closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: House Buying advice please

House Buying advice please

Given where I am right now I can’t seem to see the wood from the trees, so would appreciate some house purchase advice.

I am buying the property to live in for the foreseeable future. Also I am rubbish at DIY and project managing any sort of house renovation. The property in question is above budget (£500kish depending on what we finally agree post divorce) and seems stuck in a time wrap. I can live with the decor but am concerned that it may need full electrics, heating and potentially the bathroom done. Also the windows given that the double glazing looks from the 70s.

So any advice appreciated thanks

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-70168904.html

Not sure what advice your after but if you employ the services of a surveyor they can tell you if you need a rewire, new heating/plumbing etc etc. I'm in the process of buying a similar property condition wise, I've set aside £100k refurbishment budget. Getting proper tradesman in soon adds up. (Mine is a 5 bed and I'm putting a new roof on and working my way down to include new electrics, heating/plumbing, bathrooms, kitchen, windows/doors, plastering, decorating, flooring etc). If you have no prior experience be warned it can be pretty daunting and stressful. If you want an easy life, try and buy a property which has already been updated/modernised.

Master
    Very difficult to say without anyone actually seeing the property, but taking a look at those pictures the house doesn’t seem that big. I’ve bought investment properties that needed practically everything doing and done the whole lot on budgets of 25k to 40k. Admittedly for renting out but I do things to quite a nice standard as it ensures longevity of tenants.

The two most important tips I could give you are:

1. Get reliable tradesmen - if you don’t know any get recommendations from friends. That is the key to success or failure in my view.

2. Budget - you can spend 2k on a new kitchen, or 5k or 50k. Go to somewhere like Howdens and they can price you a nice looking kitchen for a reasonable cost. This is the same with bathrooms etc. Just make sure you do a proper budget at the beginning. And get prices not quotes.

I'm a surveyor, employ one. I'm not local but best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    2 years ago, we moved from a modern house to a 400 year old timber framed house that needed every single room done, including new electrics etc.
    The living room had been made into a bedsit, with half of it walled off as a wet room for a wheel chair.

I could see the potential, but my wife couldn't.

We paid for a proper survey and it was well worth it, they highlighted all the issues, checked the wooden frame etc. It also means you are protected by the surveyor in what they say.

It has taken two years until the house on the inside is done. We have had to live in rooms that were not very nice, they weren't dirty, but had decor that looked 30 years old.
    Consider if you are prepared to do the same as it wasn't easy, there is no way my wife would do this again.

The upside is you can get a good deal and make the house worth a lot more than you paid for it. This house doesn't look too bad.

Employ a surveyor. The report will be a major bargaining chip during negotiations and should pay for itself.

Craftsman
    I just replaced a kitchen, gave myself a healthy budget and exceeded it by 80% without really trying......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    That’s not a lot of house for £550,000.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    If I didn’t know better I’d have thought that was a joke valuation. Absolute madness.

Master
    Apologies OP, my post is of no help at all, but the houses prices in England never fail to amaze me.

I know its all relative but £500k in N Ireland (and I suspect parts of Scotland) buys something like this

https://www.propertypal.com/50-brown...431422/photo-8

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Apologies OP, my post is of no help at all, but the houses prices in England never fail to amaze me.

I know its all relative but £500k in N Ireland (and I suspect parts of Scotland) buys something like this

https://www.propertypal.com/50-brown...431422/photo-8
    London (and now anywhere inside m25) is a different animal. Further North you get something more towards what you are showing for £500k.
    Last edited by JPCain86; 20th November 2017 at 09:33.

As has been mentioned, get a survey. I would suggest a Homebuyers report. This type of survey will cover every part of the house and comment on it based on a traffic light system, green good, amber needs attention , red dangerous, needs immediate attention. Use the survey results as bargaining power.The previous mention of kitchen from Howdens is a good idea, the units are pre built ( so saving labour cost) and they are ready for immediate collection. I used to do a fair bit of refurbishing, on the house you are buying I think your costs will be kitchen, bathroom ,heating, re-wire, poss windows.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

We needed all the things you mention and more, pretty much complete refurb, parque, plastering, carpets etc. Cost just over £100k and a fair bit of stress. We're extending next year and I'm dreading it!

Love the 70's parque...would keep and refurb if I were you!

Master
    One thing leads to another...

If it needs rewiring, the cost of that (relative to the price of the house) isn't massive, and it gives you the chance to wire in an alarm and proper Cables for other stuff for instance.

However, unless you're keeping it basic, there will almost certainly be some decorating to do afterwards as you're likely to have solid walls that need cables chasing into for example.

You're limely to want to do the glazing anyway so decorating will be required.

Shame you're not more local as I'd ask my brother to come and give an honest view on the electrics.

Thank you all for the advice. I would not mind moving up north either but want to stay near my kids. Having slept on it I just don’t need the stress of a major re-build.

Master
    Unless you got it at a price that worked for you and you could stay somewhere else for a few months while it's done up?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    Unless you got it at a price that worked for you and you could stay somewhere else for a few months while it's done up?
    I have somewhere to stay, it’s just the management and stress of going through what to do. I also don’t want to be in a position of running out of money!

Just got to realign my expectations that I am unlikely to find a place as nice as the one I am leaving!

I tend to do all my own work or use trusted trades for stuff like the sign off on electrics
    Just bought a 120 year old place in the new forest that will need work, fortunately nothing too expensive.
    I agree that a good surveyor is important.
    More importantly, the property you've linked to looks like it may be on an estate-i don't wish to judge in any way but would be careful not to overspend as the selling price (one day) will have an established value set by all the others. Ive recently noted how expensive things are getting- timber especially.
    I'd personally look for something a bit more unusual/unique that may pay you back well for your effort and expenditure and that may set your future up a little better?
    Just Goats 2d worth good luck with the plan ,anyway

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Thank you all for the advice. I would not mind moving up north either but want to stay near my kids. Having slept on it I just don’t need the stress of a major re-build.
    I'd pass on this one then - can't tell from the pics, but odds-on it has the original 1960s wiring, it certainly has the fittings and decor. Garden/outside needs work too.

There's probably £50k to spend, depending how much you want to do - but as others have said, a full structural survey would be a must.

Completely understand priximity to the kids, but moving out a little would but you much more?

Master
    Wow
    That is a monstrosity at that money.
    Looks like a nice sandstone house next door too.That one would be better knocked down and build a nice one in its place.
    I think if you have kids that will be coming to stay you need to consider getting a modernised house so that the kids find it appealing to come to visit.

Master
    That place seems very overpriced and ill fitted to your circumstances, personally I'd cross it off the list and find somewhere more suited to your budget and in better condition, unless the place has a massive plot of land suitable for reselling to developers of course, then it might be worth a punt, but only if you are willing to put the work in, which after a divorce can either be theraputic or soul destroying.

Master
    Yes it does seem like a lot of money for what it is, but I'm guessing that house prices in that area are expensive and also the OP is fully aware of what his money will buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    W
    I think if you have kids that will be coming to stay you need to consider getting a modernised house so that the kids find it appealing to come to visit.
    i would worry if i had brought my kids up to think like that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    i would worry if i had brought my kids up to think like that.
    Children like nice environments.
    The OP obviously has a decent budget with which to buy so after the stress of a divorce I would think making life as easy as possible for a while is a good option.
    If they find dads place a bit dingy and not very inviting then that could prove a bit of a barrier.
    In an ideal world children wouldn't care about such things but as parents with kids know they all like their mod cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Employ a surveyor. The report will be a major bargaining chip during negotiations and should pay for itself.
    Absolutely.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It is in Ruislip unfortunately. I moved into the area recently and have calculated I'll be debt free when my grandchildren are receiving home care!

Blog Entries
    We purchase something similar last year, have spent £55k on it so far and you'd never tell, still looks a complete dump! Good luck.

At least it's a house, you'd pay about that for a two bed flat round my way...and that's South East London!

Blog Entries
    If it's trouble in any way walk on and look for another. There are lots of houses about, why buy a lemon unless it's seriously cheap?

550 for a 70s build - glad I’ve never accepted a job down south

OP, for that price in that area I’d probably look at another house. Give Peter Lawrence from Lawrence Rand a call. Good guy in that area and will hopefully have something more fitting for your requirements. Best of luck.

Looking at Rightmove, I'd say it's not a bad price for the area: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...ludeSSTC=false

... and also "similar properties sold in the area": http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-pri...26radius%3D0.5

The only concern is that it's the only detached property in the price bracket, which could indicate a bargain or a problem.

Decor wise, I can't decide if it's untouched for years, or if the owner has spent a small fortune on vintage G-Plan furniture.

Either way, get a survey done!

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I guess that's why you live there

Wow
    That is a monstrosity at that money.
    Looks like a nice sandstone house next door too.That one would be better knocked down and build a nice one in its place.
    Where? Next door looks the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Where? Next door looks the same.
    On closer inspection you're correct.
    Another carbuncle.

Master
    Blog Entries
    On closer inspection you're correct.
    Another carbuncle.
    That whole road was is a relatively modern one. They bought the back gardens from the 'big' houses on a main road and made this cup-de-sac. It's actually a nice part of town. Quiet, away from the main road and only a 10 min walk or so to the high street.

Master
    I periodically take a look at houses for sale in the Highlands and am always blown away by what I see. If only the weather was a little better and I might be able to convince the mrs to pack up and move there!!!

As others have said that's not a lot of house the the money, I bought a property in March that needed major refurbishment. So far I've spent about 15 grand but I did have mates helping. Electrics and plumbing are a fortune. I'd add a few grand what ever the surveyor says. Out my way in Chelmsford property is a bit crazy but seems to be slowing up slightly. I paid £265 for a mid terrace 3 bed. Good luck with your search.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I periodically take a look at houses for sale in the Highlands and am always blown away by what I see. If only the weather was a little better and I might be able to convince the mrs to pack up and move there!!!
    Well, the Moray coastline is one of the driest areas of the UK, and stunning!
    Temperatures don't quite match damn South tho'!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I guess that's why you live there
    For sure! :)

Master
    Well, the Moray coastline is one of the driest areas of the UK, and stunning!
    Temperatures don't quite match damn South tho'!
    I did not know that.. interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    As others have said that's not a lot of house the the money, I bought a property in March that needed major refurbishment. So far I've spent about 15 grand but I did have mates helping. Electrics and plumbing are a fortune. I'd add a few grand what ever the surveyor says. Out my way in Chelmsford property is a bit crazy but seems to be slowing up slightly. I paid £265 for a mid terrace 3 bed. Good luck with your search.
    I'd snap a few more up at that price.