closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Rolex Advice

Craftsman

First Rolex Advice

I apologise if this has been done to death, but having looked through some recent posts about it I am struggling to find an answer.

I personally do not like the date bubble, is it called a cyclops?
    So I have been trying to find models without it and have so far found the Seadweller. I think this is a good model for me as I spend a lot of my spare time in the sea and I like the look of it. Although I think I will stick to my G-Shock for actual Jetski / Sailing days.

My budget is around the £5k mark, happy to increase it a bit more if I am a little shy of the right watch.
    It's not for investment purposes, I want to wear it and enjoy it.

Other than the 16600, are there any others I should be considering?

Many thanks
    Andy

Do you need the date function?

Mike Wood at The Old Watch Shop has a SD within budget.

http://www.theoldwatchshop.com/rolex.html

Master
    SD would be a great choice, although they seem to be getting harder to find in decent condition for under £5k. If you are not dead set on a dive watch and don't need a date then an explorer 1 could be had brand new or used. For perfect proportions my pick would be the explorer ref 114270.

Master
    The Seadweller would be my choice, but you could also consider the Submariner (without the date)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Do you need the date function?
    No, I dont need it, although it is a useful feature. I would consider one without it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

I've been weighing that one up for a while. Might be a good excuse to plan a trip to the seaside.

Craftsman

Ooh, that looks ideal. I take it from the fact that you posted it that its a trustworthy shop?

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I've been weighing that one up for a while. Might be a good excuse to plan a trip to the seaside.
    I have absolutely no idea why it remains unsold, looks a great watch and Mike is a top guy to buy from.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Ooh, that looks ideal. I take it from the fact that you posted it that its a trustworthy shop?
    Absolutely, Mike is a member here and one of the countries top Rolex experts, you are in safe hands with this one.

No, I dont need it, although it is a useful feature. I would consider one without it.
    That opens up your choices a lot! As already suggested, no date Sub would fit your sea style and budget.

Mike is one of the best.

Your options are quite wide.

16600, is my all time favorite watch. I did own lots of them, and fine to just two long term keepers now.

The 14060 non-date Sub is one of my favorite watches too, and a later Chronometer rated version is just about available in budget.

The 16610 Sub is doable, and after the SD 16600, would be about the best/most for your money.

But... You could also get a newer ceramic non-date Sub for your budget.

There are then the Explorers.

Finally, I know you mentioned the date bubble, and of course the 16610 has this, but I wouldn't let ikr put you off, and is also consider a well priced Date Just. I wear a DJII on a regular basis these days and I love it.

Any way. You have lots of choice. Happy Hunting!
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Ceramic non date sub would be ideal.

Slightly above £5k but not by much.

Master
    Best advice i will give you and is often overlooked on TZ is make the effort and try the watch on before you buy.

My first Rolex was a Sub date non ceramic with the rattly bracelet and at the time i thought it looked small but hey it's a Rolex.I had come from Omegas which at 41mm seemed much bigger than the 40mm Rolex and the bracelet felt like quality.

It lasted about 12 months before i decided it wasn't for me...too small and quality of bracelet made it feel cheap.

Moved on to newer Rolex models which feel and look better for me.

So my advice is always try before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    The dial looks tremendously fresh - it's it usual for tritium of that age to have not yellowed slightly?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The dial looks tremendously fresh - it's it usual for tritium of that age to have not yellowed slightly?
    . Often do to some extent, but not all. Some stay very white, I have a 1978 sub that has super white markers and others from the same year are various yellowish shades. Various theories around including sun exposed tending towards whiter and sun deprived tending towards yellow/oranger colouring. The particular dial batch will have something to do with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    . Often do to some extent, but not all. Some stay very white, I have a 1978 sub that has super white markers and others from the same year are various yellowish shades. Various theories around including sun exposed tending towards whiter and sun deprived tending towards yellow/oranger colouring. The particular dial batch will have something to do with it as well.
    Thank you for the information - much appreciated

Blog Entries
    Subs and Sea Dwellers are firm favourites on here. However when I asked the same question a while back I was advised to look at Datejusts and other models as well.

I didn't like the cyclops either but ended up buying a DJ with one and now it doesn't bother me at all.

Try on as many models as you can, it's worth it.
    Ian

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-advice-please

Craftsman
    Absolutely, Mike is a member here and one of the countries top Rolex experts, you are in safe hands with this one.
    Perhaps I can get one of my developers to help with his website :p

You could also get a nice secondhand Milgauss 116400 GV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not much choice if you want a date function. It's the SD or DSSD and DSSD is out of budget
    Last edited by JPCain86; 20th November 2017 at 19:40.

Can’t go wrong with a SD. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If you don’t mind not having a date Miltonaires has a couple of 14060m’s in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Or even better, a few mint 114060's with a majority of their warranty have gone refently on SC for under 5k

Craftsman
    I’m would going for a new EP1

Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    I’m would going for a new EP1
    You can see a Dr about that these days ;)

Craftsman
    Could I ask, is this a problem?

"The original certificate is not present"

Could I ask, is this a problem?

"The original certificate is not present"
    No, not for a watch of this age. The original guarantee only lasted a year and people often threw them away once they had expired. The older the Watch the less chance of everything being there. Certainly if the watch was 5 to 10 years old you might reasonably expect the original guarantee card to be there because more people are savvy about shoving everything to the back of the wardrobe now.

There are loads of threads on here about 'box and papers', but in this instance it is an honest listing and I am sure had the original certificate still been around the price may have been a little higher.

Craftsman
    No, not for a watch of this age. The original guarantee only lasted a year and people often threw them away once they had expired. The older the Watch the less chance of everything being there. Certainly if the watch was 5 to 10 years old you might reasonably expect the original guarantee card to be there because more people are savvy about shoving everything to the back of the wardrobe now.

There are loads of threads on here about 'box and papers', but in this instance it is an honest listing and I am sure had the original certificate still been around the price may have been a little higher.
    Excellent, thank you for letting me know, I am in full on shopping about mode :)

Not have the original box and warranty papers, whilst might not be an issue with the actual watch, will have a massive effect on the value of the watch, and generally the older the watch the more valuable the warranty papers and box!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Not have the original box and warranty papers, whilst might not be an issue with the actual watch, will have a massive effect on the value of the watch, and generally the older the watch the more valuable the warranty papers and box!
    But it does reach a point that in reality you are unlikely to find box and papers and if you did there will be a huge premium to pay. For example, if someone was hunting for a 5513 or a Red Sub or a 1665 the chances of finding anything other than the watch are extremely slim. Sure, full sets still exist, but they are extremely rare and priced accordingly. In those cases the Watch price doesn't suffer for them not being there, it's more the other way round, pay through the nose if they are.

Craftsman
    if you can do without the date then look at an explorer

But it does reach a point that in reality you are unlikely to find box and papers and if you did there will be a huge premium to pay. For example, if someone was hunting for a 5513 or a Red Sub or a 1665 the chances of finding anything other than the watch are extremely slim. Sure, full sets still exist, but they are extremely rare and priced accordingly. In those cases the Watch price doesn't suffer for them not being there, it's more the other way round, pay through the nose if they are.
    I'm sorry, but that didn't make sense. Of course the price suffers from them not being there.

Yes, you are more likely to find lose watches with vintage models.

Any way. This has been done to death.

The OP is talking about buying their first Rolex, and I disagree with some of the comments, simple as that.

Of course you can save money if you go for a loose watch, and that is up to the buyer. I haven't met a collector who wouldn't prefer the full set, but priced accordingly a loose watch could be a good buy.

No papers and a recent service is no substitute on my opinion, and adds little to the long term ownership.

At the end of the day decide what you want, and buy the best you can for the budget you set aside- simple as that.

Apprentice
    Is a Rolex really worth it? There have fake Rolexes which look as good as the real thing but lacks functionality though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_vice View Post
    Is a Rolex really worth it? There have fake Rolexes which look as good as the real thing but lacks functionality though.
    Whoops !!

Master
    That wasn't the best 2nd post I've ever read...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_vice View Post
    But with a real Rolex women will want your body every day(or men if that's your vice...)the golf club and the lodge will invite you with open arms and the BMW/Audi dealers will allow you to photograph your new watch inside the latest model.

Master
    Hahaha

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    But with a real Rolex women will want your body every day(or men if that's your vice...)the golf club and the lodge will invite you with open arms and the BMW/Audi dealers will allow you to photograph your new watch inside the latest model.
    Never happened to me unfortunately, strictly Honda and no masonic duties involved

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    How does a real Rolex women (sic) vary from any other?