closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Whisky distillery trip - looking for ideas

Whisky distillery trip - looking for ideas

I hit 50 in three weeks and my closest friends do the same not long afterwards. I'm thinking of organising a lads' whisky distillery trip to Scotland. It will probably be for 2 or 3 nights and I am considering Speyside early next year, or possibly Easter. Any suggestions? I'm not wedded to Speyside, so alternatives are very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    I hit 50 in three weeks and my closest friends do the same not long afterwards. I'm thinking of organising a lads' whisky distillery trip to Scotland. It will probably be for 2 or 3 nights and I am considering Speyside early next year, or possibly Easter. Any suggestions? I'm not wedded to Speyside, so alternatives are very welcome.
    For my 50th, my wife organised a visit to Glengoyne Distillery (they don't do any peat based whisky so for those afraid of a bit of smoke it's a safe place!). Had the obligatory tour round but as it was January there was only us two so we got plenty of time to ask questions and get shown in detail. I did the Distillers Mixing session as well which was very interesting and I got to bring home a lovely bottle of blended malt (after extensive tasting). I'd recommend it, it might be a bit remote but there are plenty of companies offering chauffeur services if you fancied fitting in some golf or general site-seeing. Enjoy!

Liz & I had a visit to the Cardhu Distillery recently in Knockando which was great. Did some tasting, a little fun competition guessing the flavours, and free glasses! Very enjoyable visit.

https://www.malts.com/en-row/distilleries/cardhu/

I love Speyside, David, and you'll find plenty of distilleries to visit in the area... However, visiting Talisker in Skye is worth the trip too, beautiful drive up the west coast.

To be honest, you could easily manage several distillery visits over a few days in Speyside, and the area is beautiful too.

What other activities, if any, did you have in mind? Plenty of things on offer so I can easily make local recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    For my 50th, my wife organised a visit to Glengoyne Distillery... it might be a bit remote...
    Remote?!

This is Sparta Scotland! I lived only a few miles up the road from Glengoyne for 21 years. At 20 minutes from Glasgow it's probably one of the least remote distilleries you'll find. But nothing wrong with the recommendation. Very close to Loch Lomond so plenty to do

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    I love Speyside, David, and you'll find plenty of distilleries to visit in the area... However, visiting Talisker in Skye is worth the trip too, beautiful drive up the west coast.

To be honest, you could easily manage several distillery visits over a few days in Speyside, and the area is beautiful too.

What other activities, if any, did you have in mind? Plenty of things on offer so I can easily make local recommendations.

Remote?!

This is Sparta Scotland! I lived only a few miles up the road from Glengoyne for 21 years. At 20 minutes from Glasgow it's probably one of the least remote distilleries you'll find. But nothing wrong with the recommendation. Very close to Loch Lomond so plenty to do
    Thanks Ross - a range of activities probably, but largely good food and drink, some history, some art and culture, and good walks (if all possible). David

Grand Master
    We did Islay for my 40th, if you like peaty malts it's the perfect place and all distilleries are very open to visits. It was a superb weekend! If you wear a big 50 badge you will end up drowning in a lake of freebies....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    The Glengoyne Distillery is on the first stage of the West Highland Way (WHW) which starts out in Milngavie (pronounced Milguy) at the end of the rail line from Glasgow. If you are keen on walking Its only 8/9 miles on the West Highland Way from the start in Milngavie to the Distillery. nearest accommodation would be in Strathblane which is halfway between Milngavie and Glengoyne. A good walk onwards along the WHW could take you to Conic Hill on the east bank of Loch Lomond. Conic Hill is an easy diversion from the WHW and gives superb views of the Highland Boundary Fault Line. Nearest town is Drymen with some reasonable hotels. A couple of companies will organise hotels and carry your luggage to your overnight destination on the WHW.

Other southern distillery within easy reach of Glasgow is Auchentoshan which is around 10 miles from Glasgow city centre on the way to Dumbarton. Easy trip if you want to to be Glasgow based for the "culture".

For a more adventurous trip another option is a visit to Port Ellen on Islay where you have easy access to Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich, Ardbeg, Bowmore, Bunnahabhain, and these are just the ones I can remember.

Have fun,

regards
    grant

If you're doing Islay, register as a 'friend of lapgroaig' and you get given your very own 1ft square plot of land which you can go and hunt down. They'll even give you a free dram as ground rent

Master
    Don't forget the English Distillery in Norfolk.
    https://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/the-...lery/our-tours
    It's just down the road from Snettisham
    http://www.snetterton.co.uk/calendar.aspx
    so combining a distillery tour and a race weekend could work out a winner!
    Been there and done that!

Islay.

Master
    Aberlour was a good tour though it was a few years ago when I did it.
    Balvenie is one that is always recommended as they have their own malt floor so you can see more of the process.
    There's also the speyside cooperage nearby where you can see barrels being restored (more interesting than it sounds!).
    There's also some good pubs in the area too, though again it was a while ago when I was there. The mash tun in aberlour and the highlander inn craigellachie are worth trying. I spent a very happy afternoon/evening doing the aberlour tour followed by popping across the road to the mash tun for a top up.

Craftsman
    You could head up to Oban (where there is a distillery) and then take the ferries to the various islands to Islay, Jura, etc. Then on the way back go via Campbeltown where there are more distilleries

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    If you're doing Islay, register as a 'friend of lapgroaig' and you get given your very own 1ft square plot of land which you can go and hunt down. They'll even give you a free dram as ground rent
    I signed up for this about 16 years ago and have the certificate to prove it, must pop back and collect the rent arrears
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    If it's early next year then I'd go Speyside rather than Islay - it can be pretty grim there in Winter. For Speyside you could stay in Aviemore which has a few lively pubs in the ski season.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I have good memories when visiting the Glenkinchie distillery, about 20 yrs ago. I am a 'neutral bystander' (I don't like whisky) but the reception and the tour was great. For whisky afficionados a little heaven when - at the end of the tour- the tourguide appears with a trolley stacked with all sorts of whisky and tumblers - and not only Glenkichie's own.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    Thanks Ross - a range of activities probably, but largely good food and drink, some history, some art and culture, and good walks (if all possible). David
    If it's going to be nearer Easter, and the weather is starting to improve, I'd spend a night or two in Skye, take in the Talisker distillery (there's a cracking wee pub directly opposite), plenty of outdoor activities including stunning walks.

Next morning, from there, take a drive from Skye to Applecross over the Bealach Na Ba (an experience in itself), enjoy the views and seafood lunch at the Applecross Inn, and back over the mountain pass on your way to the Torridon Hotel. It's expensive but the food is a cut above, and the whisky bar has over 350 varieties for you to try. Proper country gents activities for you to enjoy, maybe shoot a few clays on the front lawn.

Alternatively, for Speyside, use Aviemore as a base - plenty of accommodation choices for all tastes and budgets, food and drink aplenty.

It's well known that Aviemore and surrounding areas will give you a vast array of activities, including the Cairngorms which will probably still be snow covered - maybe hire some skis for a day.

As for a distillery visit, in Speyside, you'll never be short of choice with so many on the doorstep, in fact you simply won't have time to get round them all, so choose wisely.

Morrison's are doing a gallon for £70.00, just a thought........................................... .......

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    You could head up to Oban (where there is a distillery) and then take the ferries to the various islands to Islay, Jura, etc. Then on the way back go via Campbeltown where there are more distilleries
    Yeah, but, no, but..
    Avoid Cambletown it's the pits.
    Spend time saved on Arran.
    The distillery at Lochranza there is fairly recent, but very good.

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Morrison's are doing a gallon for £70.00, just a thought........................................... .......

Hahahahaaaaaa...£8.75 a pint!
    Bloody hell!
    That's cheap...seriously cheap...good find.

Master
    Bushmills? Ireland, but 40 mins on ryanair, Stay in belfast which has loads to fill the rest of your time, vibrant nightlife,titanic, gobbins,town hall the Crum crown bar will absorb a whole night in the booths as world travellers come and go talking the breeze with you.Giants causeway and bushmills on the way back. Restaurants galore, Porterhouse for A1 No double A1 steaks,goto Stormont and learn why some of it is black, bus bart top for a hangover tour.

For scotland, for a weekend, Highland park, other highlights, ring of brodgar, a village called Twatt, kitcheners monument, view a WW1 battleship via ROV, Lyness museam, Churchill barriers Italian Chapel and its backstory, i asked my missus to marry me here and she said no lol http://businesses.orkney.com/b/italian_chapel1

All the other ones i have been to in scotland are nice visits when on a driveby but are in locations not suited to a longer visit, Visit commando monument
    Last edited by MCFastybloke; 22nd November 2017 at 20:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Bushmills? Ireland, but 40 mins on ryanair, Stay in belfast which has loads to fill the rest of your time, vibrant nightlife,titanic, gobbins,town hall the Crum crown bar will absorb a whole night in the booths as world travellers come and go talking the breeze with you.Giants causeway and bushmills on the way back. Restaurants galore, Porterhouse for A1 No double A1 steaks,goto Stormont and learn why some of it is black, bus bart top for a hangover tour.
    ^^This^^. And it's Irish whiskey too.

Craftsman
    Ireland only has about half a dozen distilleries so pretty dull for a whisky tour. Bushmill is a dull town and the Giant's Causeway is surprisingly small. Speyside has much more to see and do.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    you could also consider the Orkneys, two very good distilleries and more historical sights than you could shake several sticks at
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes a series of whisky tasting sessions are as good as a tour.

If you’re passing near or staying in the edinburgh area I have a nice discount arrangement with Jeffrey Street Whisky and Tobacco which I’ll happily share with you. Check out their web site for menus!!

Have a great trip whatever you decide.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Yeah, but, no, but..
    Avoid Cambletown it's the pits.
    Spend time saved on Arran.
    The distillery at Lochranza there is fairly recent, but very good.
    Campbeltown is home to one of the distilleries (if not the only distillery) that still does it all, from malting to bottling: Springbank. Springbank is also pretty progressive when it comes to a) pricing and b) paying its staff, employing over seventy people. The town is also home to Glengyle (Kilkerran) and Glen Scotia. While the town continues to suffer, it's not far from some decent walking (the Kintyre Way), golf (Machrahannish, where there's also an airport), and the ferries to Arran, Islay (Jura) and even Gigha. The distillery on Arran is fine - it's a lovely place - but the tour at Springbank really does show you everything. Islay is, of course, fantastic. It's perfectly possible to rent a cottage that's within walking distance of a few of the distilleries (Caol Ila and Bunnahabhain spring to mind, or the trinity of Lagavulin, Laphroig and Ardbeg). The latter has a decent café, and Port Ellen has some nice B&Bs and a hotel / restaurant). Culture is limited largely to castles, ruins and relics, but Finlaggan is worth a visit, and the community garden at Islay House, with the House (hotel) next door and the brewery a few yards away is also worth a visit. Bowmore to Bruichladdich is a short walk, and then it's a bit of a hike to Kilchoman, but the views are great, and there are great views over Loch Gorm; the beaches are great. I have family over on Loch Fyne, and my favourite whisky is Springbank, so I'm biased. But you shouldn't (IMHO) write Kintyre off just because Campbeltown has been the victim of a massive downturn.
    Last edited by Broussard; 24th November 2017 at 08:27.

Thanks for all the very useful info. I'll update this when the trip is over.

Master
    Sounds like it will be a great trip.

I'd add to the recommendations for Islay. Speyside is superb, and at this time won't be too overrun. But there's something about arriving off a ferry and the feeling of being tucked away and remote - just you, your mates, wild scenery and loads distilleries and bars full of whisky!

The Islay ferry goes from Kennacraig on the Kintyre peninsula. It's a fabulous drive from Glasgow, up Loch Lomondside, over the Rest & be thankful, and could give you the option to take in Springbank down in Campbelltown. Stay overnight in Campbelltown or Inverary, then hop the morning ferry over to Islay.

(Campbelltown also has two superb golf courses if anyone is so inclined, Machrihanish & Dunaverty)