closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rareish watches with tragic depreciation that you really want

Rareish watches with tragic depreciation that you really want

Call me a tight old sod but I can't be the only one here who sees a lot of nice watches but balks at their somewhat excessive RRP. I like to know I'm getting some value and if I do buy a new watch, I like to think it would at least hold 60 to 70% of it's purchase price should I change my mind and flog it on (happens quite a bit). Of course, it's pretty easy if this watch is a Breitling, Tag etc as you know a fair few will appear on the second hand market at their true value enabling one to pick up a relative bargain. However, certain models very rarely appear at a realistic used value, never mind an eBay auction with a low start price.

Here's my current list of wanted models, most of which I have been waiting for years to appear at a 99p start on eBay or similar...

It's a Titoni with a dragon on it available at a few places for daft money. I've never, ever seen a second hand one for sale.

A Movado Datron automatic. I tried one of these on in America a few years back and was struck with how nice it was. Everything about it appealed to me except the price - over £1K for a 7750 chrono that'll be worth about £300 the second it left the shop. Once again, never seen a second hand one for sale.

Eberhard Chrono 4 Temerario. I want this exact model on a bracelet. RRP close to £4K but have you seen the price of second hand Chrono 4s? Apart from this one - it never seems to appear.

The Raketa Avtomat - probably one of the nicest watches to come out of Russia for many, many years. 850 Euros though? Not a chance...

The Rado Golden Horse Hyperchrome. RRP was in the thousands but I once saw one about 2 years ago for £800ish on eBay. I ummed and ahhed for a few hours but then some other bugger bought it. Never seen another since...

So, if you have one of the above for sale, contact me. If not, just share if you have some similar wanted watches.

Just about anything by De Bethune or Greubel Forsey!

One of Eddie's - the PRS28 Smiths Radio Room

When I think of all the watches that I have owned, nearly all were fairly easy to source as in there is always someone somewhere selling one, but this bugger has me well and truely beat. I have been bumping a WTB for months on about 3 or 4 different forums and not a sniff.

Even worse is the fact that everyone who has one tells me theirs was bought to commemorate something special and that it has huge sentimental value so they would never sell. I have offered finders fees, donations to the FR - not a jot.

Not bothered about depreciation, in fact the opposite, willing to pay a decent price.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 27th November 2017 at 18:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Eberhard Chrono 4 Temerario. I want this exact model on a bracelet. RRP close to £4K but have you seen the price of second hand Chrono 4s? Apart from this one - it never seems to appear.
    That Temerario is really funky. Very unique look and name - and not much chance of coming across someone wearing the same I bet.

Craftsman
    I really like the Rado watch above, simple, clean and with a little bit of Grand Seiko badging about it. The Movado proportions look excellent and the contrast in dial colours, very smart.

I don't think I can add any rare/depreciating watches to the post, but felt compelled to feedback how much I liked two of the watches you covet.

Cheers,

Master
    Plenty of those on C24.

The Rado Golden Horse Hyperchrome. RRP was in the thousands but I once saw one about 2 years ago for £800ish on eBay. I ummed and ahhed for a few hours but then some other bugger bought it. Never seen another since...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RADO-R3297...C/162692908382

The Breguet Souscription Set from 1991.

Sold originally for goodness knows how much. Now less than a '63 GMT Master.

Maybe one of those Speedy Tuesdays when Omega discover they can't sell them all and the bottom falls out of the market.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    But all way too much money.

Master
    I wouldn't mind this in the collection but unlikely to ever fork out for one...

https://www.chrono24.com/ebel/1911-t...-id3448779.htm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post

I must be missing something. What exactly is the "Glasgow Rangers" feature?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    It's massive and will do bad things to your finances?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    That will be the engraved Glasgow Rangers rotor then ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

The thread title is "Rareish watches with tragic depreciation that you really want", not "Tragic rare watches that make you depressed" :D

Green lume on a rangers watch? someone dropped the ball there

Master
    But all way too much money.
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/eberhar...utomatic-watch

It's not "rare".. but depreciates like nobodies business
    https://professionalwatches.com/2013...ershing-0.html

Felt rather nice on the wrist, but not enough to loose 75% of its value walking out the door with it.

The Vacheron Constantin Historiques American 1921, is also another i love, but again... might as well set fire to my savings if i was to pay RRP.

Still waiting for a Romain Jerome, Pikachu or Mario to turn up on ebay, cheap enough i'd by one :)

Good spot and thanks for remembering me! Unfortunately the exact model I want isn't there :(

I've always been keen on one of those Fortis mathematics watches. I love maths and have a decent collection of math based stuff...

If was 38mm (instead of 42mm) and if it was £600 (instead of £2000) I would have bought one...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Maybe one of those Speedy Tuesdays when Omega discover they can't sell them all and the bottom falls out of the market.
    I thought they were all sold ages ago.....Omega hasn't got any to offer. And , used, they still sell well above retail.......
    Oops,just noticed how old the thread is.
    Last edited by paskinner; 29th January 2018 at 21:17.

Good spot and thanks for remembering me! Unfortunately the exact model I want isn't there :(
    Could you not just buy the one you want with the leather strap and then buy the bracelet separately?

Unless I'm being a bit daft (likely) they've got listed as 31047.8 and image number 11 in the model options.

Steve

Sinn 303 Drivers Chronograph 'Corvette C5-R' limited edition (500 units made)

Made to commemorate Corvette's performances/return to le Mans in the C5-R. I had the opportunity to buy one whilst at le Mans back in 2001 just after they introduced the watch (July 2000) but I decided against it. Now I've decided I want one, do you think I can find one?????
    http://www.schaper.net/watches/sinn/.../brochure.html