closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC - a journey's end? Possibly...

SOTC - a journey's end? Possibly...

After a recent acquisition, I thought I would post a hopefully not too self-indulgent overview of my collection and I would interested to see what you think. Still relatively new on this forum but I have enjoyed reading it and have learnt a lot, whilst occasionally joining in.

Anyway I think I have arrived at a collection peak and don't see me adding to it anytime soon, possibly even consolidating. It is certainly bigger than I intended it to be!

There are no rules of course and but my philosophy has been to have a collection that is versatile, varied with not too much overlap, gets worn and covers all occasions smart to casual, and includes any brand, and covers quite a value range. I have always liked chronographs so it is bit overweight in that department....maybe, no, I like it like that.

Apologies for iPhone photos but hope they are good enough, and I've attempted to categorise the watches below.

Here is my (first ever) group photo

Dress watches....

JLC Grande Reverso Night Day Automatic (posh dress watch)
    Oris Artelier Complication (everyday business watch with moon phase and GMT complications)

Divers.....

Omega Seamaster 300 (dressy diver)
    Seiko Turtle SRP777 (tool watch diver)
    Vostok Amphibia scuba dude with modded bezel (my beater watch)

Chronographs.....

Omega Speedmaster (the moonwatch) (manual wind chrono)
    Bulova moonwatch (Apollo 15 job) (UHF Quartz chrono) (both my space watches)
    Tag Heuer SEL chronograph (Quartz - bought in 1996 - my first chrono)
    Heuer Monaco Calibre 11 (auto chronograph - motor racing watch - love the colours)

Pilots watches.....

Rolex GMT Master 2 BLNR (my GMT watch - purchased this week and my first Rolex - very nice indeed!)
    Oris BC3 Advanced Day Date (clean 3 hander with Arabic dial)

Vintage

A Russian Pobeda watch from 1978 (manual wind, 33 mm wavy dial, gold plated)

Thanks for reading and looking if you got this far. I am very happy with how my watch collection has evolved and I relish it every day - I hope you liked my SOTC. Thanks, Mark

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    That's a collection that ticks most boxes, I can understand why you feel near journeys end.........but our tastes change. How long before a new addition?
    Thanks for sharing

Craftsman
    Great collection!

I suppose technically the GMT is a pilots watch, I never really thought of it as such. Really liking that Oris as a daily dress watch.

Apprentice
    Nice collection. That Pobeda looks awesome, looking through them on ebay they have a mix of interesting and then really weird watch faces. Tempted by one with a bear on and i have no idea why :)

Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Great collection!

I suppose technically the GMT is a pilots watch, I never really thought of it as such. Really liking that Oris as a daily dress watch.
    Glad you like the Oris - it has a wonderful case size and shape - 40.5 mm - here's a wrist shot

Master
    Interesting to see the Bulova against the Speedie. I’ve got a battered ghost dial -71 and now feel it should be nurtured as an occasional wearer as it’s had it’s hard life. A Bulova could be a great daily watch with very legible Dial . The Oris is lovely btw.

Quote Originally Posted by furiousjoe View Post
    Nice collection. That Pobeda looks awesome, looking through them on ebay they have a mix of interesting and then really weird watch faces. Tempted by one with a bear on and i have no idea why :)
    I know what you mean - it is unusual. This watch was my late father-in-laws (my wife is from Moscow originally), which why I know it's 1978. Russian watches do have some great artwork on them particularly relating to USSR era military stuff and space. A bear on a watch sounds great fun.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Strebor View Post
    I know what you mean - it is unusual. This watch was my late father-in-laws (my wife is from Moscow originally), which why I know it's 1978. Russian watches do have some great artwork on them particularly relating to USSR era military stuff and space. A bear on a watch sounds great fun.

They have a refreshingly different ambassadors too http://raketa-shop.com/w/en/pobeda-c...elve-0020.html who needs Daniel Craig or David Beckham when you have this guy :)

Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    That's a collection that ticks most boxes, I can understand why you feel near journeys end.........but our tastes change. How long before a new addition?
    Thanks for sharing
    You're probably right - never say never. If the prices weren't so high, I would definitely consider an old Pepsi GMT, even though I have the BLNR. Maybe that would be the end point.........if only I had a Bruce Wayne budget....

Craftsman
    Lovely mate, thanks for taking the time to share. With you on the Monaco colour scheme, it really stands alone in terms of old racing car cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    i need to figure out the quote tool :( Wow interesting provenance, and again fantastic looking watch. Have found a couple with hand drawn faces. I think the best thing about these forums is stumbling across makes or models i'd never even heard of before.

Nice balanced collection that. Highlights for me are the JLC, the moon watches and the Oris moon phase and of course the BLNR. Thanks for sharing.

Ha..brilliant!! Also, you might know, but I think an old Pobeda was featured on Illya Kuryakin in the recent(ish) Man From UNCLE film.

Quote Originally Posted by RBear1981 View Post
    Lovely mate, thanks for taking the time to share. With you on the Monaco colour scheme, it really stands alone in terms of old racing car cool.

Thanks - glad you agree. Red and blue works so well. I prefer the flat matt blue of the Calibre 11 compared to the Calibre 12 which is more sunburst blue. I fell for the Steve McQueen Le Mans cool factor. But you need a big wrist to pull if off - it's a brick of a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Interesting to see the Bulova against the Speedie. I’ve got a battered ghost dial -71 and now feel it should be nurtured as an occasional wearer as it’s had it’s hard life. A Bulova could be a great daily watch with very legible Dial . The Oris is lovely btw.
    That's interesting. I think I bought the Bulova for the exact reason of having more of a daily wearer that looks similar. On the Speedie, one day I will probably dink the bezel but I would rather give it an easy life so it looks better for longer. The Bulova is astonishingly accurate, with a great dial, and a date, but it is big - I have 8 inch wrists and it's at my limit I think. Great value for money watch, with a great back story, and I grew up loving everything Apollo.

Master
    Nice collection, well balanced. I really like the old TAG, a watch I had many years ago and miss it now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Nice collection, well balanced. I really like the old TAG, a watch I had many years ago and miss it now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    A great unique design of it's time. A very comfy bracelet, as you will know. My wife has the two tone ladies SEL from the same period and it looks amazing.

Master
    Lovely collection there a couple I own and a few I wouldn’t mind owning.

100% there will be changes. You will slowly notice certain ones are not being worn and you will move them on and replace. You may sell 2 or 3 and buy 1 for instance. It will happen.

We will wait for your ‘SOTC - a journey continues’ thread in due course. I mean come on, you haven’t even got a Zenith in there! Lovely stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    Lovely collection there a couple I own and a few I wouldn’t mind owning.

100% there will be changes. You will slowly notice certain ones are not being worn and you will move them on and replace. You may sell 2 or 3 and buy 1 for instance. It will happen.

We will wait for your ‘SOTC - a journey continues’ thread in due course. I mean come on, you haven’t even got a Zenith in there! Lovely stuff though.

Many thanks - you're probably right of course. That's part of the fun I suppose and I have already moved considerably up the quality spectrum since joining this forum. And of course I forgot about Zenith - actually I was thinking about a tri-colour subdial El Primero a little while back.

Glad you like the Oris - it has a wonderful case size and shape - 40.5 mm - here's a wrist shot

Great collection I must say. A very diverse spread. ADORE the reverso! Having just had my speedy delivered this weekend I am struck by the similarity in design and layout to your Oris complication. I do think you have covered all bases, congratulations!

A lovely collection you have there. It reminds me how badly I want the Calibre 11 Monaco too!

D

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Great collection I must say. A very diverse spread. ADORE the reverso! Having just had my speedy delivered this weekend I am struck by the similarity in design and layout to your Oris complication. I do think you have covered all bases, congratulations!

Love your new Speedy. I see what you mean! I thought the layout was also similar to the JLC Master Perpetual, as in the Dr Strange film. Maybe that type of dial configuration has a name? Very nice anyway.

Master
    Many thanks - you're probably right of course. That's part of the fun I suppose and I have already moved considerably up the quality spectrum since joining this forum. And of course I forgot about Zenith - actually I was thinking about a tri-colour subdial El Primero a little while back.

I just picked up this cracker and love it. My first Zenith. Haven’t taken it off for week.

Craftsman
    nice collection! always interesting to see what people have.