closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Watches Are A Minefield

Vintage Watches Are A Minefield

Just going back on topic....

1-2 years ago I went on a 16750 matte dialled hunt. I must have held around 10 of them before finally buying one in the end but I came across a few that were not what I’d call dodgy but just something didn’t sit right. At the time I had spent weeks and weeks doing research and I noticed numerous reputable vintage Rolex dealers won’t go out of their way to make mismatching bracelet codes or case backs or the like apparent to potential buyers. So I decided to make sure I knew exactly what should be fitted for the specific watches I was looking at. While I love the look of vintage pieces it’s definitely a minefield as has repeatedly been said.

My advice to anyone is research and more research. Really understand everything there is to know about the specific watch and age of watch you are looking for. We have a wealth of knowledge available to ourselves so no excuses.

No disrespect to the reputable dealers, but I would still look to question literally everything and make sure things look right according your own research. It may just save you a fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Because he’s Sarky, he’s set out to cultivate a snide sarcastic persona on this forum and he’ll continue to live up to it. He clearly gets a kick out of this and the rest of us should try harder not to encourage him. God only knows what he’s like in real life.

Paul

He isn't here to be a part of the community, that's for sure.
    Best ignored.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    He isn't here to be a part of the community, that's for sure.
    Best ignored.
    Correctamundo!

Master
    Bit more reading for you Ken, should keep you out of trouble for a while.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=353899

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Bit more reading for you Ken, should keep you out of trouble for a while.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=353899
    Thanks Bob, all good stuff.

The knowledge here on Rolex is amazing. The fake spotters here are much more skilled than the WUS resident spotter.

Not the first time these guys have been discussed on here.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...do-I-stand-now

Craftsman
    US based but some great stuff.

http://www.10pastten.com

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    The knowledge here on Rolex is amazing. The fake spotters here are much more skilled than the WUS resident spotter.

The knowledge on VRF is even better. There are for example fake cases doing the rounds, all marked with the correct numbers and text, the problem is that the font used is slightly off.

And so it goes on to fake straps/blades, hands, inserts, crowns. Some of the folks that frequent that forum are internationally recognised and used by auction houses to validate watches hence can be trusted. I believe Mike and Heywood fall into this category for Mil subs.

When you buy the seller, you are effectively buying his knowledge and expertise, and if that means paying a bit more then it's worth it. One thing is certain is that they would not risk their reputation knowingly selling anyone a pup.

The same knowledge exists for other watches, whether PP, Blancpain, Omega, etc, it's just a question of finding it. It took me 3 years to find a buy my BBFF 6 years ago. This year it was authenticated by Blancpain, but to be honest the guys that helped me, know considerably more about these early watches than Blancpain do.

Blessed are the nurds

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    The knowledge on VRF is even better. There are for example fake cases doing the rounds, all marked with the correct numbers and text, the problem is that the font used is slightly off.

And so it goes on to fake straps/blades, hands, inserts, crowns. Some of the folks that frequent that forum are internationally recognised and used by auction houses to validate watches hence can be trusted. I believe Mike and Heywood fall into this category for Mil subs.

When you buy the seller, you are effectively buying his knowledge and expertise, and if that means paying a bit more then it's worth it. One thing is certain is that they would not risk their reputation knowingly selling anyone a pup.

The same knowledge exists for other watches, whether PP, Blancpain, Omega, etc, it's just a question of finding it. It took me 3 years to find a buy my BBFF 6 years ago. This year it was authenticated by Blancpain, but to be honest the guys that helped me, know considerably more about these early watches than Blancpain do.

Blessed are the nurds
    Agreed. I have read through a lot of threads on that forum and yes the knowledge is absolutely incredible, just as it is following the discussions about early Speedmasters on the Omega Forum. You ask any question and someone will answer it.

The VRF is useful as well for maintaining a list of 'approved' vintage Rolex dealers, that have been given positive recommendations by the membership. I was pleased to see that the guy that I bought my last watch off is on the current list and I did ping Haywood a link to the sale and he didn't see anything obviously wrong and has even offered to have a look at the watch for me at some point. I also showed the link to Bob (bobdog) who as you know has a stunning vintage Rolex collection.

The generosity of people on here to share their knowledge and experience and go out of their way to help you is incredible.