closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ginault Ocean Rover

Ginault Ocean Rover

Arrived whilst I was on holiday, a Ginault Ocean Rover (model 180165C1LN). I was advised 3 to 4 weeks for delivery but actually came within 10 days. I emailed them to check stock and was advised there was 35% off in their Fall sale, which was fine by me! Seems they have a European delivery point so whilst it still costs $49 for delivery from the US, you don't get stung for import charges to the UK.

In the box was the watch, screwdriver (the links are nicely screwed together), cleaning cloth, watch timing card and a personalized guarantee card. Also in the box was a heavy sand Nato, which I wasn't expecting. A later photo here shows the Nato laid on top on the bracelet, I wanted to try the strap before I changed things around. The bracelet has a glide-lock fitment.

Initial impressions? It's a well finished case with crisp printing on the watch face. The rotor is quiet and the crown clicks into place nicely, adjusting the date and time felt smooth. It has a good weight to it, not too heavy and feels comfortable on my wrist. Lume is good and under a loupe looks consistent. Likewise the hands are nicely finished.

I don't have a similar watch in my collection (hence me buying this) but for size and weight it's very close to my Omega 50th GMT.

So all in all I am very happy with it. I know there have been some comments here concerning the controversy surrounding Ginault and their choice of styling but I feel it has a classic look and incorporates a lot of features of a few watches into one.

Sish.
    Last edited by sish101; 27th November 2017 at 08:55.

Master
    Nice. I've had my no date for a couple of months. My favourite watch in a 50 watch collection.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    While the watch is a bit derivative, the look overall holds up. I can't however, get over how annoying (to me) the "Hand Built" on the dial is. Just a "Made" or "Built" would work fine by me.

I've been wearing mine a lot since buying it too. For me it's a great best of tribute to various Rolex references I wouldn't want to spend money on, but instead in a single watch that never actually went into production. 90% of the watch at 10% of the price! Yes, the various aesthetic choices concerning the dial text are questionable to say the least, but people who actually own one agree they are not noticeable in real life.

Master
    Good to read people are enjoying them. I quite fancy the blue bezel model with a date. Maybe in the NY.

Craftsman
    Hard to knock these for the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking watch. Like the hands.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Very nice. Looks like a Rolex, or vice-versa.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    While the watch is a bit derivative, the look overall holds up. I can't however, get over how annoying (to me) the "Hand Built" on the dial is. Just a "Made" or "Built" would work fine by me.
    Fully agree. Built sounds wrong too, makes it sound clumsy somehow. Even "hand made" would be an improvement.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Fully agree. Built sounds wrong too, makes it sound clumsy somehow. Even "hand made" would be an improvement.
    Yeah, you're right. It's not just the length of the text, but word choice. Built is clumsy and very industrial sounding.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    It's not actually hand made though. Hand assembled at best.

Apprentice

Ginault Ocean Rover problems

I wish my experience of the Ginault was as good as everyone else's!

My order got delayed, then lost by the courier, resent, and then when the damn thing finally arrived it had obviously been knocked about in transit or something because it was rattling about inside and kept stopping intermittently sometimes losing hours per day. (not +3 sec as stated on the card!) Meanwhile there were 37 emails, mostly mine, trying to find out what the hell was going on, Ginault really aren't that good at getting back to their customers once they have your money!

You can see the fault here: https://youtu.be/etncH9Ro9a8

I took it to my local Rolex service centre and they said when turning the second hand anti clockwise, the timing gear felt very lumpy and rough as if something was out of place.

I contacted Ginault and their response was if I sent it back, they would examine it and "if the fault was not caused by user error" they would give me a refund.
    While reading the website it also states The watch must be in "UNUSED condition, meaning the original protective plastics UN-REMOVED, watch UNDAMAGED, and UNALTERED" if I wanted a refund so basically they have many "get out" clauses to protect them.
    I really felt like I didn't have a leg to stand on and I really like the look of the watch, it's just a shame it can't tell the time!

Anyhow, I decided to open a Paypal case for a partial refund so I could have the watch repaired locally/UK, shouldn't be a problem if it really is a "clone" 2824. That way I don't have to wait for months again.
    The good news is that Paypal ruled in my favour today, as Ginault did their usual thing and didn't reply!

Now, where to send it for repair?!

Master
    Disappointing to read this. They replaced my watch without much delay after it developed a fault shortly after delivery. They did insist it was sent for examination but quite quickly after receipt offered the replacement.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Disappointing to read this. They replaced my watch without much delay after it developed a fault shortly after delivery. They did insist it was sent for examination but quite quickly after receipt offered the replacement.

Good to hear you had a good result. I've been stung a couple of times in the past with internet purchases so now I don't take any chances!