closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SPB051/53

Seiko SPB051/53

There was some talk of these a while back when they came out on pre order. As predicted you can find them now for a lot less and really like the look of the blue dial version. Anyone got one and any views of the quality? Anyone picked up the black version on a bracelet any thoughts on that one?

Master
    Don’t have one, but as I can’t stop looking at them online at the moment the odds are fairly good that I will at some point soon!
    Leaning towards the blue, only wish it was available on bracelet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Don’t have one, but as I can’t stop looking at them online at the moment the odds are fairly good that I will at some point soon!
    Leaning towards the blue, only wish it was available on bracelet as well.
    I know the rubber strap looks awful, wonder how much the bracelet would be on its own to go with the blue version.

Another thing I have noticed, some photos online seem to suggest they have drilled lugs, wonder if it's true.

Craftsman
    Yep, got the 051 and I much prefer it to the Sumo and it has almost, well I think it has actually, displaced my MM300.

I am waiting for an 053 at the moment, I was offered one but the alignment was bad. I got a replacement Seiko bracelet from ebay $130. I have mine on mesh at the moment though.

Journeyman
    Love the blue of the 053, just think it would be a touch too big for me unfortunately. Shame because I think these are quality, which (unusually) are within my budget range.

Master
    I really like them too but the Chapter Ring to hour marker alignment is really bad on a lot of them. Some I've seen have been shockingly bad. It's not even a case of adjusting the Chapter Ring either, some of the pics I've seen show the misalignment at 12/9/6 and spot on round the right side!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Yep, got the 051 and I much prefer it to the Sumo and it has almost, well I think it has actually, displaced my MM300.

I am waiting for an 053 at the moment, I was offered one but the alignment was bad. I got a replacement Seiko bracelet from ebay $130. I have mine on mesh at the moment though.

Mate what you have done with that mesh bracelet combo is exceptional. I would leave it just the way it is and get it posted on the perfect Watch strap thread for others to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    [QUOTE=robert75;4567776]I think I prefer it on the original Seiko bracelet. There is currently a few Black Friday deals with 10% discount on these bringing the blue version down to about £600 That being said, I think buying straight from Japan even including import duties it still comes in cheaper.

Any links to these on sale would be greatly appreciated.

POST DELETED.. (I'm stupid - wrong watch!)
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 20th November 2017 at 18:38.

A friend picked up one of these yesterday. I'm looking forward to handling it but it looks rather nice.

Sent from my Bluboo S1 using TZ-UK mobile app

It may just be me, but that hour hand completely ruins an otherwise great looking watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    It may just be me, but that hour hand completely ruins an otherwise great looking watch.
    Doesn’t exactly ruin it for me but I would prefer the original 62mas hands.

Craftsman
    I got used to the hour hand with my old Shogun. I think the large size dial needs a larger hand, I like them.

I have seen mods where the hands have been swapped out for MM style but I wouldn't bother myself.

With customs duties I paid around £760 from a Japanese dealer (for the 051) Jura has them pre-order at £1k, I don't know whether they will drop much below £850 new from a UK dealer.

These look much nicer in real life pictures. How big are they? Sadly they look bigger than the perfectly sized 62MAS.

Could you tell me where you got that mesh from, please?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Could you tell me where you got that mesh from, please?
    The mesh was from Watch Gecko and its the double weave vintage model. I think it was on sale at £18, I see the black one is less than £9.00!

The mesh was from Watch Gecko and its the double weave vintage model. I think it was on sale at £18, I see the black one is less than £9.00!
    Thanks awfully.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Wow. Looks way better than that.

Master
    Just managed to snag the black dialled bracelet model - 051 - from these guys at 25 percent off rrp.

House of Watches

Must have been the only one, as now showing out of stock. Some decent prices on othe Prospex models, plus additional 10 percent off with code HOW10
    Last edited by Skip; 24th November 2017 at 20:51.

Master
    The joys of modern e commerce - notified via email that watch was back in stock at 11.25am Friday, payed for via PayPal 11.30am Friday, and on wrist at 11.55am Saturday!! Very happy as well.

SPB071

SPB071

Oh wow, that padi version looks fantastic.

I saw the 053 yesterday at 799 was a bit, expensive and I did not ask for discount as I had just had a wisdom tooth out so I did not walk out with it. Now I have seen the padi I am glad, looks nicer.

Indeed. I don't understand Seiko's addiction to these weird looking hands on their dive watches. I understand it must be easy to differentiate hands under water and in low light, but still the industry produced solutions for this problem with better taste. Sometimes they get it right and ending up with a classic like the mm300. (But it was done only to recall the original more less)
    Shame they do have many good looking divers ruined by hand sets only.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    Oh wow, that padi version looks fantastic.

I saw the 053 yesterday at 799 was a bit, expensive and I did not ask for discount as I had just had a wisdom tooth out so I did not walk out with it. Now I have seen the padi I am glad, looks nicer.
    Agreed - I'd be all over that Padi version. Not much info about it on the net at the moment. The Facebook post that shows the same picture suggests a January 2018 release.

House of Watches have the 053 listed at £663 at the moment, with an additional 10 percent off in the sale.
    Showing as out of stock at present, could be worth a click on the "notify me when back in stock" button, as it took them less than a week to get my 051 in.

Craftsman
    These are brilliant for the money in my book.

I might have to try one, looks good!

Master
    It's not just you, many people seem to dislike them. I however like them and think the modded ones I've seen (with 62MAS hands) just blend into a sea of other similar watches and the watch loses it's identity totally.

Master

Agreed. Is that the MM waffle you’ve got it on?

Craftsman

Loving mine, the case is beautiful, the bezel insert is so glossy, the dial colour is dreamy. And + 1 second for 48 hrs .

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnhardlanger View Post

Loving mine, the case is beautiful, the bezel insert is so glossy, the dial colour is dreamy. And + 1 second for 48 hrs .

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TZ-UK mobile app
    The colour looks great here. Can’t wait to see the blue dial in my hand. Think I’d stick it on to a classy nato.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Agreed. Is that the MM waffle you’ve got it on?

Yes sir, MM300 strap does it proud, just the right amount of chunkiness for me.