closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another Sub-a-like...

Master

Another Sub-a-like...

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Ordering from gnomon would presumably incur customs charges.

Would any know if this Squale would be any better or worse than the almost identical Steinhart 39mm?

There is the Sewills diver as well, but I think that is 42mm with 22mm lugs, so would wear larger.

Craftsman
    These sub "homages" just aren't for me. Too similar to the real thing. For me, I like to avoid Mercedes hands if I can, as they usually signal the boundary between an homage and a "too similar to call an homage".

They still look great of course, but that's because subs look great.

Master
    It's always a topic for debate as some see the line between fake and homage as being a very blurry one.

I don't have an issue with homages but I don't really see the point in homages of widely available, relatively recent models. Things like the OVM1 and the red have a place in my mind.

Meh, for me it has the bad bits of the Sub (skinny Mercedes hands) without the good bits (bezel pip).

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Ordering from gnomon would presumably incur customs charges.

Would any know if this Squale would be any better or worse than the almost identical Steinhart 39mm?

There is the Sewills diver as well, but I think that is 42mm with 22mm lugs, so would wear larger.
    I’ve has the Steinhart and Squale sub-a-likes and, although there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the Steinhart, the Squales are finished to a higher standard and feel like a better quality watch.

I’m really not a fan of the Sewells though.

Craftsman
    I have trouble getting my head around divers (except as just another watch style).

However, if I understand correctly, I could buy six or eight of these

for the price of just one of this

. . . . . . and people are knocking that?

You’re correct Yokel however you’ve poked the nest so be prepared to get stung.

Craftsman
    So menu out there

Master
    The 'Tropic bezel' looks really sexy & makes a difference in perceived Rolex association/homage/copy IMHO. Same watch essentially, but much more individual looking.

Yes you might be able to buy 6 or 8 of them for the price of a Sub - but how much will the Sub be worth in 5-10-15-20-30-40 years compared to the other. As an only watch and if you like it, then by all means you will probably save money on the outlay and servicing, but as an ownership prospect (?) I think the Sub would take some beating from almost any other watch - so then no, it's not for me, I'd really rather wear one of my Casio G shock 5600's, which I enjoy wearing.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Life's a sub, and then you die...............
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I’ve has the Steinhart and Squale sub-a-likes and, although there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the Steinhart, the Squales are finished to a higher standard and feel like a better quality watch.

I’m really not a fan of the Sewells though.
    Thanks. Still not sure if I can live with the skinny hands though.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Thanks. Still not sure if I can live with the skinny hands though.
    Fair point. It’s tricky when you can’t see one without ordering one.

I much prefer a diver type watch, but the endless sub-a-likes are just dull. Ive had a few over the years but much prefer divers that don't look like a sub, and i don't really like the mercedes hands.

I wonder where the inspiration came from on this one?

New Sub, old bracelet mix maybe.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    I have trouble getting my head around divers (except as just another watch style).

However, if I understand correctly, I could buy six or eight of these

for the price of just one of this

. . . . . . and people are knocking that?
    I don't think people are 'knocking' the fact. But if you did buy eight of those, none of them would be a Submariner. And that's the difference.

Master
    The sheer barefaced cheek of this company......'designed after one of our sixties models'....I doubt they even existed in thev1960s. . And 'designed and hand-finished in Switzerland'....so a cheap Chinese watch given a brief polish in 'Switzerland.'
    You get what you pay for . A basic Citizen or Seiko gives vastly better quality and value, without all the cynical 'homage' nonsense. It's just naff.

Master
    As Sub-a-likes go, it's ok, except for the horribly large crown. Looks odd to me.

She says "Is your watch a Rolex"?
    You reply "Er, er no, its' a ......
    Looks like it'll be a microwave dinner for one again ;-)

They could of att least made a clone of the Rolex clasp to put on it. The one shown looks like it came out of a Christmas cracker.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The sheer barefaced cheek of this company......'designed after one of our sixties models'....I doubt they even existed in thev1960s. . And 'designed and hand-finished in Switzerland'....so a cheap Chinese watch given a brief polish in 'Switzerland.'
    You get what you pay for . A basic Citizen or Seiko gives vastly better quality and value, without all the cynical 'homage' nonsense. It's just naff.
    I'm new here and keen to learn. I seek facts.

Hodinkee's version of the Squale history (and modern operation) -- https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bl...tory-of-squale -- is considerably at variance with Paskinner's views I quote above.

Can anybody enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    She says "Is your watch a Rolex"?
    You reply "Er, er no, its' a ......
    And that’s why I sold mine. It was so good that it was too close to the Rolex and it felt like I was wearing a fake. I felt the same about the Zeno Explorer.

Craftsman
    Squale may be a legitimate company, but this watch is a blattant copy so looks like a fake.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Another pointless clone!

Not if you cannot afford a Rolex.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Not if you cannot afford a Rolex.
    Correct, it's just a shame some people don't understand that. As I said earlier, I sold mine because it looked too much like the Rolex however for someone who is going for that look and, like the majority of the population, couldn't ever afford a Rolex, they're a really lovely and well made watch.

If watches were cars it would remind me of these -

Oh and this a pic of the movement -

Last edited by murkeywaters; 24th November 2017 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Reminds me of these -

i was thinking more Porsche 356 Speedster Vs Chesil Speedster. Or Pilgrim 427 Vs 427 Shelby Cobra. Those "Cars" above don't actually look like anything that left Modena. Not even close

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

i was thinking more Porsche 356 Speedster Vs Chesil Speedster. Or Pilgrim 427 Vs 427 Shelby Cobra. Those "Cars" above don't actually look like anything that left Modena. Not even close
    You sure

Okay so some homages are more real than others, like this Zonda for instance -

Just as bad as that Feiko MM300 we suffered the other day. Blatantly copying a design, and just changing the name on the dial is still a fake in my view. Squale may as well have gone the whole hog and put Rolex and the crown on there. Its a knock off. Shame on Squale.

Homages do suffer a fine line, I have what could be called homage watches, but they are far enough away from the original to be respected or should I say inspired by the original.

When they are too close like the Squale it gives the impression of “I really want the real thing but can afford it” which is a shame as I sure it’s a very well made watch..

Each to their own but too close for me.,

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Agree with you there, better comparison. Built a Pilgrim "Cobra" with Rover v8 and yes it really looked the part and went like whatsit off a shovel but...........it wasn't a Cobra. Anymore than a Dax is.

Blog Entries
    If Squalee are guilty of plagiarism then nearly all micro brands are. Davosa, Steinhart, marcello C , Grovana..-all doing blatant homages that riff off the iconic Rolex Sub template. It just grated me the mkii don’t get flamed for the Kingston . Or bygone watches that have been brought back . I think it’s a weird little grey area where “these guys here are ok with this homage of this brands line” but “this ones condemned to the realms of fire and brimstone “

Seiko have done plenty of very similar Sub themed watches to the casual observer ; sea urchin , mm300, sumo .

I’m not defending Squale and never handled one but I visited the site and they have about three watches available. The site itself directs you too long island watches. They too aren’t up on current models they’re supposed to have. Gnomon emailed me to say this particular sub ceramic is in very small numbers . That’s curious it’s not like it’s a hand built one of a kind . That was enough for me to leave it there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Is anyone going to bring Ginault into the pick and mix bag as I think that one is a prime candidate for homage vs rip off deliberation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often wonder why Squale sell most of their models worldwide, but the Submariner homages are only sold in SE Asia as far as I know.