closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacing Omega bezel inserts

Replacing Omega bezel inserts

Morning:

I am looking at possibly taking an SMP in on trade (very good value, that is why I am tempted). However, the bezel insert has a quite bad scratch on what is otherwise a pretty immaculate watch.

How is the process with Omega servicing? Can I simply swap out the insert for 50-100 quid like I would be able to with Rolex. Or would Omega hammer me for a full service, in which case the trade stops becoming attractive?

Thanks, Alex.

Im pretty sure, that the bezel alone will cost a good two hundred quid plus!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Morning:

I am looking at possibly taking an SMP in on trade (very good value, that is why I am tempted). However, the bezel insert has a quite bad scratch on what is otherwise a pretty immaculate watch.

How is the process with Omega servicing? Can I simply swap out the insert for 50-100 quid like I would be able to with Rolex. Or would Omega hammer me for a full service, in which case the trade stops becoming attractive?

Thanks, Alex.
    Not the same deal as Rolex at all. The insert is not sold separately from the bezel and the bezels are upwards of £200. There isn't really a cheap solution to a scratched SMP bezel. There are aftermarket inserts but they look crap and fit badly. If the watch is otherwise straight it may still be worth it but it may be cheap for this exact reason.

btw a bezel replacement is not included in an Omega service, it would be charged separately, though they would do just a replacement if asked in my experience.
    Last edited by Padders; 22nd November 2017 at 09:12.

Perfect thank you. Looks like I need to factor another 200 quid in the trade if it happens.

Blog Entries
    That’s interesting as mine is in for service at the moment and has a scratch on the bezel.

The bezel and insert is a one piece purchase from Omega, not available separately.

The price was closer to £300 than £200, I would phone the nearest boutique, our a friendly AD for an up to date quote.
    It's just a matter of time...

Unless the insert is wrecked, I actually like seeing them auth a bit of wear - you can't keep them perfect forever.

I have a SMP from 2004 which I have had from new and it my daily beater.

The bezel is slightly faded (which I like), but I lost the pip which is annoying. What is said is correct in that the insert cannot be purchased separately and has to be bought as a unit with the bezel itself. I remember a quote of around £300 which is why mine still resides with the pip missing (I don't really want a new bezel as I like the original colour of mine and feel that a brand new bezel will ruin the watch - I just want a pip).

Has anyone had any experience of buying aftermarket pips and installing them? I fear that this option is a poor one but keen to hear any experiences.

Grand Master
    It’s crazy, I was buying and fitting these for under £200 in 2014 before Swatch Group stopped supplying Omega parts.

I’ll never understand why the insert and bezel aren’t sold separately. As for the after-market inserts, I agree with the comments made by Padders, although the one I tried did properly the colour and quality of finish was crap. A pity, there’s a market for these if someone can make them properly.

Sorting out old SMPs can be costly. Beware scratched crystals, scruffy bezels, tired bracelets and worn clasps. A poor example can cost a lot to sort out thesedays, I did a few when parts were readily available but it was never cheap.

Welcome to the world of Omegas 2017-style..........all part of the Swatch Group strategy to push them up-market!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Unless the insert is wrecked, I actually like seeing them auth a bit of wear - you can't keep them perfect forever.

So much this. Why expect your watch to look like new after several years of wear? I have several dive watches, and most are vintage with scratched cases/bezels. They look what they are.
    Tool watches.

Is that right?, they're a £300 unit now. That is indeed ridiculous when weighed up against the overall value of the watches. Surely there's nothing to stop Omega replacing just the insert rather than the whole thing - makes no sense to me other than blatant profiteering :-(

As Paul says.......there is the market out there for a quality AM part. I hope someone takes the task on!

For devilment, I'm tempted to fire off a letter to Omega HQ just to get an official explanantion on the subject. Hmm........going on the 'to do' list

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Is that right?, they're a £300 unit now. That is indeed ridiculous when weighed up against the overall value of the watches. Surely there's nothing to stop Omega replacing just the insert rather than the whole thing - makes no sense to me other than blatant profiteering :-(

As Paul says.......there is the market out there for a quality AM part. I hope someone takes the task on!

For devilment, I'm tempted to fire off a letter to Omega HQ just to get an official explanantion on the subject. Hmm........going on the 'to do' list

£300! That could be 25% of the watch value in some cases. Hope I don't scratch mine :0

Depending on the model you could buy a gently used on that would be better than what you have already. I bout one for the bond model for around £100 that faded but in good condition. I didn't need it in the end so might be of interest to you

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    £300! That could be 25% of the watch value in some cases. Hope I don't scratch mine :0
    The percentage of the total value of the watch has little relevance unless you're buying one to restore, then it soon becomes obvious that the numbers don`t work.

The big mistake Omega made is in producing the bezels identically for many years. If they'd altered the font very slightly for short production runs everyone could get really exited about originality and these scruffy bezels would be highly treasured........a bit like old Rolex Subs and even more recent LVs. A scruffy insert would be held in esteem if it had a certain style of font, all it needed was to alter the top of the 4 slightly and make the font fatter or thinner . All very silly.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Not entirely. They are now circa £300 from suppliers to the trade such as Cousins Ofrei, ebay sellers etc, it is the rarity and supply restriction which has pushed up the price but within the dealer network they can be got for less than £200. It does rather suggest that Omega have acted deliberately to kill the aftermarket repairer community. Take the watch into a boutique or send it to OSC and they should be able to supply and fit for much less than the cost of a bezel in the wlld. STS used to be the same but I have heard anecdotally that their bezel prices have risen recently. 6 months ago they charged around £190 for the part plus a small fitting fee.

I remember the quoted price being £186 not that long ago - but the last time I saw an actual price it was close to £300. Not sure what the official Omega parts price is but it would be worth a call to find out if you were thinking about changing one.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    As for the after-market inserts, I agree with the comments made by Padders, although the one I tried did properly the colour and quality of finish was crap. A pity, there’s a market for these if someone can make them properly.
    If anyone wants to see an example, there was one on SC a while ago with an aftermarket bezel. Certainly to anyone who's owned a SMP it was recognisable as a copy, but whether it would be noticeable or bothersome to the 'untrained' eye is another matter.

Grand Master
    I used to wince at paying £186 for them! I usually replaced the bezel when refinishing and servicing a SMP, so the new bezel often doubled the final cost. A new bezel makes a big difference and often means the watch can be returned to almost new condition. Usually the bezel itself gets knocked around and refinishing them isn’t always feasible, in some cases the bezel can be made good again but the insert lets the watch down.

I still like these watches so I’m loathe to advise against them, but there are lots of tired examples out there that will cost a lot to put right. Even the 1120 movement parts are starting to get more expensive as Swatch Group tighten the screw on ETA parts supply.

I’ll reluctantly accept the price of parts going up, but the supply situation is thoroughly dispiriting if not downright depressing. I’ve spent many happy hours servicing, refinishing and restoring Omegas but frankly the fun’s gone out of it owing to the parts situation. Omega SMPs were always a favourite for me, I bought the correct tools to get the pendant tube and He valve out, I sourced the correct O ring seals, I had a bezel removing tool made. I devised a way to get the graining on the case sides absolutely correct and I was able to refinish the the case, bracelet and bezel to a high standard. I still have a few parts but they’re mostly earmarked for my own watches should they be needed. I’ve agreed to service one more 2254.50 for a TZ member but that’ll probably be my last, working without parts access isn’t for me.

The best news for owners of Swatch Group products would be a change in policy regarding supply of parts to wholesalers and repairers. The situation in 2013/14 was a whole lot healthier for everyone, ranging from buyers of vintage Omegas to those who were buying the new models. This affects everybody, putting the small repairers out if business, or pissing them off to the extent that they throw the towel in , meqns less repairers and higher prices. It also means that there’s no-one left to service other watches such as that nice vintage watch that belonged to a relative.......once the repairers have given up and decided to do something else they’re gone.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    If anyone wants to see an example, there was one on SC a while ago with an aftermarket bezel. Certainly to anyone who's owned a SMP it was recognisable as a copy, but whether it would be noticeable or bothersome to the 'untrained' eye is another matter.
    The quality of the finish is my concern, the originals are anodised (I think) whereas the after-market are printed and the paint literally chips off. They won’t stand up to wear and tear.

Blog Entries
    I used to wince at paying £186 for them! I usually replaced the bezel when refinishing and servicing a SMP, so the new bezel often doubled the final cost. A new bezel makes a big difference and often means the watch can be returned to almost new condition. Usually the bezel itself gets knocked around and refinishing them isn’t always feasible, in some cases the bezel can be made good again but the insert lets the watch down.

I still like these watches so I’m loathe to advise against them, but there are lots of tired examples out there that will cost a lot to put right. Even the 1120 movement parts are starting to get more expensive as Swatch Group tighten the screw on ETA parts supply.

I’ll reluctantly accept the price of parts going up, but the supply situation is thoroughly dispiriting if not downright depressing. I’ve spent many happy hours servicing, refinishing and restoring Omegas but frankly the fun’s gone out of it owing to the parts situation. Omega SMPs were always a favourite for me, I bought the correct tools to get the pendant tube and He valve out, I sourced the correct O ring seals, I had a bezel removing tool made. I devised a way to get the graining on the case sides absolutely correct and I was able to refinish the the case, bracelet and bezel to a high standard. I still have a few parts but they’re mostly earmarked for my own watches should they be needed. I’ve agreed to service one more 2254.50 for a TZ member but that’ll probably be my last, working without parts access isn’t for me.

The best news for owners of Swatch Group products would be a change in policy regarding supply of parts to wholesalers and repairers. The situation in 2013/14 was a whole lot healthier for everyone, ranging from buyers of vintage Omegas to those who were buying the new models. This affects everybody, putting the small repairers out if business, or pissing them off to the extent that they throw the towel in , meqns less repairers and higher prices. It also means that there’s no-one left to service other watches such as that nice vintage watch that belonged to a relative.......once the repairers have given up and decided to do something else they’re gone.

Paul
    Shame parts for such a trooper of a movement should become more expensive like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I can.

Got the blue and black version from when they first came out, both bezels perfect.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I can.

Got the blue and black version from when they first came out, both bezels perfect.
    Well yes, there are exceptions - I also have a number of LNIB Omega SMP's, but as they are never worn they don't tend to pick up any wear ;)

Re bezel

Apart from the cost as already mentioned removal/fitting new bezel on a SMP is far from easy without correct tools & not really a 'diy' job i'd say from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jzinc View Post
    Apart from the cost as already mentioned removal/fitting new bezel on a SMP is far from easy without correct tools & not really a 'diy' job i'd say from experience.
    That's my understanding too. I wouldn't even dare attempt it on mine. Which places me totally in the expensive hands of Omega :-(

Grand Master
    I paid £80 for my custom-made aluminium tool for removing these bezels and it's served me well. Even with the tool they can be stubborn to remove, I clamp the watch head in a wooden clamp specially modified for the case shape, which I hold in a 6" vice to ensure it goes nowhere. A twist and a tug usually whips the bezel off without drama. Refitting's a whole lot easier, I use marine (waterproof) grease to lubricate the bezel spring and that helps it go on easily.

All this talk about SMPs has reminded me that I haven't worn either of mine for a few weeks....that might change tomorrow. I have a love-hate relationship with Omegas, love the watches (pre 2006) but hate the company!

Paul

So I took the watch in trade this morning. It is the chrono version SMP 'America Cup'. After all my concerns the scratch is actually far less noticeable compared to the photos. I am quite happy to leave as is!

So I took the watch in trade this morning. It is the chrono version SMP 'America Cup'. After all my concerns the scratch is actually far less noticeable compared to the photos. I am quite happy to leave as is!
    Glad you like it!

I love my one............though I did stupidly flip my first one....then I got another one...of course by the time I bought the one I have now?...
    The prices had risen!! But this one is going nowhere!

After all my concerns the scratch is actually far less noticeable compared to the photos.
    I think this is a general rule: by being a fixed moment, any photo which honestly portrays a scratch cannot express the insignificance of the scratch to the experience of looking at the watch overall.

Very true. Also camera phones, with a harsh LED and pixelation due to basic image processing seem to make scratches look much worse.

I paid £80 for my custom-made aluminium tool for removing these bezels and it's served me well

Paul
    I'd be interested in seeing a photo of that Paul, if you cast your mind back you didn't get on with my nylon tool