closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How did I manage without a glidelock clasp?

How did I manage without a glidelock clasp?

Since I’ve got a Deepsea, I find myself adjusting the glidelock clasp several times a day. It was something that I previously wanted to do on all my watches on bracelets. The nearest I got was the half link on the Daytona, which was always just a bit too much. I realise I’m playing a little bit at the moment but it’s a great option to have. Do many of you use it everyday?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I'd don't have a Glidelock but something that needs adjusting several times a day sounds like a pain in the arse.

Barely ever used mine when I had a DSSD or Sub. Easylink on the ExpII was the adjustment type I liked the most.

Master
    I always found it a pain to do on the Milgauss that I had. One reason I sold it on quickly. Should have put it on a different strap like the new owner did!

Master
    I don't have the glidelock like the Deepsea has but have seen it and it is a great design feature,

I must admit I find the micro adjustment on bracelets useful certainly on holiday in Colder/warmer temps than here at home
    The Seadweller 4000 clasp works fine but my favourite is the Pelagos and its 'spring adjustment' not the best clasp aesthetically but does the job very well

Craftsman
    I have the glidelock on my 114060 but haven't used it in months. but it helped me get a perfect fit

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I have a glidelock bracelet and the C60 easy micro adjustment bracelet and I adjust each a few times a day. Like OP I'm guessing I am A) obsessed with getting the perfect fit, and B) my wrist must swell up and down often, and as such I love being able to quickly adjust bracelets. I even keep a mini pointed screwdriver in the office to micro-adjust bracelets that don't have tool-less adjustments.

It's funny isn't it how the easier it is to adjust the bracelet via a well designed clasp the more I will do so. My grand Seiko sbga029 clasp is a tad more clumsy than say a ploprof or sdds clasp -and- nowhere near as satisfying to 'fiddle' with... but still I micro manage the fit at least once if not twice a day

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I use them to adjust to perfection after removing the divers extension but after that, no, unless I move it to give the clasp a good clean.
    I always wear bracelets slightly loose though so that compensates for changes in temp.

I dont think I realised how much I valued the glidelock on my Sub until I finally got around to trying a Speedbird 3

A really wonderful watch but within a couple of hours I realised I would nevet find a perfect fit, of course any type of micro adjustment would be fine but the glidelock is perfection for me

My wrist size obviously changes more than others, I am also very particular on how I like to wear a bracelet

Craftsman
    Love the Gridlock, when in hot countries I can easily adjust the strap and when I get home I can adjust it back.

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Love the Gridlock, when in hot countries I can easily adjust the strap and when I get home I can adjust it back.
    I hate getting stuck in traffic personally.

Re Glidelocks, I like to wear my watches loose so no need for bracelets to be adjusted fifty times a day.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post

I must admit I find the micro adjustment on bracelets useful certainly on holiday in Colder/warmer temps than here at home
    Agreed.

The glidelock is a really good design.

I also like the Pelagos clasp & the expanding clasp on the Orfina Porsche Design 7177 chronographs.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    Rolex should put the DSSD glide lock on their subs and gmts!!!!

Craftsman
    whats wrong with setting a fit and leaving it? If a clasp leads to neurotic levels of adjustment it sounds more hassle than it's worth. Or is it just an excuse for more interaction with your watch?

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    whats wrong with setting a fit and leaving it? If a clasp leads to neurotic levels of adjustment it sounds more hassle than it's worth. Or is it just an excuse for more interaction with your watch?
    Because your wrist size changes throughout the day (as previously mentioned)

Ok we get it, you've got yourself a Rolex, its about all you've gone on about for the last fortnight...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'd don't have a Glidelock but something that needs adjusting several times a day sounds like a pain in the arse.
    Or one's fly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Because your wrist size changes throughout the day (as previously mentioned)
    I get that, was more meaning we have all managed just fine for decades without this constant adjustment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I get that, was more meaning we have all managed just fine for decades without this constant adjustment.
    It's nice to have the ability to do it if you can though. I fitted the Omega equivelant to my SeMP recently and find it useful. I don't like an overly-loose watch though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Like OP I'm guessing I am A) obsessed with getting the perfect fit, and B) my wrist must swell up and down often, and as such I love being able to quickly adjust bracelets. I even keep a mini pointed screwdriver in the office to micro-adjust bracelets that don't have tool-less adjustments.
    And me. I certainly adjust the fit on my SD more days than not. And the non-adjustability on my Seamaster means it spends most of its life in a drawer - drives me crackers.

Craftsman
    Previously, and on watches without easy micro adjustments, I usually wore bracelets loose enough that they were comfortable when my wrist are largest. Therefore they were somwhat too loose when my wrist was less swollen, but I lived with it. Now I can do something about it.

Craftsman
    The glidelock on the DSSD is easily the best clasp I've come across. Rolex should have used it on the SD4000 instead of the 'semi' glidelock that's on the newer subs

Craftsman
    Because one fit doesn't always work, I like my watch reasonably snug, but i ride a motorcycle so when on duty and I need to wear longer cuff gloves, the watch needs to be able to slide up the wrist a bit, hence I can easily adjust it. In an office its probably not an issue.

Craftsman
    I really like the adjustment on my new Pelagos. Don't think I'll be adjusting it every day but it's great for getting a perfect fit.

Isn’t it like the clasp on my Pelagos? Simply set it to spring setting and ‘voila’ a good 3-4 mm of spring adjustment, so it flexes with you.

Rob

Craftsman
    I have not adjusted my Omega for 20 years !

7 times a day !!! screw that.

I popped into an Omega AD today to have a look at things.
    I was distressed to see that although the steel Planet Ocean in blue (43mm+ with the 8500 calibre in it) has an adjustable clasp, the slightly smaller (41-2mm) Titanium version has a very bog standard flip out dive extension instead, even though it is a lot more money, maybe £1200 more on list price.
    What a curious downgrade to offer on a higher spec watch.
    It really put me off, as the larger steel version is silly heavy for me.
    D

Master
    I have a couple of Breitling 'push button deployant' clasps on rubber, they have a micro adjustment, and although my bracelet watches are fine, i.e. they get little or no adjustment, the deployants seem to bring out the 'adjuster' in me. It's a fine action and no bother at all to adjust, if I wish, takes seconds. I've probably said adjust/adjustment to many times now, please forgive!

That is nice I have always wondered why my strap watches don’t have a micro adjustment in the buckle. I did see a very elegant deployant on a Parmigani strap but glad they are becoming more popular.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I use the micro adjustment in my gmt a couple of times a day and the micro adjustment in my Speedmaster (seamaster clasp) a few times per day also.

I wouldn’t own any bracelet watch without adjustment now and can’t wait to add a Rolex dive watch to the mix. Would love a D-Blue but think I’ll settle for a Sub.

Glad to see that it’s not just me!

Master
    I sold my beautiful Zenith El Primero Original because of total lack of adjustment on the bracelet, not even half links available. It was either too tight or too loose.

I don't adjust the glidelock on my Sub on a regular basis, only sometimes in summer, but it was really good for finding just the right fit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Rolex should put the DSSD glide lock on their subs and gmts!!!!
    Whats the difference between the glidelock on the DSSD and the subs??

Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    Whats the difference between the glidelock on the DSSD and the subs??
    On the DSSD the centre part o the clasp lifts up, which releases the ratchet, you can pull the bracelet out or push it in without taking it off the wrist. On a Sub it doesn’t, you have to take it off and lift the bracelet off of the underside of the clasp to move it. Have a search on YouTube there are plenty of videos that show it well.