closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bewildering Tudor

Master

Bewildering Tudor

I have owned a couple of Tudor models in the past including the currently overpriced 79090.
    I would be in the market for another one but none of the modern versions eg Black Bay or Pelagos does it for me. I would probably go for the sub again but the prices make no sense atm when you can buy a Rolex sub for not much more.
    So I have been looking at some of the older models and the choice is bewildering and the prices so varied.
    What is the Archeo and are they any good? They seem reasonably priced and are a bit different.
    Hydronaut, Sport Collection, GranTour, Heritage Chronograph, Advisor, utterly confusing.

What's confusing about it? You understand the difference between a Pelagos and a Black Bay - but not the difference between an advisor and a Grantour? "What is the Archeo" - I don't even know how to answer that. Bizarre post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy, or don't buy. The choice is yours
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Isn't discovering new watches and tracking them down, half the fun of watch collecting? Isn't a range of prices a good thing?

Just put "Vintage Tudor" into google images or Instagram, find something you like the look of and research it. Rinse and repeat?

Master
    I don't think Tudor have really had a point in their history where they were churning out poorly made garbage so it's a safe bet anything will be decent in that respect. I suppose it's just a case of finding something you like the look of at a price you are happy with. Doesn't really matter what the name of the model is really.

To be fair to the guy, I didn't know what an Archeo was either. On Googling it, it seems it's just a re-cased Black Bay, with a different handset, movement, dial, crystal, crown and bracelet, so I can see why he found it confusing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    To be fair to the guy, I didn't know what an Archeo was either. On Googling it, it seems it's just a re-cased Black Bay, with a different handset, movement, dial, crystal, crown and bracelet, so I can see why he found it confusing.
    Thanks for the sensible reply. I'm getting used to the other type lol.
    Most quality makes seem to have clear cut pricing and desirability eg if you fancy an Air King it is easy enough to ascertain a range of values, say tatty/no history for £...... to mint full set £...... so that you know what you need to budget. Apart from the fashionable Submariners it seems much more difficult with Tudor due to large range of styles and prices that seem to vary wildly.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 21st November 2017 at 16:52. Reason: tappus interruptus

Craftsman
    I think you might get more useful replies with more specific questions?

Are Tudor watches good? - What are we comparing it to?
    What's a good price? - Relative to what?
    Isn't all the names confusing? - Yes?
    What is the Archeo? - What details were you looking for that you didn't have?

Please don't take this as sarcasm, we all want to talk watches, but your original post was a bit wide it it's latitude perhaps?

Why not start by telling us what you like in a watch, what sort of budgets work for you and what sizes suit your wrist, and Im sure useful replies will come as a result :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    I think you might get more useful replies with more specific questions?

Are Tudor watches good? - What are we comparing it to?
    What's a good price? - Relative to what?
    Isn't all the names confusing? - Yes?
    What is the Archeo? - What details were you looking for that you didn't have?

Please don't take this as sarcasm, we all want to talk watches, but your original post was a bit wide it it's latitude perhaps?

Why not start by telling us what you like in a watch, what sort of budgets work for you and what sizes suit your wrist, and Im sure useful replies will come as a result :)
    I appreciate what you put here and I can see your point but the wide latitude of the question kind of reflects that of the make eg not very easy to fathom lol.
    I like sports watches rather than dress. Fat wrists. I don't have a set budget but I'm a sucker for a bargain.

Craftsman
    Sometimes when there's no obvious starting point, just picking somewhere to start is good enough.

So something 38mm and above - do you like Chronos? There's quite a few old chronographs which are very nice indeed

Master
    Sometimes when there's no obvious starting point, just picking somewhere to start is good enough.

So something 38mm and above - do you like Chronos? There's quite a few old chronographs which are very nice indeed
    I quite like the Daytona (who wouldn't) but the Tudor Big Block just seems like a big fussy lump and not cheap either. I also not keen on the garish colours of some models.

Craftsman
    Well the Big Block and the Monte Carlo are the main two...

Craftsman
    A good way of finding a new watch is to look at all the watches by a brand, set the case size to 38, 39, 40 mm and the sort by price.

There's the oysterdate, the tiger chrono and the Prince. These are all in that size range. Smaller is unlikely to suit your wrist if you like sportier watches

What about a 79270 Chrono with a grey dial and 12 hour bezel? That's 40 mm and under 4k?

Master
    A good way of finding a new watch is to look at all the watches by a brand, set the case size to 38, 39, 40 mm and the sort by price.

There's the oysterdate, the tiger chrono and the Prince. These are all in that size range. Smaller is unlikely to suit your wrist if you like sportier watches

What about a 79270 Chrono with a grey dial and 12 hour bezel? That's 40 mm and under 4k?
    Found an old thread about it;
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...rono-Ref-79270

That's not too bad actually

Craftsman
    I thought it was a strange rectangular looking number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    For what it's worth I just thought that if you like the old subs then why not get one? They have risen in price and are likely to continue to track their Rolex cousins but that also makes them a safer place for your cash than a newer model.
    I like the Black Bay Heritage models precisely because they are a good modern take on the vintage subs, the Ranger appeals too as does the 36mm BB. Some of the dressier models do seem overly Michael Kors to me but most of the major manufacturers produce similar equivalents on their range.
    In summary go vintage or buy anything current that you like the look of but but used to avoid the inevitable first owner hit.

Looking for rectangular watches at the moment and I have not seen the Archeo before, interesting watch although the bulged sides might not work for me.
    Time to start checking them out.

So a completely different watch then!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I quite like the Daytona (who wouldn't)
    Me. Hate them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Looking for rectangular watches at the moment and I have not seen the Archeo before, interesting watch although the bulged sides might not work for me.
    Time to start checking them out.
    One with B&P just sold on bay for £355. I should have bought it. Someone with big feedback did, possibly a dealer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    For what it's worth I just thought that if you like the old subs then why not get one? They have risen in price and are likely to continue to track their Rolex cousins but that also makes them a safer place for your cash than a newer model.
    I like the Black Bay Heritage models precisely because they are a good modern take on the vintage subs, the Ranger appeals too as does the 36mm BB. Some of the dressier models do seem overly Michael Kors to me but most of the major manufacturers produce similar equivalents on their range.
    In summary go vintage or buy anything current that you like the look of but but used to avoid the inevitable first owner hit.
    I've already got the GMT and tbh I'm a bit precious with it so I think I would probably be the same with a sub unless it was a ratbag and not many of those around especially here lol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I've already got the GMT and tbh I'm a bit precious with it so I think I would probably be the same with a sub...
    Know exactly what you mean hence a lower value sub has its place 😀