closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My MUstang GT V8

Master

My Mustang GT V8

My Mustang GT.

For those interested, this is the story so far.

Around late 2014, I started to get wind that Ford were going to be bringing a RHD Mustang to the UK.

As a serial TVR owner, that due to health reasons, was beginning to struggle with getting in and out, and general use of an uncompromising plastic car made in Blackpool, I decided that I needed something more practical, modern and reliable. But it still needed to be fun, fast, and good to look at. My initial thoughts on seeing the new Mustang, hinted that it may just fit the bill.

I did lots of research on the American forums, and concluded that at the price, I had to give it a go, and if it didn't work out, I could always sell, and might even make a profit for once.... This is a brochure pic of the car that caught my eye. It's Guard grey (green) saddle brown leather, automatic V8 coupe.
    2 weeks after I placed my order this colour was discontinued.

So we get to Feb 2nd 2015, my 53rd birthday and I go to Stoke to order the car and place my deposit.
    I'm told I'll get it around Nov 2015. The TVR is sold, and I start to plan what I'm going to do with the car.
    First thing has to be an exhaust, I ordered a Borla touring system and stored it under the bed.
    Next came new suspension parts and a few cosmetic bit n pieces

November came and went, as did Dec, Jan, and Feb, by the time we got to March 2016, I was ready to forget the whole thing and buy a second hand FType.
    Other people that had ordered their cars way after me were getting deliveries and I was left hanging on.
    My wife persuaded me to give it a bit more time, and I'm glad she did.
    Eventually delivery day arrived March 31st 2016.

On the second day of ownership, I'd fitted the new suspension, exhaust and steering wheel from the GT350

Next came the wheels from the USA. Made specifically for the Mustang so with the correct offsets etc. I ordered these with a custom finish.

I was then pretty satisfied, and was using the car as much as possible, clocking up 12000 miles in that first 10 months or so of ownership. Including a trip to Holland

Then I started getting itchy feet again, and started thinking about some more mods.
    The car was now handling quite nicely for a big old coupe, I'd done a couple of track days, and really enjoyed them. But I felt I could use more power.

So I fitted Long tube headers, a cold air intake and had the engine remapped.
    The headers were from Australia, and because I wanted to run efficient Cats, some fabrication work was required to get the new headers to match up to the rest of the system.
    This was where a local fabrication magician came to the rescue.

These mods made a significant difference to performance

I also wanted to sharpen the inside up a bit, so I bought some genuine alcantara and set about making a few parts on my wife's sewing machine..
    I did knee bolsters, handbrake, and gear lever gators, and the rear parcel shelf

Externally I had the roof wrapped Black, the mirrors painted black, and stripes over the top.

The Mustang comes with fantastic Brembo 6 piston brakes, but ford let the side down with very heavy discs.
    The next mod was to shed some unsprung mass from the brakes, this was achieved by buying fully floating 2 piece discs from America, which shed an unbelievable 14 pounds per side at the front...Yes 1 stone off each front wheel. This in combination with my lighter wheels, has made a significant difference to the steering and ride comfort, so was well worth the money.
    Of course I took the opportunity to get the calipers painted, and at the same Tim unrated the rear brakes with larger 2 piece discs and 4 piston calipers....

A few other mods on the go at the moment, is to fit a 50th anniversary grill

Looks like this when fitted

And some GT 350 quad tips, but I want mine custom made...

So that's about it for now...

The car is now 20 months old and I've done 20k miles. Not bad for a car that's used as a second, and is used solely for pleasure.
    Average MPG over that time is 24, with a best of 32 on some of the long runs.
    A full service at Ford was £160, and insurance is less than £300 with all mods declared of course

Bottom line, I think it's a great car, certainly there are far better handling, faster, more exclusive cars on the roads.

But VFM, and fun factor, the Mustang is the best car I've owned.....
    Last edited by Enoch; 13th February 2018 at 15:04.

Master
    I will edit the thread tomorrow to get rid of duplicate photos.... not sure what went wrong...

Master
    I'm not a fan of modern American cars but I absolutely love yours it is gorgeous and I bet that V8 sounds amazing I am not that bothered about mods on cars but yours is very nicely done, I bet you are chuffed to bits with it :)

Wow, that's just mind-blowing! And to think I feel a sense of achievement filling up my wife's AdBlue tank....

What skill, and great ideas too (and you're not even scared to go on the sewing machine!). I appreciate your strive to customise and improve. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. I couldn't see the difference in the photos showing the 50th anniversary grill?

Master
    That's a great post and a cracking car,
    I'd be happy with that as standard never mind with your mods
    I think I'd struggle to get one in my garage though, my MGF is a tight fit!

Master
    Been tempted by one of these for a while. However I woukd use it about 3 weeks if the year and my 74 year old Mum who would be looking after it in the UK thinks its a bit ostentatious for the weekly shop.

Craftsman
    The quality of the welding is superb, that's some of the best fabrication work I've ever seen.

I really like what you've done with the car, you've improved it in every way that's important without going over the top and ruining it.

How would you rate the auto box in these, is there any degree of manual control? Also, did you try the manual as well as the auto before choosing the Auto?

I really want one of these, I've run nothing but V8's since I've been over here, and I think a Mustang would fit the bill when I eventually return to the UK.

What kind of MPG are you averaging?

Superb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Indeed, superb. I love the colour combination!

Menno

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Great write up and pictures, certainly a lot of time and dedication gone into that!!

mike

Nicely done, I like what you did there. I suspect very few people would consider modifying their new car themselves! I suppose the new TVR is going to be well out of your budget but would you even consider it now? Or even when the mid-engine Corvette is out?
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Lovely car and very subtle mods

sent from TZ-UK mobile app

Great car and write up!

That is some write up and pics! Congratulations and thanks for the post! .

Master
    Lovely looking thing and making it your own is the fun with any car. Top work.

Master
    Great write up Andy and very smart looking motor. Did you do Curberough with Dan and the gang ?
    Maybe see you at a breakfast club at the Ironworks next year ?
    Cheers
    Steve

Master
    Incredible amount of work, but came out extremely well!

I recognise that car park at the end :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishExpat View Post
    The quality of the welding is superb, that's some of the best fabrication work I've ever seen.

I really like what you've done with the car, you've improved it in every way that's important without going over the top and ruining it.

How would you rate the auto box in these, is there any degree of manual control? Also, did you try the manual as well as the auto before choosing the Auto?

I really want one of these, I've run nothing but V8's since I've been over here, and I think a Mustang would fit the bill when I eventually return to the UK.

What kind of MPG are you averaging?
    The auto box..... well it's the first time I've ever ordered a car with an auto, a left knee replacement and getting older made it seem the sensible thing to do, and I'm so glad I did.

The Auto is faster than the manual, and give slightly better economy, it's very smooth and it can take massive power (over 800 Bhp) and no trouble unlike the manual.

I've never driven a car with PDK, so I suspect that if you have you'd find the Mustang a bit slow and lazy, as changes aren't intstant, and you have to plan ahead.
    In saying that, it can change gear much faster than I can.
    I took the car to Santa pod where I put it up against my mates tuned manual Mustang, he couldn't get near me over the quarter mile, and my car was very consistent...

And yes, if you put it in sport, sport+ or track mode and use a paddle once, you are then in full paddle mode. It'll hold any gear until you flick a paddle to change up up down.
    And it does a fantastic race Blip on the down change.

I did think I may miss a manual, but in the 20k miles I've done, I haven't missed it at all.

Apparently the new 2018 Mustang with its 10 speed auto, is much faster again. But I won't be upgrading..

Average overall MPG is just over 24.... I have an iPad app and it shows this figure to be accurate...

On long trips I get high 20, and have on occasion been into the low 30's
    Last edited by Enoch; 30th November 2017 at 09:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Nicely done, I like what you did there. I suspect very few people would consider modifying their new car themselves! I suppose the new TVR is going to be well out of your budget but would you even consider it now? Or even when the mid-engine Corvette is out?
    Not now....price is way out of my comfort zone, I'm sure it'll be epic performance, but I'm happy to stick with the Mustang.
    I'm currently giving serious thought to Supercharging.... stage 1 Roush will give 670 Bhp, and be totally safe for the engine.
    That should turn a quick car into a fast car....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Great write up Andy and very smart looking motor. Did you do Curberough with Dan and the gang ?
    Maybe see you at a breakfast club at the Ironworks next year ?
    Cheers
    Steve
    Hi Steve....I did Curborogh with Overclockers, one of the guys that works there has a Mustang, and organised a nice little track day for a few mates...

I actually thought that the Mustang wouldnt equip itself very well around a tight twisty narrow track, but boy did it surprise me...
    It was every bit a match for an M3 and great fun, all for £50 quid..

Send me a PM for a breakfast club meet...... I sometimes do the Shelsley Walsh one too, which is a lovely drive through rural Shropshire..

- - - Updated - - -

For everybody else.....thanks for the comments..glad you all seem to like it.👍👍

That's very nicely done. Subtle (for a Mustang!) with some well worked modifications.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    What a super looking car as standard, improved no end by the mods. And a top write up, well done, it must be fun to drive. The sound will be epic no doubt.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My realistic dream car, love the colour/interior combination.

Master
    Blog Entries
    For those interested, for orders placed December onwards you should get the upgraded engine with an extra 50 bhp.
    Last edited by Middo; 4th December 2017 at 06:42.

Master
    Yes new model due soon..

More BHP, options of 10 speed auto, magnetic suspension and active exhaust and new fancy dash..

Prices start at around £41k for a base model V8. Rising to around £50k with all the options

Still a bargain, IMO but quite a bit more than the £35k I spent.... and I ticked all the option boxes...

Master
    You have a VERY nice car.

Blog Entries
    Great car, and as I said on the other thread it still retains the classic mustang dna in the styling.
    Jealous lots👍

You sir, are a nutter. And the world needs many more such as thee.
    I salute you and your glorious lunacy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You have done a great job I like it.

Exhaust under the bed is the sort of thing I would do,don’t you have a garage.
    Where are you picking up the info is there a forum?

Craftsman
    Excellent.

Master
    Yes...large double garage...

The Mustang forum I enjoy is called "Mustang6G" it's a large website with lots of info, and a UK section..

Master
    Very nice looking machine. A lot of cosmetic mods cheapen a car but yours have enhanced it.
    Very good job.

You and I rarely see eye to eye, and indeed after my experience with a Mach 1 in the late 70's I'm not really a US car fan, but credit where its due, great looking car, nice write up and photos showing amazing attention to detail, well done, and yes I admit I'm just a tiny bit envious
    Last edited by number2; 30th November 2017 at 11:40.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Very very cool, thanks for posting.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Super write up, and great that you’re not afraid to make mods to your taste and then actually use it. With even quite modest classics getting so valuable now I can see why some owners just coddle them, while you are getting the fun from a muscle car while you still can. I very much doubt that these kind of cars will still be in series manufacture in another decade....

Colour me green.

Craftsman
    is that track image at Curborough? i was at the unveilling of the focus rs at siverstone with ford about 18 months ago and they had a few of these . The wheels look stunning

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I've historically not been a fan of American iron, but these Mustangs and to some extent the Dodge Charger have softened my view. Add in what you've done (absolutely stunning) and the appeal is growing rapidly. I'm not sure whether to thank you for sharing or not.

Is there any way of posting a video - id love to hear that exhaust note?

Adding a blower you say? - you know it makes sense!

Master
    In answer to a couple of questions.... Yes Curborough..
    & apologies for the short and very amateur video....My excuse is that it was the first time I've used my Gopro

Lovely machine with some great mods...and that exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    For those interested, for orders placed December onwards you should get the upgraded engine with an extra 50 bhp.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Really?

No, Really?

What? Really?

Very nice work - The Mustang's a good looking car, no doubt and those mods make it quite a machine!

Even from the factory, American cars have come a long way in the last 10-20 years.

M

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s just a bit nicer sounding than my Astra diesel,I was half expecting you to come back and run over the camera.

Master
    Brilliant, great write up, not my cup of tea but love it when a real enthusiast transmits his passion, well done sir.

Master
    That exhaust is a definite improvement on the standard fit. I had a listen to the demonstrator at a local dealership and the V8 sounded a bit insipid, though I am judging it from my wortec exhaust VXR8.
    Yours though sounds a much better fit for the car, nice work.

Excellent write up Sir! Made my lunch break and bookmarked for future updates to keep up with the upcoming mods ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Many thanks for posting the video - sounds awesome and got the hairs on my neck standing to attention.

Blimey, you don't let the grass grow!

Seen quite a few of these in the US but must be nice to have a RHD over here.

My son in America has a V8 Camaro that I've driven around, that goes a bit too. Probably like a Golf next to your monster though!

Congratulations on a great car that is a bit different.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Yes...large double garage...

The Mustang forum I enjoy is called "Mustang6G" it's a large website with lots of info, and a UK section..
    Let me know if you ever consider selling, thats right up my street

Bit of a contrast from the Caterham R400

Simon

Master
    Lovely. Those rims are such an improvement over OEM, they look superb!

Very nice job
    I always stop to take a look at mustangs- as you said earlier, there may be better handling, better built cars about but they do have an honesty about them and look like a fun car
    Thanks for the write up