find amusing is people complaining about the cluttered 5 lines of writing but the Rolex sub has 4 and looks equally as cluttered but no one complains about that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One thing I find amusing is people complaining about the cluttered 5 lines of writing but the Rolex sub has 4 and looks equally as cluttered but no one complains about that.

To my eyes, the Rolex text is less obvious, the Tudor seems bottom heavy and like its perched on top of the 6 marker..

Master
    People do though... I have to say it's never been something I've overly liked; I think my ExpII would have looked much cleaner without the 'superlative' nonsense. I really like my Pelagos, I have an ETA bought to avoid the lines of text, it's a lovely watch. Never worn it on the bracelet as I think it would be too big for me, I can get away with it on the rubber ok.
    I've toyed with buying another Tudor and suspect the Black Bay with date will be next. It was a new model on me, tried it on in Harrods and really liked it.

Master
    The Tudor definitely looks the busier of the two. I don't think they indices shape help etc.

Some will complain some will like it. That's the nature of the hobby. One man's favourite part could be the part that makes the next man dislike it

Craftsman
    I flipped my Pelagos black dial as I thought it was too similar to my ceramic sub.

But it was an awesome watch and wished I still had it.

The blue one is a godsend because it's on my list to obtain and it won't clash.

Master
    I happen to think it does look cluttered but it does not bother me, it’s the fact every review picks up on it when, as I say, the sub is almost as cluttered yet is held up as a masterpiece of design. Frankly both could do with losing some text.

Craftsman
    I tried on the BB blue, BB Chrono and the blue Pelagos yesterday in an AD.

BB Blue (eta version) - this was stunning. Had they of had it on bracelet and not leather I would’ve found it hard to resist. Paying another £600 according to them, seemed a bit over the top in my eyes.

BB Chrono - I felt a little underwhelmed. Can’t put my finger on it. The raised crystal is a nice touch though.

Pelagos - now we’re talking. I weren’t sure if it was going to feel just a tad too big, however on my 7.5inch wrists it seemed perfect. A real piece of quality at a good price. Will be keeping a close eye on SC

Master
    To be honest I think anything that doesn’t have ‘Rolex’ written on the dial is under the radar for 95% of people. Most of the rest have some quite odd ideas, and only the tiny minority that remain know every brand and watch from a hundred paces. Hardly anyone I know has ever heard of Vacheron Constantin, making it a very under the radar choice in theory. On seeing a Royal Oak for the first time, another friend’s response was simply ‘That’s weird!’ I’m not sure what to conclude from this, but probably ‘wear what you like and don’t worry about it’, with the possible exception of Rolex which will be noticed, and old branding Grand Seikos, which were genuinely ‘under the radar’ as preconceptions dictated that they couldn’t possibly cost as much as they did. As for Tudor, people will probably assume it’s exactly what it is - a watch that’s neither cheap nor in Rolex territory, that possibly has something to do with that footballer with the nice hair.

Master
    I agree, it seems that everyone has heard of and wants a Rolex, I am of course being facetious here, but I can give you an example. I am no expert trust me but a friend recently said to me ‘you like watches, I have a bonus coming up and I want to buy one what should I buy’. In essence he had already made his mind up about the brand not knowing anything about them.

I love looking at all of the different brands and what they have to offer - new and older. I also like understanding what it is I am buying and what has gone I to making it. It’s my hobby it’s not his. For the sake of this post I own both Rolex and Tudor. I would love to own both a VC and AP (using the ‘itsguy’ example above) and will, but I am getting around to it whilst owning and enjoying different makes. I have recently purchased a Girard Perregaux, no doubt my pal would have said ‘Gerry who’!

I don’t own two watches of the same brand but that may just be me whilst others may own a dozen Rolex watches, nothing wrong with that, each to their own.

There are always going to be people that jump on the Rolex bandwagon, doesn’t mean those of us that ‘know a bit about watches’ or own a few other brands can’t enjoy them.

Simple Rolex make lovely watches that are in demand, be that advertising or whatever and it seems like Tudor are now doing the same. As such, I can only see them becoming more popular.

In respect of VC & AP - again using the ‘itsguy’ example no other reason than its a good one - I suspect they advertise in different circles and wouldn’t associate themselves with and England footballer and a pop star. Maybe they don’t want those sort of people wearing their watches.

I was once told by my local AD you can have interest free credit on any watch brand in the store except Rolex (I didn’t want it or ask for it). I asked why and his response was that ‘Rolex think if you have to lend the money to buy one you they don’t want you wearing it’.

Funny old world.

PS - if anyone has a Vacheron Constantin Overseas Calibre 5100 SS silver toned dial they are getting bored of let me know.

Fred

Mine was a bit of an impulse buy but I had been keeping an eye on them for a while. The new in house movement was the final straw that broke the wallets back. Agree blue and red accents would help lift sales, yellow is a Marmite colour.

I surprised, now it's been out for a few years, that we haven't seen a few more accents.

Blog Entries
    They are a bit under the radar for me. Some are too similar to Rolex for my liking in looks. And I don't get the 'nearly a Rolex' thing, I wish I did.

Anyway having seen some of the other models on here I do like the look of them so perhaps I need to pay them more attention.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 5th December 2017 at 12:00. Reason: sprling

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post

BB Blue (eta version) - this was stunning. Had they of had it on bracelet and not leather I would’ve found it hard to resist. Paying another £600 according to them, seemed a bit over the top in my eyes.

Preston’s in Wilmslow currently have a BB Blue (ETA Version) on a Bracelet available if you’re still interested