closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is diesel a definite no no for me......................

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Is diesel a definite no no for me......................

I will be buying a new car in the new year and the vast majority of options we have are diesel.

Given that the the daily use we do in the car consists of a 5 mile journey in the morning and a the same in the evening in stop start traffic is diesel a very bad choice?

Ive read about about various valve things needing replacing or packing up completely because of lack of use and/or low mileage, always running cold etc etc.

so, should a diesel definately be ruled out?

car choice currently stands at a VW Caddy or a Ford Tourneo Connect.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like an ideal commute/usage for a hybrid or better still, fully electric car.

sent from TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Sounds like an ideal commute/usage for a hybrid or better still, fully electric car.

sent from TZ-UK mobile app
    At 10 miles per day it could probably be powered by an iPhone x
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

If you are only doing 10miles a day their is no point, assuming you are interested in cars, petrol every time.

Thinking about it five mile journeys from cold won't to any IC engine any good, I would be seriously considering all electric
    Last edited by adrianw; 19th November 2017 at 10:53.

I'm sure it'll be fine.

Craftsman
    I would definitely go petrol or hydrid on that mileage. You may get problems with the dpf at that mileage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I guess I should point out that I have very specific needs in a car, i.e. It has to be a WAV (wheelchair accessible vehicle) which makes the selection of a car very limited.

Parking is at the rear of our house so electric is out, also there is only 1 electric WAV on the market and it's pig ugly.

I have just emerged from a rather acrimonious spat with our local Ford dealer about exactly this.

The salesman told us that a diesel would be fine for the school run. Two particulate filter regenerations (in 6 months) later, the same dealership's service team told my wife that the sales team tell these porkies all the time and should be more honest!

A couple of emails and calls with liberal use of the word 'mis-selling' and we now have a shiny new petrol car...

I would avoid diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post
    I have just emerged from a rather acrimonious spat with our local Ford dealer about exactly this.

The salesman told us that a diesel would be fine for the school run. Two particulate filter regenerations (in 6 months) later, the same dealership's service team told my wife that the sales team tell these porkies all the time and should be more honest!

A couple of emails and calls with liberal use of the word 'mis-selling' and we now have a shiny new petrol car...

I would avoid diesel.

That's what they're supposed to do, what's wrong with needing a regen?

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I guess I should point out that I have very specific needs in a car, i.e. It has to be a WAV (wheelchair accessible vehicle) which makes the selection of a car very limited.

Parking is at the rear of our house so electric is out, also there is only 1 electric WAV on the market and it's pig ugly.
    I don't know what you budget is but would a Skoda Yeti do the job? I've never heard a bad thing said about them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I presume he meant forced regeneration.

To be more specific, a forced, static regen at the dealership - the car having shown an 'engine malfunction' indicator

The point is that they don't regenerate properly if they aren't regularly driven at speed for a decent distance.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I don't know what you budget is but would a Skoda Yeti do the job? I've never heard a bad thing said about them
    I would second the Yeti, they look a very good car for the money and may fit your needs.
    Worth a look.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    sorry I have to say it like this but buying a diesel for 10 miles a day would be just plain stupid... that car would run cold for its entire life span which would be very short...

One of the things I don't understand. car dealerships are pushing diesels as hard as ever, in the last two weeks I have been in a BMW and an Audi dealer, there is no let up, surely if the government change the rules dramatically their must be some comeback on them, maybe it would be a good idea if everyone stopped buying new cars until they tell us exactly what they decide, but that's just not going to happen.

You need a petrol or hybrid car.

Or you need to take your diesel out once a week, drive at least 50 miles without stopping away from your house on a motorway. Have a cup of tea and then drive home again without stopping. This is the only way the regen cycle will be properly enabled.

Failure to do this will mean you will start to have engine problems very quickly. The DPF will clog and this in turn will lead to all sorts of other issues.

So the choice for you is clear - petrol or hybrid. Diesel will work out more expensive one way or the other. Don't be afraid to challenge the sales team to get what you need.

BTW at another level you need to consider which you'd rather belch into the environment. It's either NOx and micro particles or CO2. Frankly I know which I'd choose under any circumstances.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nobody does a conversion for the Yeti Adrian.

I thought that also once, till I read about them rusting before owner's eyes.... If you google it , there's quite some reports ...

A friend of mine had one and loved it till it started rusting ... Reports about too much popularity leading to cheaper parts and a return to the old days

Do Ford do the Connect with the EcoBoost engine? Fantastic power and economy.....and no diesel stench, noise or low-mileage issues.

I'm not an electric/hybrid fan - just figuring the Hydrogen cell will master the market in a few years and battery power will be scrap........

Quote Originally Posted by Falcata View Post
    I thought that also once, till I read about them rusting before owner's eyes.... If you google it , there's quite some reports ...

A friend of mine had one and loved it till it started rusting ... Reports about too much popularity leading to cheaper parts and a return to the old days
    It's true that VAG group seem to have had a problem with this some time ago. Many reports of 2010 to 2012 cars having issues. Nothing reported on cars built more recently. I can find no reports of cars "rusting before the owners eyes" in the way that BL products did back in the 20th century.

My dad has recently changed his car and the initial savings of diesel looked attractive, but he only does 3,000 miles a year so went for petrol. Some points to consider are that you'll save on tax/mpg with diesel but you'll need to take it for a decent run on the motorway once a week. You'll also need to weigh up any potential savings against future repairs of the dpf, adblue etc.

Surely they only way the government can penalise diesels is to tax new cars, having encouraged the motorist to change over, now to punish them must end up with a fleet operator taking legal action

They backed down on the CO2 VED top band increase in 2006 when realised it would affect lots of “normal” cars so I expect this will be the same or gradual. A gradual move in fuel tax could work however as is PAYG so more justifiable I think.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My guess is that the Chancellor will put the fuel duty escalator on diesel (maybe including the years that it hasn’t been imposed) and leave petrol alone. Wouldn’t be surprised to see other measures too.

The OP is somewhat constrained in terms of choices, but if available I’d go petrol or hybrid, if available.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    Do Ford do the Connect with the EcoBoost engine? Fantastic power and economy.....and no diesel stench, noise or low-mileage issues.

I'm not an electric/hybrid fan - just figuring the Hydrogen cell will master the market in a few years and battery power will be scrap........
    Just one petrol option with the Connect which is 100ps manual ecoboost, the zcady is available with their TSI petrol in either 84ps manual or 125ps auto.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vekslak View Post
    sorry I have to say it like this but buying a diesel for 10 miles a day would be just plain stupid.
    Remarkably restrained comment! I think the conventional wisdom was only get a diesel for high (probably >12,000 pa) mileage even before the London mayor and Chancellor started getting nasty.

This is another 'leccy van option:

https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/ne...s/e-nv200.html

Defo get petrol. For the extra money you'd spend on a Diesel engine not sure you'd really get your money back. Modern petrol engines are increasingly economical to negate diesel for most people. As a poster has said the Ford economist engines are good performers in terms of power and economy despite being some like 1ltr (they are turbo charged). Diesels only become economical really once they've warmed up- if you are doing a couple of short journeys, they prob won't even reach that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogdensnut View Post
    Defo get petrol. For the extra money you'd spend on a Diesel engine not sure you'd really get your money back. Modern petrol engines are increasingly economical to negate diesel for most people. As a poster has said the Ford economist engines are good performers in terms of power and economy despite being some like 1ltr (they are turbo charged). Diesels only become economical really once they've warmed up- if you are doing a couple of short journeys, they prob won't even reach that point.

Forgot to mention that the VW TSI engines are great too but you'll pay more for a VW and probably get less kit for the money.

Just one petrol option with the Connect which is 100ps manual ecoboost, the zcady is available with their TSI petrol in either 84ps manual or 125ps auto.
    Ta. That's the direction I'd go in at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Remarkably restrained comment! I think the conventional wisdom was only get a diesel for high (probably >12,000 pa) mileage even before the London mayor and Chancellor started getting nasty.

This is another 'leccy van option:

https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/ne...s/e-nv200.html
    This^^^

At 10 miles a day you’ll only need to charge once a week. If you can’t get an electric supply to where you park, there are plenty of public chargers which may be suitable.

I’ve seen NV200 combis converted to wheelchair access so the e-NV200 should also be possible.

Craftsman
    Do not buy a new diesel vehicle with that usage profile - it will have problems

Grand Master
    5 mile commute, forget what car and get a push bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    You’ll struggle to get a wheelchair on a pushbike!

Master
    With a trailer for the wheelchair?

Master

You probably need to read the thread

Gso, should a diesel definately be ruled out?
    If you're even contemplating a diesel we need a beer together.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Well I'm going to buck the trend and go against 95% of the comments here.
    No I haven't been on the sauce all afternoon BUT I simply don't see the problems with modern Diesel engines that everyone appears to have.
    From my own personal experience I've had 3 Diesel engine vehicles which were fitted with DPF over the past 6 years and other than needing to thrash the Saab down the M4 because the light was on I've experienced no issues. Over the last 5 years I've had 2 Kia's (Sportage and now Sorento) and I haven't had a minutes problem with either. Both cars were not driven long distances on a regular basis and spent most of their journeys on school runs of less than 3 miles a day. Possibly twice a month they may get a longer run of plus 40 miles. To give some perspective the Sorento which is 3 years old next November has just had its 2nd service and has only very recently clicked over to 10k.
    We need a large vehicle with boot space which has to be at least 40inches across the boot as we have 2 chocolate labs which always come away with us- add all the crap that 2 older kids bring with them on holiday and our choice of vehicle is very limited and even more so with engine choice.

Professionally speaking my own view of the DPf issue is nowhere near bad as a lot of people make out and certainly nothing like you read in the press. If there was ever a vehicle going to be affected by an issue then the good old school run Chelsea Tractor would surely be plagued with problems. Granted I live in a more rural area but people still use these cars for school runs and short journeys.
    The Defenders we see spend a lot of time idling and in low range and barely more than idling around farms but again I don't see a problems with DPF.

From my own perspective I would have no worries in buying a Diesel and will probably do so again in a years time.

Craftsman
    Well I'm going to buck the trend and go against 95% of the comments here.
    No I haven't been on the sauce all afternoon BUT I simply don't see the problems with modern Diesel engines that everyone appears to have.
    From my own personal experience I've had 3 Diesel engine vehicles which were fitted with DPF over the past 6 years and other than needing to thrash the Saab down the M4 because the light was on I've experienced no issues. Over the last 5 years I've had 2 Kia's (Sportage and now Sorento) and I haven't had a minutes problem with either. Both cars were not driven long distances on a regular basis and spent most of their journeys on school runs of less than 3 miles a day. Possibly twice a month they may get a longer run of plus 40 miles. To give some perspective the Sorento which is 3 years old next November has just had its 2nd service and has only very recently clicked over to 10k.
    We need a large vehicle with boot space which has to be at least 40inches across the boot as we have 2 chocolate labs which always come away with us- add all the crap that 2 older kids bring with them on holiday and our choice of vehicle is very limited and even more so with engine choice.

Professionally speaking my own view of the DPf issue is nowhere near bad as a lot of people make out and certainly nothing like you read in the press. If there was ever a vehicle going to be affected by an issue then the good old school run Chelsea Tractor would surely be plagued with problems. Granted I live in a more rural area but people still use these cars for school runs and short journeys.
    The Defenders we see spend a lot of time idling and in low range and barely more than idling around farms but again I don't see a problems with DPF.

From my own perspective I would have no worries in buying a Diesel and will probably do so again in a years time.
    I wouldn’t - your vehicle will meet EU5 regulations which have a higher NOx limit than the EU6 regulations now in force.

With these new regulations the engine out soot levels have increased which means DPF’s have to work harder. This is because NOx and soot are a trade off against each other.

As you can’t get engine out NOx low enough on EU6 you also have an after treatment system - either a lean NOx trap or a selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system that uses Adblue.

In summary a short drive cycle usage pattern on an EU6 diesel will cause the user issues - buy something else

PS - I’m an automotive engineer who works in this area of development and I drive a diesel but my drive cycle is OK for a diesel product

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    I wouldn’t - your vehicle will meet EU5 regulations which have a higher NOx limit than the EU6 regulations now in force.

With these new regulations the engine out soot levels have increased which means DPF’s have to work harder. This is because NOx and soot are a trade off against each other.

As you can’t get engine out NOx low enough on EU6 you also have an after treatment system - either a lean NOx trap or a selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system that uses Adblue.

In summary a short drive cycle usage pattern on an EU6 diesel will cause the user issues - buy something else

PS - I’m an automotive engineer who works in this area of development and I drive a diesel but my drive cycle is OK for a diesel product
    well I wish I could share your sceptisms but I can't. My car is EU6 btw

Craftsman

Got a VW Touareg 3.0 V6 turbo diesel year before last.

Had it just under 2 years now, done 9700 miles in that time.

Commute is 10 miles each way, 20 miles a day. Trip to shops is 3 miles there and back. Trip to tow is 10 miles there and back.

Long distance runs? Maybe 10 in the time I’ve had it.

Zero problems with it, no regen problems. No problems with the stop start stopping working because the battery isn’t getting enough charge.

I would certainly be happy getting a VW diesel for your needs.

Ok so with that commute you are not going to benefit from a diesel, modern ones have a diesel particulate filter (DPF) & this will clog up in no time, for your commute you'll be best off with a hybrid, electric or petrol car, basically anything but diesel.

Master
    5 miles each way? Cycle or walk.

Craftsman
    OP Does it need to have a ramp, or just room for a collapsed wheelchair?

If you really are only going to do 5 miles x 2 per day, and a new car is going to be £18000 - £20000, and these trips will be regular, maybe you could have a word with your local taxi firm to sort out some sort of contract. Due to an accident two years ago, a friend of mine can no longer drive and goes everywhere by cab. He worked out how much it has cost him and was amazed at how much he has saved, over owning and running a car. Although a bit inconvenient at times, he had no worries about insurance, tax or maintenance costs or even vehicle depreciation.

Good luck in your decision.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    OP Does it need to have a ramp, or just room for a collapsed wheelchair?
    Fully converted wheelchair access.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    5 miles each way? Cycle or walk.
    I’m guessing you haven’t read the thread

Blog Entries
    Fully converted wheelchair access.
    Ben given this does the motability scheme come into the scenario?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Ben given this does the motability scheme come into the scenario?
    It could but have had Motability before and prefer to buy outright.

Money is not the issue Mart.