closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lucky Omega Clasp escape

Master

Lucky Omega Clasp escape

That was lucky, whilst sat on the work bog staring down at the newly tiled floor I noticed something shiny contrasting on the dark grey tile, so I picked it up to investigate only to notice it was one of the four small screws that are fastened to the adjustable clasp, when I checked the others they were all loose, so anyone with the Omega adjustable clasp it's worth checking the screws are tight.

Anyway, mine are now locked in with red lock tight, lucky escape!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A very handy tip indeed Matt, not checking the tiny screws, but grey tiles. I have a tiler coming round later to give me a quote for retiling the bathroom and floor, clearly grey is the way to go

Craftsman
    Lucky for sure. A useful tip for everyone really.

I did see someone post a while back that checking all the screws along the bracelet etc should be part of the routine when rotating watches to help prevent this sort of thing happening.

Master
    The funny thing is although I knew it was from a Watch I didn't think it would be off mine at first, because when the AD sized my SMPc one of the screws came loose soon after so I blue thread locked all the screws on the Bracelet apart from the two near the Watch head, I didn't even think about the clasp screws when I later changed to the adorable clasp!

Journeyman
    Have you got a picture of the screws at the clasp by any chance?
    Bet that was a heart sinking moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Always use a spot of Loctite on the screws. They're loctit-ed originally.....that's telling you something!

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Always use a spot of Loctite on the screws. They're loctit-ed originally.....that's telling you something!

Paul
    If they are loctit-ed originally they should still be okay then Paul, I don't think you know exactly what screws I'm talking about here, there is no reason to ever remove them, they are nothing to do with re-sizing the bracelet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy9 View Post
    Have you got a picture of the screws at the clasp by any chance?
    Bet that was a heart sinking moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, it might be a good idea to show the Screws I'm referring to, I will take a pic later!

Master
    Not the best photo, but these are the Screws I'm talking about, the hold the inner and outer part of the Clasp together, although the obviously breaks down onto numerous parts my bet is you can only buy the complete Clasp, similar to the bezel and insert, so I assume the Screws are just a part of the manufacturing process, I didn't even think to check them

Sat on a toilet is a good place to be when you realise you are near to losing a watch. I had a similar experience a while ago with my Voyager. The screw had worked loose from the bar and disappeared, who knows when, and the bar was wriggling out too. All loctited now, but still regularly checked.

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    If they are loctit-ed originally they should still be okay then Paul, I don't think you know exactly what screws I'm talking about here, there is no reason to ever remove them, they are nothing to do with re-sizing the bracelet.

As I learned a few days ago on the forum, very hot water can soften loctite - any chance you have cleaned the bracelet in hot water in the past?

Given what is charged for a decent bracelet, I agree they should hold together without having to be regularly checked.

Master

Lucky Omega Clasp escape

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Sat on a toilet is a good place to be when you realise you are near to losing a watch. I had a similar experience a while ago with my Voyager. The screw had worked loose from the bar and disappeared, who knows when, and the bar was wriggling out too. All loctited now, but still regularly checked.

Another close call bog shot

The Toilet is a great place to inspect your Watch, I'm sat on the bog now, in fact some of my best Friday thread shots where taken whilst on the Carsie!

Last edited by Matt68; 23rd November 2017 at 09:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    As I learned a few days ago on the forum, very hot water can soften loctite - any chance you have cleaned the bracelet in hot water in the past?

Given what is charged for a decent bracelet, I agree they should hold together without having to be regularly checked.
    It's a good call but I never expose the Watch to hot Water, the Watch gets cleaned in warm soapy water and I always take it off before I get in the hot tub, could have easily lost the Watch due to this though!

Grand Master
    Wouldn’t expect the screws on the clasp to come loose, they shouldn’t normally be disturbed and I’d expect them to be treated with loctite during assembly. Not something I’d normally check unless I’d taken them apart.

If you don’t know the full history of a watch it’s worth checking all bracelet screws, but on a watch owned from new it’s fair to assume these would be OK.

Cleaning in an ultrasonic bath can loosen screws, but if they’re tight or loctited they should be OK.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Wouldn’t expect the screws on the clasp to come loose, they shouldn’t normally be disturbed and I’d expect them to be treated with loctite during assembly. Not something I’d normally check unless I’d taken them apart.

If you don’t know the full history of a watch it’s worth checking all bracelet screws, but on a watch owned from new it’s fair to assume these would be OK.

Cleaning in an ultrasonic bath can loosen screws, but if they’re tight or loctited they should be OK.

Paul
    Yes agree it's unusual for them to be loose, not just one, but all four

Both the Watch and adjustable clasp are owned from new Paul

Master
    The funny thing is although I knew it was from a Watch I didn't think it would be off mine at first, because when the AD sized my SMPc one of the screws came loose soon after so I blue thread locked all the screws on the Bracelet apart from the two near the Watch head, I didn't even think about the clasp screws when I later changed to the adorable clasp!

I would always choose an adorable clasp over one that was dislikable. 😉

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I would always choose an adorable clasp over one that was dislikable.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    If only I could have £1 for every time I've been a victim of predictive text

It is very adorable compared to the standard clasp though!

Clasp

Reminds me of the time many years ago (30 ish) when i was feeding the duck at the local lake, throwing the feed out and my wrist action !! opened the clasp of Omega Speedy, it was saved by the very ends of my splayed finger tips. Spent rest of the day thinking what i would have had to do to retrieve the watch if the worst had happened.

Rob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robmellor View Post
    Reminds me of the time many years ago (30 ish) when i was feeding the duck at the local lake, throwing the feed out and my wrist action !! opened the clasp of Omega Speedy, it was saved by the very ends of my splayed finger tips. Spent rest of the day thinking what i would have had to do to retrieve the watch if the worst had happened.

Rob
    Wow lucky save, do you still own the Watch?

Speedy

Watch long gone unfortunately I remember buying for £ 625 got a nice discount and an Omega space Nato from Cotterales of Bramhall. Traded it for a date just which was the start of my flipping.

Rob

Wow lucky save, do you still own the Watch?