closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart GMT advise required, please help.

Steinhart GMT advise required, please help.

Hi all,

I am in need of advise from your collective knowledge.

I am thinking about buying the ceramic Steinhart GMT, but a little put off by YouTube video's where the numbers seem to completely disappear, so much so that I have been considering the Pepsi instead (just missed one on SC yesterday).

Would I be better off with the aluminium bezels instead?

How easy is it to swap the bezels out? Do they get damaged in the process and therefore a one time deal or are they easy to swap around as and when the mood takes you?

Thanks in advance.

I had a ceramic ocean 1 black and didn't like the bezel at all. In any light at all, the numerals disappear.

They are only about €15 so can be changed easily enough (even if damaged in the way off).

Craftsman

ceramic

Quote Originally Posted by You Only Live Twice View Post
    Hi all,

I am in need of advise from your collective knowledge.

I am thinking about buying the ceramic Steinhart GMT, but a little put off by YouTube video's where the numbers seem to completely disappear, so much so that I have been considering the Pepsi instead (just missed one on SC yesterday).

Would I be better off with the aluminium bezels instead?

How easy is it to swap the bezels out? Do they get damaged in the process and therefore a one time deal or are they easy to swap around as and when the mood takes you?

Thanks in advance.
    I've just changed the aluminium bezel on mine to a ceramic one, the pictures are a bit misleading & it is clearer in natural light. At present I prefer the ceramic & in my experience the change requires the bezel to be drilled & levered off so it does damage the original. However I am a bit ham-fisted and there may be a way of doing it which doesn't damage it.

I had the same problem, the numbers all most became invisible at certain angles.

It is my sons 30th at the end of January and need to decide between the black ceramic or aluminium since the coke and pepsi are a bit more in you face. It ain't looking good for ceramic at the moment.
    I will be adding the Pepsi to my own collection. Maybe the ceramic would be better if the numbers were engraved and then filled with either white paint or lume. Their website makes the ceramic look ok but i suspect they are the same images as the aluminium ones.

Does anyone here have the aluminium variant? How is the legibility?

I've had both...

CERAMIC:

In bright light... say goodbye to those numbers!

And the aluminium bezel which I now own and will be keeping! The numbers are ALWAYS legible:

I'm being hard on the ceramic I know.. but I didn't like it at all compared to the standard bezel. However... there were some magic moments when the glossy ceramic look was very nice indeed. Just not enough to make me keep it:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I've had both...

CERAMIC:

In bright light... say goodbye to those numbers!

And the aluminium bezel which I now own and will be keeping! The numbers are ALWAYS legible:

I'm being hard on the ceramic I know.. but I didn't like it at all compared to the standard bezel. However... there were some magic moments when the glossy ceramic look was very nice indeed. Just not enough to make me keep it:

Where did you buy your deployant strap from?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Where did you buy your deployant strap from?
    Kerr Gibson at https://www.strap-works.co.uk/

Aluminium all day long for me.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Johnny E, thanks for taking the time to answer my query. The photos certainly help. I suspect this will be the same issue on the GMT version. So unless someone comes up with some last minute reprieve, it looks like aluminium is the way to go. I must also say the black deployment looks the business. Cant find it on the website though.

Quote Originally Posted by You Only Live Twice View Post
    Johnny E, thanks for taking the time to answer my query. The photos certainly help. I suspect this will be the same issue on the GMT version. So unless someone comes up with some last minute reprieve, it looks like aluminium is the way to go. I must also say the black deployment looks the business. Cant find it on the website though.
    The issues will be the same no matter which model - until such times as they start engraving their ceramic bezels (I think Squale do so, and it looks much better for it). You won't regret the aluminium choice - it does not look cheap at all in comparison.

As for the strap - they're pretty much all custom orders - drop Kerr an email and he'll get back to you with pics of all his leathers in stock.

Steinhart Sales????

So I am ready to pull the trigger but have paused for thought.

Does anyone know if Steinhart have sales in the new year. My son's birthday is at the end of January and I don't want to be kicking myself thinking I have over paid. A 10% saving is a 10% saving.

I’m not saying that they won’t but I’ve never heard of a Steinhart “sale”. Others may know differently.

Trigger pulled!!!

OK, so the trigger has been pulled and I am now tracking a parcel from our German friends. I finally landed a Rolex BLNR at the weekend so a comparison review looks imminent.

Master
    Doesn’t aluminium scratch more easily than ceramic?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Doesn’t aluminium scratch more easily than ceramic?
    Yup, but lacks the shatter and usually much cheaper to replace too

So my watch is currently with our neighbours across the channel in France.

Craftsman
    I have a few Steinhart watches now, all alloy bezels. They do mark easily if you’re not careful with your watches, I’m terrible I always pamper mine, the mrs hates me wearing a nice watch because I won’t let her hold my hand, bonus if you ask me haha. For each of my Steinhart watches I have a spare bezel insert new in the packet. This is kept in the box and in my safe. Only my Pepsi has a mark on the bezel but it’s tiny and I can live with it, especially in the knowledge I have a new mint one in the safe :) Two of my fold share a black ‘spare’ insert.

As of 8:20 yesterday my package was in Stansted and by 17:28 today it was at Southern Sort GB, wherever that may be. So i am expecting a knock tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    I have a few Steinhart watches now, all alloy bezels. They do mark easily if you’re not careful with your watches, I’m terrible I always pamper mine, the mrs hates me wearing a nice watch because I won’t let her hold my hand, bonus if you ask me haha. For each of my Steinhart watches I have a spare bezel insert new in the packet. This is kept in the box and in my safe. Only my Pepsi has a mark on the bezel but it’s tiny and I can live with it, especially in the knowledge I have a new mint one in the safe :) Two of my fold share a black ‘spare’ insert.
    I have considered having a few bezels on standby in order to change things up. Do you have any tips on safely swapping out bezels? Do the old ones get damaged when replaced?

Craftsman
    Unfortunately I can’t offer any advice here. I’ve not yet swapped one. I’m sure there is a you tube tutorial on it however. I would simply puncture the thing and prise it off, that said something like brake cleaner/electrical cleaner would loosen up the glue effectively. The odd thing there is heat will soften the glue but the spray melts it whilst making it extremely cold.

Whatever you do make sure he chemicals won’t damage the insert or surrounding finishes such as anti glare. And do use a well ventilated area, it’s quite potent.

So watches arrived today at 11am. Sorted. Even included a free bar of Christmas chocolate for each watch, which is a nice gesture.
    I will take some pictures soon and post them on the incoming/new arrivals thread.

Thank you all for your advise and information.