closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hard drive tv recorders.

Hard drive tv recorders.

At the moment we have Sky which we are thinking of ditching. I am trying to understand what we could get as a Sky equivalent for recording programmes whilst watching but simple to use.

There seems to be a few hard disc recorders on the market but information is a bit sporadic, unclear or non existent.

Any advice. I am looking for all freeview channels +history, discovery and geopgraphic and the ability to record two (if necessary whilst watching another. Not too bothered about films or sport.

Thanks

Master
    I got one of these "free" when I had a BT broadband subscription.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ISS61KE

It does the job, easy to use. Twin tuner. There's a YouView app which is handy when you are out and have forgotten to set the recorder.

Craftsman
    We have a HUMAX, it's never missed a beat, and very easy to use. There are models for both Freeview and Freesat (since you have Sky now I assume you have a dish). Sometimes they have factory refurbished models on their website.

Thanks people, I was looking at a Humax but assistant didn't seem to know what it would do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    Thanks people, I was looking at a Humax but assistant didn't seem to know what it would do.
    I've had 2 Humax over the years and they were fine in their day. Not sure why but they seemed to lag behind as things moved on. Maybe the newer models are OK. Suspect they will al have it but do check for twin tuners.

EDIT: Have a look at some reviews:

https://www.whathifi.com/awards/2017/set-top-boxes

Master
    Our not particularly new (2-3 years old) Sony, simply allows you to plug a USB hard drive in the back and then you have one click recording via the onscreen program guide (freesat or freeview, our telly has tuners for both). It works very well though as far as I'm aware it doesn't have the bells and whistles like whole series recording. It suits our purposes though and, bearing in mind I used an old USB drive, was effectively free.

Master
    I've had a couple of Humax recorders over the years, currently still have an HD Freeview one, the exact model number escapes me, but other than the remote chucking it (got a new one on eBay) it has always been fine with no issues.

Like the previous poster my Sony TV of around 3 years vintage has the same record facility to a USB drive, and it worked as well, but I did miss the series record and stuff like that

Cheers

Kevin

Another vote for Humax,go for the twin tuner models.They can be had with built in HDR too for recording all that 1080i sweetness.

I've got a twin tuner Panasonic (also with Blu-Ray drive).

Would buy again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    We have a HUMAX, it's never missed a beat, and very easy to use. There are models for both Freeview and Freesat (since you have Sky now I assume you have a dish). Sometimes they have factory refurbished models on their website.
    We, too, have a Humax and echo the above. Ours is a Freesat model to complement our Freeview Sony television.

Humax can be hit and miss, each updated model appears to bring problems as well as benefits, Ive got two and the oldest one has issues with recording now (about four years old), the newer one with 1tB drive is generally ok apart from the occasional crash (I use it to watch things like BT sport directly) but they obviously havent heard of a brand interface as driving both needs a different set of brain waves. Also have a Panasonic which is the main one that we use everyday, so far hasnt missed a beat but the user interface brings back memories of 1990's video recorders - clunky but works in its won way. I think that the Sky boxes are better thought through and designed but if you want to save money by dumping the subscription you will need to accept some compromises.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I've got a twin tuner Panasonic (also with Blu-Ray drive).

Would buy again.
    I've had one of those, BR recorder too. Lasted five years so far. Quality is excellent but it was over £400 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I've had one of those, BR recorder too. Lasted five years so far. Quality is excellent but it was over £400 at the time.
    Yes, mine was £400/£450 too.