closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Aston Martin Vantage - What do you think?

New Aston Martin Vantage - What do you think?

The new one is revealed. Have been eagerly anticipating how it’ll look. I’m on the fence.

What do you think?

http://www.evo.co.uk/aston-martin/19...-v8-sports-car

Certainly not a fan of the lime green colour, or the full front section. I expect it’ll be a lot better looking in the flesh.

Suppose I could live with it...if I had to.
    But not the snot green one....*shudders*

Blog Entries
    View from the front looks like a 17 year olds drift car with a makeshift grille.

Nissan
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    View from the front looks like a 17 year olds drift car with a makeshift grille.
    Yes, the grill looks wrong/unfinished to me, especially with the little 'port holes' in it.

But who cares what I think; I can't afford one. If I could, though, I don't think I'd be buying one in that state (regardless of the colour).

It'll look a bit different with a numberplate in the grille and viewed from normal standing height.

It doesn't really interest me although I'm sure it will drive beautifully and so on. Gordon Murray's sports car idea is much more my kind of thing.

I like the colour* but wish it wasn't just sports car manufacturers doing it, I assume they're saying your commuting car is most likely a grey somewhere between white and black so we'll make colour = fun.

*I prefer Viper Green...
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Spot on. I also think the headlights are too feminine for an AM.

Master
    Aston have this uncanny knack of getting something wrong on just about every car they design and on this one it’s the front end. The first picture I saw was from the rear three quarters and at that point I was buying one. 10 seconds later I saw the front and I wasn’t buying one any more. It’ll be interesting to see it in real life and with a plate in place.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Front end = mazda mx5.

Rear and 3/4 rear is very nice.

I think it's much better looking than the DB11. It seems to have taken a bit more DB10 DNA.

I am also glad Aston are doing something a bit different, too.

Every recent car; from the DB7 to DB9, DBS, Virage, previous-Vantage, Rapide, Vanquish all pretty much look the same.

Unquestionably beautiful, but mostly the same. It's nice to see them doing something different, but it may take a minor facelift to get this one perfect.

I also dislike the colour.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Headlights make it look too much like a Jaguar.

Agreed with CM3, they just seem to mess up some part of every car of late.

The front splitter and side strake on DB11 ruin that car for me, and the gaping front and tiny headlights on this one spoil it.

The inside is also a bit too fussy for an AM, with too many buttons, many of which could/should be part of the infotainment controls.

Hopefully the facelift will be prettier, be seeing as AM only sorted the interior dash on the last Vantage at the 11th hour, it may be 2025 before this one is fully sorted.

I’d happily still have one though! It’s 99% gorgeous.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It looks a bit better than my Astra is the best I can say.
    I can’t afford it so I am sure they don’t care what I think.

Master
    It has left me feeling ...................... unimpressed. Simply not enough Aston Martin left in it. Doesn't matter though - I can't afford one.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    If you'd have said "what do you think of the new MX-5" I'd have thought it was a pretty nice evolution. But the Vantage, one of the most beautiful cars ever made – I think they've got it wrong.

I'm rather disappointed that AM have gone with the herd and decided that ultra-aggressive styling is the way to go. Since the DB7 in 1994, Aston have returned to classic elegance in styling - even the original Vanquish remained beautiful yet purposeful. I do agree that there was something of Russian doll feel in later years but they are some of the most beautiful cars of the last 30 years. In that time, other purveyors of pretty cars like Ferrari have moved to an aggressive, aero-driven style and mainstream manufacturers like BMW/Audi seem to be competing to see who can make the most intimidating front end to force its way down the fast lane. That's how a view this Vantage - its a testosterone-fuelled teenager's wet dream and no longer an elegant, gentleman's coupe. I guess the writing was on the wall with some of the more outrageous special edition Vantages of late...

Putting all that aside, I think it's not a bad looking thing and possibly a grower. It's certainly better that the woeful new TVR and could forge a stronger identity for the little Aston. The grille is a dilemma and does look a bit DIY but (ironically) it will probably look better with a reg plate on it. I do think that having it painted black on the grey car would probably tone it down - it actually looks dirty in that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Certainly not a fan of the lime green colour, or the full front section. I expect it’ll be a lot better looking in the flesh.

What’s wrong with lime green?
    This is a lot faster,cheaper, fun but I’m biased!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

What size are those wheels? They look slightly large to me.

I really like it. A lot.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    What size are those wheels? They look slightly large to me.
    13" standard Caterham size!

Master
    From the B pillar back I think it's stunning and every part of the interior looks sensational (except maybe the AMG borrowed touch pad mouse thing). But the front is a shocker - MX-5 eyes and a massive Halfords mesh grille.

My main concern for AM is that their cars never performed quite as well as their competitors. But people love the brand because, despite their faults, they make gorgeous, sophisticated sports cars.

This model though might suit Joey Essex if he becomes the next Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I'm rather disappointed that AM have gone with the herd and decided that ultra-aggressive styling is the way to go. Since the DB7 in 1994, Aston have returned to classic elegance in styling - even the original Vanquish remained beautiful yet purposeful. I do agree that there was something of Russian doll feel in later years but they are some of the most beautiful cars of the last 30 years. In that time, other purveyors of pretty cars like Ferrari have moved to an aggressive, aero-driven style and mainstream manufacturers like BMW/Audi seem to be competing to see who can make the most intimidating front end to force its way down the fast lane. That's how a view this Vantage - its a testosterone-fuelled teenager's wet dream and no longer an elegant, gentleman's coupe. I guess the writing was on the wall with some of the more outrageous special edition Vantages of late...

Putting all that aside, I think it's not a bad looking thing and possibly a grower. It's certainly better that the woeful new TVR and could forge a stronger identity for the little Aston. The grille is a dilemma and does look a bit DIY but (ironically) it will probably look better with a reg plate on it. I do think that having it painted black on the grey car would probably tone it down - it actually looks dirty in that pic.
    Good post. I've been appreciating the DB7 (and Ferrari 456) more and more as the years go by. I've always loved the 550. Something shifted between then and now, a gentleman's GT car is no longer allowed to be discreet and subtle but has to have so much power it needs electronics to keep you alive, a screaming engine and enhanced exhaust note so everyone knows you're coming. Most people wouldn't give a second glance to a 456 or any Bristol since the 1960s (bar the Fighter) and that's where my money would be were I in the market for a car like that. Not so long ago I had to look after a friend's W123 E-Class Mercedes with a ride so smooth you chilled out and let the car get on with it. I'm not suggesting the Vantage go quite that soft but equally it doesn't necessarily have to be as Top Gear 'wooooooohooooo' (presenter pretends to powerslide round corner while external shots of massive drift are done in such a way as to disguise driver) as it is now.

Call me an old fogey (I am)...
    "A man of little significance"

bulbous bonnet and lots of Mazda DNA in there

Not elegant at all.... & elegance was the essential essence of a AM, especially as in nearly all other departments (VFM, reliability, build quality etc etc) they were always 2nd and 3rd to other sports/GT cars

funny how Bentley seem to be getting it right with the new Continental - going from bloated and bulbous to quite a smooth shape....

At least it looks a bit different from the previous version.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I think colour plays a big part here.
    It looks a lot better in dark red in the Carfection video.

Master
    I think they've made a pigs ear of that.....

Used to own the older one which to my eyes was a lovely looking car.

Doesn't look too bad to me.

The old one was getting to look a bit long in the tooth.

I'm not mad on the grille, but the overall shape is decent enough.

Matters not a jot as I can't afford one and even if I could, I wouldn't buy one.

M.

Blog Entries
    Not keen on the grille, however placing a reg plate makes a slight better look:

Master
    I also see MX5 in the design only Mazda made a better job of it. I actually see a bit of RX7 and RX8 in there as well with the headlights and lines on the bonnet.

The picture of the grey one looks sort of ok because you can't see the grille (which is a mess) or the huge featureless expanse of plastic that is the bumper below the tiny headlight.

Glad I dont like it since I don't have £140,000.00

Quote Originally Posted by Oysterman View Post
    13" standard Caterham size!
    I meant on the Aston Martin!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I meant on the Aston Martin!
    20" I believe

I'll be seeing it in the "flesh" tomorrow at Gaydon, only way to really tell IMO.
    Keith

As usual, this is a bit of fun...

https://configurator.astonmartin.com/#/

I did an Arden Green with black grille and details and it looked pretty damned good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    As usual, this is a bit of fun...

https://configurator.astonmartin.com/#/

I did an Arden Green with black grille and details and it looked pretty damned good.
    ^^^this^^^

I can't see the problem with the grille tbh. My neighbour's F Pace has a black chicken wire mesh and that ain't pretty.

Menno

I like it, but not £140k worth of like.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Awful front, but great rear & nice side profile.......a real 'but her face'. Agree that they seem to have lost a bit of the Aston class/style in their pursuit of 'aggression'

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    I think colour plays a big part here.
    It looks a lot better in dark red in the Carfection video.

Definitely looks better in the video... and a very different prospect to the last generation of Vantage, but beautiful in its own right I think (unlike the DB11)

I do think the problem is that they got it so right with the last lot, that you wouldn't blame either the Vantage or DB11 for hating their parents!

Aston had to move their designs on, the DB7-esque shape is really old now and had run its course.

I'll be sticking with mine for now, at least:

Also, anyone criticising that the engine is from AMG has clearly forgotten that the "old" V12 started life as 2x Mondeo V6 engines, glued together.
    Last edited by danmiddle2; 22nd November 2017 at 21:26.

Master
    Once you've seen the racing version it puts you off the Street version https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2...n-vantage-gte/

(But I still don't like it much and it isn't shouting "ASTON MARTIN" at me)

I like it and will probably work well with the AMG v8. Hopefully I get another invite by Aston this year to have a play at Millbrook.

I’m currently searching for a manual V12 Vantage in Flug Platz Blue

Craftsman
    Is it bad that I prefer the older one?

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Is it bad that I prefer the older one?
    Of course not... and if you buy one at the right age / mileage you may find it will appreciate!

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    Of course not... and if you buy one at the right age / mileage you may find it will appreciate!
    Highly likely for the right car.
    It's just a matter of time...

Also, anyone criticising that the engine is from AMG has clearly forgotten that the "old" V12 started life as 2x Mondeo V6 engines, glued together.

M

The AM ‘purists’ get very upset if you ever refer to the technical heritage of the V12 engine. Especially if the words ‘glued’ or ‘welded’ are used.

They are also generally in denial that the old V8 is a reworked Jaguar engine, made in a Ford factory.

There's something about the new one, especially side on, that reminds me of some of the later TVR's - not sure exactly what though.

Anyone else think so?
    So clever my foot fell off.

I don't mind the looks but I think it's a shame that modern supercars are all heading down the 'smaller' engine route with multiple turbos and fewer cylinders. I prefer the bigger, normally aspirated engines.

Master
    Shame about the 30% increase in price. Think I will reserve judgement until I see in the flesh, but do prefer the rear 3/4 looks in the pictures.

Considering the old model is now overs 11 years old, it still looks pretty good - this was mine up until the kids came along :)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    There's something about the new one, especially side on, that reminds me of some of the later TVR's - not sure exactly what though.

Anyone else think so?
    I can't see that too much, maybe a hint of Tuscan 2 in the rear quarter and drop of Sagaris in the bonnet and light shape.... but they've definitely taken a leaf out of TVR's book on the bold colour thing!