closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hifi recommendation: A quality CD deck? (SACD playback preferred)

Hifi recommendation: A quality CD deck? (SACD playback preferred)

I know there are many on here who know and enjoy their hifi equipment - I was hoping for a recommendation..?

While I stream most of my music, now that my Denon SACD player has decided to give up reading them, I've really started to miss, good old wired audio, and fancy a new treat.

There's not a massive range any more, and I appreciate that SACD is a format that never really took off, although I believe it's popular in Japan.

While a universal player is an option, I'd be quite happy with a standalone CD player for simplicity.

I do like the idea of the Pioneer PD-50, as I can hook up an iPod from the front, or an Apple TV from the back and take advantage of the onboard DAC, but this isn't a deal breaker if the right player didn't have the option.

Budget of around £600 and happy to buy pre-owned, if I could find a good marketplace for them... eBay doesn't have the best choice from what I've seen.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide

Journeyman
    A few of the online communities/2nd hand market places that I would suggest is hifiwigwam and pinkfishmedia. I've got most of my HiFi stuff used from these two forums and never had any issues. Also a lot of knowledgable folks that can help you choose something that suits your system.

As for suggestions, I won't delve into that one since I don't own a SACD player and it will greatly depend on what the rest of your system looks like but I believe Marantz and Oppo SACD players are well regarded by most experts.

Arcam CD37 is SADC and can still be found used within your range. Fanthorpes in Hull usually have a good range of used Arcam and I've bought from them in the past.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 20th November 2017 at 18:31.

Thanks to both of you - really useful info and with that help, I've discovered another contender, The Marantz SA8005.

Interestingly, after finding the Marantz, I ended up finding a favourable review comparison with the CD37, so I'm on the right track

Craftsman
    The NAD C 516BEE and the Oppo BDP-103 are both high performing and reasonably priced.

Master
    Oppo is a good choice. Plays CD/SACD, is a great DVD player and is well equipped for connectivity within an audio system too.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    The NAD C 516BEE and the Oppo BDP-103 are both high performing and reasonably priced.
    Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    Oppo is a good choice. Plays CD/SACD, is a great DVD player and is well equipped for connectivity within an audio system too.
    More options, thanks. The NAD isn't SACD compatible, but the Oppo UDP-203 is getting amazing reviews...

I'm just not sure about it being a universal player. Seems more value for money to have all the extra compatibility, but I like the Pioneer and Marantz simplicity of concentrating purely on Stereo Audio, which is really the point of what I was trying to achieve - music performance.

It looks like the Oppo can do what I want it to, but adds in ultra HD blu-ray and a whole host of other features. I can't decide whether this is an advantage, or simply complicates matters and components

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    More options, thanks. The NAD isn't SACD compatible, but the Oppo UDP-203 is getting amazing reviews...

I'm just not sure about it being a universal player. Seems more value for money to have all the extra compatibility, but I like the Pioneer and Marantz simplicity of concentrating purely on Stereo Audio, which is really the point of what I was trying to achieve - music performance.

It looks like the Oppo can do what I want it to, but adds in ultra HD blu-ray and a whole host of other features. I can't decide whether this is an advantage, or simply complicates matters and components
    I know what you mean but the drive they use is a universal type and the rest is just a modular design. I use mine purely for dvd replay and don’t utilise it’s connectivity, but a friend replaced a high-end CD player that had broken with one in a very nice system. Every time I hear it playing both standard and SACD it sounds very nice. I doubt you’d regret it myself. Best of luck.

Decided in the end on a Marantz SA8005.

While an Oppo universal player had a lot going for it, it plays formats that I already have, so I feel I'd end up doubling up on features whereas with the Marantz, its focus is clear, super audio. Even when streaming from my other devices, I can use the onboard DAC on the Marantz to clean up the signal, so it will become the 'go to' hub of my system.

Hopefully this one will last me for years to come and keep CD's fresh.

After speaking to Audible Fidelity, they reduced the Marantz further to £549. With an RRP of £999, I'm delighted and will anxiously await the delivery tomorrow

Now, time to drop hints to the wife that a new turntable for Xmas would be just the ticket.