closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tudor Pelagos

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    I am on the fence about the whole Pelagos range. On one hand, they are very competent watches and offer some of that Rolex quality for less. But on the other hand, I couldn’t help but wonder if one should have waited a bit more and get a Rolex Sub instead...
    Personally I hold no desire at all for a sub and see this as an alternative. It ticks more boxes for me for a daily watch and fits my small collection better than a sub. I personally don’t get the whole Rolex sub thing though so maybe I am alone in my thoughts. Ultimately if a person hankers after a specific item then nothing else will scratch that itch. If you want a sub then wait and buy one, every watch you buy in between puts you further away from it.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 22nd January 2018 at 23:16.

I am on the fence about the whole Pelagos range. On one hand, they are very competent watches and offer some of that Rolex quality for less. But on the other hand, I couldn’t help but wonder if one should have waited a bit more and get a Rolex Sub instead...
    For some only the Sub would do. I don’t think I could own the Pelagos as my only good watch, but in addition to the Subs and Speedies etc. it makes sense, and if you never fancied a Rolex or an Omega etc. Then it probably makes even more sense.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    If you have set your sights on a Sub, then nothing else will do as it will be at the back of your mind that should you have waited, or that was the watch you really wanted.

But believe me you would not be disappointed with the Pelagos.
    I love the look and the build is super.

I personally prefer to wear it more than my SD.
    It actually feels more exclusive and I love the fact that most don't even recognize the brand.
    All depends what you want out of a watch, do you want to wear it for you or for others!!!

Other option is to get both :)

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm finding myself more and more drawn towards a Tudor, either a Pelagos or a Black Bay steel.

I agree with the point on the sub too, if you need a sub in your life I would wait and get what you want because it'll never be the same. Was the same for me with my moonwatch.

I have a 36mm 6424 which ticks my Rolex box so I look at the Tudors as something in its own right, and an in house COSC piece for 3ish grand is brilliant value compared to the alternatives.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Bracelet is easy with the correct tool.
    Love to swap mine out for the rubber strap but don't want to make a hash of it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    If you have set your sights on a Sub, then nothing else will do as it will be at the back of your mind that should you have waited, or that was the watch you really wanted.

But believe me you would not be disappointed with the Pelagos.
    I love the look and the build is super.

I personally prefer to wear it more than my SD.
    It actually feels more exclusive and I love the fact that most don't even recognize the brand.
    All depends what you want out of a watch, do you want to wear it for you or for others!!!

Other option is to get both :)

I wear my blue Pelagos a lot more than my Sub. I now find the Sub a bit small, but I would never get rid of it.
    I tend to alternate between the Pelagos and my 42 mm Polar Exp.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I do like the Pelagos. If it had a proper dive bezel I would have picked one up. Fine looking watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    I do like the Pelagos. If it had a proper dive bezel I would have picked one up. Fine looking watch.
    What's not proper about the bezel?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Love to swap mine out for the rubber strap but don't want to make a hash of it!

Just tape up the lugs to avoid scratching and place the watch on a towel to prevent scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    What's not proper about the bezel?
    It has the old style partially-indexed Submariner style bezel. The current dive watch ISO requires the bezel to be fully indexed.

As a diver I prefer a fully indexed bezel, and generally I want an instrument's function to dictate it's design rather than the other way around.

Lots of people like the look of the Rolex style bezel though and if you don't dive with it its not an issue.

Wearing my 2-liner today before this years models are released,

To me, Tudor has not done much right after they released the 1st gen Pelagos so here’s hoping they get their act together at thos years Basel! (Pelagos GMT anyone?)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Wearing my 2-liner today before this years models are released,

To me, Tudor has not done much right after they released the 1st gen Pelagos so here’s hoping they get their act together at thos years Basel! (Pelagos GMT anyone?)
    currently wearing my MK1 Pelagos too, but on the bracelet. Is there a better watch for the money, I think not. Pelagos GMT would be right up my street too.

I have the same two liner and love it for what it is. The newer versions changed nothing that needed fixing in the first place. No one complained about how nice the date integrates with the 3 o clock marker or that it didn’t have enough text on the dial.

It has the old style partially-indexed Submariner style bezel. The current dive watch ISO requires the bezel to be fully indexed.

As a diver I prefer a fully indexed bezel, and generally I want an instrument's function to dictate it's design rather than the other way around.

Lots of people like the look of the Rolex style bezel though and if you don't dive with it its not an issue.
    It's not really an issue if you do, it's a bee in your bonnet!

ISO standard or not, hardly anyone uses a watch as their sole timer for diving and one minute either way is unlikely to be critical to anything (I know in decompression 1 minute is important, but if you're doing that kind of diving you'll have fall back plans and probably more than one accurate digital timer).

You bang on about this nearly every time a bezel that's not fully indexed appears, but it's just YOUR preference not "a diver's" preference.

Me? I just don't like the look of the Pelagos much - I really WANT to, but it always looks a bit cheap to me. The matt dial and bezel insert, the clunky hands, the essay on the dial of the latest version - I'm sure they work well underwater (reading the text would probably make a 10 minute deco stop seem to pass more quickly!), but I've got a perfectly good £130 watch that does that just fine (and I can buy a dozen for under £100), so people claiming this is a 'tool' are deluding only themselves.

A watch at this price point has to look good and be well made.

I don't know enough about them to say if they're well made (I suspect so), but I do know there are plenty of other dives up to the same price point that I'd buy first.

Oddly, this is also one of the few watches I can think of that I prefer in black to blue - The blue one, IMO, is rather horrible!

All personal preference though, of course!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 21st March 2018 at 10:19.

Proper divers use computers/dive timers and have done for a number of years. A watch is at best a back up to at worst an indicator of what time it is.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I’m not a diver and so am happy to be corrected, but I’ve always understood that the reason for this is because:

When used as a ‘bottom timer’ for a period in excess of 15 minutes, then you don’t really need to time it to an exact minute, when it’s pretty obvious what the rough timing will be i.e. half-way between 25 & 30 is around 27 minutes (especially as it’s only a back-up to a proper dive computer for most). Yes, it’s not exact, but then if you’re leaving your predicted air supply to the last 2-3 minutes remaining, then that’s pretty dicey behaviour I’d imagine. In fact, I suspect that many divers would have used it rather differently, setting the pip marker ahead of the minute hand by an exact minute amount (based upon the old dive tables gauging allowed time at a particular depth), thereby allowing it to act as an exact count-down timer, telling a diver when to begin their ascent.

The markings on the first 15 minutes only are more common because those are actually used to time exact minute durations for mandatory decompression stops as divers slowly resurface from deeper dives. Unless doing saturation or some type of technical mixed gas diving the deco stops tend to range from 15 down to 3 minutes. So the arrangement allows for accurate timing of the shorter deco times. In that case, the diver would re-set their bottom-timer setting (which is no-longer required), and use it for the deco phases.

I do understand though why a fully-indexed bezel provides better utility.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    ISO standard or not, hardly anyone uses a watch as their sole timer for diving and one minute either way is unlikely to be critical to anything (I know in decompression 1 minute is important, but if you're doing that kind of diving you'll have fall back plans and probably more than one accurate digital timer).
    Nobody I know uses a watch as their sole timer for a dive, but that's not the point.

I'm narced and thinking slow, the dial looks way deeper underwater because of the refraction so its hard to line up the bezel to dial markings. If you designed a dive tool, this isn't what you would do to a diver.

Look at the run time (R) below in minutes on my dive plan from Sunday. People absolutely do track minute intervals in a staged ascent. How do you do that on a digital readout that isn't displaying seconds? Did that minute display just tick over or is it already 45secs into the current minute?? I might do a fraction of the deco I was supposed to...or I could just use an ISO compliant dive watch to track runtime and deco stops precisely.

My buddy has said that he likes that I use a watch during deco because he knows we nail it every time.

Why defend a design flaw?
    Last edited by bedlam; 21st March 2018 at 11:44.

OK, you've a case there where (assuming you're not narc'd enough to not be able to count minute indexes) it would be useful, but few people would trust a watch to do that (alone) and even less would ever undertake such a dive, let alone wearing a £3000 watch!

I'm not really sure how minute markers let you know you're 45 or 15 seconds into a minute either, if you need that precision, get a timer with seconds display! My recreational computer times stops to the second, which is useful.

However, is 'to the second' critical for any diving? I doubt it, if you're cutting it that fine, you're taking too many risks in my view.

Face it, a £3000 divers watch is a piece of jewellery and it would seem that more people like the 15 minute then per 5 minute markers than the every minute one, otherwise all divers watches would feature them.

The ISO standard isn't exactly new.

Are you right that it doesn't conform to the ISO standard? Possibly (although it states "If the time pre-selecting device is a rotating bezel, it should include a minute scale going up to 60 minutes, with clear markings indicating every 5 minutes", so does that mean the minute markings are optional?).

Does it really matter to anyone (including divers)? Only you seem to be that exorcised about it.

M

Does it really matter to anyone (including divers)? Only you seem to be that exorcised about it.
    Projecting much!

It seems to matter to you. All I said is I like the watch and would have picked one up if the bezel was indexed...that was weeks ago and you are still pinging on it.

And not all expensive dive watches are jewellery.

Projecting much!

It seems to matter to you. All I said is I like the watch and would have picked one up if the bezel was indexed...that was weeks ago and you are still pinging on it.

And not all expensive dive watches are jewellery.

All expensive watches are jewellery, just with a function (or two).

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

All expensive watches are jewellery, just with a function (or two).
    To you.

To you.
    All posts are the view of the poster... That's inevitable.

M

All posts are the view of the poster... That's inevitable.
    Views based in no understanding and no experience may be better not posted.

For instance; you opined earlier that short deco periods must indicate people are taking risks. You have no idea what you are talking about.

In technical diving most people use software that takes a number of variables into account to give you a dive profile. A key issue in play is managing bubble size of non-organic gases in body tissues - nitrogen being a key one. Nitrogen is accumulating and being expressed at different rates in different tissues.

The profile I showed you arises as the programme is trying to get me to ascend with as little risk as possible whilst allowing gasses to leave 'fast tissues' but not allow too much additional accumulation in 'slow' tissues. Using a one minute stop at 26m (for example) allows fast tissues to de-gas more than slow tissues might on-gas at that depth. So that brief stop is a benefit to me as I ascend. There is nothing risky about it. Though the profile does assume that I spent the recommended time on that stop, and each subsequent one. If I follow the plan there should be no drama at all. Having a timer on my wrist makes that easy.

Why you think putting forward a belligerent view on these processes is ok when its clear you know nothing about them is any ones guess.
    Last edited by bedlam; 22nd March 2018 at 08:31.

However at worst you would be around a second out not having the full 60 sec bezel, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    However at worst you would be around a second out not having the full 60 sec bezel, surely.
    You are conflating different things. There is benefit from having the whole bezel marked so you can easily track the runtime and short stops minute to minute. That's harder if only 5 minute periods are marked on the bezel.

Additionally, its a benefit to use a dive bezel to time a short stop because you also have the second hand and can ensure you stop for the correct time. Using a digital readout has the problem that the exact time you arrive at the stop is hard to determine - you could be in the first few seconds of the minute that is showing, half way though, or near the end. You can't tell. Its very easy if you have a watch though.

I recognise that for people not doing this sort of diving there is no issue with how the bezel is marked. Fair enough, but in certain diving applications the bezel markings are useful and there would seem to be little point arguing against that reality in what is supposed to be a dive timer. The fact is there is a dive watch ISO that specifies what is required to call something a dive watch.

Views based in no understanding and no experience may be better not posted.

For instance; you opined earlier that short deco periods must indicate people are taking risks. You have no idea what you are talking about.

In technical diving most people use software that takes a number of variables into account to give you a dive profile. A key issue in play is managing bubble size of non-organic gases in body tissues - nitrogen being a key one. Nitrogen is accumulating and being expressed at different rates in different tissues.

The profile I showed you arises as the programme is trying to get me to ascend with as little risk as possible whilst allowing gasses to leave 'fast tissues' but not allow too much additional accumulation in 'slow' tissues. Using a one minute stop at 26m (for example) allows fast tissues to de-gas more than slow tissues might on-gas at that depth. So that brief stop is a benefit to me as I ascend. There is nothing risky about it. Though the profile does assume that I spent the recommended time on that stop, and each subsequent one. If I follow the plan there should be no drama at all. Having a timer on my wrist makes that easy.

Why you think putting forward a belligerent view on these processes is ok when its clear you know nothing about them is any ones guess.
    I actually said "However, is 'to the second' critical for any diving? I doubt it, if you're cutting it that fine, you're taking too many risks in my view."

I don't see that makes any such claim as "short deco periods must indicate people are taking risks." - You accused me of projecting earlier, but it seems you're happy to invent...

Obviously because I disagree with you on the point of a marked minute scale being critical to a 'divers watch', I'm wrong about everything... It's clear where you stand.

Enough said I think... This has ventured too far from whether the Pelagos is a good watch or not...

M

I opened this thread thinking it might be about the Tudor Pelagos.
    "A man of little significance"

Journeyman
    Nobody, and I mean nobody needs a £5500 watch to use for diving. It is not even close to being justifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by dobbsie View Post
    Nobody, and I mean nobody needs a £5500 watch to use for diving. It is not even close to being justifiable.
    Which watch is £5,500 on a Pelagos thread?

You are conflating different things. There is benefit from having the whole bezel marked so you can easily track the runtime and short stops minute to minute. That's harder if only 5 minute periods are marked on the bezel.

I recognise that for people not doing this sort of diving there is no issue with how the bezel is marked.
    Not diving at all these days I will defer to your use in a real world situation.

I have no preference for the look on the dial, but in better viewing conditions I can use the outer minute track for both minutes and seconds.

Journeyman
    Which watch is £5,500 on a Pelagos thread?

Pretty sure that GS in the photo is around that

When is a £3000-5500 watch justifiable?

Journeyman
    When is a £3000-5500 watch justifiable?
    It isn’t! Nothing wrong with having a nice watch, but let’s not pretend we need them.

It isn’t! Nothing wrong with having a nice watch, but let’s not pretend we need them.
    I didn't. All I asked for was an idexed bezel.