closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is diesel a definite no no for me......................

Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post
    Got a VW Touareg 3.0 V6 turbo diesel year before last.

Had it just under 2 years now, done 9700 miles in that time.

Commute is 10 miles each way, 20 miles a day. Trip to shops is 3 miles there and back. Trip to tow is 10 miles there and back.

Long distance runs? Maybe 10 in the time I’ve had it.

Zero problems with it, no regen problems. No problems with the stop start stopping working because the battery isn’t getting enough charge.

I would certainly be happy getting a VW diesel for your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you think in your specific case this may be to do with the fact your car uses AdBlue?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    I would definitely go petrol or hydrid on that mileage. You may get problems with the dpf at that mileage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    You will defo get problems with the DPF doing that mileage, plus every so often you will have to take it down the motorway and drive it like you nicked it, therefore negating any MPG advantage by buying an oil burner.

Master
    Electric or hybrid are perfect for this driving profile, small petrols never seem to make their claimed mpg in the real world and a diesel at this mileage would be insane. In the end though the most important thing is the wheelchair accessibility that trumps everything and if the only thing you can do is get a diseasel and thrash it for 50 miles up the motorway every few thousand miles then that's what you have to do.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Petrol it is then 😀

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Do you think in your specific case this may be to do with the fact your car uses AdBlue?
    What does Adblue have to do with DPF's? One filters out soot, the other reduces NOx emmisions, completely different systems. His VW probably has both

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’ve seen NV200 combis converted to wheelchair access so the e-NV200 should also be possible.

Just found this as an example:

http://www.brotherwood.com/wheelchai...issan-env-200/

Couple of second hand prices quoted which don't seem outrageous - especially the converted one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Electric or hybrid are perfect for this driving profile, small petrols never seem to make their claimed mpg in the real world and a diesel at this mileage would be insane. In the end though the most important thing is the wheelchair accessibility that trumps everything and if the only thing you can do is get a diseasel and thrash it for 50 miles up the motorway every few thousand miles then that's what you have to do.
    I tend to agree that a hybrid would be best overall, I think that’s what my next car will be.

But it if it’s a choice between petrol and diesel then, I think, for that sort of use, petrol would be more suitable.

Re mileage, my petrol Golf has given 52.5 mpg over the 6000 miles since new compared with official combined figure of 54.3 mpg so not too far out from manufactures figures, I’m certainly satisfied with that.

Journeyman
    Ben petrol- a hybrid or electric is the way to go. unless you are going to do along run regularly.
    Most people I know use the Mobility scheme but can appreciate you wanting to do your own thing.
    john

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Ben petrol- a hybrid or electric is the way to go. unless you are going to do along run regularly.
    Most people I know use the Mobility scheme but can appreciate you wanting to do your own thing.
    john
    Interestingly I was relooking at Motability yesterday and the sums were thought provoking.

Outright purchase costs over 5 years (motability term) taking into account insurance,servicing, breakdown cover etc,etc would be around £33k

Same car on motability over th same 5 year period would be around £21k.

Obviously if I bought the car after the 5 years I still own the car, but On motability after 5 years I hand it back and have nothing, but am £12k better off over the period

Decisions, decisions!

Master

Is diesel a definite no no for me......................

The question is “will the car be worth more or less than £12k in five years?”

My guess is probably a fair bit less so the motability option is the most cost effective.

Edit : unless your intention is to keep the vehicle for longer than the five years. Given the wheelchair access requirements, reliability of the vehicle is probably more important to you than most so running an older car probably isn’t an option.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 23rd November 2017 at 09:42.

Master
    And you can get an EcoBoost Tourneo:

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/fo...00ps-stgvi-5dr

Your driving profile was made for petrol or electric.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    And you can get an EcoBoost Tourneo:

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/fo...00ps-stgvi-5dr

Your driving profile was made for petrol or electric.
    It's a choice between this and a Caddy TSI

Given that the Tourneo will be worth £6-7k in five years, you’re far better off with Motability.