closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another what bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Can't answer your question, but have you considered one of these bad boys?

Have you thought about turning the fork and bars round the right way?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Have you thought about turning the fork and bars round the right way?
    Haha... people who have been around these parts for a while may remember this... it was quite funny :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Haha... people who have been around these parts for a while may remember this... it was quite funny :)
    Please, please, pretty please a link. Missed that.

In a moment going out with the family on the bicycles. Me and my son on the roadracers, the resident female on the gravel bike. The plan is to g to an x-mas market further up the mountain. The least hard route is over some 5 kms of reasonably ok dirt road. Rather gloomy, clouded weather but not raining, not cold nor hot. Good cycling weather realy.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Please, please, pretty please a link. Missed that.
    The fun starts here, Cilla

I still can't work out whether you fixed the handlebar problem or simply photo-shopped it...
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I still can't work out whether you fixed the handlebar problem or simply photo-shopped it...
    Tbh, the handlebars turned out t be the least of my problems.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Tony!
    Entertaining indeed. also makes one appreciate what growing up in the Netherlands means in respect to cycling and bicycles.

About clipless:
    Your bike came with toe clips. Those came/come also with aleather strap to bind the shoe/foot in to them, onto the pedal.
    For decennia that was the only way to keep your peet firmly attached to the pedals; with toe clips; toe CLIPS.

Then the idea of cleats hooking up into a mechnism intergrated in the pedal was thought of. It eliminated the toe clip, the clips, hence clipless was the name. At the time nobody could foresee that toe clips would be forgotten and that a need for nó attachement would evolve.

Now fast forward to the development of fully suspended mtb´s hurtling down mountains and we see flat pedals without any trap for the foot. To maintain good contact studs can be screwed into the pedals and shoes with grippy flat soles to match are designed; Five Ten is the prime example brand.

That is what I want for my (future) mtb. Flat pedals with studs and Five Ten freerider shoes.

A friedn of mine; we used to go share a van/camoer when we rode in the enduro (motorcycle) championship here. He has XT Di2 on his bike. It is 2x and programmed to sort the shifting itself. Man that is trick!!
    He basically has close ratio 1x.
    Over budget for me but still awesome. Does confirm the wisdom of buying a good frame/fork set that will accomodate later upgrades.

Btw, here two photos I took two days ago when out on my son´s mtb.
    The one in of the path I went down. It is >30% on average.
    The other is form the opposite side of the valley, zoomijn in a bit on the path: It is the straight line down from the pine forest.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Still stumping around on my son´s BT (with bottom end Suntour fork and rim brakes) and the odd test bike. Latest on the latter was my friend Manolo´s fully sprung ´17 Orbea.
    Though there is obviously no comparison on any level, the fully sprung did not push the buttons and the weight really bothers me.

Mind, I started half a decade before this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyrlEE9AV58
    (from 7:30 they get offroad)

Although I am aware that I should not, still wondering about higher end fully rigid

Still stumping around on my son´s BT (with bottom end Suntour fork and rim brakes) and the odd test bike. Latest on the latter was my friend Manolo´s fully sprung ´17 Orbea.
    Though there is obviously no comparison on any level, the fully sprung did not push the buttons and the weight really bothers me.

Mind, I started half a decade before this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyrlEE9AV58
    (from 7:30 they get offroad)

Although I am aware that I should not, still wondering about higher end fully rigid
    The full suspension Orbea I posted a picture of for you weighs under 8 kilos

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The full suspension Orbea I posted a picture of for you weighs under 8 kilos

That is the case of what I would like, I can´t afford ;-)

and also I think no shocks is shockingly simple beauty

Last edited by Huertecilla; 15th December 2017 at 21:20.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The plot thinkens further

Found potentially nice used bike for sale nearby.
    Dropped by to have a look this morning.
    Turns out to be the private bike of a small bike shop owner. Not very much use, perfect maintenance and all original save for on oval plate. The only ´bad´ is that the he put protecting plastic on all critial areas.
    On the extra protection Contis it weighs 9.1 kilos.

https://lewycressy.wordpress.com/bik...nced-27-5-sl0/

Last edited by Huertecilla; 18th December 2017 at 18:36.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Searching for info on some components a link to a soon to be launched bike popped up.
    It is the Deviate Guide and it has a really!! neat solution to several ´issues´:

This bike does not suit my purposes and also it is piced beyond my horizon but it is another real interesting practical, ´affordable´real world follow up on the theme started by the Honda RN01.
    I am in awe and hope it meets with success.
    If it were a bike from a main stream brand it would be all over the interweb and magazines.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 19th December 2017 at 11:52.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Was at the coast and dropped by bike shop mostly specialized in DH bikes. Mán what prices!! They were building up a SantaCruz Vivid special for delivery; 13k Euros.
    My gf got all giggly when she saw the prices on the bikes in the shop and the tags on spares.
    A miniscule carbon chain guard so light the two bolt need to be kept in the holes so it does not float off; 140 Euros.
    When I pointed out, explained dropper posts and those weigh extra, cost, she started laughing out loud.
    We went next door for two coffee with extra virgin oil on toasted bread for 3,80 total.

This morning at coffee I realized hów high the price level has shot up. 13k Euros is nearly thirty thousand old guilders. When I moved out here, that bought you a quite nice new car! Mind you, that was this century.

Made an offer on the XTC.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Magnesium, titanium, carbon galore

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Took some time but have the bike I want for the budget I had. Well stretched it a bit but still close enough.
    A well maintained not much used Giant XTC SL 0.
    This model
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/nl/xt...-27dot5-0-2015
    The same one as in the photo above.

Just weighed the front wheel.
    With disc and ´protection´ anti-punture tire; 1585 gramm. Níce!
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 3rd January 2018 at 23:03.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Whats that thing on your head Cilla......Less than 3 years ago you were telling us all how pointless cycle helmets were and gave us a overinflated sense of protection?

I could multi quote you but I can't be bothered.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Whats that thing on your head Cilla......Less than 3 years ago you were telling us all how pointless cycle helmets were and gave us a overinflated sense of protection?

Nor could you be bothered to read in context, conceptually apparently.

Like a parachute the mind works best when open.

This btw is a ´Parachute´ a heavy duty downhill helmet and it prooves my point; it is a proper helmet. I also have a face guard with it which I fit when going for more complicated trails or descends. Same thing knee guards.

This btw is a ´Parachute´ a heavy duty downhill helmet and it prooves my point; it is a proper helmet. I also have a face guard with it which I fit when going for more complicated trails or descends. Same thing knee guards.

Originally Posted by OldHooky
    Can't say that on the couple of occasions I've been knocked off and hit my head, ending up with stitches, that I've thought "thank f**k I wasn't wearing a helmet".

I suggest you learn how to ride a bike in traffic as the cycling helmet is only a token protection in traffic as is is not intended as such in traffic at all.

Again;
    The helmet only is false security in traffic.
    Safety in traffic comes from behavior. If the motorists behave badly, the cyclist should behave even better.
    The government is seriously lacking it its role and poiting at helmets will only serve to make that wórse.

Yes, cycle helmets áre dangerous for cyclist.
    Those who chose to ignore that, need protective glasses as well. They are safe no so must be good?!
    The college of optricians will be happy to support the safety argument as théy see the effects of not wearing protective glasses.

Remember when Jan Jansen won the Tour. Everybody was amazed, éxtra impressed, as he was wore glassess.
    See? You can even win the Tour with them, lets make them mandatory so cyclist can see the motorists about to clobber them overall léss easily....

Right. Did you guys know that in the Netherlands it was seriously suggested that for over 55 helmets should be mandatory for cyclists ánd joggers?
    Statistics show that the chances of a fall increase with age and thus the protective value of a helmet.
    I hear echos of australia. One might think that it is a con to increase the profits of the hospitals/insurers as the health costs will go up spectacularly if 55+ stops cycling/jogging.

It's a helmet Cilla, it doesn't look like a heavy duty down hill skid lift to me, if so its still posing a risk to you, its impeding your view, its heavy and not necessary.
    Full of BS.....aren't downhill cycle helmets all full face or complete rather than just perched on top??????

When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 4th January 2018 at 23:01.

As to bike helmets making them more rugged makes them heavier, putting more strain on the neck. Causing more neck injury.
    Aren't you concerned about neck injuries anymore either?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    Aren't you concerned about neck injuries anymore either?
    At the risk it will go whoosh:

Risk = chance of an incident x seriousness of potential consequences.

Hence noooooooo cycling thingamies for daily use in thé cycling nation per excellence ánd proper helmets for rock bashing both making perfect sense.

Right.
    Meanwhile looks like it is going to snow. That will be proper fun, going higher up in the mountains. Good thing I found the hard knee protection too.

Wishing you a great cycling weekend too

also in Spain now it is law to wear a helmet when riding a bike I suspect 'cilla was avoiding a run in with the fuzz?

Nice Bike by the way - you've done well - can't go wrong with a Giant - though a larger rotor on the front may cool down quicker on summer long downhill escapes,....

a cycling Helmet is not going to save your life - but it may save a few cuts and scratches on the minor falls (like when trying to unclip at traffic lights and failiing miserably)
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 5th January 2018 at 12:56.

At the risk it will go whoosh:

Risk = chance of an incident x seriousness of potential consequences.

Hence noooooooo cycling thingamies for daily use in thé cycling nation per excellence ánd proper helmets for rock bashing both making perfect sense.

Right.
    Meanwhile looks like it is going to snow. That will be proper fun, going higher up in the mountains. Good thing I found the hard knee protection too.

Wishing you a great cycling weekend too
    You have a risk of an incident every time you get on a bike. in fact you have a risk of any incident with whatever you do in life.
    But its good to see you going back on your own advise, seeing the light and taking your personal safety seriously, and for that we can all say ​well done that man!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

another great fun ride today

Complete with full face helmet and hard scale knee protectors.

When ambling into town on the no-speeder prefer no protective gear.

Horse for courses or in this case, protection matching the risk, from condom to helmet.

Have fun guys.
    I sure am.

That met parachute helmet is not a downhill helmet, the new ones are ASTM rated and people use them for enduro but yours is an old model and I have seen one of those shatter into the bits (the chin guard) in a face plant.
    The old style like yours stopped production in 2012 so maybe it is due for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    That met parachute helmet is not a downhill helmet, the new ones are ASTM rated and people use them for enduro but yours is an old model and I have seen one of those shatter into the bits (the chin guard) in a face plant.
    The old style like yours stopped production in 2012 so maybe it is due for a replacement.
    Yeh but we need to go along with the Jackanory because is fits his post back in 2014.

Dont see the point of those knee pads to be honest. What you need to do is formulate safe cycling habits to negate you falling off.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What you need to do is formulate safe cycling habits to negate you falling off.
    Oh my. Why would I want to formulate sáfe cycling habits?!
    I want to enjoy cycling
    Off road pushing my limits, scaring myself are key elements for me. Imo áll spirited cycling means you WILL take a tumble.
    I live in the mountains and mountain is a different name for pile of rocks really.
    Putting the two together means I wíll tumble down down one meaning rock bashing.*
    As that has such a high probability I wear protection. Since I do not go thát fast, nor am taking competion risks, the MET will do nicely.
    If I get round to fast descending from the Veleta to Capileira I will get myself a better rated hard top and don my moto-x under shirt with hard protection. This is a neat example of the Peltzman effect btw.; no way would I thínk of this without the protective stuff.

Off to take a shower and a change of attire now; going out for some different kind of risk behaviour
    The Peltzman effect at work again; no such thing as safe sex. Even, if you´d happen to be married, with the spouse it is very relative. Still, soooo much fun.

Anyway, do as you see fit Sirs.
    Me, I like líving, feeling alive hence me not sitting on the couch watching boring the stuff on the telly allowed by the spouse a few meters away like most blokes my age and use protection to improve the odds.

Oh my. Why would I want to formulate sáfe cycling habits?!
    I want to enjoy cycling
    Off road pushing my limits, scaring myself are key elements for me. Imo áll spirited cycling means you WILL take a tumble.
    I live in the mountains and mountain is a different name for pile of rocks really.
    Putting the two together means I wíll tumble down down one meaning rock bashing.*
    As that has such a high probability I wear protection. Since I do not go thát fast, nor am taking competion risks, the MET will do nicely.
    If I get round to fast descending from the Veleta to Capileira I will get myself a better rated hard top and don my moto-x under shirt with hard protection. This is a neat example of the Peltzman effect btw.; no way would I thínk of this without the protective stuff.

Off to take a shower and a change of attire now; going out for some different kind of risk behaviour
    The Peltzman effect at work again; no such thing as safe sex. Even, if you´d happen to be married, with the spouse it is very relative. Still, soooo much fun.

Anyway, do as you see fit Sirs.
    Me, I like líving, feeling alive hence me not sitting on the couch watching boring the stuff on the telly allowed by the spouse a few meters away like most blokes my age and use protection to improve the odds.
    I really really really don't care however, the irony in your current pics and previous posts is staggering.
    Like I said though Cilla good to see you're staying safe with all of your safety gear.
    Have a fantastic, safe sex weekend with your lover.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks

Got back at the farm 04.30 and up early again as the animals have no idea of Sundays.
    Was the plan anyway since with snow forecast the water drainage needs be watched and also it would be great to go out in the snow at the Costa de Sol . And... yesss!!!!

Bottom line is my thanks to the contibutors.

All in all very good added perspective. I think I would have bought a full rigid and are content with this lightweight hardtail plus top notch fork.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I really really really don't care however, the irony in your current pics and previous posts is staggering.
    Imo there is none.
    My views and actions are totally coherent. I am sorry that you missed the points. By all means read the previous ones again.

I have experienced it all before with respect to horse riding. Same views of being totally against mandatory helmet use, the Peltzman pitfal, not wearing a helmet when parading on fiestas/ferias yet wearing heavy duty full monty stuff and then some when point to point racing through the mountains on my stallion.

Like I said though Cilla good to see you're staying safe with all of your safety gear.
    The safety gear enables risk behavior; increases the risk!
    I am doing way more risky stuff than the gear reduces the potential consequences.
    It sees me fúrther away from safe

Have a fantastic, safe sex weekend with your lover.
    A weeee bit more complicated than that and with same safety paradoxes, but thanks indeed

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

Cycling a lót. Just about every day:
    Good weather; road bike.
    Less perfect weather; mtb.

The latter is proving to be a gem.
    Still sorting out and adjusting little things as I get more accustomed to it and getting faster. It is really inspiring confidence and it does my climbing performance a power of good.
    I was a bit worried about the 1x but it is simply GREAT.
    The only gripe that developed is that the chain tends to jump off the top of the chainring during rough jumps at high speed while on the smallest sprocket. As I am getting faster it has now become an issue which needs adressing. Probably just chain tension.

Yesterday did the 2014 Mtb-marathon championship route here in the valley. The weather was horrific with a proper gale blowing yet my time would have put me midfield. None too shabby for a pensioner.
    The bike truely is a joy to steer when hurtling down the mountains at speed.
    I am very pleased that I went for quicker steering 27,5 and when the rubbers wear out, at the front I will replace the ´Proteccion´ one with the lighter normal variant to make it quicker still.

Anyway, the Lidl had bike stuff today.
    Went for a warm jacket and socks for my son but had his mom with me so...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thouroughly enjoying the superlight XTC, I have been riding it a lót. Did several of the mtb marathon routes here in the valley and to my surprise the averages on the app were quite acceptable.
    So entered for the Desafio of this year. A bit jumping in at the deep end as it is the most challenging of the year but it is só convenient; it passes over the path of my farm!
    Joined the local club, received the details of the route and rode it several times.
    To get to know the route best, I volunteered to help put the markers out on the most difficult sections.
    Only a week to go and I wálked the most dangerous section twice with the dogs.
    Then come the rain. And more rain and more. So much so that first the section through the olive groves need be changed for a longer but less sticky mud alternative.
    Come today and... the 80 liters fallen during the night have made it too complicated, difficult and dangerous.
    The river crossing near my farm are still just doable for me firmly on my long legs

but lighter andalucians with short legs.... no.
    The club took the wise decesion to ask the Cycling Federation to cancel for the 4th and provide an alternative date; the 18th.

On the one hand I am disappointed but on the other relieved. Gives me two weeks more to prepare and also it is two weeks less likely to be below zero on the highestparts of the route. Have enough large bruises from that

Last edited by Huertecilla; 1st March 2018 at 21:07.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Btw, see the differences and note the tree washed away and another toppled into view:

Meanwhile still raining and more expected untill at least thursday next week so taking safety measures. Strained my back filling, hauling sand bags. The relaivity of safety again; for sure hurt my back to reduce the damages of a possible flooding

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ok, it is a bit above budget and the wron moment but I simply could nót pass over this one at the ludicrous old stock flogging discounts here to replace my son´s old city hybrid

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/nl/xt...-27dot5-1-2016

He does not know so I am having great pre-fun about the two of us cycling up to the shop on some unimportant excuse and then back with him on the new bike.

Cilla, did you watch the Andalusian bike race this week?
    Last edited by adrianw; 4th March 2018 at 12:53.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Cilla, did you watch the Andalusian bike race this week?
    Nope.
    Been busy with water management and it was also plain unwise to travel without a nééd.

Can´t have been much fun the race. Just about everything else was cancelled because of too difficult, even dangerous going. After all, apart from the front runners, the goal is having fun on a bike.
    From what I heard the last day route was changed and shortened for same.

Will have a look on the web in a moment.

p.s. Right, as I thought. Not the last day; cancelled day 5 even.
    I feel very, véry sorry for all involved because of the expenses, efforts and all. Like I wrote; apart from the pro front runners, it is lot of money in order to have fún and this cannot have been much fun.

p.p.s. with another week of rain in the forecast, at léast till saturday, nothing much will be run next weekend either. Without the best part of the week dry, it will be hard here. I cannot see them cancel again unless it rains hard again so a sticky, slippy desafio it will be.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 4th March 2018 at 13:49.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Any bike made by Orange gets my vote!
    Applying Swiss watch norms we now have six of those and a seventh was all handmade in Belgium.

Nope.
    Been busy with water management and it was also plain unwise to travel without a nééd.

Can´t have been much fun the race. Just about everything else was cancelled because of too difficult, even dangerous going. After all, apart from the front runners, the goal is having fun on a bike.
    From what I heard the last day route was changed and shortened for same.

Will have a look on the web in a moment.

p.s. Right, as I thought. Not the last day; cancelled day 5 even.
    I feel very, véry sorry for all involved because of the expenses, efforts and all. Like I wrote; apart from the pro front runners, it is lot of money in order to have fún and this cannot have been much fun.

p.p.s. with another week of rain in the forecast, at léast till saturday, nothing much will be run next weekend either. Without the best part of the week dry, it will be hard here. I cannot see them cancel again unless it rains hard again so a sticky, slippy desafio it will be.
    My nephew came fourth in masters, he's 40 now, i hope it stops raining as I'm there in two weeks.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My nephew came fourth in masters, he's 40 now, i hope it stops raining as I'm there in two weeks.
    WOW!!! Impressive.
    I am Masters 60 and am quite content just gétting there :-)

In two weeks it will be ok.
    Usually not the dryest period of the year but since it seems to be raining till incl. the 12th, it is bound to be nice enough. Green too and no dust so the best really.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    also in Spain now it is law to wear a helmet when riding a bike I suspect 'cilla was avoiding a run in with the fuzz?

Nice Bike by the way - you've done well - can't go wrong with a Giant - though a larger rotor on the front may cool down quicker on summer long downhill escapes,....

a cycling Helmet is not going to save your life - but it may save a few cuts and scratches on the minor falls (like when trying to unclip at traffic lights and failiing miserably)
    I agree, that's about the limit of their use. That's all they're designed for. I do use a helmet on every ride but not because i think that it'll save my life when I'm driven through at 70mph by a driver texting. I use it to increase my, or my dependants' chance in the event of my death, of getting justice in the courts. To keep my head warm & for aerodynamics. And for protection in the event of a very minor fall as described. I accept the increased risk of getting cut up & being passed too close that wearing a helmet can lead to. http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/articles/...ing110906.html

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm there in two weeks.
    Will you be driving up to enjoy, perhaps even enter the Desafio? It is open to international allcomers and it is possible to enter on the day. It is only a tenner more, just be a bit early.
    Free showers, food, kit, bike wash etc.

It is a véry hospitable environment here, welcoming forrinners ;-)
    Sofar only four non nationals entered.

The event, although seriously heavy and counting for the championship, is apart from the front runners about fun amongst friends.
    Because it is a difficult one and the weather not making it any easier it is not a massive event either.

Hope to see you!
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 5th March 2018 at 12:25.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Well spotted.
    No summer temps needed. The front one already warped the first fast long downhill. Only a bit but off putting nontheless. It is distracting and erodes confidence.
    Ordered two Hope rotors. Same diameter but of floating design and half more meat to the friction area.

Last edited by Huertecilla; 5th March 2018 at 12:34.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Btw AdrianW, it is a very apt event under this heading; basically any well made bike with good front suspension will do, regardless of wheel size. Ok, mayby not a dedicated DH bike.

The route has everything so you win some, you lose some. Even among the front runners there is a mix of hardtails and fully sprung bikes.
    Tires ditto. The only wróng one is fast rolling hard pack racer.

So, load some bikes in the van and come have fun!!!

Btw AdrianW, it is a very apt event under this heading; basically any well made bike with good front suspension will do, regardless of wheel size. Ok, mayby not a dedicated DH bike.

The route has everything so you win some, you lose some. Even among the front runners there is a mix of hardtails and fully sprung bikes.
    Tires ditto. The only wróng one is fast rolling hard pack racer.

So, load some bikes in the van and come have fun!!!
    We will see, remember he is a pro rider,

Banned
    Brilliant:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    We will see, remember he is a pro rider,
    But I was adressing YOÚ Adrian.
    Yoú come and have fun!!

Plenty enough pros present and they do not really count as they are in a class of their own way out in front.
    The front runners will be already an hour at the finish at the cut off moment halfway where competiters will be sent over the tarmac shortcut to the village.
    My first goal is to beat the cut off.
    Thén finish.
    Lastly comes finish as fast as possible.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Those discs are sátisfying! Just like racing motorcycle discs scaled down.
    The steel ring is about twice the meat of those I took off and the duralmin carrier keeps the weight down. Front and rear are only 8 and 5 gramms heavier.
    The buttons are véry good quality and properly shimmed.

With the radial calipers direct mounted it is a lean version of the radial Brembo with 320 Oro disc set up on the old racing motorcycle I kept. That was the perfect stopping gear for over twice the weight from five times the speed. It gives me a lót of confidence.

Those discs are sátisfying! Just like racing motorcycle discs scaled down.
    The steel ring is about twice the meat of those I took off and the duralmin carrier keeps the weight down. Front and rear are only 8 and 5 gramms heavier.
    The buttons are véry good quality and properly shimmed.

With the radial calipers direct mounted it is a lean version of the radial Brembo with 320 Oro disc set up on the old racing motorcycle I kept. That was the perfect stopping gear for over twice the weight from five times the speed. It gives me a lót of confidence.
    I always thought floating discs on a pushbike are more for looks, do they really get hot enough

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I always thought floating discs on a pushbike are more for looks, do they really get hot enough
    More than.
    Even on chilly days I get both rear and front colouring beautifully on the spider legs like a titanium exhaust headers.
    On both the road bike and the mtb. Contrary to what one might expect, the latter even quicker; the knobblies have quite good grip on softer surfaces and the steep inclines make the gravity really pull whereas there less cooling air.

The discs on my bikes are relatively small which is ok for me at no weight penalty but I can totally imagine that faster riders nééd larger discs, that 200 mm. fully floating is no luxury on a dh bike.
    Floaters are défintely not just for looks!