closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Day skipper online

Day skipper online

Hi
    Having completed my competent Crew course I now need to sign up for the day skipper online course

Has anyone done it and can give me a few hints on what it is like and also where to sign up online?

Thanks 1m
    Tag

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post
    Hi
    Having completed my competent Crew course I now need to sign up for the day skipper online course

Has anyone done it and can give me a few hints on what it is like and also where to sign up online?

Thanks 1m
    Tag
    Do you have access to Google?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Do you have access to Google?
    That's navigation skills.

;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

;-)

R
    Lol,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

;-)

R

Ask your questions here or do a search.
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/index.php

Craftsman
    I did the on-line skippers course with Scotsail last winter and then the practical in Early May (big winds and very cold ) in the Firth of Clyde. before doing the online course I probably had around 16 weeks crewing for various friends in the Clyde and as far north as the Hebrides.

I think its the same online course that you get from most of the sailing schools. The Scotsail website lets you download a couple of sample lessons to try them out before signing up. If I remember correctly the course stays live for 12 months and even then you can ask for an extention if you need it.

The online course was good for tides and coastal navigation and was better than working from the books but needed the discipline to sit down for a couple of hours at a time to work through the exercises. When I went on to do the practical I had all the theory off pat and as a result was given a lot of time on some of the close quarter boat handling manoeuvres that I was less confident about.

If you have the discipline you can easily do it from the books but the on-line course is a good half way house between doing it from the books and the more expensive day and weekend courses.

Have fun
    grant

Master
    some friends and I went to croatia late last year for this, ITY? the website was not very user friendly but the learning was first class. A holiday with learning, good coffee, good food and some beers in the sunshine. The highlight was a race between student boats on the last day as we returned to Betina.

We did ours online with Corfu Sea School and then did the practical course a couple of months later.

Was easy to follow, the lessons were well laid out and everything was explained properly. I found that putting a few hours an evening into each chapter worked really well.

Craftsman
    I can't help with the online course, but I did mine via a night school course at my local collage.

I really enjoyed it. The structure of a classroom course worked for me and also working together as a class, where we were able to help each other out on the exercises.

I would recommend looking to see if there is a course near you over the winter.

My daughter, on the other hand, did her theoretical while she was doing the practical course. While she passed (aged16), she found it hard going.

Whichever way you do it, have fun

I did my day skipper on line ( good thing was you could go at your own pace) I then did my yacht master over a period of a week at Gravesend Sea School ( which with the homework was an extremely long day) I believe this was the only time a ‘condensed’ course was run like this as we all came away at the end of the week with frazzled brains, as the instructor obviously had an extremely tight schedule to stick to in order to finish the course on time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NIGE UK View Post
    I did my day skipper on line ( good thing was you could go at your own pace) I then did my yacht master over a period of a week at Gravesend Sea School ( which with the homework was an extremely long day) I believe this was the only time a ‘condensed’ course was run like this as we all came away at the end of the week with frazzled brains, as the instructor obviously had an extremely tight schedule to stick to in order to finish the course on time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There's a lot to fit into 40 hours (pdfLink) and the homework helps you and the instructor to sort out any problems you may have. It's intense if you're no longer used to sitting in classrooms and/or are on new ground...a little experience helps a lot. A week, three weekends, 6 days or lots of evening classes (I forget how many) plus a short exam can be challenging.

On the good side, the course is designed for you to pass. You'll have to be a real numpty or not put in any effort to fail it (sorry if anyone's managed that). It teaches you the theory behind what you need to go sailing safely. The shorebased courses and practical courses (link) are simply that...they do not lead to qualifications, you get a course completion certificate.

The first qualification you'll get is a Certificate of Competence (link), eg Yachtmaster Coastal (was Coastal Skipper), Yachtmaster Offshore etc. They're obtained by practical assessment and you don't need any certificates or courses to apply for examination (eg link)...just plenty of experience and knowledge (that the courses may provide).

Good luck to the OP, but luck doesn't really come into it with training. It's finding skippers and experience where you need luck. It may help with the weather too...

Day skipper online

Update .... I just passed so am now a qualified day skipper

If anyone else ever wants a chat about it free to ping me

Well done. You've completed the course...now for some sea time, I take it. The summer is coming up, so here's to fair winds.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    There's a lot to fit into 40 hours (pdfLink) and the homework helps you and the instructor to sort out any problems you may have. It's intense if you're no longer used to sitting in classrooms and/or are on new ground...a little experience helps a lot. A week, three weekends, 6 days or lots of evening classes (I forget how many) plus a short exam can be challenging.

On the good side, the course is designed for you to pass. You'll have to be a real numpty or not put in any effort to fail it (sorry if anyone's managed that). It teaches you the theory behind what you need to go sailing safely. The shorebased courses and practical courses (link) are simply that...they do not lead to qualifications, you get a course completion certificate.

The first qualification you'll get is a Certificate of Competence (link), eg Yachtmaster Coastal (was Coastal Skipper), Yachtmaster Offshore etc. They're obtained by practical assessment and you don't need any certificates or courses to apply for examination (eg link)...just plenty of experience and knowledge (that the courses may provide).

Good luck to the OP, but luck doesn't really come into it with training. It's finding skippers and experience where you need luck. It may help with the weather too...
    To take the Yachtmaster practical you do need a valid first aid certificate and GMDSS short range certificate - in addition to the relevant skippering experience. If you’re going for commercial endorsement, you’ll need a few other bits too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post
    Update .... I just passed so am now a qualified day skipper

If anyone else ever wants a chat about it free to ping me

Congrats and welcome on the High Seas! I am in the process of updating my Dutch Instructor Certificate; a mandatory thing over here. I need to give several courses this Spring together with 'peers' and we need to comment our instruction methods etc. My wife holds an RYA Instructors Course Certificate but hasn't 'used' it since the late 90s.