closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice bottle of wine lately?

Nice bottle of wine lately?

Just polished off a rather good Cote du Rhine villages-
    Cairanne Reserve des Hospitalliers
    From Waitrose, not very expensive. Very nice though.
    Your recent recommendations?

Craftsman
    Her indoors seems to be getting trollied on Albariño of late

We brought a Puligny Montrachet Domaine Jean Monnier today from waitrose. They guy gave us a taste each and it was superb. Good for a celebration

Join the Wine Society.

Buy any of their wine.

Close thread.

Diemersfontein pinotage or the “the chocolate block”. Both excellent but the chocolate block far easier to get hold of (Diemrsfontein used to be available in Waitrose but seemingly no longer, had to bring a couple of bottles back from SA, chocalote block available from Majestic or Schiphol airport)

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Just polished off a rather good Cote du Rhine villages-
    Cairanne Reserve des Hospitalliers
    From Waitrose, not very expensive. Very nice though.
    Your recent recommendations?
    Not fond of Rhone wines generally but their Arenes des Anges
    Costieres des Nimes is rather nice, especially as it is a little reduced at the moment.

Master
    Another thumbs up for Chocolate Block - very enjoyable wine.
    Last edited by Senninha; 28th November 2017 at 08:19.

Master
    Blog Entries

Chocolate block here too, I get it from the local wine merchant, however I assure you can get it from Waitrose now.

For those that like a bargain, 5 liters, £21.99 delivered on deal of the day. Worried your friends might see the box, just decant it.............

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baron-dArig...1710014&sr=1-3

Had a very nice skin contact white by Ariana Occhipinti, SP68 bianco named after a road round mt etna muscat and indigenous variety blend. Was very perfumed and something a bit different.
    Her reds are good too.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Currently slurping a very nice A&R Shiraz Voignier whilst I coax some yorkie puds into perfection.

Just had a bottle of Craft & Origin Organic shiraz. Comes in a beer-type bottle (smaller than standard wine bottle size). £3.49. Very, very good.

This Malbec got a good mention in the Observer under £10 section today, think I'll try one with a view to buying a few for quaffing on Boxing Day, which is when I do the family meal.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Had a very nice skin contact white by Ariana Occhipinti, SP68 bianco named after a road round mt etna muscat and indigenous variety blend. Was very perfumed and something a bit different.
    Her reds are good too.
    I was turned on to Ms. Occhipinti's wines a couple of years ago by a shop owner, when I insisted that I had no use for "natural wine". Turns out that you don't need to have that natural thing get in the way, and it doesn't have to be an impediment to making good wine. Her stuff is really great, and I nearly always now keep a bottle of her Il Frappato in the house. Delicious, light bodied and fragrant red, not at all what you'd expect from Sicilian vino.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    I was turned on to Ms. Occhipinti's wines a couple of years ago by a shop owner, when I insisted that I had no use for "natural wine". Turns out that you don't need to have that natural thing get in the way, and it doesn't have to be an impediment to making good wine. Her stuff is really great, and I nearly always now keep a bottle of her Il Frappato in the house. Delicious, light bodied and fragrant red, not at all what you'd expect from Sicilian vino.

i’m not a huge natural wine fan and often get confused with orange/skin contact/biological/biodynamic/organic and sometimes that fizzy spritz you get can be off-putting but this was slightly farmyardy but not OTT, will pick up a bottle for christmas drinking with the Mrs.

this is worth a try (from oddbins for about a tenner) not that i was as looking for organic but i’m a big fan of Sicilian reds.

We've been to wine fairs the last two Sundays. Yesterday we came away with a Terpin Ribolla Gialla.

There was also a good Riesling maker by the name of Martin Wörner but the standout winner was a young guy called Kenk who does unbelievable things with Dornfelder. Seems like a bit of a garage operation as he has no web presence and Google turns up very little; all we have is the name of a wine shop in Mitte that he says sell his stuff. The one yesterday was dedicated completely to natural wines and as a result was a bit hipster central.

The previous week the highlights were a Chasselas and an Auslese Spätburgunder from Schlumberger.

SWBO also put in an order with Stortz-Nicolaus which was delivered today but I've no idea what is in it yet.

http://www.stortz-nicolaus.de
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Francophile "The Liberator" Stellenbosch Syrah - you can thank me later... ;)

Blog Entries
    Had a nice morning at Flint vineyard in Earsham and the Bacchus was the nicest white I have had for a long long time.

https://flintvineyard.com

Ben and Hannah are a great couple and I am sure they will succeed with their new business venture.

Well worth a visit if you are over our neck of the woods.

Pitch

Master
    Has anyone tried the Lidl £10 Barolo?

Not something you can find easily in the UK, but if you are in Austria look out for Blaufrankisch, a lovely full bodied red that give a decent Cote du Rhone a run for its money. More readily available is Gruner Virtliner, a nice refreshing white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...yep a big fan of a nicely chilled Gruner Veltliner Gobelsburger and moos burger in are favourites
    Some lovely Austrian wines out there such as Das Phantom, if you can find it.
    Thanks for the recommendations so far

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Yes, ok but not that impressed. Certainly there are much better bottles for £10 and definitely better Barolos.

I'm currently in Austria as it happens, I'll take a look

Craftsman
    Yep, sadly not great, which is unusual for Lidl wines. I swear by their Comte de senneval champagne though

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Join the Wine Society.

Buy any of their wine.

Close thread.
    Agree..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    This is a very nice Pinot Noir from Germany and the bottle is something to talk about.

2014 Hex vom Dasenstein Pinot Noir, Germany, Baden

Craftsman
    Chateau Musar (a Lebanese wine) for a little over £20 from Waitrose is always excellent and an interesting alternative to mid price Bordeaux

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    I'm currently in Austria as it happens, I'll take a look
    I would definitely recommend anything by Judith Beck (but especially red).

http://www.weingut-beck.at/en/weingut.html

She's part of an initiative of some female wine makers called 11Frauen - we've not been disappointed by any of them to date.

http://www.11frauenundihreweine.at/c...=/en/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Chateau Musar (a Lebanese wine) for a little over £20 from Waitrose is always excellent and an interesting alternative to mid price Bordeaux
    Not 'arf.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Yes, ok but not that impressed. Certainly there are much better bottles for £10 and definitely better Barolos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    Yep, sadly not great, which is unusual for Lidl wines. I swear by their Comte de senneval champagne though

Thanks chaps. Can you recommend something similar to a Barolo at around that price point? A colleague gave me a bottle about 25 years ago and it was probably the best wine I've ever had.

Craftsman

I had a nice Barolo recently from Majestic I think it was Berton Barolo and was ~£25.

I’ve tried quite a few low end barolos and nearly always been disappointed.

Sainsbury’s do a taste the difference Barbaresco at around £10 which may be a chepaer alternative

Last edited by Gordon76; 29th November 2017 at 10:53.

Master
    Sadly its the same for cheap chateauneuf. Discounted stuff from the supermarkets seems a good buy but its no better than the cote du rhone from next door which is still half the price.
    I've had a few laithwaites chnf and they are rather better but more expensive.

Penfolds Kalimna bin28 is my favourite but the price is going stupid, I remember when it was £7
    https://www.frazierswine.co.uk/penfo...iABEgLMh_D_BwE

Craftsman
    Thanks chaps. Can you recommend something similar to a Barolo at around that price point? A colleague gave me a bottle about 25 years ago and it was probably the best wine I've ever had.
    Langhe Nebbiolo, same grape, same region, different style. In general, Barolo is built to be drunk with age, and Langhe Nebbiolo meant to be drunk young. I have had a few great ones lately. Two of my favorites are Elio Grasso Gavarini Nebbiolo and Roberto Voerzio Langhe Nebbiolo, I also like G.D. Vajra Nebbiolo, and its very reasonably priced.

Arabella (South African pottage) via Naked Wines.

Utterly lush.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Penfolds Kalimna bin28 is my favourite but the price is going stupid, I remember when it was £7
    https://www.frazierswine.co.uk/penfo...iABEgLMh_D_BwE

Yup - used to be a good wine at £7, but I wouldn't have it now.........

One that I would buy every time - is Pirramimma Cabernet.

I used to get it from Majestic, but haven't seen it for ages.

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/pirr...sauvignon-9999

A beautiful, Cabernet with an almost chocolate finish.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Agree, some stunning Musars over the years.

I remember Bin 28 being £3.99 in Costco - does that make me old?! My mother was in and picked me up a couple of cases of it at that time, and they got mixed up on the till and charged her £2.99 :-)

Craftsman
    We have been buying a very nice Montepulciano d'abruzzo from Sainsbury's for a long time now, only about £6 per bottle and it's regularly on a 6 bottles for 25% discount offer. I really cant fault it.
    I have just got a couple of bottles of Amarone della valpolicella for a little treat over Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    We have been buying a very nice Montepulciano d'abruzzo from Sainsbury's for a long time now, only about £6 per bottle and it's regularly on a 6 bottles for 25% discount offer. I really cant fault it.
    I have just got a couple of bottles of Amarone della valpolicella for a little treat over Christmas.
    Laithwaites used to sell a nice Montepulciano d'Abruzzo from the Farnese stable. I'm not sure if they still stock it, as I've not been a member for a while now.

If you like a nice Montepulciano, try La Pluma from Waitrose.

Tarapaca Chile

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Laithwaites used to sell a nice Montepulciano d'Abruzzo from the Farnese stable. I'm not sure if they still stock it, as I've not been a member for a while now.

If you like a nice Montepulciano, try La Pluma from Waitrose.
    I do and I will.

The Sainsburys one is by Mondelli. Mrs R likes their Pinot Blush too.

Happy Christmas.

This isn’t a bad Sauvignon Blanc on offer in Morrisons at £6 a bottle and the name is rather apt which attracted me to it more than the bargain price.

Working my way through a Tesco Finest Zimmerman-Graff & Muller German Riesling, which is accompanying my spicy pepperoni pizza very nicely.

Forget any Blue Nun conurtations, this is really a lovely and light fruity drop, and a nice change from bold high strength alcohol New World wines

Aldi's Argentinian Malbec is excellent. (Aldi were voted the best of the supermarket suppliers)

https://www.prima.co.uk/all-recipes/...ermarket-wine/

Having never had a decent Italian red wine I was persuaded to buy a few bottles of an Amarone a couple of years ago, specifically this one:

It's available from Majestic Wine and is absolutely beautiful. I'm a huge Rioja fan but this is making significant inroads into my wine store.

Master
    Being a complete palastine lol I've recently re-discovered the joys of Liebfraumilch. £3.69 from Aldi. A dash of JD helps the taste.

Blog Entries
    Porta 6 from Majestic. Crappy looking label but drinks really well.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Just had a 2016 Judith Beck “INK”
    Lovely Austrian red which we discovered on a Ski trip a couple of years ago
    Well worth looking out for....
    Thanks for the thread revival!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Porta 6 from Majestic. Crappy looking label but drinks really well.

I had that a couple of weeks ago - a great drop

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Aldi's Argentinian Malbec is excellent. (Aldi were voted the best of the supermarket suppliers)

https://www.prima.co.uk/all-recipes/...ermarket-wine/
    Looking at the entries list , they won because they entered, I just asked my wife about these awards and she went who

She works in wine
    Last edited by adrianw; 2nd March 2019 at 10:58.

Tried this from Tesco last week, very easy drinking and a nice distinctive flavor
    Attached Images Attached Images