closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are people dumping the Seiko SLA017?

Craftsman

Why are people dumping the Seiko SLA017?

There seems to be an exodus going on. There have been a considerable number of Seiko SLA017 getting moved on recently, and not far off £1k under UK RRP.

I know it is stupidly expensive for what it is, but the dial/crystal are worth it to me. Do people know something that is on the horizon?

I really rate mine and it will be with me for a good while to come, depending on what comes out on here!

Looking forward to the collective thoughts on this.

Master
    'Dumped' mine last week, immediately regretted it and bought another on Wednesday (not for the first time either as you well know)!

I think people are selling because it's just an awful watch ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Because it looks like something that could be found in an Argos catalogue ?

I’d probably think about buying one for ~£1k though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had to google you mean this one?

https://www.fratellowatches.com/seiko-sla017-diver/

I think that’s stunning.

Master
    I’d gladly have another - sold mine for no good reason as normal :(

I must admit I was only joking in my first post, having recently bought one myself :)

It's a stunning watch. But if you look at the trajectory of a lot of Ltd Edition Grand Seikos (I know this is not a GS but I believe the trajectory will be similar) you get the initial RRP rush of buyers, then a few get sold off at the same time. Supply vs demand means prices around 30% off RRP. But then 2 years later when more people become aware of it pricing ends up around 20% above original RRP.

BTW we are seeing similar (although not selling below RRP) with the Speedy Tuesday. Anyone in the know realises that's going to be a £6-7k forum sell all day long in a couple of years but because quite a few flipping at the same time current pricing is depressed.

So that SLA17 on SC should be viewed as free money for anyone happy to wait for a couple of years. Or, as I hope, if someone realises it's a stunning watch and wants to wear it then that's a low price point that won't be realised in the future so it's the best chance to get one before they become silly money

Master
    The one on SC surprisingly still not snapped up! If I didn't have 3 Seikos, I'll be seriously interested in grabbing it - heritage/finish is what makes this watch special for me.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    A superb watch,I bought one then bought another of sc which was substantially lower in price than the first!.

When others come up for sale buyers will sit and watch the seller slowly chip away at his full asking price,if that starts to happen,setting a new price,having said that Id best not say what I paid for my 2nd one 😉

Craftsman
    It's not everybody's cup of tea, especially at a price point that competes against some very good options.

These limited runs will eventually stop shifting hands as they find their way to their happy owners.

Once the units stop exchanging hands, I expect the prices will drive up.

Only 200m water resistance?!

Any fule no’s it can’t be a dive watch then.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I'm not convinced this is a safe bet price wise in years to come in the way the ST probably is. Seiko bridge the gap between GS and S as it is, the rrp for this over reached that and the LE exclusivity to my mind hence the fall in 2nd hand prices. How many reissues cost more than an original?
    That said it's in my 40mm sweet spot so I'm likely going to be tempted if prices soften much further.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I'm not convinced this is a safe bet price wise in years to come in the way the ST probably is. Seiko bridge the gap between GS and S as it is, the rrp for this over reached that and the LE exclusivity to my mind hence the fall in 2nd hand prices. How many reissues cost more than an original?
    That said it's in my 40mm sweet spot so I'm likely going to be tempted if prices soften much further.
    The only certainty with regards to whether prices go up/down in the future,is that no one can can ever know......they can have an opinion on what THEY think might be the outcome,if a poll of 100 people went 50/50,50 would feel smug if higher,the other 50 might have wished they'd bought.

No one knows is 1 answer...the other,who cares,because it's such a dirty word on here buying as an investment!,but damn do I wish I'd have been collecting watches 20 years ago seeing prices of some watches now.

Master
    One of the problems I think these days is people are buying these watches with too much focus on price/depreciation/appreciation

Years ago when the original came out I doubt very much whether people were buying it on the hope it'd hold or make money.

I'd imagine the flippers are those that are concerned about the residuals more than actually wanting a watch they want. If the internet didn't exist none of this buying and flipping would be going on. When I bought a watch years ago (before the net) I'd be buying it to keep and still have some to this day. Now it's so easy to flip a watch and you can risk a purchase you're not 100% you love.

Think that's the 3rd SLA in a week on SC? Between £2650-£2850.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    ....but damn do I wish I'd have been collecting watches 20 years ago seeing prices of some watches now.
    Some watches and some shares, property, art etc!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I put it down to some confused branding - in a year that introduced Grand Seiko as its own brand, Seiko release a 'normal' Seiko with a close to Grand Seiko price.

Anyone want to comment on how finishing of the watch is in comparison to say the Grand Seiko diver?

Master
    I think they’re really great looking watches, but they are priced very strongly. GS have just had to change their logo and become a (theoretically) separate brand because of the perceived clash of a logo on an expensive watch, that also appears on cheaper watches. Once the hype wears off and it’s no longer in glossy pictures everywhere it may also suffer from this kind of identity crisis due to the price and branding. I can imagine some people feeling that they’ve bought a very expensive Seiko in the heat of the moment, that they know is super cool but not everyone else will. Meanwhile potential used buyers are thinking they’d love one, at the right price. That said, it’s just such a great classic design, if quantities are limited it should hold up in the long run and age well. If only GS divers were as appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I put it down to some confused branding - in a year that introduced Grand Seiko as its own brand, Seiko release a 'normal' Seiko with a close to Grand Seiko price.

Anyone want to comment on how finishing of the watch is in comparison to say the Grand Seiko diver?
    EDIT - and just saw your post saying basically the same thing more succinctly!

Grand Master
    Wish someone would tell the reviewer the difference between silicon and silicone. No-one would make a strap out of silicon!

As for the watch, it’s nice but expensive.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

Lets ignore the movement comparison here,when I opened the box and handled the watch it truly does feel high quality.

I like it.

Oh and has been said above with regards to watches bought years ago when first released,I bet none were cherished as much as watches are today,and by that I mean people like us and others on likewise watch forums,I doubt few bought as a future investment and popped in the safe,if Joe public even had safes back then!.They were bought,worn,and I'd go as far to say worn til they stopped and thrown in drawer and bought another,doubt the trend of a service every few years or so was marketed as strong as it is today with better materials perhaps used today too!.
    We only know now what we wish our Dad or Grand-dad had thrown in the drawer.

Master

Let's be brutally honest chaps, it's over priced. They've managed to sell them off the back of the original's hype.

And before anyone jumps on me I know they're a nice watch but imagine the watch was released as a totally different looking model but with the same features and no reference to the 62MAS. How much would it be? People would be laughing at a £3750 price tag.

You can pick up a MM300 with the same movement for £2000 less. Is it really worth that much more than a MM?

The argument against that I always see is the SLA has a sapphire (which probably costs Seiko £5 to make)

But the same could be said for most 'premium' watches these days so who can blame Seiko! They've certainly capitalised on the Seiko bubble and played a blinder. Get the premium price and catch the eye of a different demographic coupled with a Hodinkee feature and boom, kerrrching!

With regards to the MM300 - there is a case to be made for a higher price due to the limited nature of the watch as well as a 'proper' recreation of an older model. Movement is only part of the story.

I like the watch but I never gelled with the MM300 so I'm not sure I'd get on with this one, plus the higher price ends up being a barrier for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    One of the problems I think these days is people are buying these watches with too much focus on price/depreciation/appreciation

Years ago when the original came out I doubt very much whether people were buying it on the hope it'd hold or make money.

I'd imagine the flippers are those that are concerned about the residuals more than actually wanting a watch they want. If the internet didn't exist none of this buying and flipping would be going on. When I bought a watch years ago (before the net) I'd be buying it to keep and still have some to this day. Now it's so easy to flip a watch and you can risk a purchase you're not 100% you love.

Think that's the 3rd SLA in a week on SC? Between £2650-£2850.
    You have it right if you didn’t worry about reselling you would just wear your watch.
    It’s a lovely watch if I buy one then I will it buy it to wear same as I did with my IWC Pilot.
    I know it won’t appreciate in value so I just wear it,almost non stop since I came back from Munich.
    I cant see SC so those and the Bremont I heard mention of I can’t be tempted by.

Grand Master
    Best to revisit this in several years then........THE END.

I’ve seen these in the flesh at an AD in Norwich (!?) and was struck initially by just how small they look. That’s not a criticism, but surrounded by other Seiko divers they look positively minuscule. I was loving the retro look and noticed the very non retro price, at that kind of money I wouldn’t consider one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Maybe this discussion will have people hold off buying off sc reading people's "opinions".If that's the case,then those people aren't buying because they like the watch,rather they arent buying because some think it's overpriced and unlikely to see it as a good investment.......argggg shock horror!!.

That nasty word again.....Investment!.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 1st December 2017 at 14:08.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Maybe this discussion will have people hold off buying off sc reading people's "opinions".If that's the case,then those people aren't buying because they like the watch,rather they arent buying because some think it's overpriced and unlikely to see it as a good investment.......argggg shock horror!!.

That nasty word again.....Investment!.
    I think that is a valid point, I was hoping to steer it in respects to branding and positioning relative to other divers. But with prices nowadays it is what it is.

Master
    Let's be brutally honest chaps, it's over priced. They've managed to sell them off the back of the original's hype.

And before anyone jumps on me I know they're a nice watch but imagine the watch was released as a totally different looking model but with the same features and no reference to the 62MAS. How much would it be? People would be laughing at a £3750 price tag.

You can pick up a MM300 with the same movement for £2000 less. Is it really worth that much more than a MM?
    My thoughts exactly. The case shape is very basic and that's fine as it's being honest to the original, but to then ask over twice what a MM300 costs? Madness.

Then there's the dial. I know people rave about it and how the sunburst pattern looks all kinds of awesome under the domed sapphire, but check out the lume plots on this. If that dial was on a 7s26 powered watch retailing at £200 it might be acceptable, but on something commanding a GS price? I don't think so.

The argument against that I always see is the SLA has a sapphire (which probably costs Seiko £5 to make)

But the same could be said for most 'premium' watches these days so who can blame Seiko! They've certainly capitalised on the Seiko bubble and played a blinder. Get the premium price and catch the eye of a different demographic coupled with a Hodinkee feature and boom, kerrrching!
    So let's get this straight-

Expensive watches are expensive

If it was another watch, it wouldn't be worth the same as this one.

Mmm kay....
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

This is the point for me. I’d love one but it doesn’t offer enough over the MM300 for the significant increase in price. It’s a £1500 watch.

Why are people dumping the Seiko SLA017?

£2k RRP non-limited and it would have sold by the bucket load IMO.

I love everything about it. Seiko really nailed it with this release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also bought my SLA017 at discount, but would have paid more if they made it a tad smaller. Would honestly pay £4000 + for 37x13mm, brushed case and rehaut.

I have heard the bracelet is poor quality on this watch, can anyone confirm? Its something that has put me off but might be rubbish :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    So let's get this straight-

Expensive watches are expensive

If it was another watch, it wouldn't be worth the same as this one.

Mmm kay....

My point was... if it was not a 62MAS tribute but still a Seiko would it be £3750? If you think it's a fair price it's fine, we are all entitled to our opinions.

I love my Seiko's but it's still a Seiko with a few nice touches and frustratingly a couple of key elements of the original they changed for the worse. It's not like it's a few hundred more than its closest team mate it's £2000 more. That price is about what they could get away with due to the hype and buzz around the original & it's re-release IMO. Fair play to them I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I have heard the bracelet is poor quality on this watch, can anyone confirm? Its something that has put me off but might be rubbish :)
    I never tried mine. Nor the silicone strap.

Craftsman
    I like the look. I like the nostalgia. I like the look in the flesh. I like that it is 40mm, but I found it wears long lug to lug and did not suit my small wrists as much as say an SKX does.

So, ultimately I passed and I carry on searching for smallish diver that is a little slimmer than the skx.

Pricing is, well, high for "just a Seiko" and yes that obviously ignores how it is finished or the movement etc etc.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Having tried yours on mate i don't know why they are being moved on if people are prepared to pay the price.

Yes it is too much money but there is nothing wrong with the quality of the watch.

If they ever get down to 1k i would consider it but i'll stick with my MM300 for now and probably forever.

Master
    No idea why people are dumping them but it is a fantastic looking watch which would go nicely under the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Excellent quality links and end links. The clasp is also substantially better than the MM300.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Excellent quality links and end links. The clasp is also substantially better than the MM300.
    Is it true end links will leave marks in between the lugs? Is it a tight enough fit? Cheers

No idea, never fitted the bracelet.

Master
    It's too be expected. The watch is great, but was bought by many due to forum fever. That sort of feeding frenzy always results in a glut.

The ezm1.1 is probably the next one.

Craftsman
    It's a nice watch and a reasonable size for a diver but I would jib at the price new.
    I'm not too convinced by the concept of limited editions for watches but each to their own.

For me, no.
    I like the look of the SLA017 and that it is a recreation of the 62MAS but, if I had one, I reckon I'd wear my SBDX017 significantly more. I'd get the SLA017 out and look at it a lot though.
    In a completely hypothetical situation of owning to wear and not being allowed to sell on, I wouldn't swap my MM300 for the SLA017 never mind pay extra for it.

Having said that:
    1) I've never handled the SLA017
    2) The MM300 is that much nicer when you actually handle one so, if the same is true of the SLA017, that may change things
    3) None of this really answers whether or why people are dumping the SLA017

All I will add is that as an owner I think it's easily worth asking price. Much of it is based on how it looks.

're an earlier question comparing fit and finish to a GS - no the GS is better but the SLA17 is higher quality than the MM300. Quality wise I'd put it on par overall with a Rolex Sub - worse bracelet for sure (although most people wear on strap), better dial, indice and hand finishing than the Sub, nicer case construction than sub plus it has diashock, Sub has better ceramic bezel.

So the quality is there for sure and it's a step above mm300

Thumbs up

I've been very tempted but this watch is over-priced for what it is. There are still quite a few for sale at EU dealers who are trying to offload at £2,800 (I know as I contacted a couple in Germany through Chrono 24).

If it's quality of finish (case/ dial / lume) were almost on a par with Grand Seiko, then fine - but it's not. The 'SEIKO' on the dial should have been applied (as on the original) and NOT PRINTED. No excuse for that - penny pinching. The fitted strap is fairly basic and a lint magnet. Then there's the cheap Chinese bracelet included as an after-thought.

I really can't see this model ever being an 'investment' piece.

You should (with the right discount) be able to recover most cost in the future.

I don’t think it’s worth comparing to the MM300. They may share a movement, but then so will the cheapest of a model range to the most expensive if a model range in 3 handers of most brands, including Rolex (albeit the current move to an updated movement) and Patek in the 324S.

The MM300 has flaws. I’ve said many times that I’d prefer to pay or for a better finished MM300. I’m not going to do another hatchet job on the MM300, Imjust wish the update addressed my issues of the previous model, but I havent worn mine (my 4th now) out of the house. The SLA is much much better finished. It is not however Rolex Sub level. There are a lot of nods to vintage in the watch, in the case, the dial and the bezel. The big crown being one of my favourite bits. The watch is however much smaller, and is a stylised thoroughly updated reissue.

At a little under a true 40mm, it’s a very good size for normal wrists. on. On my 7.75 wrist it looks absolutely fine and in no way undersized.

The GS divers that I like are £9500-£10,000. So at under £3k it seems a good buy for a limited run watch.

As a collector and wearer (I have been wearing the SLA since it arrived) of many varied watches I think it makes sense. As an only watch, unless you absolutely loved the original and grew up wanting a modern version of it, maybe not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    All I will add is that as an owner I think it's easily worth asking price. Much of it is based on how it looks.

're an earlier question comparing fit and finish to a GS - no the GS is better but the SLA17 is higher quality than the MM300. Quality wise I'd put it on par overall with a Rolex Sub - worse bracelet for sure (although most people wear on strap), better dial, indice and hand finishing than the Sub, nicer case construction than sub plus it has diashock, Sub has better ceramic bezel.

So the quality is there for sure and it's a step above mm300
    Have you been drinking before breakfast again, Ryan?

Leaving aside the fact that they put an el-cheapo movement in it, how is this in any way comparable to a Sub? The price is a piss-take.

Last edited by learningtofly; 2nd December 2017 at 11:17.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    I've been very tempted but this watch is over-priced for what it is. There are still quite a few for sale at EU dealers who are trying to offload at £2,800 (I know as I contacted a couple in Germany through Chrono 24).

If it's quality of finish (case/ dial / lume) were almost on a par with Grand Seiko, then fine - but it's not. The 'SEIKO' on the dial should have been applied (as on the original) and NOT PRINTED. No excuse for that - penny pinching. The fitted strap is fairly basic and a lint magnet. Then there's the cheap Chinese bracelet included as an after-thought.

I really can't see this model ever being an 'investment' piece.
    I don’t see the penny pinching in not having an applied logo - it’s simply a choice in the design process.