closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ashes 2017/2018

Well done!

Master
    Tense and well done England, half way there but 4 down... Swingometer still favours Aus but what a crucial opening hour/session tomorrow! TEST MATCH cricket!

The one thng I really miss being an expat is TMS :-(

Got to love the Barmy Army's response to Australia's DRS situation...

Master
    Luv It! Cant wait to see the final days play - would be epic if England can pull this off!

The tension!

Real test match stuff.

I doubt we can pull it off but plenty of excitement.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

this is what is so good about test cricket.
    i actually don't mind if they lose (and it’s only a slim chance they will save this test), i just want them to give a toss, never give up and apply themselves.
    1 or 2 key wickets taken in the first innings would have meant a more achievable total on the last day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Tense and well done England, half way there but 4 down... Swingometer still favours Aus but what a crucial opening hour/session tomorrow! TEST MATCH cricket!

Guerrilla cricket mate - its far more entertaining than TMS too

Blog Entries
    Yes, quite a match, trying to catch a glimpse via an illigal stream every now and then.

Lovely stadium Adelaide, watched Merv (moustache) Hughes plying there in the olden days.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post

You should be able to use iPlayer Radio for TMS on 5 Live.

Why are there no highlights on terrestrial telly? :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Why are there no highlights on terrestrial telly? :-(

Money.

My alarm is always set to 5:15am on a weekday as I have to be at work before 7am as most of my suppliers are based in Europe so generally 1-2 hours ahead of GMT. Wednesday is also main planning day, most stressful and busiest day of the week! I've just set the alarm 30 minutes early for tomorrow....

Good thing about a day/night match is that it's maybe not until around early afternoon they will start the day's play so hopefully the Sun will have burnt off any dew/moisture in the air? Hopefully meaning if England can see the 18 overs out before the new ball arrives (and just as importantly when the DRS reviews are reset!) with a couple of recognised batsmen at the crease then who knows.....?

You can't beat the drama of Test cricket.

Cheers!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by CafeRacer View Post
    ... if England can see the 18 overs out before the new ball arrives (and just as importantly when the DRS reviews are reset!) with a couple of recognised batsmen at the crease then who knows.....?
    You can't beat the drama of Test cricket.
    DRS no longer resets - once they're gone, they're gone for the innings.
    As much as it would be funny to beat them with the winning run coming from someone who could have been reviewed out, I hope we can do it without.

p.s. I'm an early riser too - I reckon I'll switch it on about 5:30 but will watch it from the start of play fast-forwarding over adverts, drinks etc to catch up with live
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 5th December 2017 at 22:06.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    DRS no longer resets - once they're gone, they're gone for the innings.
    As much as it would be funny to beat them with the winning run coming from someone who could have been reviewed out, I hope we can do it without.

p.s. I'm an early riser too - I reckon I'll switch it on about 5:30 but will watch it from the start of play fast-forwarding over adverts, drinks etc to catch up with live
    I didn't know DRS no longer resets, thanks for that.
    I'm just thinking as usual, I'm always hopeful we'll make a good go of it, then when I wake up at 7am and put the score on, we'll have collapsed and be out of it and 2-0 down.
    Fingers crossed for 1-1 though

Master
    Groan, last 7 wickets for 64.

Woke up at 4:40, put wife's glasses on (which are an opposite prescription to mine but just thought I was bleary-eyed), fell down stairs and started watching. Never did catch up with real time.

Oh well...

Blog Entries
    What a difference a day makes

I think most expected England to lose - but going out with a whimper wasn't the way we wanted to see it. I did want to see Root go on and get much more, but not to be. In context its not a bad 4th innings score underlying the drivel that was the first innings batting.

Batting is a massive concern - we don't look like a team that can score over 300, even on a good day. Vince really is a liability and Malan hangs around but has not inspired or made big runs. Plus Cook is in an alarming slump, Moeen has gone missing, Bairstow looks bored at 8 or whatever he comes in at and the rest are a bit meh. We're totally unbalanced without Stokes' x-factor.

Fingers crossed he can somehow make it into the team for the next Test....

I was listening to TMS yesterday, and they were saying that although Ben Stokes is currently in New Zealand playing for Canterbury there is no prospect of him being selected for the remaining Tests, although he might possibly be selected for the white ball squads due to be announced shortly.

Alex Hales is available for selection, though.

Personally, I think that from now on any England batsman who gets out by waving their bat at a wide one should forfeit their match fee.

Personally, I think that from now on any England batsman who gets out by waving their bat at a wide one should forfeit a testicle.

I'm hoping that they call up Tammy Beaumont. She's had a good year with the bat.

Personally, I think that from now on any England batsman who gets out by waving their bat at a wide one should forfeit a testicle.
    I know, in the words of Geoffrey you can’t get any runs in the Pavillion. Playing outside your eye line is a recipe to getting out as you can’t react to seam movement. Stokes is rumoured to join for 4th test and maybe Hales to join the tour as well. My big worry is I think the first two tests could have suited England more. But we have been out bowled for most of the first two tests.

All depressingly predictable, as was some of the selection of the touring party in the first instance. Given that Stuart Broad is embarrassingly petrified of the ball when batting, and then runs in and just about musters 80mph when he bowls, can anyone explain why he is picked over Liam Plunkett?

And only the ECB would shoot themselves in the foot by straight away deciding not to take a player of the calibre of Ben Stokes. If it ends up with him not being charged with anything, and it turns out he WAS actually defending others from bullying thugs, then it will have been disgraceful treatment of the guy, and weakened our side for nothing.Why could he not have travelled to Oz, and if the CPS subsequently announced charges, simply been sent home?

And Bairstow or Ali, preferably Bairstow, should be shifted up to bat at 3, and prove how good they are. Batting 7, normally with the tail, is no good for one of our best batters, and a waste of talent.
    Last edited by hhhh; 7th December 2017 at 00:22.

Seems a bit of time off has helped the team get their heads in the right place. Better intent, though the Cook and Vince are a worry. Vince simply does not have the capacity to concentrate at Test level, shame as he looks a talented cricketer.

Malan scoring our first century, I was very worried no one would get one this tour. Prefer Bairstow higher than Ali, I think Ali is better when he can counter and Bairstow is better at building platforms. Minimum 400 (even 450) really, as the wicket seems ok and lightening fast outfield.

Thoughts on the Stoneman dismissal?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Thoughts on the Stoneman dismissal?
    Inconclusive - should have stuck with on-field umpires decision. I would say the same if he'd been given out initially.
    If he says it hit his guard, it hit his guard. Did it brush his glove as well? Maybe.

Inconclusive - should have stuck with on-field umpires decision. I would say the same if he'd been given out initially.
    If he says it hit his guard, it hit his guard. Did it brush his glove as well? Maybe.
    +1.

Inconclusive, therefore NOT OUT!

Yea - I'd have gone with onfield decision as opposed to benefit of the doubt too. Strange one really as Aleem Dar has been very good this series.

Not much else can go wrong for England in this series, so it's good that they're fighting back, and letting their cricket do the talking.

A fantastic innings from Dawid Malan, and yet again Jonny Bairstow rises to the occasion. Hopefully he can complete his century tomorrow. We've still got Moeen and Chris Woakes to come, so what do we reckon - is 400 on?

Let's hope so, as this game is really our last chance. Mentally, Australia must believe that the series is theirs, so England need to knock some of the self-belief out of them. The batsmen are doing their bit at long last, so it will soon be time for the bowlers to stand up. There would be some irony in beating Australia at the last Test to be held at the WACA, given our appalling record at this particular ground.

How we miss Ben Stokes.

Master
    305 for 4 .... they can still screw it up

they look very nervous when interviewed, off the field ........ I realise "opening" is difficult but Cook is really not helping with his very poor performances

we can only hope

The WACA always has a very fast wicket, full of bounce and a silly quick outfield so usually plenty of runs guarenteed to be scored, just hope England can bat for 2 full sessions tomorrow. 450-500 minimum! Then maybe an hour or so at the Aussies?

Good innings from Stoneman and of course an excellent fifth-wicket stand between Malan with well deserved maiden century and Bairstow. Just hope they can continue to bat well at the start of the second day's play.

Going back to '78 being England's only victory at the WACA, it was of course a weakened Australia due to Kerry Packer's WSC, so if England can do something special in this test and win it then that would be an even greater achievement. In the last test at the current ground too.

C'mon England!

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    305 for 4 .... they can still screw it up

they look very nervous when interviewed, off the field ........ I realise "opening" is difficult but Cook is really not helping with his very poor performances

we can only hope
    England have struggled to find an opening partner for Cook ever since Andrew Strauss retired, so we're not exactly over-run with options when it comes to opening batsmen, and all too often Joe Root has been forced to the crease with the score in single figures. No wonder he prefers to bat at four.

With Cook, he's only ever one gritty, ugly big score away from a return to form. If he can grind one out in the second innings of this game, he should be fine for the last two, and Stoneman looks better than some we've tried in recent years.

Any other suggestions?

I've been watching England play for 40+ years. I wish I had a quid for every time this discussion has taken place.

Still a long way to go, I think the pressure and expectation on Root of being our best player and captain maybe a bit too much. So often we seam to pile on the pressure and almost seam to hope they fail. Had high hopes but not sure we can win the series, I agree they look afraid.

Poor decision today for Stoneman, to over turn the on field umpire there has to be clear irrefutable evidence that the original decision was wrong and that did not look the case to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    Still a long way to go, I think the pressure and expectation on Root of being our best player and captain maybe a bit too much. So often we seam to pile on the pressure and almost seam to hope they fail. Had high hopes but not sure we can win the series, I agree they look afraid.

Poor decision today for Stoneman, to over turn the on field umpire there has to be clear irrefutable evidence that the original decision was wrong and that did not look the case to me.
    England have a history of making the best player Captain. I suppose eventually they'll learn.

Blog Entries
    450... surely?

Will still be a draw though...

I hate not having highlights... it’s beyond irritating 😠

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Will still be a draw though...
    Especially with heavy rain forecast Sunday and Monday
    I’m going today so looking forward to a double century...well, we can dream, can’t we!

400 if we get there (now with the tail are the crease) is 100 short of what England should have made, the bowlers really have to up their game to keep England in it.

Well that was a shockingly bad morning session

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    368 for 4 to 403 all out.
    Wow impressive collapse.
    What a glorious chance missed to grind down the Aussies.

I've always liked Marais Erasmus as an umpire.

Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    368 for 4 to 403 all out.
    Wow impressive collapse.
    What a glorious chance missed to grind down the Aussies.
    An England collapse is a better guarantee than Apple offers. You can bank on it. Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    An England collapse is a better guarantee than Apple offers. You can bank on it. Embarrassing.
    Well at least they keep us guessing as to whether its top order, mid order, tail or total team failure.....

should have been 450 really, 400 looks a bit light and Steve Smith is looking ominous. Broad has looked tame and we show our pace issues on a surface like the WACA which is just begging for a 90 mile bouncer.

Tomorrow - must get Australia out for 350 max. Post 200 second inning and 250 to win, should be enough. Surface is already breaking up and some uneven bounce.

Innings defeat, anyone?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    Innings defeat, anyone?
    #hopingforrain

We are getting a batting lesson, Smith is class

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    #hopingforrain
    Forecast Monday now, maybe later Sunday.
    All over by tea tomorrow, I reckon.

Craftsman
    England are gutless - no heart or fight.
    That has got to come back to the captain.

Lyons said the Aussies would finish careers - Anderson and Broad are finished, Cook is finished.
    Root should be finished as captain.

Craftsman
    This is embarrassing, 57 overs from our main strike bowlers and not a wicket between them.
    Might as well bring them all home now.

Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    Forecast Monday now, maybe later Sunday.
    All over by tea tomorrow, I reckon.
    Just heard on the radio, rain early Sunday now.

Master
    they are sh1t - I don't mind them losing as long as they lose "well"