closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Turntable to amplifier for speakers! advice please?

Turntable to amplifier for speakers! advice please?

Good evening all

After a bit of advice please?

Basically, Ive just bought a cheap turntable.........Primarilly to "record" my old vinyl onto U.S.B./MP3 etc etc!

I have some old (but good!) Sony speakers. The turntable has a U.S.B. slot on it..It must have some sort of pre? amp on it....cos I connected the old speaker wires onto the R.C.A. cables....and you can hear the music...............just not very loud at all!

There is no "volume" knob on the turntable......so I assume the loudest it will play is what Ive just heard!!

I "assume"? I can just buy a cheap amplifier, then connect the R.C.A. cables into the amplifier..then! connect my speakers into the amplifier?

I "used"!! to be "into"! hifi/stereos............but that was back in the 80s!! Im well out of my depth now!

As I say, I got the cheap turntable to mainly convert my old vinyl (lots of old reggae! etc!) to digital...but I may as well get use out of it, and listen to my old vinyl .

Would something like the link below, be what Im looking for? Open for any and all suggestions! I dont want to spend lots of money...........Many thanks!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skytec-SPL-...amplifier+hifi

Grand Master
    sounds like you need a phono stage between the turntable and your amp, something like this: assuming you don't want to spend a lot. make sure your turntable arm is properly set up too if it's adjustable, those chap usb decks are notorious for wrecking precious vinyl at the cheaper end of the market.
    https://www.richersounds.com/btech-m...c-pre-amp.html

if you start to pick up the vinyl itch again, get something like this - decent deck for not a lot of cash. It's a slippery slope though- worse than watches!
    https://www.richersounds.com/project-elemental-red.html
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    If you want a really cheap little amp then I can thoroughly recommend the Lepy one on Amazon. I use it for my computer and it is surprisingly loud with decent enough quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEPY-2024A-...ereo+amplifier

The link is to a power amp. You would need also need a pre-amp to use that. You'd be better looking for an old integrated on eBay.

As above, you need a phono pre amp for line in or a amplifier with a specific phono channel.

Thanks for all your help.

Im currently looking online for an integrated phono pre amplifier?

I "assume"!? I need a phono pre-amp with R.C.A. and speaker wire! connections with a "volume"! knob/button on it?!

I really am out of touch these days with stereos! I used to spend £100s in the 80s too! Now Im totally out of my depth!

I would appreciate if anybody could attach a link of the exact set-up I need!!!

Many thanks!

Best to link the record deck you bought.
    I guess if it already has a usb out then the phono outputs will already be at line level....

Quote Originally Posted by swisstony View Post
    Best to link the record deck you bought.
    I guess if it already has a usb out then the phono outputs will already be at line level....
    Doh!!!

Why didnt I think of that!! Cheers!

This is the one I bought..

https://www.johnlewis.com/lenco-l-85...318?colour=Red

Master
    From the What Hifi review...

“Thanks to the built-in phono stage, you can plug the L-85 into your stereo amplifier.”

It seems the Lenco Turntable has a built in phono stage, so you just need an integrated amplifier, if budget is the main concern, and you dont need high volumes, then to start with, this Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 would be a good start:

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/a...z-am1-blk.html

Can't go wrong for £50 new!

Many thanks to all who have replied..

Looks like I have to go shopping again today!!

Craftsman
    eBay or Gumtree are great for good old hifi gear at very low cost, well worth a look to see what's available close to you.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Would I get a "decent"...ish amp for say £100?

Also any particular "brands" people recomend?

Thanks again....been looking online...so much choice!!

Craftsman
    Another choice, bit left field; some of the modern stuff has phono stages.
    E.g. I have a Yamaha r-n602 which is a "digital receiver" (Spotify, airplay, musiccast etc).
    https://europe.yamaha.com/en/product...l#product-tabs
    But it also has a phone stage (see bottom of features under "other notable")
    It has that 90's look to boot !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Would I get a "decent"...ish amp for say £100?

Also any particular "brands" people recomend?

Thanks again....been looking online...so much choice!!
    If you have Richer Sounds or Sevenoaks Sound & Vision (or any other Hi-Fi shop) near to you I'd suggest a visit, tell them what kit you currently have and look at/listen to what you can get for your budget.
    (You may able to take your turntable and speakers to try out if you call first).
    Last edited by bonzo697; 26th November 2017 at 12:23.

Craftsman
    Shenzhen Audio's SMSL SA50. Very good little amp, very cheap. Sold on Amazon.

Master
    A turntable outputs a very weak signal so you need an amplifier to boost it up to 'normal rca' levels. Some preamps or integrated amps have this built in with a specific 'phono' input but most modern ones do not hence the need for a seperate 'phono-stage'. A power amp will amplify a given signal by a set amount, A pre amp will allow you to vary the input to a power amp and select different inputs. An integrated amp does all this in one box.
    My recommendation for £100 would be to look on e-bay, shpock, gumtree, etc. for an old 80's integrated from Technics (class AA preferably), sansui, marantz, etc. 99.9% of these will have phono inputs and you get a lot of bang for your buck.
    I personally use a Technics SU-X860 which cost me £40 off gumtree, sounds very nice in my office and has phono inputs.
    As with most things, the sky is the limit and it's a dark, deep, expensive rabbithole if you truly get 'into' vinyl / hi-fi.

I can thoroughly recommend the Roth VA4 Active Speakers (but I would say that as i work for Roth...!!)

Decent active speakers with a phono-pre-amp stage inbuilt so can be used for turntables without a pre-amp & , of course, with.

I can give a trade price if you are interested - just pop me a PM - that goes for anybody who maybe interested.

Reviewed here:

https://www.whathifi.com/roth/va4/review

Cheers

Paul

Many thanks for all the replies.

I ended up ordering this Shenzhen Audio's SMSL SA50.

I have a feeling though..........That I will end up with something else!!

I was really "into" listening to music all through the 70s and 80s.........Then marriage and kids etc took my time... I think , my interest will be re-kindled.........so i will probably be getting better equipment eventually!

Thanks again for allyour help.

Thanks again for all the help.

The amp. arrived, and it does the job nicely!!

Good to hear some "proper"! music again!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again for all the help.

The amp. arrived, and it does the job nicely!!

Good to hear some "proper"! music again!