closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are people dumping the Seiko SLA017?

I presumed the price came about when Seiko realised that a LE reissue of that model would immediately leap up in price, and they decided that they would rather have the money than let the parasites get their teeth stuck in. Hard to complain about that.

As it is, they sold them, and now anyone who wants one can get one and enjoy it, without being distracted by how much they could make by flipping it. Similarly unproblematic.

As for their being moved on, it does seem a watch more likely to inspire admiration than fondness, and they tend to do the rounds, no?

Master
    Blog Entries

Why are people dumping the Seiko SLA017?

Great watch, greatly overpriced. I would rather have a second hand GS and a PRS-82.

Don’t get me wrong it’s lovely, but not at that price point.
    Last edited by Middo; 2nd December 2017 at 11:42.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Have you been drinking before breakfast again, Ryan?

Leaving aside the fact that they put an el-cheapo movement in it, how is this in any way comparable to a Sub? The price is a piss-take.
    Well, the el-cheapo movement isn’t exactly accurate. They had a huge range of cheap movements to choose from, if that’s what they wanted, but they decided to use probably their most expensive auto 3 hander for the Seiko range.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Well, the el-cheapo movement isn’t exactly accurate. They had a huge range of cheap movements to choose from, if that’s what they wanted, but they decided to use probably their most expensive auto 3 hander for the Seiko range.
    I don't think you'd find many people suggesting that the 8L35 is comparable to Rolex's 3135.

As for the case, it looks about as unrefined as a case can possibly be, no? In fact, it looks like it's just about ready to go into the workshop for finishing. (In fact, the indices aren't exactly examples of extreme artisanship either, are they?)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How much was the 62mas when it was released?

I don't pretend to know anything about these bar observing the forum fever but to me it flies so far under the radar that it looks like a cheap old Seiko diver.
    I do understand the draw of stealth but personally I'd still want a watch that looks and feels like the amount id spent on it, even if nobody else knows what it is. Looking at it I feel that this lacks that. Which is perhaps why it's not lasting. Bit emperors new clothes.

Apologies for being an amateur eye on the situation but that's how it looks to an uninvested observer.

Journeyman

Why are people dumping the Seiko SLA017?

Left : priced fairly , fantastic build quality, great movement.

Centre : fantastic price, stylish and adaptable, great build quality, average movement

Right : just added straight from Japan JDM version (SBDX019 with first sub 500 serials saved for the domestic market). overpriced but gorgeous finish, emotional attachment (priceless). Perfect size with adaptable refinement for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don't think you'd find many people suggesting that the 8L35 is comparable to Rolex's 3135.

Im not defending it Tony.

But...

As for the case, it looks about as unrefined as a case can possibly be, no? In fact, it looks like it's just about ready to go into the workshop for finishing. (In fact, the indices aren't exactly examples of extreme artisanship either, are they?)
    Some/lots of people rate the movement very highly, and say the additional finishing of the GS movements adds nothing. Personally, the movement does nothing for me.

Case finishing on mine looks absolutely fine, and as intended.

The indices are a different world to the MM300, but maybe not to other standards. Let’s say that GS is aiming at Rolex, and Seiko is... not.

It’s 50% of the price of a Sub Date!

It is a bloody good watch, and imho looks fantastic. When people are paying 800-1000+ for lower end LE Seiko divers I think it’s not a million miles away price wise.

I liked the pics when it was first put up on the forum. I thought 2k would be a good price, but then the actual prices were released - at that point I hadn’t held one. But it is way and above the MM300, and the price difference between them is justified imo.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 2nd December 2017 at 12:25.

Some/lots of people rate the movement very highly, and say the additional finishing of the GS movements adds nothing. Personally, the movement does nothing for me.

The indices are a different world to the MM300, but maybe not to other standards. Let’s say that GS is aiming at Rolex, and Seiko is... not.

It is a bloody good watch, and imho looks fantastic. When people are paying 800-1000+ for lower end LE Seiko divers I think it’s not a million miles away price wise.
    Well, it wasn't me that made the comparison, Scott - I just responded.

It seems we agree on the movement, pretty much. I can't agree with you about the case - yes, it's brushed and has nice sharp edges, but it's about as utilitarian a design as one could possibly come up with, and has nothing by way of finishing that would make anyone stop even momentarily and think "god, that's quality". It's a slab-sided piece of steel.

I'd take a MM300 over this 100 times out of 100. In fact, the 017 would need to be a fair bit cheaper than the MM300 to get a look-in.

Master

Question

I get people saying the applied logo (or lack of) and rounded indices are a design choice rather than penny pinching but...

If there was a poll before its release asking the online community if they should release it with the same style indices as the original and an applied Seiko logo OR a printed logo and rounded indices. How many people would have ticked the printed logo and rounded indice's box?

I know if it was released with those two points like the 62MAS I'd have been dumping most of my watches and scrambling for one to go with my original.

Well, it wasn't me that made the comparison, Scott - I just responded.

It seems we agree on the movement, pretty much. I can't agree with you about the case - yes, it's brushed and has nice sharp edges, but it's about as utilitarian a design as one could possibly come up with, and has nothing by way of finishing that would make anyone stop even momentarily and think "god, that's quality". It's a slab-sided piece of steel.

I'd take a MM300 over this 100 times out of 100. In fact, the 017 would need to be a fair bit cheaper than the MM300 to get a look-in.
    I know.

The case though, I am sure you have seen the original - not much you can do there.

I have both side by side here, and they are very different, but the MM300 looks to be a cheaper line in comparison to me. I still absolutely love the dial layout of the MM300 and it’s one of the best I’ve seen.

For those that want a bit more modern, with elements of the original at a more sensible price, as ever Seiko also have that covered. But then I’m sure people would be looking more closely at a comprison of a like new MM300 for a few hundred more.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...h-diver-spb051

Red face

Grand Seiko has easily surpassed Rolex in terms of finishing of the case, dial and indices. Just look at side-by-side macro scans and the Rolex looks almost utilitarian in comparison (including movement finishing).

I liked the pics when it was first put up on the forum. I thought 2k would be a good price, but then the actual prices were released - at that point I hadn’t held one. But it is way and above the MM300, and the price difference between them is justified imo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Grand Seiko has easily surpassed Rolex in terms of finishing of the case, dial and indices. Just look at side-by-side macro scans and the Rolex looks almost utilitarian in comparison (including movement finishing).
    I was specifically addressing the marketing of the brand. Rolex movements are considered utilitarian, or rather the perfect blend of utility, durability, dependability and acceptable finish, always have been.

No GS I’ve owned sums up your easily surpassed statement for me. In fact, the use of plated indices instead of white gold strikes me as somewhat behind the curve, maybe they can make the plating more shiny.

If I was being less appreciative of GS, I’d have remembered to include that with all that ability they still can’t make a decent clasp.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 2nd December 2017 at 13:36.

I was specifically addressing the marketing of the brand. Rolex movements are considered utilitarian, or rather the perfect blend of utility, durability, dependability and acceptable finish, always have been.

No GS I’ve owned sums up your easily surpassed statement for me. In fact, the use of plated indices instead of white gold strikes me as somewhat behind the curve, maybe they can make the plating more shiny.

If I was being less appreciative of GS, I’d have remembered to include that with all that ability they still can’t make a decent clasp.
    Nail, head.

Red face

...O.k.....so APART from plated indices and a dodgy clasp they're better. ;)

Nail, head.

I am lucky enough to have a fair few vintage Seiko divers (7C46-7009, 7C43-700A, 6159-7010 & 6159-7001), modern Seiko divers (SBDJ015, SBDC049 & SNE435), and 'recreations' (SBDX012 & SRPA21).... some limited editions, some not...

My point is that I am really drawn to this type of watch and from this brand in particular, but it somehow misses the mark for me.

In truth, I just don't like the look of the SLA017. I wish I liked the 62MAS and I wish I liked the SLA017... but I just don't, sadly. I think it may be a bit Marmite.
    Last edited by danmiddle2; 2nd December 2017 at 14:00.

...O.k.....so APART from plated indices and a dodgy clasp they're better. ;)
    Being more sympathetic to Seiko, I would say apart from that (and maybe a few other points personal to specific models and owner preference) that they are comparable.

The bottom line is, if they make a model you like the look of, then fair enough. But most GS are just plain awful for me, or ruined be a simple addition like a power reserve or other feature I just couldn’t live with.

In fact thinking about it in more detail today, I really think I’m 90% on just selling every Seiko related watch I currently own, as I find the brand(s) as a whole just too damn frustrating. Just the Seiko brand alone seems to target what every brand in the Swatch stable combined tries to capture. I feel I need to stick to the brands that don’t leave me feeling a little disappointment, albeit in some small areas, but disappointment nonetheless.

I actually do like the look & design of the SLA017 quite a lot (it's a vintage reissue so has to copy the design of the original) - I just wish Seiko had executed it properly!

Now if GS makes an automatic (not spring-drive) diver in 40/41mm - THAT would be something. No idea why they chose to make the over-sized monstrosities that they have. :(

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    I am lucky enough to have a fair few vintage Seiko divers (7C46-7009, 7C43-700A, 6159-7010 & 6159-7001), modern Seiko divers (SBDJ015, SBDC049 & SNE435), and 'recreations' (SBDX012 & SRPA21).... some limited editions, some not...

My point is that I am really drawn to this type of watch and from this brand in particular, but it somehow misses the mark for me.

In truth, I just don't like the look of the SLA017. I wish I liked the 62MAS and I wish I liked the SLA017... but I just don't, sadly. I think it may be a bit Marmite.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s how a good tool sports Rolex should be, less of the bling and a sensible yet still premium price imho.

Master
    The problem, if there is one, is the limited run. Presumably that means they have to recoup all the design, manufacturing and marketing costs of creating a new model over a short run, which will hugely push up the price. In return you get exclusivity, but that may not sit well with the Seiko branding. With larger quantities, you’d think they could make a watch that’s very close in quality for a good deal less. The casual observer, with no knowledge of the original, or the hype around the re-issue, might assume that’s exactly what it is. In fact, the similar SPB053 is €900 and can be found online for a little over £600, the main difference being the larger size and slightly different design details, which unfortunately make it less appealing, which is frustrating.

I guess they’ve concluded that a reissue of a 60s classic is a pretty niche interest for fans of the brand, and they may be right, but they’ll probably remain sought after used watches once they’re no longer available. GS seem to have done well with their lusted-after historical reissues, so they may be testing the water with pricey Seiko branded classics. But in this case they can’t differentiate the branding, they can only upgrade the execution. In terms of them turning up used though, that could just be the usual flipperitis of one hot new model for the next, combined with the inevitable first owner depreciation of most brands - very few are immune. It doesn’t imply anything wrong with the watch, beyond the necessity of reminding yourself it’s exclusive when you remember how much you paid for it.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 3rd December 2017 at 11:55.

Well put.

Here is an example of my frustration with GS - as you can see an excellent understated alternative to something like a Daytona, ahem!

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...dition-sbgc219

Master
    Well put.

Here is an example of my frustration with GS - as you can see an excellent understated alternative to something like a Daytona, ahem!

Wow, that's awful. Seiko do have a history of producing horrible renders of their watches rather than expertly taken actual pics... although I don't think in this case there's much hope with that one looking better in the metal!

I actually do like the look & design of the SLA017 quite a lot (it's a vintage reissue so has to copy the design of the original) - I just wish Seiko had executed it properly!

Now if GS makes an automatic (not spring-drive) diver in 40/41mm - THAT would be something. No idea why they chose to make the over-sized monstrosities that they have. :(
    I have a GS SBGA031 diver too, and I think it's the perfect size. That said, I am a little above average in size at 6ft5 and 120kg's... so that may compensate for the size of it. The detail is just exceptional, and I love the spring drive movement too.

I keep getting tempted with the SBEX001 at the moment, I just don't like the way the end links look screwed down.

Well put.

Yep, that is the second worst looking Seiko I have seen lately, the other being the Zimbe limited edition Sumo. If you don't know what it looks like then please save yourself and don't google it.

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    Yep, that is the second worst looking Seiko I have seen lately, the other being the Zimbe limited edition Sumo. If you don't know what it looks like then please save yourself and don't google it.
    Good grief. That's, errr... well, I don't know what it is.

Good grief. That's, errr... well, I don't know what it is.
    Don't say I didn't warn you!

62MAS, I think is one of the most hyped up and overrated cheap, rattly Seikos out there at the moment and imo. Great history and a Daini version looks nicer for me, unless in near mint condition they just age terribly.

The sla017, dull as dishwater made up for by its crystal. Grossly overpriced and a big f u to Seiko fans, again, imo.

Here is a pic of the dial outside the crystal that seems to do most of the work in making these look half decent.

Pic by TheTigerUK.

Have to agree with Tony and C in what they say. The case particularly just looks square and with a decent brushed finish. Not much to write home about, for me.

For those that enjoy it, great, but I can't help but think it's a watch for people who don't really care that much about the 62MAS, but more enjoy the feeling of belonging to an exclusive club for its scarcity. Not surprised people are dumping them if they are as it symbolises a change in Seiko that for me I have no admiration for. I only hope they learn their lesson and release a more fitting homage to the 6105 or 6159 in future (would rather they didn't based on this venture) with a price tag that doesn't make me cringe. Apologies for my harsh criticism, but I really can't stand them.

Thumbs up

Exactly my issue with the SLA017 - what a piece of cr@p that dial is. Seiko should be totally embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    62MAS, I think is one of the most hyped up and overrated cheap, rattly Seikos out there at the moment and imo. Great history and a Daini version looks nicer for me, unless in near mint condition they just age terribly.

The sla017, dull as dishwater made up for by its crystal. Grossly overpriced and a big f u to Seiko fans, again, imo.

Here is a pic of the dial outside the crystal that seems to do most of the work in making these look half decent.

Pic by TheTigerUK.

Have to agree with Tony and C in what they say. The case particularly just looks square and with a decent brushed finish. Not much to write home about, for me.

For those that enjoy it, great, but I can't help but think it's a watch for people who don't really care that much about the 62MAS, but more enjoy the feeling of belonging to an exclusive club for its scarcity. Not surprised people are dumping them if they are as it symbolises a change in Seiko that for me I have no admiration for. I only hope they learn their lesson and release a more fitting homage to the 6105 or 6159 in future (would rather they didn't based on this venture) with a price tag that doesn't make me cringe. Apologies for my harsh criticism, but I really can't stand them.

Master
    But most GS are just plain awful for me, or ruined be a simple addition like a power reserve or other feature I just couldn’t live with.
    GS, and Seiko more generally, are a few solid designers away from being great. Too bad they're doing everything imaginable to try to lose all budget-mindedness from GS. A dress GS is never going to appeal like a Patek and I'm not sure why they think they can play at that level.

Craftsman
    Well Seiko has definately produced a watch that has a controversial side! I think we were stitched up by Seiko UK price wise. I don't think the dial photo a couple of posts up does it justice, it looks like its a poor quality photo at best.

However,

I don't want to belong to a particular "club", I don't care that it cost more than I should spend, I don't care that it looks cheap. I love it for what it is and, for me anyway, that is the reason to have one. Funny old business this watch lark.

At least they aren't getting shifted because of a similar, much cheaper, model next year...........I hope!

Craftsman
    Back to why people are dumping them....
    They're just finding their way into the right hands. Once they do, we'll rarely see them come up for sale. Just my opinion.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Have you been drinking before breakfast again, Ryan?

Leaving aside the fact that they put an el-cheapo movement in it, how is this in any way comparable to a Sub? The price is a piss-take.

Hey Tony. My analysis was based on being an owner of both and doing direct comparison. Sub has better bezel and bracelet, SLA is IMHO superior elsewhere. On the fence about the movement except my SLA 017 gets 82 hours P/R.

To be fair the Sub's not the ideal comparison point for quality - heck Rolex can't even get their bezels aligned correctly so I'd say the SLA 017 is perhaps a notch below a Planet Ocean, certainly several notches behind a GS, similar/slightly above a Tudor, that kind of thing. But there is a marked difference in quality between the SLA017 and the MM300.

I think unless you have handled one it's hard to gauge. Photos simply don't do it justice. The dial certainly isn't poor quality lol as per an earlier comment. IMHO the RRP is justified
    Last edited by ryanb741; 3rd December 2017 at 11:56.

Blog Entries
    I really wanted one of these until I saw the dial picture.

Hopefully in another few months they will drop to a more realistic £2k price point.

The sell-off continues in the meantime.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully in another few months they will drop to a more realistic £2k price point.

The sell-off continues in the meantime.
    I like it,where is the sell off?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I like it,where is the sell off?

Theres one on the SC now

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Theres one on the SC now

Thank you,I thought it was a flood by the way he said it and dealers where getting rid of stock.

Master
    For me, the original RRP was simply too much. When it was first announced, I was interested enough to call several dealers but none had a price at that point. I was sure I would order, but then a dealer got back to me with the price and I thought I'd heard wrong. It felt like Seiko were taking the Michael and jumping on the same bandwagon as some other brands. They just don't hold such high regard in my mind; I love their <£500 models but find it very hard to like anything more than that.

Grand Master
    What must be taken into account,there were only 2000 issued,disregard what people's opinions are in terms of price and build etc etc,over time they will sell for more than the initial selling price.
    The one on sc is now the lowest seen and may in fact go for less,making it a great buy and even better long term investment that may have that buyer hang onto it,and when that happens and people hold onto them you will see prices start to increase once you see them for sale less often in the future.......IMO.

How many 14060's are there worldwide......look how much they go for if you bought in the last couple of years!.So a LE of only 2000 for a very well liked Seiko re-edition is sure to fare well.....again only IMO.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 15th December 2017 at 12:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    How many 14060's are there worldwide......look how much they go for if you bought in the last couple of years!.So a LE of only 2000 for a very well liked Seiko re-edition is sure to fare well.....again only IMO.
    I personally don't think any brand other than some offerings from Patek compete with the likes of Rolex for values, so I just don't see how it's comparable.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I personally don't think any brand other than some offerings from Patek compete with the likes of Rolex for values, so I just don't see how it's comparable.
    It was more about how many of the two brands have been made rather than a direct comparison of the two brands as watches per say.

And anything and everything discussed is pure opinion anyway.

Time will only reveal what will unfold.

Master
    Blog Entries
    How much is it going for?

My IWC is one of 1945 I doubt it will increase in value anytime soon,if at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    It was more about how many of the two brands have been made rather than a direct comparison of the two brands as watches per say.

And anything and everything discussed is pure opinion anyway.

Time will only reveal what will unfold.
    No I totally get it was about numbers etc, but I have an Evant which is one of 300. That doesn't mean it's going to be worth several times its price any time soon, and that's far more unique than most limited edition watches out there.

For many, Seiko are seen as a cheaper watch brand, and I don't want to come across as a snob or anything there. It's a simple fact that for many years, Seiko were mostly around £70-200 or so, but then they started increasing, and now we have them asking £3600 for what is a very standard watch, that just looks like an original. Casio have tried this with some of their G-Shocks and some models to better than others, but there's probably very few re-editions for more than £1000 from them. £3600 is in much different territory.

I think Ryan's price makes a lot more sense without a doubt, and it's the only way you'll get one as cheap as that right now. I was just saying the RRP was what put me off buying one new.

We will see in the next 5 years what happens price wise.

Seiko limited editions of its better built/engined watches is only just starting to get more recognition, in the same way the GS is branching out in new territories.

I like the look of this watch. I prefer it to a 114060 - but that's me (I don't think it's built anywhere near as well, but it's 50%-60% of the price). Others will have their own view.

It's a nice watch. If you like it, want one, can afford it justify one then buy one; if not don't bother - simples

It's a slab-sided piece of steel.

To be fair, that's what I think every time i see the black bay case. Still think they are a nice watch though.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    It's a nice watch. If you like it, want one, can afford it justify one then buy one; if not don't bother - simples
    Now come on Scott, you know that's not the TZ mantra

Grand Master
    It would be interesting to know how Seiko arrived at that RRP,did they have people out there well in advance of the likes of us ever having a spark of a reissue.
    Did they just assume a low edition of only 2k in the world of watches for ourselves and likeminded on other forums AND avid Seiko collectors was a price they'd feel comfortable at!.
    The facts are they have sold at there RRP so they were correct there,some say too high,what if it had been even higher!,I guess some would have still bought!.
    If someone wanted the original in mint condition,then what would they have to pay?,I did a deal recently with a dealer who did have a mint one that his Granddad bought new,as an AD he said were he to ever sell he'd want £3000 now,but went on to say he wouldn't for sentimental reasons.So this watch is the only way anyone like myself wanting one of these is to buy this newer LE.As originals become harder and more expensive to come by perhaps this will see the LE slowly increase in price.Only another look on how time will see things unfold.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    One of the problems I think these days is people are buying these watches with too much focus on price/depreciation/appreciation

Years ago when the original came out I doubt very much whether people were buying it on the hope it'd hold or make money.

I'd imagine the flippers are those that are concerned about the residuals more than actually wanting a watch they want. If the internet didn't exist none of this buying and flipping would be going on. When I bought a watch years ago (before the net) I'd be buying it to keep and still have some to this day. Now it's so easy to flip a watch and you can risk a purchase you're not 100% you love.

Think that's the 3rd SLA in a week on SC? Between £2650-£2850.
    Spot on, there have been occasions many years ago buying, not being a 100% sure I had done the right thing and finding it later and loving it. The internet has given us a safety net without a doubt.

Master
    I had one and really liked it - it's a great watch and I liked that it is only recognised by Seiko 'nerds' or fan boys.. I did not buy it as an investment - just bought it 'cos I liked the glossy dial and the hands and indices.. Plus the lume is like a torch!
    I got it from here at a good price and I was happy to let it go for slightly less than I paid. Only sold it because I wanted to put the money towards something else and maybe, for me anyway, having too much money tied up in watches.. Plus it went to someone on the forum who really wanted one and I think he will appreciate it.. Win win really as they say..

Apprentice
    A great watch, sla017 hands are available from "seikoparts" for the stock 62mas updates (spb051, spb053). There are images on the web somewhere ...

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I sold mine after a few months. The sunburst was waaay to extreme for my taste and the lack of applied logo really annoyed me.
    + Diashield can't be polished and that irritated me.