Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I can't stop looking at your sleeve, I prefer your coat/ jacket

French, I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    What do you mean by whole industry being 15s +/- for mechanical watches?
    I don’t it was a quote

Master
    Ah, my mistake. In which case chestnuts comment does sound fairly reasonable, just a sales pitch, being liberal with the facts. Given the prices IWC watches go for, 7 seconds does seem pretty poor. Most of my eta 2824 watches are much more accurate than that, and cost a a couple of hundred.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Like it or not, it's your choice. However, it's clearly entry level. It doesn't even have an ETA movement.
    It’s not entry level as there is no other choice it’s the watch I want,I am buying the watch as a whole not the movement alone.

The other mk xviii variants have eta at the same price

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Ah, my mistake. In which case chestnuts comment does sound fairly reasonable, just a sales pitch, being liberal with the facts. Given the prices IWC watches go for, 7 seconds does seem pretty poor. Most of my eta 2824 watches are much more accurate than that, and cost a a couple of hundred.
    I said mine was about 3 seconds and it’s still new.

They don’t just buy a movement and put it in the case.

As I said people where moaning about the movement it doesn’t bother me,
    I did my research and bought the watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    It’s not entry level as there is no other choice it’s the watch I want,I am buying the watch as a whole not the movement alone.

The other mk xviii variants have eta at the same price
    And they're all entry level. Even IWC would admit it. I'm not sure why you can't.

Craftsman
    As one of the folks who saw the mockups of the watch back in 2015, and will be taking delivery of #15 at SIHH in January, I can honestly say that I'm more than happy with how the project ultimately turned out. Judging from the comments here, I think it's also fair to say that most of you are similarly pleased that only 27 will be made, since it will spare you the horror of ever having to see one out and about in person. ;-)

The reason for the small number is quite simple: it's a special project that was initiated by an IWC superfan who receives #27 of pretty much every numbered IWC LE made. As such, to honor him... well, you know, 27 watches. This also explains why the changes are relatively few when compared to the production Mark XVIII and the Tribute LE, since, despite what many might think, it's a rather expensive and lengthy process to create an entirely new watch from the ground up.

Hopefully this explains the lack of PR or any official press around the piece, as it was never meant to be a proper LE, let alone a production piece. For my part, I think it's great that IWC would undertake such a small project on behalf of one of their collectors, and I consider myself lucky to have been in the right place at the right time to be able to purchase one. Is it to everyone's taste? Of course not, but I can guarantee you that all of the twenty-seven suckers who ordered the SWFA are properly chuffed right about now.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - The cost? Pretty much in-line with the production pieces, though it goes without saying that no discounts were offered. :-(

PPS - Had I had any input in the design of the piece, I probably would've nixed the fauxtina, or at least applied it in a similar fashion to the Tribute LE – i.e. keep the IWC branding and non-lumed elements white, as they wouldn't have aged on a true vintage watch. But, since they didn't ask me...

Master
    Blog Entries
    You are a lucky man craniotes,I read the tale of the visit on the IWC forum and saw 10 of them on the table.
    IWC looked after everyone I would have loved to have gone.

it’s quite funny people getting angry about a watch they don’t like and can’t buy anyway so what’s the point?

it’s quite funny people getting angry about a watch they don’t like and can’t buy
    They're only liked by the people who are able to buy them because they're able to buy them - for what more gratifying proof of being on the inside could there been? - so it seems kinda logical that the inverse is also kinda true.

Master
    IWC version of Sellita SW300-1, developed and constructed by Sellita, according to IWC specification
    IWC's next 'development' will be ... "Sellita version of Sellita SW300-1, developed and constructed by Sellita, according to IWC advertising blurb".

Master
    Actually, good as Sellita are, it's shameful that IWC should have so little pride in their history that they bare-facedly declare to the world that they're using the cheapest best movements they can find, while at the same time basing their advertising on their (now fast disappearing) heritage.

Why anyone who knows anything about watches would buy any of the Mkxx series after the MkXII, I can't imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    I'd rather have a Tudor Ranger.
    My thoughts exactly!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    You are a lucky man craniotes,I read the tale of the visit on the IWC forum and saw 10 of them on the table.
    IWC looked after everyone I would have loved to have gone.

it’s quite funny people getting angry about a watch they don’t like and can’t buy anyway so what’s the point?
    Thank you for saying so, however my work prevented me from being at the unveiling in Schaffhausen/Zurich. That said, I doubt that anyone's shedding any tears on my behalf. (And FWIW, no, IWC did not pick up the tab for travel and lodging.)

As for you statement/question, hey, this is an emotional hobby, so it's to be expected. Besides, as it's often said, how boring would it be if we all liked the same things – or didn't express our opinions? ;-)

Regards,
    Adam

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Actually, good as Sellita are, it's shameful that IWC should have so little pride in their history that they bare-facedly declare to the world that they're using the cheapest best movements they can find, while at the same time basing their advertising on their (now fast disappearing) heritage.

Why anyone who knows anything about watches would buy any of the Mkxx series after the MkXII, I can't imagine.
    You might level that at people who buy Rolex

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ezel-alignment

Interesting amalgamation of features here.
    Plain pilot style case, made plainer by using a totally blasted finish, perhaps like a B Uhr.
    Mark X H and M hands, but blued over a black dial to make them invisible in all situations, whereare silver would at least sparkle sometimes.
    Numeration only on the quarters (no IWC precedent I know), open 6 and 9 as per the B-Uhr Type A dial, 12 marker to match.
    And Sellita movement.

It is not a mix of features I find particularly compelling.

But also, with simple dial print, no applied indices, no case brushing or polishing, and a Sellita movement, it is almost as if the brief was for IWC to create the very cheapest watch they possibly could.

And I guarantee this would not be cheap.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    But also, with simple dial print, no applied indices, no case brushing or polishing, and a Sellita movement, it is almost as if the brief was for IWC to create the very cheapest watch they possibly could.
    Great demonstration of the, er, magic of Limited Editions

Craftsman
    I'd still go for the Tudor Ranger. Easily obtainable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker;4569141)

Why anyone who knows anything about watches would buy any of the Mk[I
    xx[/I] series after the MkXII, I can't imagine.
    IWC have done themselves no favour in recent years, they haven't kept faith with their customers. But I think a few of their current models remain attractive. Take the least expensive pilot watch, the xv111. That uses a chronometer grade Eta movement which is rather fine. In fact it may well be both more precise and more reliable than IWCs in-house movements. The watch looks classic and well-made. It's a decent bit of kit.

It's almost like a homage to a Yao Quad 10.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    I'm an IWC fan and recently bought a Portuguese but thats horrible imho.

Craftsman
    Reminds me of the Patek 5522A

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    IWC have done themselves no favour in recent years, they haven't kept faith with their customers. But I think a few of their current models remain attractive. Take the least expensive pilot watch, the xv111. That uses a chronometer grade Eta movement which is rather fine. In fact it may well be both more precise and more reliable than IWCs in-house movements. The watch looks classic and well-made. It's a decent bit of kit.
    But change the name on the dial and the watch could be anything. And, indeed, cheaper.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    But change the name on the dial and the watch could be anything. And, indeed, cheaper.
    But no other major competitor does it cheaper do they? Omega..Rolex...Panerei...JLC . They don't; and they are IWC's market competitors. In the same way, at a higher level, is there an obvious competitor for the Portugeiser? I'm no big fan of IWC in recent years, but they are a major player with some great historic lines.

NB: I considered the XV111 and instead brought a Bremont, but they aren't yet seen as a serious competitor.
    'Yet' being the operative word .
    Last edited by paskinner; 21st November 2017 at 22:20.

But no other major competitor does it cheaper do they? Omega..Rolex...Panerei...JLC . They don't; and they are IWC's market competitors. In the same way, at a higher level, is there an obvious competitor for the Portugeiser? I'm no big fan of IWC in recent years, but they are a major player with some great historic lines.

NB: I considered the XV111 and instead brought a Bremont, but they aren't yet seen as a serious competitor.
    But every single one of the ones you mention offers their own calibres, with interesting additional features and technology, whereas IWC are re-heating a Sellita which in itself is also a reheated ETA. I really do think they are getting left behind here.
    Dave

Master
    Fair point; but is there anything wrong with the COSC certified Eta movement? And why the general snobbery attached to in-house stuff. Some of it is nothing special at all. Is the 1886 movement in the Speedy superior to the Eta? Would the IWC be a better watch without the ETA in it?
    This is, of course, part of a wider discussion, but my attitudes have changed. My Eta-based Bremont is as accurate as my Rolex. Shouldn't we celebrate these 'common' movements?
    Last edited by paskinner; 21st November 2017 at 22:44.

Master
    Love everything about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dornbluth and Hentschel Hamburg are two that spring to mind. Do IWC not have their own movement in the 7 day power reserve version? Do they not also have some of their own calibers in their classic Portugeiser?

Master
    Fair point; but is there anything wrong with the COSC certified Eta movement? And why the general snobbery attached to in-house stuff. Some of it is nothing special at all. Is the 1886 movement in the Speedy superior to the Eta? Would the IWC be a better watch without the ETA in it?
    This is, of course, part of a wider discussion, but my attitudes have changed. My Eta-based Bremont is as accurate as my Rolex. Shouldn't we celebrate these 'common' movements?
    I agree with much - probably most - of what you say. However, I think it's a great pity that Georges Kern - IWC's Gerald Ratner - has imposed such a crude business model on the company: 'Exploit brand equity, minimise costs & maximise profits'.

One of the outcomes, as I've said, is that if you took the labels off many modern IWCs, nobody would know what they were. Ironically, therefore, Kern is squandering the very brand equity on which his profits depend.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That sounds like everybody’s buissnes plan who wants to make money

Or would you rather they followed factory records buissnes plan?

I could tell my IWC with no branding with ease as the workmanship stands out a mile.

That sounds like everybody’s buissnes plan who wants to make money

Or would you rather they followed factory records buissnes plan?

I could tell my IWC with no branding with ease as the workmanship stands out a mile.
    What comparisons have you made?

Master
    Here's an example of Kern's cack-handed marketing. A crass video with a senseless script, trying to promote brand, history & heritage.

(Look for when the nylon stocking sticks to John Malkovich's hand at 7'10".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQEFQTJzKo

Quote Originally Posted by craniotes;
    I consider myself lucky to have been in the right place at the right time to be able to purchase one.
    Lucky is an understatement! Amazed at the negativity on this thread. I just think it’s gorgeous. Needless to say I’d like first dibs if you ever let it go! I suspect you won’t...enjoy it & please post pics when it arrives!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Lucky is an understatement! Amazed at the negativity on this thread. I just think it’s gorgeous. Needless to say I’d like first dibs if you ever let it go! I suspect you won’t...enjoy it & please post pics when it arrives!
    This sort of "negativity" is par for the course these days. As I said before, however, this would be one helluva boring hobby no one expressed their opinions – negative or otherwise – so it's all good.

As for the subject of the TZ-UK tastemakers' ire, I'm fairly certain that #15 will stick with me for the long haul, but I will keep in mind that you have dibs should I ever decide to move it. ;-)

Regards,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    This sort of "negativity" is par for the course these days.
    Speaking of negativity, I remember you being the subject of one of Chris Vail's long grumbles - has he yet forgiven you for not returning his watches?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Speaking of negativity, I remember you being the subject of one of Chris Vail's long grumbles - has he yet forgiven you for not returning his watches?
    Not sure what that has to do with anything, but I doubt it.

Regards,
    Adam