closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DIY divorce - on line service recommendations

DIY divorce - on line service recommendations

Calling all with direct experience of DIY divorce!

Leaving aside the pro's and con's of going down the DIY route, can anyone recommend a good on line service for dealing with the paperwork?

I am aware that the courts are looking to introduce an on line system but as I understand it an intermediary must be used at the moment.

Looking to start proceedings early in 2018 (happy new year! )

Any comments and advice based on personal experience would be much appreciated.

Ian

Thanks Tony - thats helpful

Can I just point out that a clean break between adults is not that expensive even if you use solicitors in a conventional way. However this will depend on your temperament and that of your intended Ex. If either of you is seduced by solicitors seeking to amend what you have agreed because it's not "equitable" (also known as inflating their fee) then it'll get messy and expensive very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Can I just point out that a clean break between adults is not that expensive even if you use solicitors in a conventional way. However this will depend on your temperament and that of your intended Ex. If either of you is seduced by solicitors seeking to amend what you have agreed because it's not "equitable" (also known as inflating their fee) then it'll get messy and expensive very quickly.

Ive been divorced once whilst my estranged wife has done it twice. All of these processes have landed us with crippling expensive legal costs and the emotional impact of being constantly pushed in the direction of ever increasingly adversarial behaviour.

We are determined to avoid throwing our money down the drain in this manner. In fact we just finished typing out a draft consent order this morning.

if you involve solicitors, then the more work you do - the cheaper their bill will be.

But - You need to clarify whether you are divorcing under England/Wales law or Scottish. There is a difference.

I am in England.

Check out wikivorce website, full of great information, services and other peoples advice...

Certainly helped me get through some tough times...

Im pretty sure, when I got divorced.(about 7-8 years ago in Wales). I had a "fixed fee", for my divorce. I also paid "about" £600 for a clean break settlement.

Over 10yrs ago but I used the slightly comically named quickie-divorce.com. Quick google suggests they're still operating.

Very straightforward as there were no kids involved and we agreed the finances between ourselves. Very basic service but worked fine.

Thanks

We have agreed to get moving on this after Christmas

My previous wife an I had an amicable divorce. We divided up the assets between us and signed a letter in agreement.
    We agreed child care costs
    Got the divorce papers from the local court and sent them in.
    Job done

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    My previous wife an I had an amicable divorce. We divided up the assets between us and signed a letter in agreement.
    Job done
    Good if it works, but - unless each party availed themselves of legal advice in relation to the terms of the settlement - one party can in future years, pursue an additional claim.

It is worthwhile (for the sake of a few hundred ££) getting that assurance.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Job done
    We did the same - cost me zero (she was the 'offender') as my wife agreed to cover the divorce application costs.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

amicable divorce
    nicola williams

However, wikidivorce also does it very cheap as well.

PM me if you would like to talk through anything