closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fortis reportedly filed for bankruptcy

I ware my B42 daily, I doubt many watches could stand the punishment it receives and still look so good. It even survived my dog taking it from the bed side table, through the house onto the patio, where by it proceeded to smash it from side to side holding the nato strap in its mouth, "killing" it against the patio as if it were a rat!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    They have no stock of any fortis watches and no idea if or when they will (as confirmed to me in an email).

Strange they are still listed,I was browsing earlier.

https://www.pageandcooper.com/brands/fortis/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
    I ware my B42 daily, I doubt many watches could stand the punishment it receives and still look so good. It even survived my dog taking it from the bed side table, through the house onto the patio, where by it proceeded to smash it from side to side holding the nato strap in its mouth, "killing" it against the patio as if it were a rat!

Blimey! I thought mine took some beating but that sounds like a true test of durability. Is the dog a Jack Russell then?

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Blimey! I thought mine took some beating but that sounds like a true test of durability. Is the dog a Jack Russell then?
    Manchester terrier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
    Manchester terrier.

The dreaded T word LOL.

A shame really. They are a brand with a rich history (world's first automatic wristwatch, Russian space missions etc.) and a design of their own. Maybe the Chinese or some other party will buy the name but it will not be the same. I think I will hold on to my B-42 for a little longer now, just for sentimental reasons.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am just watching a very good P and C video on Fortis

he mentioned a book I have found it on PDF, it looks well worth reading.

http://www.fortis-watches.com/upload...bilee-Book.pdf

Many thanks for this. Looking through the PDF - what a fantastic heritage Fortis have. I own the 38mm Lemania 5100 Chronograph - brilliant watch. Real shame.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rushroon View Post
    Many thanks for this. Looking through the PDF - what a fantastic heritage Fortis have. I own the 38mm Lemania 5100 Chronograph - brilliant watch. Real shame.
    Traced right back to making lamps for the Romans that’s some history.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Roman Empire was at its zenith.
    In the town of Modena in Northern Italy, Lucius Aemilius Fortis had established a reputation for producing oil lamps
    made from yellow and red clay. The quality of the small, useful lamps produced by his workshop was particularly good and transformed daily life in Ancient Rome.
    The everyday life of the inhabitants, which until then had been determined by the trajectory of the sun, was enriched enormously by the inexpensive lamps that were available to everyone for the dark evening and night-time hours.
    The brand name stamped on the bottom of these rst mass- produced oil lamps was very legible. FORTIS subsequently became the best known and most productive pottery works, and established a network of branches to supply inhabitants and avoid costly transport over long distances.
    In 2008, evidence was found during archaeological digs near Modena in Northern Italy of the origin of so-called “company lamps” with the FORTIS stamp, as they had existed on three continents.
    The commercial success was so great that imitators reproduced the signature for their own oil lamps, using it to label and distribute their products. FORTIS oil lamps were used until the second century A.D. and the name achieved such popularity that FORTIS became the most frequently imitated brand throughout the Roman Empire.

Not worth a separate thread and I don't know enough about fortis to work out if these are good prices or not but might be useful for someone:

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/search/?text=Fortis

Journeyman
    Really sorry to learn such news.

I had an emails off them on Friday apologising for the tardy response to my previous messages, guess they are still working at the moment.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk