closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Skywalker X-33 - battery change

Omega Skywalker X-33 - battery change

The time has finally arrived: after just over a year of ownership my X-33 has started giving me the five-second "battery's dying" signal. Literally 25 months since the date on the warranty card, incidentally, so the advertised two-year battery life seems pretty much spot on (accuracy in general seems to be a strong suit: I've timed this since purchase and it is running 7.2 seconds fast since I last set the time. 378 days ago. Wow).

I'm not enormously keen to send it to Omega for months and pay a million pounds just to have the battery changed (I may exaggerate, obv) so - is it a case of DIY or can anyone suggest a way to get the battery changed faster than the "full service" option? Thanks, all. :)

I've been pondering this very question and intend to do it myself when the time comes. There are some Gen1 and Gen2 tutorials somewhere that I was going to use as a starting point, I'll try to dig them out.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    I have a blog on my username how to change the X-33 mk2. That could help.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have a blog on my username how to change the X-33 mk2. That could help.
    Thanks, Chris_in_the_UK's pictorial was one of the tutorials that I was thinking of (needs Chrome with the Photobucket fix to see the images): http://forum.tz-uk.com/entry.php?361...ange-pictorial

I've since found this, regarding the Skywalker: https://omegaforums.net/threads/x-33...-change.57353/

Please let us know how you get on, OP.

Haha, "like buying a Ferrari and changing your own oil" - I have a Porsche and do much of my own work on it, so maybe I'm just that kind of person...

Many thanks for the links and thoughts, gentlemen. I have some screwdrivers etc (and a suitable battery I think) so I'll give it a whirl. Tune in next week for the inevitable tale of comical woe.

Don't want to discourage a tinkerer like myself but it can be VERY frustrating changing the battery on the Gen 2 because of that darn "chime". The battery has to be placed "just right" in its "socket" or else the chime will act up, regardless of the tightening of the case. I found out the hard way three years ago...In fact it's left such a bad memory that I've left it on EOL since...March. I guess I'm giving the EOL feature a thorough test ;-)

I changed mine myself on my Gen-1. You do need a very fine tipped screwdriver for the caseback screws, but the hardest part was getting hands and digital time matching. There's a video on Youtube showing how to do it all, plus another one showing Astronauts on the ISS doing it in zero G which adds a whole new level of fun stopping small parts going missing!

I had the 5 second jump on my Skywalker this week and took it to a local watchmaker for a battery replacement. Upon collection when I pushed the back light button it began the 5 second jumps again.

I was told it needed to go back to Omega as there was nothing else he could do. A couple of calls to ADs both came back with £130 return to Omega quotes. I looked on the Omega website for service centres and found my nearest was in Norwich. A quick email resulted in a quote of £45 for battery change and pressure test, drove over the next day and watch was sorted in a couple of hours.

Mine has started the EOL, so I’ll need to get it sorted soon :(
    It's just a matter of time...

They say the Good Lord looks after fools, drunks and small children. I qualify on two grounds, apparently: it was entirely straightforward.

1.2mm screwdriver to remove the screws from the caseback. The inner cover took a little encouragement to loosen, but popped off with a tiny prod from the screwdriver.

The battery is sprung in pretty tightly; you need to locate the crown release (helpfully, this is indicated by an arrow) and use something fine (I used the tip of a plastic pair of tweezers) to push the battery back against the spring on the opposite side. It then pops up over the lip that holds it in place.

Replacement was a firm push down to seat it. Buttoned up the case, pull and push the crown to take it out of the test mode where all the LCD segments are activated, set UTC and then pull the crown to re-sync the hands. Took me about 10 mins.

Things to watch out for:
    1) there is a plastic membrane under the battery. It is a swine to re-locate if you move it.
    2) there is a tiny copper spring under the battery. I was lucky and didn’t disturb it - but I can see it being impossible to replace if it pops out.
    3) align the screw holes on the caseback carefully by eye, and only turn the first screw in enough to engage the threads.
    4) you can then shoogle the caseback about slightly to align the other holes perfectly.
    5) you definitely need tweezers to place the screws before tightening them!

hope that helps!

Brilliant, thanks.

Grand Master
    The problems people have when changing batteries are due to inexperience in working with small components. Use of a magnifier is a must, even with good eyesight the jobs a whole lot easier when you use magnification to see what you’re doing. Good lighting and a tray to work on help a lot too.

Paul

Master
    It’s not too hard. Just done my Gen 1.5 X-33. Just make sure you have a small enough screwdriver to loosen the outer caseback screws without mauling them.

Master
    And a handy tip... leave the screws in the outer caseback.

Use a piece of blutak to lift the caseback off and rest it on another blob of the stuff - one smaller than the caseback’s diameter.

No need to fiddle with getting screws in and out.

Not that much mither, to be fair - 10 minutes' work and the satisfaction of a job well done. Plus, I didn't have to subject my watch to the tender mercies of Omega's service centre, and I get to have it back before Christmas... ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soot1e View Post
    I had the 5 second jump on my Skywalker this week and took it to a local watchmaker for a battery replacement. Upon collection when I pushed the back light button it began the 5 second jumps again.

I was told it needed to go back to Omega as there was nothing else he could do. A couple of calls to ADs both came back with £130 return to Omega quotes. I looked on the Omega website for service centres and found my nearest was in Norwich. A quick email resulted in a quote of £45 for battery change and pressure test, drove over the next day and watch was sorted in a couple of hours.
    Cheers, wife's omega needs a new battery so will pull up that list.

Pinned

Making me reconsider my upcoming X-33 purchase now...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Making me reconsider my upcoming X-33 purchase now...
    Is that because its a used one? Seeing these threads now makes me wary and I'd really like to try a Skywalker.

Double edged sword for me. While I applaud those who are willing to 'have a go', I've seen far too many strap changing marks and chewed bracelet screws to have confidence in everyone's ability. Maybe not in the OP's case as he clearly has some mechanical nouse. That's by no means the case for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by MartC View Post
    Is that because its a used one? Seeing these threads now makes me wary and I'd really like to try a Skywalker.

Double edged sword for me. While I applaud those who are willing to 'have a go', I've seen far too many strap changing marks and chewed bracelet screws to have confidence in everyone's ability. Maybe not in the OP's case as he clearly has some mechanical nouse. That's by no means the case for everyone!
    No, this is for a watch that will be a long term keeper.

I've been trying to decide between the X-33 and the classic Moonwatch. On balance I prefer the X-33 and would definitely get more wear out of it. However as a long term ownership prospect, the Moonwatch is looking a bit better...

No, this is for a watch that will be a long term keeper.

I've been trying to decide between the X-33 and the classic Moonwatch. On balance I prefer the X-33 and would definitely get more wear out of it. However as a long term ownership prospect, the Moonwatch is looking a bit better...
    If you prefer the X-33 then go for it. I can't see how the classic moonwatch is a better long term proposition? Surely the X-33 is much rarer and cheaper to service even if you send it back to Omega to make sure it's not mangled at battery change time.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    If you prefer the X-33 then go for it. I can't see how the classic moonwatch is a better long term proposition? Surely the X-33 is much rarer and cheaper to service even if you send it back to Omega to make sure it's not mangled at battery change time.
    New battery every 2 years vs service every 10 or so? I won't be wearing it daily, so it won't need any more than that.

Master
    New battery every 2 years vs service every 10 or so? I won't be wearing it daily, so it won't need any more than that.
    Try the Moonwatch on and see if you like it. At least they are regularly available throughout the UK.
    My 2p is buy Moonwatch first as its such a classic. Look maybe for late 90’s models for best value as Tritium marker models are starting to lift and 60’s / 70’s well you know the story.
    Then go for an x-33 when funds allow.

Very helpful pointers here. I can't say that the necessity of a battery change worries me too much.